Thread: Daniel Freudenberg (21) died due to equipment failure while SCUBA diving

Daniel Freudenberg (21) died due to equipment failure while SCUBA diving

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/04/24/Daniel_Freudenberg_(21)_died_due_to_equipment_fail ure_while_SCUBA_diving_at_a_depth_of_107_feet

This is so awful.
    On his myspace:
    How do you want to Die: scuba diving or have sex or scuba diving wile having sex

and a comment not too long before:
    Mar 24 2007 5:55P

Hey whatz up brother? I'm glad everything is going for ya. Speaking of that, I was just about to message you and say hey. Didn't know if you were still alive or not, haha! I've been too busy, but you know how that goes.

Re: Daniel Freudenberg (21) died due to equipment failure while SCUBA diving

Uhhh...anyone else think this blog by his girlfriend is a little odd??

Sunday, April 22, 2007

RIP
    Current mood:  blank

I love you Dan and can't believe you died on 4-21-07 @ 11:03am. He was diving with a couple buddies and had problems and got into panic, then died. I will miss you and can't believe it happened.
    Why include the exact minute?  I know they were only together for three months, but I never would expect a message like that.

If my boyfriend ever died in a car accident, I don't think I'd write "Oh my god, I can't believe that bus rammed into you at 4:23 p.m. on April 14, 2007 and you died."

It seems to be more for telling that it actually happened than any kind of tribute.  But whatev, who am I to judge?

That is a little odd. Like when a baby is born, giving the hour and minute! I'm sure she is going through a really rough time, and hopefully hasn't had a lot of experience in this area. Or maybe there is a significance to that time/number.

She says he got into panic. The article says the air tanks/tubing formed ice on them. They were buddy breathing between three when Daniel floated out of sight.

It's kinda nice that he did get to die doing what he loved, in a weird sorta way. Not the way I would want to go, but he apparently really enjoyed it enough to write that on his ms.

Now this may be a TOTAL stretch, but I wonder if they ever considered that maybe it was a suicide? 

I looked on his friends' pages, but didn't see many comments from before he died.

It's just that

A.)  He states how he wants to die scuba-diving

B.)  Then his girlfriend leaves this message:

Apr 23 2007 5:41A

RIP babe, I miss you and love you but know you are happy because you went the way you wanted. Wish it didnt have to happen. Hope you are happy now. Love always Ashley

They did have a recent tiff too...

From her on his comments.

'Mar 31 2007 7:08A

I'm sorry for pissing you off, but I did call to appologize. I don't know what else to do. Either way I was pissing off somebody and I didn't think you would get as mad. You are going to be around all week, where as she is leaving. I am sorry but now I am upset and mad and you are mad, and she still isn't satisfied.'

[quote author=death roe link=topic=6767.msg312474#msg312474 date=1177417712]
    They did have a recent tiff too...

From her on his comments.

'Mar 31 2007 7:08A

I'm sorry for pissing you off, but I did call to appologize. I don't know what else to do. Either way I was pissing off somebody and I didn't think you would get as mad. You are going to be around all week, where as she is leaving. I am sorry but now I am upset and mad and you are mad, and she still isn't satisfied.'
    [/quote]

I saw that...

Maybe he was just like, "Oh fuck it" and decided to end it?  Or an "I'll show you" thing.

Here's the paragraph in his facebook memorial group:

On April 21st, 2007, Danny Fruedenburg died during a scuba accident in Lake Eerie along with Sherry Eads of Brookville. Thier equipment expierenced air regulator icing, when ice forms in scuba equipment and impedes air flow. Lets remeber his quircky antics in good light and make our respects known.

So was it the ice or did he disappear?

And this...

'Feb 22 2007 4:59P

Sending you some neeed LOVE, I hope you can fix the truck soon and get happy b/c this stress is upsetting you. Love ya '

It appears he was sick just prior to this as well, I wonder if it was sick, sick like a cold or maybe he was so stressed out he was seeking medical care for that. Hmmm, Jesserz you may be on to something. Or if he had been sick, that may contribute to why he panicked when he was unable to get adequate oxygen.

It just seems a little fishy to me that there are only four comments after his death, and two of them include the phrases "I hope you're happy now" and "We are assured in the fact that you are in a better place now."

Both typically comments you see on a suicide page.  Hmm...

Here's a blog from her on March 31st:
    I love them both
    Current mood:  confused

This sucks, no matter what I do today I am upsetting someone. First my mom is leaving tomorrow for New York and wanted to spend today together before she leave. Then Dan was rained out of scuba diving and wanted to spend the day together. I was going to hang out with Dan, then my mom was mad, so I cancelled with Dan, thinking he would understand. Boy was I wrong, that went bad fast. Why is it no matter what I ever do is never good enough? It seems to follow me around because in everything I do in life I am always upsetting somebody. I need to learn to keep people away from me so I can't hurt them. Maybe thats why I don't let people get to close to me, since I always fuck things up. It has happened to me for years with almost everyone @ least once.

And another from April 4:

Whatever
    Current mood:  blank

What is wrong with me? Why is it no matter what I do I am not truely happy? I want to be happy but it never seems to fail because something always makes me upset. I don't know what I can do.

I sooooo want another tattoo, but since I don't know what I want or where to put it there is no reason to go. Plus, I have noone who wants to go with me when I get it. Well, people will go but they won't get one tooooo so it defeats the perpose.

I miss my friends so much and we never get to see one another and none seems to care. I want to be with them, well a couple in particular, I miss them and we always have together. I miss some of the things I used to do.  I want some of my old life back, for when all I did was party and stay out.

I love all my friends and family to death. But I need to find myself, maybe I will just go on vacation, by myself in July, and find whatever I need to find in my life.
    No mention of Dan in the second one, and I wonder if he took that one like she didn't want to be with him anymore...

I just don't get why she would leave "I hope you're happy now" on his profile.  Don't get it at all. :?

i don't think i can view this one as a suicide since another dive mate suffered the same fate with the equipment malfunction.  i think his "girlfriend" is an insensitive twit.  i'm thinking the references to being happy is that he died doing what he loved the most.  his own words came back to haunt him.  rip daniel

It is really strange. And the area they were at is where they train people, it is used frequently by scuba divers. So I would think they would be prepared for the ice that formed on their equipment. I know nothing about scuba diving though, so maybe I'm way off base.

Maybe you're right and he just decided to fuck it at the the end. What a hell of a way to go though. I got the impression that the ice made it so they weren't getting enough air, and they were buddy breathing off the 3rd guys tanks. But it actually says he set up Daniel with his backup system and was helping Eads surface when Daniel went out of sight. So that is even weirder that he had air supply but didn't continue to the surface with the others.

Sad, nonetheless
    RIP Daniel

[quote author=MAVEN link=topic=6767.msg312514#msg312514 date=1177419745]
    i think his "girlfriend" is an insensitive twit.
    [/quote]
    And extremely self absorbed by the sounds of her blogs. 

'Omg my life sucks...no one loves me...blah blah blah....pay attention to meeeeeeeeeeee'

Back on topic...the thing sounds like a freak accident to me.  Maybe he was just having some life issues before all this and his friends hope he is a better place.  Doesn't mean he killed himself.

RIP Dan.

[quote author=death roe link=topic=6767.msg312253#msg312253 date=1177402708]
    http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/04/24/Daniel_Freudenberg_(21)_died_due_to_equipment_fail ure_while_SCUBA_diving_at_a_depth_of_107_feet

This is so awful.
    On his myspace:
    How do you want to Die: scuba diving or have sex or scuba diving wile having sex

and a comment not too long before:
    Mar 24 2007 5:55P

Hey whatz up brother? I'm glad everything is going for ya. Speaking of that, I was just about to message you and say hey. Didn't know if you were still alive or not, haha! I've been too busy, but you know how that goes.
    [/quote]

I bet the person who wrote that wished it could be click, click, deleted!

[quote author=missberi link=topic=6767.msg312756#msg312756 date=1177426241]
    I bet the person who wrote that wished it could be click, click, deleted!
    [/quote]

Boy, that's one of the first things I would have done after hearing that he really did die. He should be able to delete it though, right?

[quote author=decorusnex link=topic=6767.msg312684#msg312684 date=1177424869]
    And extremely self absorbed by the sounds of her blogs. 

'Omg my life sucks...no one loves me...blah blah blah....pay attention to meeeeeeeeeeee'

Back on topic...the thing sounds like a freak accident to me.  Maybe he was just having some life issues before all this and his friends hope he is a better place.  Doesn't mean he killed himself.

RIP Dan.
    [/quote]

I'm thinking it is more likely that he was having health problems in conjunction with the faulty equipment rather than it being suicide or just giving up. I'm leaning towards that conclusion due to the fact that he had just been ill. If he had any upper respiratory problem it could have had a huge impact on his ability to manage with the problems they encountered with the O2 tanks. Between a lowered level of oxygen available and the possibility of his bronchus being inflamed/congested, those factors would increase the panic level I would think.

This sucks, no matter what I do today I am upsetting someone. First my mom is leaving tomorrow for New York and wanted to spend today together before she leave. Then Dan was rained out of scuba diving and wanted to spend the day together. I was going to hang out with Dan, then my mom was mad, so I cancelled with Dan, thinking he would understand. Boy was I wrong, that went bad fast. Why is it no matter what I ever do is never good enough? It seems to follow me around because in everything I do in life I am always upsetting somebody. I need to learn to keep people away from me so I can't hurt them. Maybe thats why I don't let people get to close to me, since I always fuck things up. It has happened to me for years with almost everyone @ least once.
    If this dude was the type to get so mad about his gf spending the day with her mom who was going away...who the hell knows. Oh, the drama.

RIP Daniel. I hope it was a mistake.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

Yeah I would definitely claim it's hard to say, because if he did get upset at his girlfriend just for spending the day with her mother then he really might have some serious anger issues. Maybe his anger caused him to swim away from the other divers as they were surfacing? Who the hell knows...but her insensitive comments as if it is "oh well I guess you're happy and I can move on." Bitch...that's all I have to say.
    Is what I've done too much to take, or are you just afraid of being nothing?

whoa shit, this is crazy.  A guy from my school, the university of alabama, died during a scuba diving class in our pool at the rec center last week.  I don't know most of the details, i think the police are still investigating.  Damn.

I actually knew Danny and was surprised to see all this on this page, for one thing he wasn't in a fight with his girlfriend and in fact he was in love with her very much. Dan loved life and he would never think about the word suicide and his death was nothing of the sort. Many first reports of his death were rumors and much of the information about his death was unknown until after the autopsy. If anyone is at fault for the deaths it is the people that run the quarry where they were diving, all three of the divers had wet suits which are not suitable for water under 50 degrees and the water they were in was 38 degrees at the surface, combined with the fact that this was dans 2nd or so time going cold water scuba diving and a loss of oxygen causes a person to not think straight and start to panic. I'm not going to go on much more but Dan's death was a total and complete accident that could only be prevented if he never entered the water that day. As for the comment you all keep talking about, i know the guy that wrote that and im pretty sure he doesn't even remeber writing that comment so he wouldnt know to delete it. Dan will be forever missed by his friends and family

R.I.P danny

[quote author=joe882003 link=topic=6767.msg319792#msg319792 date=1177619826]
    I actually knew Danny and was surprised to see all this on this page, for one thing he wasn't in a fight with his girlfriend and in fact he was in love with her very much. Dan loved life and he would never think about the word suicide and his death was nothing of the sort. Many first reports of his death were rumors and much of the information about his death was unknown until after the autopsy. If anyone is at fault for the deaths it is the people that run the quarry where they were diving, all three of the divers had wet suits which are not suitable for water under 50 degrees and the water they were in was 38 degrees at the surface, combined with the fact that this was dans 2nd or so time going cold water scuba diving and a loss of oxygen causes a person to not think straight and start to panic. I'm not going to go on much more but Dan's death was a total and complete accident that could only be prevented if he never entered the water that day. As for the comment you all keep talking about, i know the guy that wrote that and im pretty sure he doesn't even remeber writing that comment so he wouldnt know to delete it. Dan will be forever missed by his friends and family

R.I.P danny
    [/quote]

I'm really sorry for your loss.  Thank you for clearing that up. :-)

[quote author=joe882003 link=topic=6767.msg319792#msg319792 date=1177619826]

R.I.P danny
    [/quote]

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. What a tragic death, at least he was doing something he really enjoyed. Thank you for providing accurate details, hard as it is I'm sure, we do appreciate it. I'm wondering if his prior illness had compounded the effects of the loss of oxygen, causing a worse panic. I hope the people who run the diving quarry take care of the problems that contributed to this tragic death.

RIP Danny

Thread Information