Thread: Adam Seagull (4 mths old) died from overdose of Benadryl

Adam Seagull (4 mths old) died from overdose of Benadryl

I thought there was a thread somewhere about an overdose with Benadryl. I couldn't find it.
    Wasn't sure where to put this but there may end up being charges against somebody.

Why the hell would anybody give a baby Benadryl? Probably to put him to sleep.

FAIRFIELD, Conn. ? The death of a 4-month-old baby at an unlicensed home day care in Connecticut has been ruled a homicide after toxicology reports found high levels of Benadryl in the infant?s system.

Police in Fairfield say they?re investigating the March 22 death of Adam Seagull, of Shelton, Conn. An autopsy has concluded the baby died from acute diphenhydramine intoxication.

His death was initially ruled an accident from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Deputy Police Chief Chris Lyddy says there had been no signs of trauma and the baby had not been sick.

No criminal charges have been filed. Lyddy says the investigation is ongoing.
    The tragic death of an infant boy in Connecticut has been ruled a homicide by a medical examiner after authorities say he died from a Benadryl overdose while being looked after at an unlicensed daycare.

Adam Seagull was being cared for at a home in the well-heeled town of Fairfield March 22 when Carol Cardillo called 911 after she was unable to wake up the 4-month-old.

Paramedics responded, but Adam could not be resuscitated. In July, investigators revealed the boy had high levels of the anti-histamine diphenhydramine in his system.

Read: Babysitter Charged With Murder in Infant's Benadryl Overdose Death

This past week, Fairfield police say Adam's death, originally believed to have been the result of SIDS, has been ruled a homicide by the state medical examiner.

Deputy Police Chief Chris Lyddy told reporters that investigators have not yet been able to rule out any suspects in the child's death.

Cardillo has denied giving Adam Benadryl. She told police she gave him a bottle around noon and then put him down for a nap. When she checked on him just before 3 p.m., she said he was unresponsive.

According to police, there were four adults in the home at the time and seven children other than Adam. Cardillo has reportedly run the daycare operation without a license out of her home for 11 years.

No charges have been filed in the case, which remains under investigation.

Multiple calls placed to Cardillo's home rang unanswered Thursday afternoon.
    http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...led-a-homicide

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Exactly . I'm 99% sure it was to get the baby to sleep. I can't stand these folks that have kids then don't want to deal with everything that comes with it ie late nights, colic, crying, diapers etc. It's the same as people who get a dog, but don't like barking.

ETA : I should try reading. I missed that it was a daycare. Wtf!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Exactly . I'm 99% sure it was to get the baby to sleep. I can't stand these folks that have kids then don't want to deal with everything that comes with it ie late nights, colic, crying, diapers etc. It's the same as people who get a dog, but don't like barking.

ETA : I should try reading. I missed that it was a daycare. Wtf!
    An unlicensed day care. There were also 7 other kids in the home. 4 toddlers and 2 infants.
    The day care is denying they gave the baby some Benedryl. The day care said they put the baby down at 12 after giving him a bottle, then checked on him at 2:55 and he was dead.
    http://www.fairfieldcitizenonline.co...-a-8382002.php

Somebody gave that baby a lot of Benedryl.
    I wonder what time the baby's parents dropped him off at daycare?

My daughter's ex-inlaws gave babies Benedryl all the time. She went to a Christmas party and her ex-sister in law was rubbing Benadryl on the baby's gums. That whole family believed in that crap.

I wonder if the cops got all the other babies/toddlers tested to see if they had high levels of Benedryl in them? I can't see the parents giving the baby Benedryl if they were fixing to drop the kid off at daycare. It wouldn't be like they needed him asleep......because he was fixing to be with somebody else all day.
    The daycare woman is an older lady. I bet she's used Benedryl before. I only say that because some of the older generations believe in that stuff.

This is not the first time I've read about a daycare doing this, and this is the result. It's obvious they gave the benedryl to the kid, denying it is going to get them nowhere.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    That is totally messed up. RIP Adam.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Adam Gregory Vasaturo Seagull (2015 - 2016)

Seagull, Adam Gregory Vasaturo
    Adam Gregory Vasaturo Seagull, beloved infant son of Matthew and Michelle (Vasaturo) Seagull of Shelton, entered into rest on Tuesday March 22, 2016 and now in heaven, is an angel watching over his family. He was born in New Haven on November 17, 2015. He is also survived by his maternal grandparents Michael and Annette Vasaturo, paternal grandparents Lewis and Gail Seagull. Two great grandmothers Antoinetta Lavorgna and Josephine Cuiffo, three aunts Stefanie Vasaturo, Jaclyn Vasaturo, and Lindsay Seagull, and one uncle Jordan Seagull. Adam was known to his family as their "little prince", "tootie muffin", "little man" and to his mother as "mama's sweet boy". His infectious smile brought immediate joy to everyone who had the privilege of experiencing it. As he would look at you with his beautiful brown eyes, your heart became bigger and fuller with love. Friends may greet Adam's family on Monday March 28, 2016 at the Edward F. Adzima funeral home, 253 Elizabeth St. Derby, from 9 to 11 am. His funeral procession will leave the funeral home at 11:30 am for a Mass of Angels at St. Mary's Church in Derby at 12 pm. Entombment will follow at Mt. St. Peter's Cemetery in Derby.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ctp...423&fhid=13047

Holy shit this is sad. that poor baby. Benadryl is not a harmless drug, adults have to take a lot to od and die but it's possible and there is no antidote. I feel for adam's parents, I can't imagine.

This is why I was always fearful of daycare facilities. But some mamas have no choice bc they have to work. I feel so badly for the mama.
    They're one job was too take care of that baby & instead they dope him up so they didn't have to deal w them. Those ppl need to be in jail.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    I've heard of this happening before. Fucking terrifying.

My daughter was a thumb sucker and went to daycare from 5 mo-4.5 yrs. to this day at 9 yo she clearly remembers one of the "teachers" covering her thumb with hot sauce, sticking it in her mouth and laughing while she cried. The daycare is closed down but I know the name of the woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    I've heard of this happening before. Fucking terrifying.

My daughter was a thumb sucker and went to daycare from 5 mo-4.5 yrs. to this day at 9 yo she clearly remembers one of the "teachers" covering her thumb with hot sauce, sticking it in her mouth and laughing while she cried. The daycare is closed down but I know the name of the woman.
    I think I'd have been less than impressed with the woman. That's abusive.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    I sent her a "lovely" Facebook message which she never responded to and contacted the previous director of the pre-school. According to FB she lives n NC now and works at another daycare....it just doesn't say which. Anybody want to do a little sleuthing for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Newly released court documents show that the Fairfield day care operator charged in the death of an infant in her care purchased 90 bottles of Benadryl over 3 1/2 years: http://connecticut.news12.com/news/r...ath-1.12321231

Parents of baby who died at Fairfield daycare speak at operator?s court arraignment: http://fox61.com/2016/09/15/babysitt...-due-in-court/
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Sounds to me like that "owner" has been druggin' kids for a longggggg fucking time. Easy money, taking care of sleeping children and babies. What a bitch.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

From TOH's link:
    In Adam's case, he had eight times the amount of the antihistamine in his system than what would be considered a "concerning" amount.
    At first I thought she just wanted the babies/kids to be sleepy, and to make sure they took a nap. Now that I'm reading she gave him 8 TIMES more than a high dose, I don't know what to believe. She had to know that would kill an infant. The bottle says don't give to anyone under the age of 2.

The thing I don't get is, if she has been doing this for awhile (hence the bottle of benedryl a week for years), and no other children had medical emergencies, you would think she would know how much to give. I wonder if one of the other adults did it?

Regardless, my heart goes out to these parents. I'm sure they are heartbroken.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I wondered that too, ang. Maybe more than one person was dosing kids and that's how it happened. Ugh. Those poor kiddos. Too bad no one ever questioned her purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    I wondered that too, ang. Maybe more than one person was dosing kids and that's how it happened. Ugh. Those poor kiddos. Too bad no one ever questioned her purchases.
    I bet you're right.... heartbreaking

Either that or she lost track of who she had already given Benadryl to. It probably gets confusing dosing kids all the time, day after day.

When my son has a cold and I'm giving him multiple medications like cough suppressant, decongestant and ibuprofen, I write down what I give him and the time, because I worry about accidentally doubling up on something.

And I don't think she had any helpers there with her unless I missed something (which is entirely possible).

I kinda doubt she did it on purpose, but, either way, she deserves the charges. "Magic touch," my ass. How dare her give any kid a medication that's not authorized by the parents/doctor ... especially an infant. So shitty.
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Well now I see there were other adults in the home, but I'm not sure if they helped out or just lived there ...

Maybe the Benedryl was having an opposite effect on Baby Adam?? Instead of sleepy, it was making him wired up.

Benedryl does that to me. Makes me feel like my nerves are on edge and I can't sleep.

So she gave him more and more.

Sounds like she's been doping up kids for a long time.
    I can't even imagine what the parents/kids went through when they no longer needed her for services. Those kids probably had some serious withdraw.
    Or when the parent would have a day off with their kid. Why won't this baby go to sleep? Why is he so fussy?

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Maybe the Benedryl was having an opposite effect on Baby Adam?? Instead of sleepy, it was making him wired up.

Benedryl does that to me. Makes me feel like my nerves are on edge and I can't sleep.

So she gave him more and more.

Sounds like she's been doping up kids for a long time.
    I can't even imagine what the parents/kids went through when they no longer needed her for services. Those kids probably had some serious withdraw.
    Or when the parent would have a day off with their kid. Why won't this baby go to sleep? Why is he so fussy?
    My son also gets wired up with Benadryl. I recently found out (the hard way) that I'm allergic to Benadryl. How could she possibly do this not knowing allergies?! I'm actually surprised something terrible hasn't happened sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I thought there was a thread somewhere about an overdose with Benadryl. I couldn't find it.
    I remember that too, I think it involved a toddler and they were pills.

Thread Information