Thread: Deontae Mitchell (13) was found in a vacant lot after being abducted

Deontae Mitchell (13) was found in a vacant lot after being abducted

UPDATE: Detroit Police say they have identified the suspect as Gregory Walker, 45, of Detroit. He is considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with details of his whereabouts or about the case is asked to call 313-596-5521.

A 13-year-old boy and his cousin were riding bicycles on Detroit's east side when an armed man grabbed the teenager by his arm, forced him into a car, then raced away.

Now authorities have issued an Amber Alert following Deontae Mitchell's abduction, and are asking for the public?s help in identifying the suspect.

"I want my grandson home," said Deontae's grandmother Vernice Ellington at a news conference held by Detroit Police at the 5th Precinct on Conner Street on Wednesday. She added: "I miss him and I love him."

Police believe Deontae was abducted after riding his bicycle near Nino's Market on 15901 E. Warren.

Just before the abduction, Deontae may have taken cash from a man who had been urinating outside the store and dropped money on the ground while possibly intoxicated, the cousin later told police. Deontae and his cousin then pedaled away.

But moments after that incident, that same man caught up with Deontae while driving a black Chevrolet Impala with a spoiler, police said. The man then grabbed Deontae by the arm, forced him into a rear passenger door, and drove off. Throughout the encounter the man was carrying a nickel-plated revolver, Detroit Police Chief James Craig said at a news conference.

Craig also said the suspect's motive is unclear. While there is "speculation" that the suspect may have been retaliating for lost money, "That's certainly no reason to abduct a 13-year-old, a child," Craig said. And while police added that a second person may have been in the Impala during the abduction, that detail is not yet confirmed..

At some point that night, the suspect also walked inside Nino's Market, armed with the same revolver. Craig said the suspect should be considered "armed and dangerous." He also had a message for the suspect: "Turn yourself in, without incident, because we will find you."

Police have expanded their search beyond the area surrounding Nino's Market and are interviewing potential witnesses. Anyone with details about the abduction is asked to call 313-596-5521. The suspect is believed to be between 5-foot-8 and 5-foot-10, weighing 185-190 with a muscular build and was wearing a black Florida Marlins hat.

The Amber Alert was not pushed to all cell phones in the area because police have not yet identified the suspect's license plate, said Sgt. Michael Woody, a Detroit Police spokesman.

Crystal Mitchell, Deontae's mother, hasn't heard from her son, and no demands have been made, police have said.

"Help me find my son," an overwhelmed Crystal Mitchell said at the Wednesday news conference, before deciding not to speak further.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...hell/85232800/
    Last edited by luvit; 06-02-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Deonte was found dead, and the suspect is in custody. He was arrested in Ohio.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2658257
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Medical examiner identifies body found in Detroit field is Deontae Mitchell

Detroit Police confirm the body found in a field on Detroit's east side is Deontae Mitchell, a 13-year-old boy who was abducted earlier in the week.

The body was found in the field near Harper and Baldwin around 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

The 13-year-old boy was abducted from Nino's on Warren on the city's east side around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday. Late Wednesday, police identified the suspect as 45-year-old Gregory Walker.

On Thursday, investigators executed a search warrant at a home in the 5200 block of Manistique. Investigators confirmed they found a gun in the home but it is unknown if it's the gun used in the abduction.

Walker was seen on video carrying a nickel-plated revolver and has a history of crimes and is in parole for grand theft auto.

Walker was arrested in a hotel in Toledo with a female companion. Two other suspects are still being sought.

Ernest Coleman and Roy Portis are both wanted in connection to the kidnapping and the boy's death. Their mugshots are in the slideshow above.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...51840482-story

Sorry Tup,we posted at same time

Snipped

Investigators are hoping that the medical examiner will soon be able to determine how 13-year-old Deontae Mitchell was killed.

Police sources believe he was beaten by Gregory Walker, 45, but say there is no obvious cause of death. An autopsy is set for Friday.

Thursday morning, Mitchell's body was found in tall grass near Harper and Baldwin, several hours after Walker and his girlfriend were arrested at a Days Inn Hotel in Toledo, Ohio.
    http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...-he-was-killed

Snipped
    Deontae's cousin Raheem Matthews spoke about what happened that night. He says after a man named Gregory Walker dropped money outside, Deontae picked up the cash then, tried to give Walker the money back - but he says Walker refused.

"He didn't do anything to anybody," said Raheem Matthews, Deontae's best friend.
    Deontae's cousin says he tried to help Deontae but said that Walker pointed the gun at him and took Deontae.
    His last words to his cousin were "Help me."

"This all I'm going to be looking at every day," Matthews said, holding a picture of Deontae. "It hurts."

As Deontae went missing Tuesday night many are asking now why wasn't there an Amber Alert pushed out - an alarm to everyone's cell phones?

"Not one person had their phone go off for this Amber Alert," said Takesha Ross. "Not one person."

Michigan State Police say that since they didn't have a license plate, the alert didn't meet the criteria for what they call a wireless emergency alert..

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...51992522-story

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Ugh.

Autopsy reveals Deontae Mitchell, 13, wasn't shot

The 13-year-old boy who was kidnapped before his body was found in an overgrown east-side Detroit field did not die of gunshot wounds, according to the medical examiner.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner said Friday an autopsy for Deontae Mitchell was complete and the manner of death was pending further investigation.

Police announced earlier that the fourth suspect in Deontae's abduction and death was arrested at his home Friday morning without incident.

Chief James Craig said Roy Portis, 51, was being held at the Detroit Detention Center.

Gregory Walker remained jailed awaiting extradition Friday morning in Toledo after his arrest there Thursday.

Walker, a 45-year-old Detroiter, and a "female companion" arrested with him "have to go through an extradition hearing before they are brought back to Michigan,
    Officer Jennifer Moreno said.

The woman's alleged role in the kidnapping remained unclear.

Walker is accused of snatching Deontae Mitchell around 11:15 p.m. Tuesday outside Nino's Market at 15901 E. Warren, less than five miles from where the boy's body was found two days later near Harper and Baldwin.

Another suspect, Ernest Coleman, 30, was taken into custody Thursday at his Detroit home, Moreno said. Craig referred to Coleman as the third suspect in the case Friday. No further details were available about his arrest or alleged involvement in the abduction.

The police chief was joined by Mayor Mike Duggan at a news conference Friday where they praised the community for coming forth with information that led to arrests. Duggan said more than a half-dozen community members offered "critical pieces" to assist the investigation.

"The story of Deontae being senselessly killed over such a small amount of money is one that's going to stay with us a long time," Duggan said. "When you lose a child in this community it leaves a hole in the family, it leaves a hole in the neighborhood, it leaves a hole in their school, it leaves a hole in the entire community."

Officials with the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office do not expect charges to be filed Friday, according to spokeswoman Maria Miller.

Deontae was kidnapped after riding bikes with his cousin to the market, police said. They saw Walker, who appeared to be intoxicated, drop money while urinating outside the store.

Deontae picked up the money and the pair rode away, according to the boy's cousin.

Craig described the case as one involving "a defenseless young man and an adult who is frankly three times his size."

"What's the point of a weapon?" Craig said. "What's the point of abducting a child?"

Family on Thursday stressed a different side of Deontae.

"He was the type of kid that would help an old lady cross the street, not snatch her purse," said Ernest McFadden, the father of Deontae's two older brothers. "He was that kid."

McFadden accompanied Deontae's mother, Crystal Mitchell, on Thursday afternoon to the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office, where they identified the boy's body.

A spokesman with the medical examiner confirmed the identification Thursday. An autopsy is scheduled for Friday.

Deontae was "the baby of the family" with two older brothers and an older sister, McFadden said. He was a bright kid who loved school and followed the rules.

"He believed in God. He believed in something better than everything going on in the world today," McFadden said. "He believed in people, too. I guess that's where he made his mistake."

McFadden said the family is doing "a lot of praying' since Deontae's "unbelievable" death.

"It's happening to these kids every day, though," he said of Detroit children becoming victims of violent crime. "Kids that still have their innocence and don't know the world can be so cold and broken."

Anyone with information is asked to call 911 or contact Detroit police at (313) 596-5521 or (313) 596-1616. Anonymous tipsters may contact Crime Stoppers by calling (800) SPEAK-UP.

HFournier@detroitnews.com

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...jail/85338418/

CCTV footage of abduction through above link
    Last edited by luvit; 06-03-2016 at 11:39 PM.

Detroit man held on $1M bond in Deontae’s kidnapping

omulus — A $1 million bond was set Sunday for a man charged in the kidnapping of a 13-year-old boy whose body was found last week in an overgrown east side Detroit field.

Ernest Coleman, 26, a Detroiter, was arraigned by video before Judge Michael Callahan in Romulus on charges that he kidnapped Deontae Mitchell.

After a not guilty plea was entered on Coleman's behalf, he was ordered to return to court for a pre-trial conference on June 16and for a preliminary exam on June 23, at the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice.

Coleman stands accused of "knowingly restraining" Deontae "with intent to hold for ransom or reward" on May 31 at 11:15 p.m. outside Nino's Market on the 15900 block of East Warren, Callahan said.

Deontae’s body was found dead in a field on Baldwin, off Harper Street, not far from where he'd been abducted.

So as to "ensure (Coleman's) appearance and to protect the public from further harm," Callahan said, he set Coleman's bond at $1 million cash. Kidnapping carries a possible life sentence.

deontae mitchell
    Deontae Mitchell (Photo: Detroit News)
    Last week, Detroit Police arrested three others in connection with the kidnapping and death of Deontae.

Gregory Walker remained jailed awaiting extradition Friday in Toledo after his arrest there Thursday.

Walker, a 45-year-old Detroiter, and a “female companion” arrested with him “have to go through an extradition hearing before they are brought back to Michigan,” Officer Jennifer Moreno said lat week.

The woman’s alleged role in the kidnapping remained unclear.

Deontae was kidnapped after riding bikes with his cousin to the market, police said. They saw Walker, who appeared to be intoxicated, drop money while urinating outside the store.

Deontae picked up the money and the pair rode away, according to the boy’s cousin.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner said Friday an autopsy for Deontae was complete and the manner of death was pending further investigation.

Craig described the case as one involving “a defenseless young man and an adult who is frankly three times his size.”

“What’s the point of a weapon?" Craig said. "What’s the point of abducting a child?”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ping/85448896/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

So...he basically strangled and beat this kid to death because the kid picked up his money?

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    A thirteen year old? Seriously? Think that makes you hard, fellas?

Something looks distorted in that photo, his nose looks like an S or something..or is it just me?

But seriously...the kid was thirteen. Just a fucking kid. He didn't know anything, most likely didn't even do anything wrong.

Here we go with another fucking dick and two of his testicle associates...killing a kid for no good goddamn reason whatsoever.

You want to know why parents go apeshit in court when they see their child's killer? This is why...and I wouldn't blame them one bit if they wanted to rip a motherfucker in half.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

From Oct 2016:

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...398839341.html

3 plead guilty in Deontae Mitchell murder case

Also, it says in this article his body was found in a vacant lot, so I am moving it from the missing persons' section.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I hope these pieces of shit get a long ass fucking time behind bars. Killing a kid over $70? Seriously? Guess your mamas didn't raise you sorry motherfuckers right.

Ya'll deserve an assbeating of biblical proportions. I'm sure you'll get it in jail, too. Fuck you three.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    I hope these pieces of shit get a long ass fucking time behind bars. Killing a kid over $70? Seriously? Guess your mamas didn't raise you sorry motherfuckers right.

Ya'll deserve an assbeating of biblical proportions. I'm sure you'll get it in jail, too. Fuck you three.
    THIS. Wtf. $70?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information