Thread: Joseph Skylar Burnley (27) missing from Rankin County, MS since 6/4/16

Joseph Skylar Burnley (27) missing from Rankin County, MS since 6/4/16

http://www.wdam.com/story/32148166/s...-rankin-county

The man and woman believed to be the last people who saw the missing Rankin County have been arrested on drug charges.

Their names are Travis Brewer and Amanda Morris.

27-year-old Joseph Skylar Burnley was reported missing on Saturday after trying to help a couple of friends find their stolen truck.

They searched for a while in different directions, and eventually the couple went back home without Burnley.

They never could find him, but they didn't call 9-1-1 until about 15 hours later.

Now, Undersheriff Raymond Duke says that couple has been arrested on drug charges after investigators executed a search warrant at their home, looking for cell phones.

A 4-year-old child who lives there is now in DHS custody.

In a press conference Sunday, Rankin County Undersheriff Raymond Duke said 27-year Joseph Skylar Burnley of Florence was reported missing Saturday.

Officials with the Rankin County Sheriff's Department said they've covered more than 400 acres during the past two days.

They are confident he is no longer in the wooded area off of Rankin Road.

Undersheriff Duke said 'Sky' left Friday with the friend who has since been arrested, to locate the friend's stolen vehicle.

Duke said the unnamed friend was able to track his cellphone, which was inside the stolen vehicle, by using an app to an area off of Bridges Road, east of Brandon and north of I-20.

"The friend was there with his wife (who has now also been arrested) and four-year-old daughter, along with our missing individual (Skylar Burnley, who goes by Sky)," Duke said.

"The friend and (Sky) went in different directions looking for the vehicle and after a 45 minute search for the (stolen) vehicle the wife and daughter were a little hot, no air conditioner in the vehicle (they were in) ...they left the area. They called for 'Sky', but they didn't receive a response," Duke added.

Duke said the unnamed friend immediately returned to search for Sky, but he wasn't located.

Duke said Burnley and the unnamed friend began searching for the stolen vehicle around 10 a.m. Friday and the friend continued to search for Sky until around 2 p.m.

Around 1 a.m. Saturday the Rankin County Sheriff's Department received a call from the unnamed friend saying an acquaintance of his had taken his 1988 Chevy pickup and abandoned it on I-20 in Pearl, Duke said. The truck was recovered by the unnamed man.

Duke said at the time the unnamed man also stated that his friend Burnley had gone missing, while trying to help locate the stolen vehicle.

Duke said once the sheriff's office was notified, a search team and plan was put in place.

"We've spoken to the husband and wife and there are some concerns about their statements," Duke said.

This caused them to look further into this couple, and has lead to their arrest.

Duke said said family told authorities it is unlike Burnley to disappear without contacting someone.

Duke tells us Burnley does not have a criminal history or history of mental illness.

"We believe he went into the woods on his own accord, but we don't know what happened after that," Duke added.

Duke said officials are searching the area by foot, horseback and dogs are on the ground as well. Officials are also using Metro One to assist in the search.

"We're using the Mid Mississippi Strike Team, comprised of Madison, Hinds, Rankin and Yazoo county officials," Duke said.

"We are still treating this as a search and not a recovery. There is no evidence, at this time to support Burnley has been injured or harmed," Duke added.

Officials say the search will continue, but focus will shift to other leads in the case.

They encourage anyone with more information to contact the Sheriff?s Office at 601-825-1480 or tips@rankincounty.org
    http://www.clarionledger.com/story/n...-man/85450940/

Search for missing Rankin man takes a turn

Rankin County authorities believe Joseph Skylar Burnley, for whom the search continues, is no longer in the area where he was last seen when he went into the woods to look for his friend's stolen truck.

Burnley, who goes by "Sky," was last seen at 10 a.m. Friday when he and a friend and the friend's wife and 4-year-old daughter went to look for the friend's truck. The truck had been taken by someone they knew, so they hadn't reported it missing right away, said Rankin County Undersheriff Raymond Duke. The truck owner's cellphone was still in the truck, so they used an online app to try to locate the truck.

The app led them to a wooded area off of Bridges Road, between Brandon and Pelahatchie, north of I-20. They went into the woods to look for the vehicle, and they split up, Duke said. When the woman and child got too hot, the friend left the area to take them home after calling for Burnley, who didn't answer.

The friend returned to the area to continue searching and eventually found the truck broken down on the side of the road and heavily damaged around 2 p.m., Duke said.

Around 1 a.m. Saturday, the friend contacted the Rankin County Sheriff's Department to report the truck stolen.

Burnley's phone, shirt and cigarettes were left in the friend's vehicle when he got out to search, Duke said, so he could not be contacted by phone.

The area where Burnley went missing is surrounded on all four sides by roads and trails, so it shouldn't be hard to find the way out, Duke said, so police believed Burnley may have been injured. However around 8:40 p.m. Sunday Duke sent a release that said officials had searched 400 acres and no longer believe Burnley is in the area.

Burnley cares for his 92-year-old grandmother and doesn't leave without letting her know when he won't be home, authorities said.

"We have legitimate concerns about his well-being because he doesn't have a history of disappearing. In fact, that's very uncommon for this individual," Duke said.

Rankin County fire coordinator Brett Ishee said the rescue effort went on Saturday until about 11 p.m., and resumed around 8 a.m. Sunday.

Ishee said the original search area was doubled when Burnley wasn't initially found.

Members of the Mid Mississippi Strike Team have been scouring the area on foot.

"We are utilizing resources including search dogs, horses, man power, and Metro One," Duke said in a statement. "We will continue the search effort until the entire area has satisfactorily been searched. We are still treating this as a search and not a recovery. There is no evidence at this time to support Burnley has been injured or harmed."

well, it sounds like the police think the husband/wife team might have something to do with this missing man.

We have talked to husband and wife,? Rankin County Undersheriff Raymond Duke said. ?I don't want to reveal their names right now. We have talked to them in-depth (and) there are some discrepancies and concern in their statements. At this point, we are treating (Burnley) as missing possibly against his will."
    http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mis...inues/39911502

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mis...g-man/40046878

$10,000 reward offered for information about missing man-K-9 search reveals no new information

A search using cadaver dogs turned up no new information about a missing Rankin County man, investigators said Tuesday.

The GTR K-9 Search team out, of Columbus, Mississippi, searched a wooded area off Bridges Road on Monday, where Joseph Skylar Burnley was last seen, Rankin County Undersheriff Raymond Duke said in a news release.

Investigators have sent cellphones connected to the case to the Mississippi FUSION Center and are awaiting results of a forensic examination, Duke said. Phone records have also been requested through a search warrant.

Burnley, 27, has been missing since June 3, when investigators said he was helping Travis Lee Brewer and Amanda June Morris search the woods for a 1988 Chevy pickup truck Brewer said was stolen from his home.

Brewer and Morris are facing unrelated misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia that were a result of a search warrant related to Burnley’s disappearance, authorities said.

Crime Stoppers is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to information about Burnley’s whereabouts.

“I am surprised (that) with the size of the reward, that we have not received any additional leads,” Duke said.

Tips to Crime Stoppers are kept anonymous. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call 601-355-TIPS.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Newest info I found updated 6/12. A third person has been arrested in the case. The cell phone that they were supposedly using to track the vehicle was never in the vehicle and found thrown in a grassy area. Sounds fishy to me:

New developments in the Skyler Burnley missing persons case

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/32196...g-persons-case

A key piece of evidence was found in the search for Skyler Burnley, who has been missing since June 3.

But the question remains: Is this a missing persons case or potential murder investigation?

Police say a third person is now under arrest. Matthew McCoy has been charged with vehicle theft.

Cadaver dogs are now being brought in to search the same wooded area where Burnley was last seen.

Rankin County Undersheriff Raymond Duke says that there was evidence of drug use in Travis Brewer's Pearl home, where Burnley stayed Thursday night.

"We are not going to rule anything out at this time," Duke said Friday, "We do know that the individuals involved were possibly involved in the drug trade."
    "I have reason to believe now the cell phone may have never been in it," said Duke. "So the story about them searching for the phone may have been a problem."

Brewer's cell phone has now been recovered.It had been thrown out in a grassy area near his home.

Police say that they do not know what they are looking for in the cell phone exactly.

"Well until we get in it we don't know," Duke said. "What I am hoping. is to find its locations and possible correspondence with someone that may have been planning Sky's demise."
    Drugs, stolen cars, drug addicts with drug paraphernalia, and a confirmed lie from one of the people suspected to know more. A definite recipe for a sad ending.

Sounds like this was a kid who meant well, being what seems to be the sole caretaker of his 90 something year old grandmother, but his preference of company that he was keeping leads me to believe he was doing drugs or involved with drugs in some way. Either way he didn't deserve this. Hope they at least get some answers, and soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

I agree, Apha. It is very sad and I hope the family do have some closure soon. I cannot imagine the not knowing and how that is impacting them.

http://www.wapt.com/article/reward-i...y-man/12022849

Joseph Skylar Burnley, 27, has been missing since June 3, 2016 when investigators said he was helping Travis Lee Brewer and Amanda June Morris search the woods for a 1988 Chevy pickup truck Brewer said was stolen from his home.

Brewer and Morris are facing unrelated misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia that were a result of a search warrant related to Burnley’s disappearance, authorities said.
    Crime Stoppers is now offering a $20,500 reward for information leading to Burnley’s whereabouts.

Tips to Crime Stoppers are kept anonymous. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call 601-355-TIPS.

https://www.wlbt.com/2019/02/07/your...g-sky-burnley/

3 On Your Side Investigates: Searching for Sky Burnley

Thread Information