Thread: Kayln Rolan (29) dies from fire ants 1 day after mom Roberta Duke (53) died of lung disease

Kayln Rolan (29) dies from fire ants 1 day after mom Roberta Duke (53) died of lung disease

http://nbc4i.com/2016/05/27/woman-di...r-mother-died/

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WFLA/AP) ? Authorities and relatives say an Alabama woman standing atop a hay bale was attacked by fire ants and died the day after her mother died.

A joint funeral was held Thursday in Selma for the women, 29-year-old Kalyn Rolan and 53-year-old Roberta Lynn Duke, both of Prattville.

Rolan?s mother-in-law, Sheila Rolan, says Duke had died of lung disease and the younger woman was in rural Dallas County making funeral arrangements on May 20 when fire ants in the hay bale attacked her.

?The ants started coming out and getting all over her and she came off the haystack and my son said he grabbed her and put her on the ground, took her clothes off trying to help her to save her but he couldn?t save her,? Rolan said.

?She?d be in a really bad mood, but she?d always laugh at me and tell me ?you crazy girl?; we just had a good time all the time,? Regina Tatum, Kalyn?s best friend told WSFA.

District Attorney Michael Jackson says his office ordered an autopsy, but it appears Kalyn Rolan died of an extreme allergic reaction.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says 90 to 100 people die annually in the United States from insect bites.

A GoFundMe account to help offset funeral costs has been setup by the family.

------

GoFundMe account - https://www.gofundme.com/25h4kkyk

Kalyn's FB - https://www.facebook.com/kalyn.rolan?fref=ts

Oh good, I misspelled her name in the title and can't edit it...RIP *Kalyn*.

From the GoFundMe link:

Chalfant Gonzalez 2 hours ago Sorry for your loss, but might I ask why she didn't carry an epi pen with her if she was so allergic to the fire ants? Those things are everywhere down there. Prayers for her husband and two small children. God bless them all.
    Well...that's something that we may post here on MDS, but on the GFM? Seriously? I'm pretty sure she was unaware of her allergy.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Yep, I'd guess she didn't know. My nephew's uncle (BIL's half brother) died from an allergic reaction to a bee sting and had never had an issue before. He was mowing the yard and got stung, took a Benadryl and drank some beer, took a nap and never woke up. My husband is a bee keeper and has never had issues but does have an epi-pen just in case.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    What a horrible way to go. Fire ants are very aggressive.

RIP Kalyn and Roberta.

Ugh. Death by fire ants is one of my worst nightmares. Evil little bastards. I got bit/stung (they do both) on the toe by one yesterday while weeding my garden. Even one sting will blister/itch/burn so bad that I want to tear off whatever part of my body was stung.

I think I've shared before the first time I was attacked by fire ants when I was a little girl. I was on a class trip to Savannah. We didn't have them here in North Ga. yet, so I was unaware of the danger. I will never forget it.

Angie, I'm sure you're right that she was unaware of the allergy. Every fire ant death story I've ever read is someone who didn't know they were allergic. They're so brutal, I reckon anyone could react to a lot of stings.

RIP Kalyn. Burn in hell, fire ants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    District Attorney Michael Jackson
    "Kayln are you okay, Kayln are you okay? Are you okay, Kayln"?

Yes. I'm going to hell. I already knew that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Fire ants are some nasty little spawns of satan.
    IMO- those stupid little hornets ARE satan.

My husband has been stung by wasps/hornets before. A few years ago, he was stung and had a terrible reaction (even tho he never has before). It's called Hymenoptera Venom Allergy.
    Insect sting allergy can develop at any age and usually manifests after several uneventful stings. The incidence of systemic reactions to Hymenoptera venom is approximately 3% in adults. Although children are stung more often than adults, systemic reactions occur in only about 1% of children younger than 17 years, and many of these reactions are relatively mild. Large local reactions to Hymenoptera stings are more common in children, with an estimated incidence of 20% and 10%, respectively, for children and adults. The prevalence of insect sting allergy is twice as high in male as in female patients and may be a result of increased exposure rather than inherent susceptibility. There is no clear association with other allergies, and only 30% of patients with venom allergy are atopic. In addition, insect sting allergy is statistically not more likely to occur in persons with a family history of sting reactions.

At least 50 deaths per year occur in the United States from insect sting reactions, and many other sting fatalities may be unrecognized. Approximately one half of deaths occur in victims with no history of a prior sting reaction. Most fatalities (80%) occur in adults older than 40 years, and only 2% occur in persons younger than 20 years.
    http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...venom-allergy/

My stepdad was a farmer. We were always warned growing up to be careful around haybales. We were never allowed to play on them. All kinds of animals will make their home up in them.

From the same link. Sounds like the lady got into some imported ants.
    Fire ants are the medically important members of the Formicidae family, and several species of both native and imported fire ants exist in the United States. Both can cause severe allergic reactions, but imported fire ants are much more aggressive and prolific and inflict the most stings. Imported fire ants were introduced in 1940 through the port of Mobile, Alabama, by cargo ships from South America. They have spread through the surrounding states and Gulf coast. Imported fire ants build large nests (mounds) in the soil, and when their nests are disturbed, the ants attack in mass and sting their victims repeatedly. A characteristic sterile pustule typically forms at the site of each sting after 24 hour

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post

My stepdad was a farmer. We were always warned growing up to be careful around haybales. We were never allowed to play on them. All kinds of animals will make their home up in them.
    I've found tarantulas, mice, snakes, and regular ants in ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    I've found tarantulas, mice, snakes, and regular ants in ours.
    Yep. My stepdad would always find rattlesnakes in ours. And fire ants. They love the hay.
    I always cringe when I see somebody post their wedding/family photos online and they are sitting on hay bales out in the country.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    How horrible. And this is another reason why I don't "country". I'm happy here in the 'burbs, thanks.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

I live in the burbs, and we have shitloads of fire ants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Fuck this. Poor thing.

Fucking horrible way to go. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    From the GoFundMe link:

Well...that's something that we may post here on MDS, but on the GFM? Seriously? I'm pretty sure she was unaware of her allergy.
    Right? I always assumed that if you weren't allergic to regular ant bites, you wouldn't react to fire ants. Don't think I've ever been stung, actually.

I'm so sorry for her family. That's just too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    How horrible. And this is another reason why I don't "country". I'm happy here in the 'burbs, thanks.
    Haha it's a solid reason.

WTF, why do people need to prep for this shit? Unless you're surrounded by supervillains there's no need to prepare for quicksand and fire ants.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Fuuuuuuuck this. I hate bugs.

I live in a small town right now and I can't wait to move back to a city.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Thread Information