Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brexit! Britain Leaves the E.U.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

Brexit! Britain Leaves the E.U.

The U.K. has voted to leave the E.U. Scotland is going to drop them like a prostitute's panties and Wales is going down with the ship like carry on baggage. Ireland is watching the shit show while drinking a pint and I'm personally wondering if we're going to have our 32 Counties back. NI voted not to leave. For once, the U.S. isn't splashed all over the news.

LONDON ? Britain has voted to leave the European Union, a historic decision sure to reshape the nation?s place in the world, rattle the Continent and rock political establishments throughout the West.

Not long after the vote tally was completed, Prime Minister David Cameron, who led the campaign to remain in the bloc, appeared in front of No. 10 Downing Street to announce that he planned to step down by October, saying the country deserved a leader committed to carrying out the will of the people.

The stunning turn of events was accompanied by a plunge in the financial markets, with the value of the British pound and stock prices in Asia plummeting.

The margin of victory startled even proponents of a British exit. The ?Leave? campaign won by 52 percent to 48 percent. More than 17.4 million people voted in the referendum on Thursday to sever ties with the European Union, and about 16.1 million to remain in the bloc.

?I will do everything I can as prime minister to steady the ship,? Mr. Cameron said, adding, ?I do not believe it right for me to try to be the captain that steers the ship? in the long term.
    Should the United Kingdom leave or remain a member of the European Union?
    Votes Pct.
    Remain 16,141,241 48%
    Leave 17,410,742 52

382 out of 382 counting areas

3:56 AM ET

Winner called by BBC

Despite opinion polls before the referendum that showed either side in a position to win, the outcome nonetheless stunned much of Britain, Europe and the trans-Atlantic alliance, highlighting the power of anti-elite, populist and nationalist sentiment at a time of economic and cultural dislocation.

?Dare to dream that the dawn is breaking on an independent United Kingdom,? Nigel Farage, the leader of the U.K. Independence Party, one of the primary forces behind the push for a referendum on leaving the European Union, told cheering supporters just after 4 a.m.

Chuka Umunna, a Labour lawmaker, called the vote ?a seismic moment for our country.? Keith Vaz, another Labour legislator, said: ?This is a crushing decision, this is a terrible day for Britain and a terrible day for Europe. In 1,000 years, I would never have believed that the British people would vote for this.?

In Berlin, the German foreign minister, Frank-Walter Steinmeier, called the news ?truly sobering? and said, ?It looks like a sad day for Europe and for Britain.?

Britain will become the first country to leave the 28-member bloc, which has been increasingly weighed down by its failures to deal fully with a succession of crises, from the financial collapse of 2008 to a resurgent Russia and the huge influx of migrants last year.
    Photo
    Supporters of the campaign to leave, one draped in Britain?s Union Jack, in central London on Friday. Credit Adam Ferguson for The New York Times

It was a remarkable victory for the country?s anti-Europe forces, which not long ago were considered to have little chance of prevailing.

Financial markets, which had been anticipating that Britain would vote to stay in, started plunging before the vote tally was complete, putting pressure on central banks and regulators to take steps to guard against a spread of the damage. Economists had predicted that a vote to leave the bloc could do substantial damage to the British economy.

Mr. Cameron had vowed before the vote to move quickly to begin the divorce process if Britain voted to leave. But he suggested on Friday that he would seek to calm the atmosphere before taking any action. In the meantime, nothing will change immediately on either side of the Channel, with existing trade and immigration rules remaining in place. The withdrawal process is expected to be complex and contentious, though under the bloc?s governing treaty it is effectively limited to two years.

For the European Union, the result is a disaster, raising questions about the direction, cohesion and future of a bloc built on liberal values and shared sovereignty that represents, with NATO, a vital component of Europe?s postwar structure.

Britain is the second-largest economy after Germany in the European Union, a nuclear power with a seat on the United Nations Security Council, an advocate of free-market economics and a close ally of the United States.
    Latest Updates

The loss of Britain is an enormous blow to the credibility of a bloc already under pressure from slow growth, high unemployment, the migrant crisis, Greece?s debt woes and the conflict in Ukraine.

?The main impact will be massive disorder in the E.U. system for the next two years,? said Thierry de Montbrial, founder and executive chairman of the French Institute of International Relations. ?There will be huge political transition costs, on how to solve the British exit, and the risk of a domino effect or bank run from other countries that think of leaving.?

Europe will have to ?reorganize itself in a system of different degrees of association,? said Karl Kaiser, a Harvard professor and former director of the German Council on Foreign Relations. ?Europe does have an interest in keeping Britain in the single market, if possible, and in an ad hoc security relationship.?
    Continue reading the main story
    Britain?s E.U. Referendum
    Voters will decide on June 23 whether or not Britain will remain part of the European Union.

While leaders of the Leave campaign spoke earnestly about sovereignty and the supremacy of Parliament or in honeyed tones about ?the bright sunlit uplands? of Britain?s future free of Brussels, it was anxiety about immigration ? membership in the European Union means freedom of movement and labor throughout the bloc ? that defined and probably swung the campaign.

With net migration to Britain of 330,000 people in 2015, more than half of them from the European Union, Mr. Cameron had no effective response to how he could limit the influx. And there was no question that while the immigrants contributed more to the economy and to tax receipts than they cost, parts of Britain felt that its national identity was under assault and that the influx was putting substantial pressure on schools, health care and housing.

The campaign run by one of the loudest proponents of leaving, the U.K. Independence Party, flirted with xenophobia, nativism and what some of its critics considered racism. But the official, more mainstream Leave campaign also invoked immigration as an issue, and its slogan, ?Take control,? resonated with voters who feel that the government is failing to regulate the inflow of people from Europe and beyond.

Other anti-establishment and far-right parties in Europe, like the National Front of Marine Le Pen in France, Geert Wilders?s party in the Netherlands and the Alternative for Germany party will celebrate the outcome. The depth of anti-Europe sentiment could be a key factor in national elections scheduled next year in the other two most important countries of the European Union, France and Germany.

The British campaign featured assertions and allegations tossed around with little regard to the facts. Both sides played to emotion, and the most common emotion played upon was fear.

The ?Remain? side, citing scores of experts and elite opinion, warned that leaving the bloc, a so-called Brexit, would mean an economic catastrophe, a plunging pound, higher taxes, more austerity and the loss of jobs.

The Leave side warned that remaining would produce uncontrolled immigration, crime and terrorism, with hordes pouring into Britain from Turkey, a country of 77 million Muslims that borders Syria and Iraq and hopes to join the European Union.
    Photo
    A referendum results party on Thursday at the Lexington pub in north London. Credit Andrew Testa for The New York Times

Just a week before the vote, the country was jolted by the brutal murder of a young Labour member of Parliament, Jo Cox, 41, a strong supporter of Remain. A man who prosecutors said shouted ?Britain first,? ?This is for Britain? and ?Keep Britain independent? was charged with her murder.

In England especially, 85 percent of the population of Britain, many people fell back on national pride, cultural exceptionalism and nostalgia. Many English voters chose to believe the insistence of anti-Europe leaders like Boris Johnson, the former mayor of London and potential challenger to Mr. Cameron, that as a great nation, Britain would be more powerful and successful outside the European Union than inside.

In Scotland and Northern Ireland, by contrast, there was a strong pro-Europe feeling that has only increased tensions within the United Kingdom itself.

With this result, those who favor Scottish independence will have a new wind for another referendum, even if they may wish to wait until they are sure to win one.

And Northern Ireland, which has long had an open border with the Republic of Ireland, a member of the European Union, will face a new reality. That open border will become the border between the European Union and a nonmember, and for security and economic reasons it will have to be equipped with border posts to check goods and passports.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/wo...ndum.html?_r=0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Cont'd.

Mr. Cameron felt pushed into announcing the referendum in 2013 by the anti-Europe wing of his own party, amplified by concerns among other Tories that U.K. Independence Party and Mr. Farage were cutting too sharply into the Conservative vote.

Still, Mr. Cameron entered the campaign with the force of economic experts, President Obama, European allies and big business behind him. But as ever, referendums are not about the question asked but the political mood at the time, and the political mood is sour.

Mr. Cameron was also, predictably, undermined by the new Labour Party leader, Jeremy Corbyn, a man of the more traditional hard left who was a surprise choice to lead the party after its disastrous defeat in the May 2015 elections.

Mr. Corbyn voted against British membership in what was then the European Economic Community in the last referendum, in 1975. This time, he said he and Labour would support continued membership, but he refused to campaign alongside Mr. Cameron, reluctant to save his political opponent.

And asked how he felt about the European Union, Mr. Corbyn said he was “not a huge fan,” and on a scale of 10, Mr. Corbyn said between “seven and seven and a half.”

While Mr. Cameron emphasized risks to Britain’s economy and security and national influence, Mr. Corbyn talked of protecting workers’ rights.

The victory of the Leave campaign and Britain’s exit from the European Union risks making Britain a poorer place, if the pre-referendum economic forecasts prove true, and hurting many of the very people that Mr. Corbyn represents.

On the bright side, Ani's dollar will go much further on her trip

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    That is definitely a positive ~ go Ani.

In no particular order, as I?m writing them off the top of my head:

1. So, the pound has crashed to a 30 year low, trading was halted on the Japanese stock market, other markets are plunging, David Cameron is resigning, Scotland wants another independence referendum, Sinn Fein is pushing for Irish reunification, Nigel Farage went on TV and said, basically, ?Hey, remember when we said we were gonna put that EU money into our health service? We lied,? and the EU is saying to the UK, you want out, fine, but let?s make this quick. Yup, welcome to Brexit!

2. If you want an inside view of this mess, I suggest Charlie Stross? take on it. His opening line is ?Okay, so the idiots did it; they broke the UK,? which as far as I can see is entirely accurate.

3. From the outside, I wish I could say it looks totally unfathomable, but it doesn?t, because, hello, Donald Trump is the GOP nominee for president over here. The same bigoted, emotional, don?t-need-to-know-facts impulses that powered the Brexit vote to 52% put Trump into general presidential race. The irony is that some of these UK voters are apparently surprised that they carried the day. News folk over in the UK are now telling us that a fair number of people who voted ?Leave? didn?t really think it was going to happen, so what was the harm in voting for it. Cornwall, which voted to leave, is now saying the UK government must replace its EU subsidies. Good luck with that, Cornwall. Maybe get in line behind the NHS for that money.

It should be noted that all the horrible things that are currently happening because of Brexit were called by the very experts that Michael Gove asserted, correctly, alas, that voters were tired of. This does seem to suggest that perhaps, for future reference, experts might be listened to from time to time. Also that a protest vote is still a vote, and as Nader voters learned (or, sadly, didn?t), you shouldn?t protest vote if you?re not willing to live with the implications of your protest, the implications, having been outlined to you by, you know, experts.

(This is where a few Nader voters spin up and whine that nuh-uh, they totally didn?t throw the election to Bush. Dudes, sit the fuck down, already.)

4. To make this about the US for a moment: Could the same bigoted, emotional, don?t-need-to-know-facts impulses that pulled Brexit over the line actually put Trump into the White House? They could, sure! It?s not likely, because a) the Democratic advantage in the Electoral College, b) Trump to date running the most incompetent general campaign in the modern history of US politics, but there still are relevant lessons to be learned from Brexit. First and foremost, that it won because the people who voted for it the most were exactly Trump?s demographic here in the US: Older white folks from economically shaky areas ? and they turned out in force, voting in substantially higher numbers than, say, the younger UK voters, who were overwhelmingly for remaining, but who didn?t vote anywhere near the numbers of older voters.

Which is the second thing, of course: folks, when it comes to politics, if you don?t vote, what you think kinda means dick. Here in the US, the people who love Trump are gonna show up on election day. 100% sure of that prediction. We know they will because they already did. And you can say, yes, but there?s not enough of them overall, and I will say to you, fuck you and your complacent ass, I want him to lose in a goddamn landslide. I want him electorally nuked from orbit. It?s the only way to be sure. Everyone needs to vote. It?s really that important.

With that said, it should be noted that Trump is currently blathering that he thinks that the Brexit, which is plunging the British economy into a trench and giving the global economy a haircut, is perfectly fabulous. He literally just said that he thinks Brexit is great because the pound dropping means more people will come to his golf course, which I think is the 21st century?s gold standard entry in the ?fiddling while Rome burns? sweepstakes. So maybe, perhaps, the combination of economic implosion and Trump?s smug wanking about it will be the thing that convinces any fiscal conservative still holding out on Clinton to pinch their nose and vote for her in November, because she?s not in fact a raging cauldron of economic stupidity? Maybe? But probably not? We?ll see.

So yeah: Trump could take it. Brexit shows us how. Don?t get cocky. And vote, for fuck?s sake.

5. To get personal for a moment, over on Twitter I was asked whether or not, as an American, Brexit was actually going to have an impact on my life. Yes, it surely does! For one thing, I sell books in the UK, through my UK publishers (Gollancz and Tor UK), and I get paid in pound sterling, which is currently being punched in the throat, in terms of exchange rate. For another, the UK economy is likely to plunge into a recession, which will make it harder to sell books there, so that?s not great either. I also sell in other territories around the world, particularly in Europe, and Brexit is a destabilizing force there, which is likely not good for me. And of course the US economy is itself likely to get some buffeting from it, too.

But wait, there?s more! I like many Americans have retirement stock investments, which look to take a 2008-sized pummel. I should also note that 2008?s global recession was pretty terrible for publishing, the field I?m in, and writers in particular got it high and hard, so if things go south in general, that also makes things more difficult for folks in my field.

So, yes, directly and indirectly, Brexit is going to have an impact on my life, as an American and also as a working writer. Thanks, UK.

The good news for me, such as it is, is that last year I signed long-term publishing contracts with Tor (for printed/electronic books) and Audible (for audio). Those contracts basically act as an economic hedge for me, which is a thing I entirely intended them to be when I signed them ? not against Brexit, to be clear, but against general instability in the publishing world. But they work for Brexit, too, as well as any knock-on economic fallout that might come from it. So, yay, go me and my fundamentally fiscally conservative nature.

6. But let?s be honest, if the world economy goes to shit, my contracts aren?t going to save me any more than they?re going to save anyone else, they?ll just slightly delay my fall into the abyss. The best case scenario at this point is merely that the UK is screwed for a while, and the rest of the global economy routes around it. The worst case scenario is, well, a bit grimmer, economically and otherwise. I?m hoping for the best case scenario (sorry, UK). I?ll be financially planning for other things.

(However, people in the US, etc ? please do not panic about your retirement accounts just yet, unless you are, in fact, just about to retire. The whole point of retirement accounts is you sock money away in them and then let them do their thing. There will be ups and downs. This is a down. There will, hopefully, be more ups to come.)

To my friends in the UK who have to deal with this directly: My sympathies. May the pain be relatively brief. You can come camp out on my lawn if you need to. To my friends in the US: Fucking vote in November, already.
    http://whatever.scalzi.com/2016/06/2...exit/#comments
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Fuck this shit. Today I'm ashamed to be British. People believed all of the shit about immigration, freaked out over Turkey and voted to leave. Well congratulations because now instead of being a part of the EU, we get to kiss their arses instead in the hope that they will still deal with us. I hope all of the people who voted leave are happy when Boris is fucking around in Downing Street as Prime Minister.

One of the arguments in favour of leaving the EU that I read the other day said that Turkey is a Muslim country and we don't want to be flooded with Muslims. That pretty much summed up the entire argument for me. Fucking disgusting.

One of the most sensible things I've read today was a comment saying that when Donald Trump congratulates you on a decision you've made, you know you've made the wrong decision. Awesome job UK!

I'm so sorry, Leap. This shit is insane and you're exactly right. This crap was fueled by racism which is a sad sign of our times and why Trump actually has a shot here in the States. England and the U.S. fought together to end Nazi Germany. Now they're BECOMING Nazi Germany.

Puzz, that was an AMAZING article. Love it.

I'm so sorry, Leap. This shit is insane and you're exactly right. This crap was fueled by racism which is a sad sign of our times and why Trump actually has a shot here in the States. England and the U.S. fought together to end Nazi Germany. Now they're BECOMING Nazi Germany.

Puzz, that was an AMAZING article. Love it.
    I'm really hoping that things will stabilise after everyone stops freaking out. I'd love for Britain to have more control over our laws, borders, etc but I don't think that this was the way to do it.

I don't think we will get as much independence as people think we will. We need the EU and we've just pissed them off.

Right? I should have waited a week to change my money at the bank. 75 bucks for 50 pounds? I feel used.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by leapfreak View Post
    Fuck this shit. Today I'm ashamed to be British. People believed all of the shit about immigration, freaked out over Turkey and voted to leave. Well congratulations because now instead of being a part of the EU, we get to kiss their arses instead in the hope that they will still deal with us. I hope all of the people who voted leave are happy when Boris is fucking around in Downing Street as Prime Minister.

One of the arguments in favour of leaving the EU that I read the other day said that Turkey is a Muslim country and we don't want to be flooded with Muslims. That pretty much summed up the entire argument for me. Fucking disgusting.

One of the most sensible things I've read today was a comment saying that when Donald Trump congratulates you on a decision you've made, you know you've made the wrong decision. Awesome job UK!
    Thank you for putting this in terms I can understand and for using curse words. I'm sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Thank you for putting this in terms I can understand and for using curse words. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Haha sorry. I originally came back to edit it because I was all sweary. My excuse is that I've had a really bad 24 hours which have nothing to do with the voting. It was just the final straw

Haha sorry. I originally came back to edit it because I was all sweary. My excuse is that I've had a really bad 24 hours which have nothing to do with the voting. It was just the final straw
    Girl, you do you. I fucking love sweary people. Hope you're doing ok.

Right? I should have waited a week to change my money at the bank. 75 bucks for 50 pounds? I feel used.
    You already exchanged your money!? Fuck.....

You already exchanged your money? You can use atms there and get the latest exchange rate.

I'm with you, Leap. I can't even articulate what I feel about this mess.

What a bunch of dumb fucks.

Just enough to get me through the airport and on my way to where I'm staying. I got a bank account with no foreign transaction fees or at fees but I wasn't sure if I'd have the card before I left the states.

Ok I am seriously lacking in the area of politics. It is so not my strong point. Even though I may be laughed off the boards for this, someone please dumb this down and explain it to me like I'm a 12 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenobarbiedoll View Post
    Ok I am seriously lacking in the area of politics. It is so not my strong point. Even though I may be laughed off the boards for this, someone please dumb this down and explain it to me like I'm a 12 year old.
    The EU (European Union) is a group that a bunch of mainly European countries belong to. Basically we pay the EU a lot of money to tell us what to do. They make laws and trade deals and a bunch of other really boring stuff.

There is free movement between EU countries so people who are from another country within the EU can move to a different country within the EU. Britain decided that we no likey foreigners or being told what to do so voted to leave the EU and screw ourselves over.

The EU (European Union) is a group that a bunch of mainly European countries belong to. Basically we pay the EU a lot of money to tell us what to do. They make laws and trade deals and a bunch of other really boring stuff.

There is free movement between EU countries so people who are from another country within the EU can move to a different country within the EU. Britain decided that we no likey foreigners or being told what to do so voted to leave the EU and screw ourselves over.

Ah I understand now! Thank you!

What a bunch of dumb fucks.
    Exactly. Except Leap & I have to live alongside these dumb fucks.
    I was the only one in my work who wanted to stay in the EU.

Problem is some of the British still hold on to this notion that as we once we were the workshop of the world pre-Worl War 1 and that we can get back to that. We can't.
    Also a lot of people bought in to the scaremongering in the media about immigration.
    Last edited by Gemini; 06-24-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

Problem is some of the British still hold on to this notion that as we once we're the workshop of the world pre-Worl War 1 and that we can get back to that. We can't.
    Also a lot of people bought in to the scaremongering in the media about immigration.
    Most people I know voted to remain. One of my colleagues voted to leave and spent all day today moaning about the "foreigners" and saying how good things are going to be now

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    True that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

Problem is some of the British still hold on to this notion that as we once we were the workshop of the world pre-Worl War 1 and that we can get back to that. We can't.
    All of my friends obviously voted to stay, and it was amazing watching their white trash old relatives and shit pop up on their Facebooks to deliver the same nonsensical rhetoric dumb white trash in America supporting trump comes up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenobarbiedoll View Post
    https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...-horrible-idea
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information