Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Pulse Nightclub Mass Shooting in Orlando, FL

JUST IN: Noor Salman, wife of Orlando nightclub shooter Omar Mateen, arrested today in San Francisco, ABC News confirms. She is expected to be extradited to Tampa, Florida, where she was indicted, and to make her first court appearance on Tuesday. http://abcn.ws/2iE7YPX

I can't say I'm disappointed. I've truly felt that at the least, she knew what he was going to do and could have stopped it even if my anonymous tip or at the very most, was in on it. Either way, I wouldn't want her not to be held at least somewhat accountable.

I still haven't seen anything that supports her being a battered wife. Otherwise I'd think twice about my feelings on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

I mean, I don't feel bad about her getting arrested but the fact that she was married to a psychopath kind of grants evidence that she was likely in an abusive relationship.

I'm glad they took their time arresting her, I think that they probably have built a pretty good case against her. I don't doubt it was an abusive relationship though.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Who says that she isn't as psychopathic as he was? Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, he hooked up with these organizations AFTER he met her. Everyone is assuming that she's some weak, shrinking violet. Why? Just because she's a Woman? Last time I checked, both sexes have pulled off radicalized attacks.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Who says that she isn't as psychopathic as he was? Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, he hooked up with these organizations AFTER he met her. Everyone is assuming that she's some weak, shrinking violet. Why? Just because she's a Woman? Last time I checked, both sexes have pulled off radicalized attacks.
    This is pretty much what I am thinking too.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

Because this is taking nothing into consideration involving the Muslim-American community, or how his previous wife and literally every person this guy ever met said he was a time bomb psycho who flipped his shit for no reason.

If you are a Muslim woman married to an overbearing, dominant man who is experiencing what I shall call a bout of religious zeal in a religion that in modern times is largely very hostile towards women, first of all, you've likely been raised in a culture where women are taught to be quite submissive to husbands. Second, you do not feel, given the current climate towards Muslim-Americans in the United States, that resources are available to you because there is an inordinate amount of racist hostility towards you.

This is not to say that it excuses her for cowardice and selfishness, but it is to say that it is more than likely contributing factors to her behavior.

Today is the one year anniversary. Here is an amazing article that includes moving pictures and stories from the families of the victims and survivors:

Very moving and heartbreaking

https://dearworld.org/orlando
    Oh well, back to gum.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Today is the one year anniversary. Here is an amazing article that includes moving pictures and stories from the families of the victims and survivors:

Very moving and heartbreaking

https://dearworld.org/orlando
    Humans suck. That's all I have to add, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Jury selection begins in trial of Pulse shooter's widow

http://www.wesh.com/article/jury-sel...widow/18936983

Jury selection started Thursday morning at the federal courthouse in downtown Orlando for the trial of Noor Salman, the widow of Pulse nightclub shooter Omar Mateen.

The jury will ultimately decide whether Salman knowingly helped Mateen plan the June 2016 attack that killed 49 people.

I think this was the right verdict. Expect certain groups to lose their minds over this verdict though. I think it would have been a VERY slippery slope if they had convicted her.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wi...id=mailsignout

Widow of Pulse nightclub gunman who killed 49 acquitted

The widow of the gunman who killed 49 people at a gay Orlando nightclub was acquitted Friday on charges of lying to the FBI and helping her husband in the 2016 attack.

Noor Salman, 31, began sobbing with joy when she was found not guilty of charges of obstruction and providing material support to a terrorist organization, WKMG reported . Salman was married to Omar Mateen when he attacked the Pulse nightclub. Police killed him after the massacre.

Prosecutors said Salman and her husband scouted out potential targets together — including Disney World’s shopping and entertainment complex — and she knew he was buying ammunition for his AR-15 in preparation for a jihadi attack. She knew that he had a sick fascination with violent jihadi videos and an affinity for Islamic State group websites and gave him a “green light to commit terrorism,” prosecutors said.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I think this was the right verdict. Expect certain groups to lose their minds over this verdict though. I think it would have been a VERY slippery slope if they had convicted her.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wi...id=mailsignout

Widow of Pulse nightclub gunman who killed 49 acquitted
    I agree with the slippery slope. I personally feel that she was voluntarily involved to a certain extent, but I can see how they would never be able to prove that.
    Oh well, back to gum.

I agree with the slippery slope. I personally feel that she was voluntarily involved to a certain extent, but I can see how they would never be able to prove that.
    We have a school shooter that multiple people turned in to the FBI, and they did NOTHING. I personally turned someone in to LE because they had a gun and ammunition and were threatening to kill people, and they later killed a person, and was told "meh, we can't do anything until they actually commit a crime".

The gunman had not broken any laws until the point when he went to the nightclub and started shooting...all these 2nd amendment nuts will have to give an amen to that because he was doing exactly what they say is all our constitutionally protected right by buying assault weapons and ammo.

So other than the fact that he was brown, which seems to be a crime in itself these days, what exactly was she going to do? If she reported him to someone (assuming she thought he would actually do anything) the odds seem to be that nothing would have/could have been done until he actually killed someone. So if she reported him and they just looked into it and did nothing, she probably would have been killed or beaten at the very last, based on the patriarchal society she lived in.

She was supposed to put everything out there, assuming she actually knew anything, when no crime had been committed, and trust 100% that LE would take care of the problem and not put her in a compromising situation. Yeah, I'm going to have to roll my eyes on what LE assumed on that one, just based on my white girl experience of trying to turn someone in for being a crazy, gun obsessed, threatening lunatic...I can't imagine being a brown skinned muslim and expecting that to go well.

I think LE was pissed they couldn't prosecute him, so they went for the next available person.

ETA: I don't know how well the story was covered elsewhere, but being in Florida I saw a lot of coverage. I don't watch the news normally, but I was in several doctor's offices around the time the trial was starting, so I saw a good deal of coverage. They were saying that every statement that was damning to her was supposedly said off camera,and one particular FBI agent was the one that heard all her confessions, while all the rest of the footage of her interviews showed nothing to really implicate her. Supposedly she initialed the statement backing up the damning statements, but that too was done off camera and according to the FBI agent she was "too nervous to write it herself". Also, some of her supposed confession was proven to be false, so many thought it was a coerced false confession. Do I think she's a good person? No, but I think not guilty was the right verdict on this one.

http://www.wmfe.org/fbi-agent-ricard...tatement/84593
    FBI Agent Ricardo Enriquez testified about statements he says Noor Salman gave in the hours after the Pulse shooting that left 49 dead and more than 50 injured. He says Salman told him that she tried to stop her husband, and “burned up his phone” with texts and calls in her attempt.

Enriquez told prosecutors Salman dictated three statements him. He said he had her initial each paragraph and sign the end of each statement. Enriquez testified that Salman told him she was too nervous to write the statements herself, and asked if he would commit them for her.

He testified that after the more than four-hour interview was over, Salman had admitted to scouting the Pulse nightclub for the attack, and spending the couple’s savings asking what he said was an odd question at the end of the interview, “When do I get my money? Omar left me money. When do I get my money?”

The prosecution is using the statements, to suggest Salman knew about her husband’s plans and actively participated in them, while the defense says a lack of video evidence and a monitor during the FBI interrogation, suggest Salman could have easily been coerced.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/u...n-florida.html

Mr. Mateen began abusing her about six months into their marriage, Ms. Salman said in a November 2016 interview with The New York Times, her only public comments since the shooting. While she was pregnant, she said, he punched her in the shoulder so hard that it bruised. Afterward, before they went to meet his parents, she said he told her: “Wipe your eyes. This stays between us, or it’s going to get worse.”

Ms. Salman said she was unaware of her husband’s plans to attack the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fla.

“I don’t condone what he has done,” she said. “I am very sorry for what has happened. He has hurt a lot of people.”

Ms. Salman was arrested in January 2017 in the San Francisco Bay Area, where she had been staying with family. She has been in jail since then.

Prosecutors have said that Ms. Salman made financial arrangements with Mr. Mateen in advance of the attack and fabricated a cover story for her husband hours before the shooting. The F.B.I. said in statements to the court that she later confessed to agents that she had joined Mr. Mateen on a trip to scout the nightclub as a possible target.

On the night of the shooting, according to court records, Ms. Salman told Mr. Mateen’s mother that her son planned to have dinner with a friend, identified in court records only as Nemo.

Prosecutors point to this as indicating Ms. Salman’s complicity with her husband’s plot. But her lawyers say that Ms. Salman was in the dark and believed her husband did indeed have plans with Nemo, who lived in Baltimore. Investigators said Nemo told them that he had served as Mr. Mateen’s cover story to his wife when he cheated on her.

As part of her confession, according to the F.B.I., Ms. Salman said she and Mr. Mateen drove past Pulse while they were in Orlando a few weeks before the massacre. But court records filed by prosecutors about the locations Mr. Mateen cased in advance of the attack do not include the nightclub, raising doubts about Ms. Salman’s statements to the F.B.I. — and whether they might have constituted a false confession.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 03-31-2018 at 04:12 PM.

But she didn't even try.

In addition, I'm not ruling out that she wasn't even an influence in this whole thing. He turned radical after meeting her. The Sacramento terrorist attack involved a Woman. It's not out of the question that she was involved. That's all I'm saying. She wished him luck and told him she loved him. That's fucky and side eye worthy in my book.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Not saying a woman couldn't be involved just because she is a woman, but this particular woman just seems simple and stupid to me to be honest. I think she wanted him to be nice to her, and his family to be nice to her, so she didn't make waves in anything he did. Again, I could be wrong, but that's just the vibe I get off this.

Hell, I still don't think he was really involved with any terrorism group. There was a lot of talk that he was seen with other men at the clubs long before this happened, and some hypothesis that he did it because he wanted to deny his feelings for men. I think he, like so many of these school shooters, felt dissed and angry. They never really brought forward any actual connection, other than what he said to LE that night, of connections to terrorism. He had watched some videos about beheadings, but I would venture to guess that a lot of people have done that and aren't necessarily connected to ISIS or anything. He was evil, and an asshole, but I think he was just acting on his own.

Thread Information