Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Pulse Nightclub Mass Shooting in Orlando, FL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...why/?tid=sm_fb

It?s an all-too-familiar routine for Americans: mass shooting, dramatic calls for change, inaction. It happened when 20 schoolchildren were murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School. When a dozen people were killed in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater. When almost three dozen were slaughtered at Virginia Tech.

But this time, things might be different. Not because of the record number of people killed in Orlando or because this heinous act was a terrorist attack, a hate crime and a mass shooting. It?s because the victims were part of a social movement with infrastructure and political know-how largely unmatched within the gun-control movement. It?s because the attack targeted gays ? and their community is organized.

Today?s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer coalition is made up of powerful groups able to mobilize at a moment?s notice, including the NOH8 Campaign, the Human Rights Campaign and PFLAG. This robust and multifaceted apparatus is one of the most effective political movements in recent American history. It has faced down obscene public indifference to gay lives (peaking with the AIDS epidemic), violence against LGBTQ people (who suffer more hate crimes than any other protected group), laws that criminalized gay sex (Bowers v. Hardwick was overturned only in 2003) and widespread intolerance.
    To attack these issues, queer people have focused not on transforming laws but on transforming culture. In the 1960s, gay rights groups organized ?sip-ins? at bars that refused to serve ?disorderly? homosexuals. Other picketers staged ?zaps,? splashy, media-friendly protests that called attention to homophobic behavior. ?Homophile organizations? sprung up around the country to fight for queer-only spaces. Their efforts led to the establishment of hundreds of pride parades, lesbian clubs and gay bathhouses ? institutionalized ?safe spaces? where people could meet and organize.

[What the gay marriage movement tells us about the prospects for gun reform]

After Stonewall, activists shifted their focus, working to build sympathy and support among straight Americans. They called on gay people to ?come out? to family and friends, a social ritual that personalized the political (something gay rights groups learned from feminists). Organizers also broadened their message on important gay rights issues, selling things like same-sex marriage as the right to love. Efforts such as ?kiss days? at businesses opposing LGBTQ rights have linked discriminatory policies to more relatable notions of romance and relationships.

It?s worked. According to Gallup polls, in the past 20 years, Americans? support for marriage equality has jumped from 30 percent to 60 percent. Many people said they softened their attitudes because they knew a member of the LGBTQ community ? what social scientists call the ?contact hypothesis.? Today, gay groups have the organizational, financial and cultural resources to exploit political opportunities as they arise.

A similar cultural shift undergirds the country?s gun politics. Over the last 50 years, the National Rifle Association has convinced many Americans that gun ownership is a vital tool for self-defense and the key to serving as a responsible ?citizen-protector.? The organization brought this galvanizing rhetoric to the national stage through its lobbying arm. But it exerted cultural pressure, too. Its ads, magazines and political paraphernalia reach millions. And the organization?s training courses ? attended by hundreds of thousands of Americans each year ? present defensive gun use as a civic duty and the NRA as a service organization.

Today, many Americans see a gun as something to be carried alongside a wallet or a cellphone. A majority say firearms enhance public safety. The shift is as striking as the change in sentiment on same-sex marriage: Over the past 15 years, the belief that guns make a home safer jumped from 35 percent to 63 percent. Even Americans who don?t own guns agree that they are objects of safety.

[The FBI was right not to arrest Omar Mateen before the shooting]

The gun lobby and the LGBTQ movement both understand that political change requires fundamental cultural shifts. It requires deep organizational ties and the ability to connect an issue not just to a set of beliefs, but to a sense of identity. Right now, gun control advocates lack these tools. If they can mobilize gay rights against gun rights, the NRA may have finally met its match.
    It won?t be easy. The NRA has a track record of galvanizing a committed block of voters in key states. Meanwhile, the LGBTQ movement has largely focused on changing hearts and courts. In terms of electoral politics, it is unclear whether it can match the influence of the NRA to set national political agendas, especially in presidential campaigns. And those deep pockets of the NRA really are deep. The organization?s budget is more than seven times that of the Human Rights Campaign.

It?s also not clear that gay rights groups will take on gun control. Many gun proponents see gay rights as part and parcel of a broader libertarian cause. Meanwhile, some LGBTQ activists have vigorously embraced gun rights as a way to protect gay lives. The Pink Pistols group, under the slogan ?pick on someone your own caliber,? explicitly advocates the exercise of Second Amendment rights for self-protection, especially against hate crimes. The LGBTQ community is highly diverse, and attempts to ally gay rights activists with gun-control proponents may undermine the diversity that defines the movement.

Still, some Democrats, gun-control supporters and gay rights advocates are already making the link. Actor, activist and author George Takei has described the fight for gun control as ?the next chapter of LGBT history.? Many LGBTQ groups cheered the Democratic-led Senate filibuster this past week in favor of gun reforms. This outcry makes sense. This hate-motivated killing in Orlando is but one example of the broad culture of violent intolerance that LGBTQ people face. Until now, the NRA ? not just because of its sheer organizational strength and financial backing, but also because of its cultural ingenuity ? has been able to define the terms of the gun debate and the terrain of the struggle. The LGBTQ movement might just be able to change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I cried through most of the video. I've listened to Melissa Etherdige my whole life, so this gesture is even more important to me. Somehow embedding it here won't work, so just click here: https://www.facebook.com/InfinityHal...8741141532990/

Quote Originally Posted by FamousLastWords View Post
    "Impatient female driver crashes her car into the middle of a funeral procession for victim of Orlando massacre when trying to bypass it, injuring two cops"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-two-cops.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I'm not sure whether I should laugh at this a little, or a lot.
    Laugh!

Why couldn't this impatient driver run over the Westboro Bap idiots!

I am glad they were able to use the giant wings to keep WBB from seeing the actual service.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh at this a little, or a lot.
    Yeah I was like fuck this is like Tila Tequila verus Juggalos territory here.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Texting "I love you" while he was in the middle of shooting them down seems a bit supportive to me
    Yeah :/ Uh.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    I agree that most of us wouldn't think our partner capable...but only because most of our partners AREN'T capable. But when your partner had been investigated by the FBI, fired from jobs for being whackadoo, driving around casing potential targets, and buying assault weapons, well. I'm more inclined to say that it takes a stupid SOB not to see where it was going. I mean, this goes well beyond an occasional "whyIoughtakillem" rant.

What I'd like to know is whether she knew he'd been going to gay bars.
    I definitely think I'm being too lenient. After more came out, there really isn't much for her to hind behind.

And for sure - that's the million dollar question! I'm interested to know his deal in general on the sexuality front. (Even the ex might have some insights)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Pulse nightclub shooting 911 calls expected to be released Monday

ORLANDO, Fla.

As U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch heads to Orlando to discuss the Pulse nightclub shooting that left 49 dead and 53 injured, authorities were expected to release the 911 calls from that night on Monday.

Investigators were working hard to release as much information as possible, Lynch said.

Officials have said, though, that all references to the terrorist group Islamic State, or ISIS, will be removed from the 911 transcripts.

Federal investigators said they were removing the references to allow the public to get a better idea of what happened during the June 12 shooting, without glorifying ISIS or re-victimizing the survivors.

The shooter, Omar Mateen, 29, reportedly called 911 before the massacre to declare allegiance to ISIS.

Mateen was killed by police when they breached the club.

http://www.wftv.com/news/pulse-shoot...nday/352752230

Victim's father refused to claim son's body from medical examiner

Reports: Orlando shooting victim's father refused to claim son's body from medical examiner

Pride weekend ends with heartbreaking news.
    Reports claim that the father of one of the Orlando shooting victims wouldn't claim his son's body from the Orange County Medical Examiner's building.

The Advocate and Cosmopolitan report that although 48 of the 49 Orlando shooting victims' bodies have been claimed by family members, one father of a gay man who died in the shooting rejected his son's body.
    The identities of the victim and his father were not reported to "further victimize the deceased," but The Advocate said the action of the family rejecting their gay child, even when deceased, hearkens back to the not-so-distant past.

"(This) case echoes a reality that was widely seen during the height of the AIDS crisis, in which countless numbers of young gay men died and family members did not claim the bodies of their so-called loved ones," The Advocate wrote.
    The family eventually came around, reports say, but with the help of the Orange County medical examiner and the Florida Emergency Mortuary Operations Response System. There haven't been any additional reports of similar rejections.

http://www.chron.com/news/nation-wor...im-8328332.php

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvit View Post
    Reports: Orlando shooting victim's father refused to claim son's body from medical examiner

Reports claim that the father of one of the Orlando shooting victims wouldn't claim his son's body from the Orange County Medical Examiner's building.

The Advocate and Cosmopolitan report that although 48 of the 49 Orlando shooting victims' bodies have been claimed by family members, one father of a gay man who died in the shooting rejected his son's body.
    The identities of the victim and his father were not reported to "further victimize the deceased," but The Advocate said the action of the family rejecting their gay child, even when deceased, hearkens back to the not-so-distant past.

"(This) case echoes a reality that was widely seen during the height of the AIDS crisis, in which countless numbers of young gay men died and family members did not claim the bodies of their so-called loved ones," The Advocate wrote.
    The family eventually came around, reports say, but with the help of the Orange County medical examiner and the Florida Emergency Mortuary Operations Response System. There haven't been any additional reports of similar rejections.

I hate to be that guy, but thankfully it's only one family. That's progress.

Fuck, how can you feel like this about your child over something so....so.....trivial? I mean, people visit their kids in prison who have done WAY worse shit than just being attracted to the same gender. Maybe there's more to the story? Maybe he wiped his parents' savings out, and it has nothing to do with his sexuality? Gay people can be dicks too.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by luvit View Post

That reminds me of Tom Bridegroom, who fell from a roof and died in 2011. His boyfriend Shane wasn't invited to the funeral and Tom's body was put into a family grave, although his family always rejected him for being gay. At least that's what Shane says. When will we live in peace together? When will this hatred stop? Idk, this just makes me so, so sad ...

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2014..._while_working

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarrySky87 View Post
    That reminds me of Tom Bridegroom, who fell from a roof and died in 2011. His boyfriend Shane wasn't invited to the funeral and Tom's body was put into a family grave, although his family always rejected him for being gay. At least that's what Shane says. When will we live in peace together? When will this hatred stop? Idk, this just makes me so, so sad ...

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2014..._while_working
    I saw the Documentary recently. That was a heartbreaking one. His Family shut his partner completely out after pretending to accept them.

The asswipe that refused to claim his Son's body better not try to stake claim to any of the money raised for the families. It's assholes like him that would actually try pulling that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

There was a programme on here last night that had the survivors describing what happened. It was really hard to watch. They interviewed the two girls who were with the youngest girl that died. Their description of how the shooter held them hostage and kept telling them that they might as well all come out of the toilet as they were all going to die anyway was just awful. I can't even begin to imagine the horror that these people experienced.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...622-story.html

DATED: "True Life," MTV's Emmy-winning documentary series, is seeking the stories of Pulse survivors and loved ones who lost someone in the nightclub shooting.

MTV plans to gather the stories for a one-hour special that will air later this summer, a spokesman said.

Via Facebook, the show says it wants to hear from young people affected by the tragedy.

They can contact TrueLifePulse@gmail.com.

People who want to take part are encouraged to include name, location, a recent photo and backstory.

The show says: "We are in Orlando now to hear your story."

Casting producers Alicia Goode and Joseph Brian Gemelli are here.

Gemelli, who used to live in Orlando, writes on Facebook: "THIS is how we MAKE THIS MATTER. We tell the stories that no one else is telling. We humanize this. We show the world what's next and that this won't stop us from loving and making a difference in the world. We focus on where we go from here. We change the culture."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...622-story.html

DATED: "True Life," MTV's Emmy-winning documentary series, is seeking the stories of Pulse survivors and loved ones who lost someone in the nightclub shooting.

MTV plans to gather the stories for a one-hour special that will air later this summer, a spokesman said.

Via Facebook, the show says it wants to hear from young people affected by the tragedy.

They can contact TrueLifePulse@gmail.com.

People who want to take part are encouraged to include name, location, a recent photo and backstory.

The show says: "We are in Orlando now to hear your story."

Casting producers Alicia Goode and Joseph Brian Gemelli are here.

Gemelli, who used to live in Orlando, writes on Facebook: "THIS is how we MAKE THIS MATTER. We tell the stories that no one else is telling. We humanize this. We show the world what's next and that this won't stop us from loving and making a difference in the world. We focus on where we go from here. We change the culture."
    That's interesting that MTV is looking to pull this event into their TL series. I wonder how the final product will be displayed. Only because I know a couple people that have been on this show and it seems in the more recent years the story that is shown on tv is a very different story than what is happening. Meaning that it is scripted and edited to tell a story for sensationalism rather than letting the story tell itself like in the first decade of the series. I guess either way it will bring light to this tragic event, which is good.

I saw the Documentary recently. That was a heartbreaking one. His Family shut his partner completely out after pretending to accept them.

The asswipe that refused to claim his Son's body better not try to stake claim to any of the money raised for the families. It's assholes like him that would actually try pulling that shit.
    Exactly! It's assholes like that who are at the front of the line. I want to know if that happens. A sudden change of heart? I really do love my son, I was just in shock? Now where's the cash cash money. Fuck his father and family. I want to know who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by emylou View Post
    Exactly! It's assholes like that who are at the front of the line. I want to know if that happens. A sudden change of heart? I really do love my son, I was just in shock? Now where's the cash cash money. Fuck his father and family. I want to know who they are.
    Well, it was other members of his Family that did claim him. Just not his Father

Oh just the father. Well I'm glad he had some kindness in his family. Sorry, I didn't realise/read properly.

http://www.out.com/news-opinion/2016...laim-sons-body

Snipped from article
    Orlando Latino reports that the father of this particular victim, who was Puerto Rican, did not want to claim his child's remains out of shame over his son's homosexuality. After a period of convincing, the body was eventually released to Orlando-based relatives and has since been buried.

Did anyone check out the True Life "We Are Orlando"?

I was crying throughout most of it.

There was a woman named Tiara that lost a cousin and is having a hard time getting through the grief. A lot of the people shot that survived, have had multiple surgeries, on top of the PTSD.

The accounts of what went down there that day are horrifying. Apparently this shit stain claimed ISIS at one point, and said he was killing people because people were bombing his country.

There was a guy named Josh that saved a guy named Rodney, and it showed their story as well. Josh is hoping to become a nurse.

If anything positive did come out if this tragedy, it was that the community was really coming together afterwards. A guy that was shot went back to Pulse, and thanked one of the police officers for helping him.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I watched it too, and also cried. The one girl (who was with Tiara and her cousin) was completely detached from it all, it was bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    I watched it too, and also cried. The one girl (who was with Tiara and her cousin) was completely detached from it all, it was bizarre.
    Yeah, Patience seemed to be in denial, to an unhealthy level. I think she's just trying to get through school. She's going to have to deal with it eventually.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

JUST IN: Noor Salman, wife of Orlando nightclub shooter Omar Mateen, arrested today in San Francisco, ABC News confirms. She is expected to be extradited to Tampa, Florida, where she was indicted, and to make her first court appearance on Tuesday. http://abcn.ws/2iE7YPX

I can't say I'm disappointed. I've truly felt that at the least, she knew what he was going to do and could have stopped it even if my anonymous tip or at the very most, was in on it. Either way, I wouldn't want her not to be held at least somewhat accountable.

I still haven't seen anything that supports her being a battered wife. Otherwise I'd think twice about my feelings on it.

I mean, I don't feel bad about her getting arrested but the fact that she was married to a psychopath kind of grants evidence that she was likely in an abusive relationship.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    I'm glad they took their time arresting her, I think that they probably have built a pretty good case against her. I don't doubt it was an abusive relationship though.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Who says that she isn't as psychopathic as he was? Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, he hooked up with these organizations AFTER he met her. Everyone is assuming that she's some weak, shrinking violet. Why? Just because she's a Woman? Last time I checked, both sexes have pulled off radicalized attacks.

Who says that she isn't as psychopathic as he was? Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, he hooked up with these organizations AFTER he met her. Everyone is assuming that she's some weak, shrinking violet. Why? Just because she's a Woman? Last time I checked, both sexes have pulled off radicalized attacks.
    This is pretty much what I am thinking too.

Thread Information