Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Nicole Mittendorff (31) committed suicide by hanging after she was bullied online and at work

*Nicole. Geez, I misspelled/made a typo of my own name

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I really hope he wasn't one of the people making bad comments about Nice in the past. He was cheated on by her, supposedly. He may have made a comment or two out of anger.

I'm sure if he did, he probably regrets it. Have to say, I am only GUESSING he MAY have.
    He definitely didn't.

FWIW, FU is not a firefighter board, it's a community forum, and there are A LOT of dedicated trolls who commit to really just trying to prove they don't have an ounce of humanity in them. The firefighter thread is child's play compared to what they've said on some of the missing girl/suicide threads. The owner doesn't require anyone to actually sign up/sign in and you can say anything you want to say, with no fear of repercussions usually. It's pretty sickening. The troopers have been talking about case law started in Fairfax last year by one of the ADAs when she went up against this board/forum for similar garbage within the last couple of years, and are hoping that case law will help here, should her family go that route.
    Last edited by Ash_Lee; 04-25-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Lee View Post
    FWIW, FU is not a firefighter board, it's a community forum, and there are A LOT of dedicated trolls who commit to really just trying to prove they don't have an ounce of humanity in them. The firefighter thread is child's play compared to what they've said on some of the missing girl/suicide threads. The owner doesn't require anyone to actually sign up/sign in and you can say anything you want to say, with no fear of repercussions usually. It's pretty sickening. The troopers have been talking about case law started in Fairfax last year by one of the ADAs when she went up against this board/forum for similar garbage within the last couple of years, and are hoping that case law will help in this case, should her family go that route.
    I posted earlier that this was a concern of mine. Do you think the people posting on the board are even FF that worked with Nicole?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I posted earlier that this was a concern of mine. Do you think the people posting on the board are even FF that worked with Nicole?
    Some knew some pretty specific things about the different departments so I'm going to say yes.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

At least one did. It could have been one person under all those names posting but yes definitely someone who knew exactly what was going on.

The body found Thursday afternoon at Shenandoah National Park has been confirmed to be the body of missing Fairfax County firefighter Nicole Mittendorff, the medical examiner's office said.

Mittendorff's body was found after six days of searching the area near the park where her car was found. Her body was found about a mile from the Whiteoak Canyon parking lot.

According to police, a suicide note was found in Mittendorff's car. Investigators do not suspect any foul play in her death.

Investigators are still piecing together a timeline to determine when Mittendorff arrived at the park and when she died.

In the wake of her death, some people are expressing outrage over sexist online comments about Mittendorff and other Fairfax County female firefighters.

"It was pretty raunchy. It was raunchy. It was offensive. It was disrespectful. It was ridiculing," said retired federal government worker and Fairfax County resident Jane McKinley. She saw the postings on the community forum Fairfax Underground while searching for more information about Mittendorff.

The postings appear to be from fellow firefighters, though they are anonymous.

"I was alarmed and wanted to let the public know that there was this blog out there that was defaming these female firefighters and medics, not only Nicole but others as well,"

Fire department officials tell WUSA9 that they are aware of the lurid and sexist postings on the forum and are looking into them. But McKinley says an investigation is needed to determine if the people posting the sexist comments are county employees. If they are, she said disciplinary action should be taken.

"There was a poster that kept insisting on revealing photos of Nicole. He kept asking over time," and another poster said he did have photos. McKinley said the level of detail about fire stations, lockers, contents of women's lockers and dates of fundraisers makes is seem like the posters are firefighters.

She found it very disturbing and worries that it could be part of a hostile workplace environment.

"If these really are firefighters, it sounded like this is an environment that has been created in the workplace that is completely unacceptable. These are public servants?" McKinley said.

The postings began several years ago, not long after Mittendorf began her career with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue department and Fairview Station 32. It's not known if Mittendorff saw the postings, but McKinley thinks it's likely. She's concerned the cyber-bulling may have played a role in her death.

"If you already have other factors going on, you're in a very stressful job. If you are feeling maligned and disrespected by the people you're with, and your life depends on, I can imagine it can undermine your self-esteem," said McKinley. "You can't be immune to day in and day out being disrespected." She said that the federal government requires constant training about sexual harassment and hostile workplace environments and suggested Fairfax could use more training.

Fairfax County officials declined to be interviewed on the subject Friday. On Saturday, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue asked the public to respect the family's privacy at this time. County spokesperson Tony Castrilli sent this statement:

“During this difficult time we are respecting the privacy of Nicole Mittendorff’s family, and providing support to the men and women of the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department who are grieving under these challenging circumstances. If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, or is looking for support, call PRS CrisisLink, 24/7, at 703-527-4077 or text CONNECT to 855-11.”

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/virg...orff/149881285

I find all of the chief's empty promises really disgusting right now, and a piss poor attempt at CYA. If you look at some other posts dating back as far as 2014, the firehouses banned the site on both the work and guest wifis, and people were printing out and bringing the threads into work to share all the new updates. They knew and couldn't even be bothered to knock some sense into the assholes' heads who felt the need to take the locker room talk to the public forums.
    Hotsauce McGilacuty - You can't kill ghosts. They're already dead.

All this shit about women in the military, on ships and submarines, women in locker rooms used to be a big deal. It's too distracting for the men. Now they blame it on not being able to pass physical standards all to escape the rresponsibility of simply being pigs. If these men could simply be adults and participate in adult activities with some dignity, this shit would be a non issue. Fucking teach your boys to be human beings, for Christs sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    All this shit about women in the military, on ships and submarines, women in locker rooms used to be a big deal. It's too distracting for the men. Now they blame it on not being able to pass physical standards all to escape the rresponsibility of simply being pigs. If these men could simply be adults and participate in adult activities with some dignity, this shit would be a non issue. Fucking teach your boys to be human beings, for Christs sake.
    DING!
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I think what is most disturbing about these male firefighters posting indecent and rude comments about Nicole and other female firefighters, is they are all supposed to have each others backs. How can you trust your fellow firefighter if he has no problem calling you a whore and trash? It's pretty scary.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Especially annoying is when they get called out on being bullies and gross, sexist behavior, they turn it around like they are a bunch of moral orals. All outraged about someone breaking marriage vows. Worry about your own sins, assholes!

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    Worry about your own sins, assholes!
    If women have sex outside of a committed relationship, they are disgusting, vile, soiled, nasty sluts. Basically, keep your chastity belts on ladies, and only give the key to your husband after your dad has given him 2 goats and a sack of potatoes to take you off his hands. Even then, be prepared, because if you enjoy yourself too much with your husband, you are still a slut. If you don't enjoy yourself enough you are a prude. Don't wear that trashy clothing out in public where people can see you, because you look like a whore and will be treated like one because of it, but relax, why are you so uptight? You have to show a little bit of skin, why is your shirt buttoned up to your neck? Frigid bitch, loosen up!!

and hey, if a guy has sex outside of a committed relationship, if was that fucking dirty slut of a woman he screwed around with who is to blame for tempting him, as well as the prude of a wife/girlfriend who never wants sex often enough, or won't let him stick it in her bumhole, or whatever fucking excuse he can come up with it for why he can't control where his dick winds up. and hey, he's such a manly macho man that he will FUCK YOU UP!!! if you dare to speak to, or treat, his mother or sister the exact same way he treats women!

More info on Investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Lee View Post
    At least one did. It could have been one person under all those names posting but yes definitely someone who knew exactly what was going on.
    Coming from the Fire Service, I agree. The language is specific to FF, just as Cops as have a different language but can have a 'conversation' with FF/EMS, if that makes sense.

Also note, FCFD had a Hostile Work Environment suit against them, well, 2, that they lost back to back from women in 2011, so they had prior knowledge of a problem.

The Admin of the FU site said a few days ago he has retained all IP addresses and has them available for the investigation.

The Chief of Fairfax Fire has said his investigation of the cyberbullying of all types against women, races, volunteer vs paid, etc won't start until AFTER VA State Troopers have completed thier investigation into her death.

Hughes, who is in Baltimore County, and is President of a group who oversees something (can't remember what it is called Now) about women in the Fire Service Nationally will be watching over the investigation.

The Asst Chief of Fairfax Fire said yesterday that while they don't know whether "HWE laws were broken, VA has cyberbullying laws in place and those will be sought"

The Natl IAFF Union President has called on the Union President responsible for that area to "do something immediately" and 'it is your job to make sure ALL Brothers and Sisters are treated with respect at all times'

The chief wants the posts removed off the blog about Nicole. The sites admin. said NO (unless maybe the family requests it)

Cary Wiedemann, the site’s administrator, does not plan to shut it down and said he has not previously been asked to remove the comments. He doesn’t plan to remove the comments unless, perhaps, Mittendorff’s family requests it.

“It wouldn’t do anyone any good at this point to censor the past,” Wiedemann said.
    Wiedemann accused Bowers of trying to blame the site when he should be concerned about his own firefighters and the culture of the department.
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...377635441.html

A group of Fairfax County firefighters are banding together to improve morale and the department's reputation. This comes in the wake of the alleged workplace cyber bullying of firefighter Nicole Mittendorff, who took her life last month.

Around a dozen men and women gathered at the Annandale Volunteer Fire Department Wednesday morning to talk about their experiences working in the department. This event was organized by several female employees. On her experience with the department, Alisha Reakoff said, "I love my job and I love this family. As a woman I am not afraid to come to work and I am not ashamed to be a member of this fire department. We put our trust in each other's hands and we will continue to do so."

A second firefighter, Alyssa Vance, described how the department and the county has stood behind her as a female firefighter with a family "I have always found the department very supportive. It has been a difficult time looking at what may have happened...a lot of speculation. But I also feel like an event like this has brought us together. "

Wednesday morning's press conference comes as the Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors is calling for a top to bottom, third party review of the workplace environment in the Fairfax County Fire Department.

http://wjla.com/news/local/fairfax-w...le-mittendorff

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department announced a ?full and complete? investigation into posts on local web forum ?Fairfax Underground? about the suicide of firefighter-paramedic Nicole MIttendorff.

During a press conference Friday afternoon, Fire Chief Richie Bowers urged the site?s owner to take down the posts.

?This social media stuff, and the blog stuff that?s anonymous, is ridiculous. And that?s why I?m appealing to the person who hosts this site to take down the lewd comments and certainly consider shutting the site down,? Bowers said.

The owner of Fairfax Underground, Cary Wiedemann, said he would not take down the posts unless he faced a court order or a direct request from the Mittendorff family.

MORE: Nicole Mittendorff may have been victim of cyberbullying

?Nobody has ever filed an abuse report about those comments,? Wiedemann said, explaining that personal attacks are not allowed on the forum and registered users must make a request to take something down, he said.

Wiedemann said he found Chief Bowers? request ?a deflection of blame.? and that he would not take down the site either. There are similar posts on Facebook pages and ?he?s not calling for Facebook to be shutdown,? said Wiedemann.

Six days after she went missing, Mittendorff's body was found at the Shenandoah National Park.

According to police, a suicide note was found in Mittendorff's car and investigators do not suspect any foul play in her death. Virginia State Police have concluded their investigation after the State Medical Examining ruled her cause of death to be suicide by hanging.

State Police won?t reveal what was in the note, but their investigation found no evidence of bullying or harassment of MIttendorff.

Chief Richie Bowers said he has a ?zero tolerance? policy against bullying and harassment of any kind. He pledged to leave no stone unturned in trying to find out who made the posts.

If it?s determined a county employee or volunteer is responsible, Bowers said he would hold them accountable, which could include termination from their job.

Chief Bowers said the Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department will establish a task force with female firefighters and other employee groups to address any issues related to discrimination, harassment and bullying in the workforce. He said there are 165 women firefighters, including recruits, among an entire force of about 1,400.

In the wake of her death, people expressed outrage over sexist online comments about Mittendorff and other Fairfax County female firefighters. The postings on Fairfax Underground, appeared to be from fellow firefighters, though they are anonymous.

The postings began several years ago, not long after Mittendorf began her career with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue department and Fairview Station 32. It's not known if Mittendorff saw the postings, but retired federal government worker and Fairfax County resident Jane McKinley thinks it's likely. She's concerned the cyber-bulling may have played a role in her death.

"I was alarmed and wanted to let the public know that there was this blog out there that was defaming these female firefighters and medics, not only Nicole but others as well," McKinley said Monday.

The department also announced that they will be creating a task force to address any issues related to ?discrimination, harassment, and bullying in the workplace.? The task force will include female firefighters, the IAFF Local 2068 and other employee groups.

http://www.13newsnow.com/news/local/...orff/160650052

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    A group of Fairfax County firefighters are banding together to improve morale and the department's reputation. This comes in the wake of the alleged workplace cyber bullying of firefighter Nicole Mittendorff, who took her life last month.

Around a dozen men and women gathered at the Annandale Volunteer Fire Department Wednesday morning to talk about their experiences working in the department. This event was organized by several female employees. On her experience with the department, Alisha Reakoff said, "I love my job and I love this family. As a woman I am not afraid to come to work and I am not ashamed to be a member of this fire department. We put our trust in each other's hands and we will continue to do so."

A second firefighter, Alyssa Vance, described how the department and the county has stood behind her as a female firefighter with a family "I have always found the department very supportive. It has been a difficult time looking at what may have happened...a lot of speculation. But I also feel like an event like this has brought us together. "

Wednesday morning's press conference comes as the Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors is calling for a top to bottom, third party review of the workplace environment in the Fairfax County Fire Department.

http://wjla.com/news/local/fairfax-w...le-mittendorff
    Shitty damage control.

Do they expect women to openly come out and talk about the harassment they receive at the depts? Especially considering all the dirt being thrown at these women on that board.....uh, ok.
    I'm no fighter of justice...especially in public, so if the news media was asking me "how are them good old boys treating you at the dept?" my response would be "like family"

They're opening these workshops to discuss the problem, but it's open to the media (regarding the article Daisylane posted. It even lists the women's names in the article and what they said). That's makes a lot of sense.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    In a surprisingly large number of fire departments, it’s okay to harass and physically assault women and minorities — even rape women — in our fire stations, Metcalf wrote in a 2014 open letter to the organization's membership that he said he could have written today because so little has changed.
    It really makes you wonder how many fire departments throughout the nation have issues like this.

FAIRFAX, Va. (WUSA9) -- A Fairfax County Fire captain has been disciplined after a sexual harassment lawsuit against the department.

http://www.wusa9.com/mb/news/local/f...uiry/205008190

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016/...-online-posts/
    WASHINGTON ? The man in charge of investigating accusations of misconduct in the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department is now under investigation himself.

The Fairfax Underground forum is awful. There's another girl they talk about and show pics of. It's disgusting.

First I've heard of the case. That forum is absolutely disgusting. Like a bunch of HS boys.

I'm sorry, Nicole, that you worked with a bunch of twatwaffles.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information