Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: That's Racist!!!

Re: That's Racist!!!

Shiki and white bitches ...cool down.  I know race is a touchy subject, but you have to remember that a lot of us AREN'T black, so try to explain gently.
    Combative discussion doesn't help promote interracial understanding.

[quote author=red01angel link=topic=6749.msg311186#msg311186 date=1177368257]
    Shiki and white bitches ...cool down.  I know race is a touchy subject, but you have to remember that a lot of us AREN'T black, so try to explain gently.
    Combative discussion doesn't help promote interracial understanding.
    [/quote]

You mean I am not black???     

[quote author=shiki link=topic=6749.msg311181#msg311181 date=1177368031]
    apparantly education passed you by. i mean grades 1-12 sorry if you couldn't figure that out on your own. I don't think that all white kids are priveledged please quote the post where i said that.  maybe you should educate yourself a little more before trying to school someone.
    [/quote]

I just edited my post. It's called reading.

I'm cool, honestly. I am just asking about Shiki's views on our public education system not giving minorities a fair shake. She obviously feels strongly about it and really wants to share. I am interested.

To be fair Shiki. I also thought you were talking about the higher education system. But that is not the case we see now.

I grew up in an area, where I don't know what their plan was....

But, somehow, I ended up feeling guilty for being white.

I'm over that.

I have no sympathy for anyone.

I don't care who other people are, just do something productive with your life.

On side note, I have seen affirmative action work poorly.  I was at work and the HR lady told an applicant (a white woman, mind you) "We can't hire you because EOE says we have too many of your types.  We'll call you back if we have any openings that you can fill based on your race."

People who work in convenience stores are typically kinda bored and need something to do.  When I worked retail, I'd watch everyone, just to try to catch someone stealing.  If a cop follows someone, yes, it's because his job is boring and he feels like stirring up shit.  This doesn't just happen because of your skin color, it's happened to this woman, too.  It's happened to men of every color too.  I'm sure it's happened to a tranny and gays and lesbians.  It's a power trip thing, "I can intimidate or make you feel uncomfortable because I can."

There is a phrase that I heard forever ago that has stuck with me to this day.

Stupid people do stupid things.  

Just keep that in the back of your head when people are watching too closely, screw with their heads, really it's fun.  :2smiley:
    Who shit in your wheaties?

[quote author=tmars78 link=topic=6749.msg311188#msg311188 date=1177368341]
    You mean I am not black???     
    [/quote]

White boy.
    :kiss3:

I hope I am not going to say something offensive here, because I don't mean it to be... talking about this stuff scares me a little just because I am always afraid I'm going to say something stupid.

I just finished up a degree in management and since it was one of those accelerated degrees, we were all "non-traditional" students. This being West Michigan, we were also all mostly white. There were two black women in the class. We studied affirmative action and some other things relating to race and I have to say, everytime something like that came up you could cut the tension in the room with a knife. No one wanted to say anything because no one wanted to offend anyone. It was awful and I thought we missed out on some really good conversations because of it. At the end of the program we had this class about values and it all came back again, this tension. We had to do these speeches, I forget what the point of them was, but everyone got up and talked in these nice tones about how we are really all the same and blah blah blah. Well, I call BULLSHIT. I told them that yeah, we are human beings and we all experience the same emotions, however, we are also DIFFERENT and I think we do a great disservice to ourselves not to acknowledge that. Our races, to a certain degree, involve different cultures, even in this country where, for some reason, we all aspire to be the same. Remember the "melting pot" from the 70's? There are cultural differences between different races and I feel like that is where we lose out, trying to make everyone the same. Why can't we celebrate everyone's differences? Around here tons of people are Dutch. They are white and I am white but I can tell you that it's a totally different version of being white than I ever experienced growing up!

I love the culture of Black America. The music and literature and food, etc... It's different than what we would have if we were all white. Ditto for Asian influences, Middle Eastern, Indian, what have you? I especially love black women and admire their warmth and honesty and the way their lives are often very centered around family. Now see, to me that sounds a little like stereotyping. But I mean it in a positive way so is that ok? I miss the black friends I had growing up. Seems like as we got older we all went our seperate ways.  Why? I LOVE the writings of Alice Walker and Toni Morrison. They are amazing, awesome talents and have so much strength and courage. Two of my very favorite writers and part of why I love their writing is because they write about Black issues which is really interesting to me as a white girl who has never experienced some of those things.

So my friends in class, who completely kicked ass, btw, and fit all these positive stereotypes of black women, were not offended by what I said. Hopefully none of you are. And I know race isn't confined to black/white but that is what I have the most experience with so... there you have it.

Hope this makes sense, I guess what I'm trying to say is yes, we are all the same, but we are also very different and I think a lot of the "politically correct" talk makes us lose out on acknowledging those differences which is too bad because we can learn a lot from the differences too.

I'm not bent out of shape. I just find it offensive that if one doesn't see things the way Shiki does, she makes a snide remark in her replies. 

[quote author=red01angel link=topic=6749.msg311195#msg311195 date=1177368497]

White boy.
    [/quote]

Oh well, guess I am back to not being able to jump and having a little penis. 

shiki

[quote author=Only1Lf link=topic=6749.msg311192#msg311192 date=1177368379]
    I'm cool, honestly. I am just asking about Shiki's views on our public education system not giving minorities a fair shake. She obviously feels strongly about it and really wants to share. I am interested.

To be fair Shiki. I also thought you were talking about the higher education system. But that is not the case we see now.
    [/quote]

im just disgusted by deviant once again going out of her way to crawl up my ass. there are other people on this thread but her shit as usual is aimed my way.

shiki

[quote author=Deviant Toaster link=topic=6749.msg311177#msg311177 date=1177367872]
    Yeah exactly.

Not even gonna waste my time with this because obviously, it isn't worth it. Just like in High school I took my privileged ass down to an inner city school and helped students learn to read. I witnessed teachers being lazy and 5th graders not knowing how to read Dr. Suess. Hmm yet these teachers were educated and paid the same as white/asian/ polka dotted teachers. And then the parents aren't involved either. Nope just as long as you pass them. Hmm. If you don't care about your childs education you are not going to produce a productive child I don't care what your living situation is. You can not blame this on white people Shiki, that is utter bullshit.
    [/quote]

i am not blaiming that on white people. stop projecting your bullshit on me. i said we need to close the socio economic gap. please quote me where i said that white people are to blame. i think your tunnel vision is bullshit. how nice of you to take your priveleged ass to the inner city schools to help with them ignint colords. good for you. must make you feel really big.  do you know what socio-economic means?

[quote author=shiki link=topic=6749.msg311203#msg311203 date=1177368630]
    im just disgusted by deviant once again going out of her way to crawl up my ass. there are other people on this thread but her shit as usual is aimed my way.
    [/quote]

FUCK YOU Shiki  I was responding to what you posted.  I am not crawling up your ass. Actually wait I responded to Suzy and then you jumped in with your bullshit. I understand you don't like me, I really don't like you either. You are a like a shark out for blood on these boards. It's sick and pitiful!

shiki

[quote author=Only1Lf link=topic=6749.msg311183#msg311183 date=1177368145]
    I don't know about our toasted friend but I was asking more about your views on how minorities are left out in our public education system. I understood grades 1-12.
    [/quote]

im not just talking about minorities but they are disproportionately affected by poverty. in impoverished areas the schools are not held to the same standards as in more priveleged areas. they also don't get the same funding. this is the truth, i am not making that up. It is not just minorities affected but the poor in general.

shiki

[quote author=Deviant Toaster link=topic=6749.msg311214#msg311214 date=1177368889]
    FUCK YOU Shiki  I was responding to what you posted.  I am not crawling up your ass. Actually wait I responded to Suzy and then you jumped in with your bullshit. I understand you don't like me, I really don't like you either. You are a like a shark out for blood on these boards. It's sick and pitiful!
    [/quote]

you are one stupid bitch. you are putting words in my mouth and when i call you on it all you can say is fuck you? i never said the things you attributed to me in your several smarmy posts. im not the shark look in the mirror.

i agree that racism is a big problem, and its very much real and alive today. but i dont think these ads are racist at all. none of the "minorities" in these ads are being represented in a hateful or disrespectful way (except the rat poison one which i think is hilarious btw). people were ignorant back then, and it wasnt out of hate, it was just the way things were. saying "yessuh" and things like that were actually the way many black people talked back then, how is that racist? in fact i would think it was racist if they only used white people in their ads. the mexican frito guy was mexican because it was corn chips, its really not that racist. my mom has an antique store, and she collects antique post cards that depict black children eating watermelon and saying things like "sho' is" and i think they're cute, and a historical representation of black culture in america. my point is, i dont see anything racist about those ads, having a minority in an ad doesnt automatically make it racist.

[quote author=shiki link=topic=6749.msg311225#msg311225 date=1177369193]
    you are one stupid bitch. you are putting words in my mouth and when i call you on it all you can say is fuck you? i never said the things you attributed to me in your several smarmy posts. im not the shark look in the mirror.
    [/quote]

Yeah keep telling yourself that. Please I have made one post calling one person out , in a thread that it was appropriate. And again you got involved and jumped on me. You have been calling the racist card and being cruel to people since day one when you started posting here.

shiki

and here is me jumping in with my "bullshit"
    [quote author=shiki link=topic=6749.msg311127#msg311127 date=1177366471]
    affirmative action just puts a fuckin pinky bandage on a gaping wound. If more colords were to recieve an equal education they would be in the position to compete for those jobs without affirmative action. Close the socio-econimic gap.
    [/quote]

i can see why you would get so up in arms

shiki

[quote author=Deviant Toaster link=topic=6749.msg311229#msg311229 date=1177369342]
    Yeah keep telling yourself that. Please I have made one post calling one person out , in a thread that it was appropriate. And again you got involved and jumped on me. You have been calling the racist card and being cruel to people since day one when you started posting here.
    [/quote]

i said we need to close the econimic gap and you start ranting to me about affirmative action and student loans and scholarships and how im full of shit. what about the statement we need to close socio-economic gap cause for you to spazz out on me. ive asked you to quote all these things you attribute to me but you just counter with fuck you youre a bitch. no you are the bitch. if you can't handle opinions different than yours perhaps an internet forum is the wrong place for you.

and i don't play any race card. im black in america, my opinions come from my experience and perspective, that is not a race card. and also. i didn't start this thread, how am i pulling the race card in a thread for race discussion.

[quote author=shiki link=topic=6749.msg311212#msg311212 date=1177368878]
    i am not blaiming that on white people. stop projecting your bullshit on me. i said we need to close the socio economic gap. please quote me where i said that white people are to blame. i think your tunnel vision is bullshit. how nice of you to take your priveleged ass to the inner city schools to help with them ignint colords. good for you. must make you feel really big.  do you know what socio-economic means?
    [/quote]

Yes, we do need to close the socio-economic gap. That affects may people in this country, not just minorities. Schools siffer for it as well because of the way school funding is decided. There are so many things that affect the public education system in this country that it gives me a headache just thinking about it! Part of the reason some parents are not as involved, esp in inner city/rural poor areas is because generally people may be working more than one job, lack transportation, etc... Many people low on the socio-economic ladder in this country don't work 8-5, M-F. They are lucky if they get to spend time with their families when they are working two and three jobs to try and support them! Not to mention many of the parents of these kids were not helped by the public school system themselves, so why would they want to go back? They've lost faith.

I work in schools. Of course there are people who don't get involved for other, worse, reasons. Some are minorities, some are not. I belileve most parents want the best for their kids but their values and responsibilities may be aligned elsewhere out of pure necessitity.

shiki

[quote author=pixelcat13 link=topic=6749.msg311238#msg311238 date=1177369577]
    Yes, we do need to close the socio-economic gap. That affects may people in this country, not just minorities. Schools siffer for it as well because of the way school funding is decided. There are so many things that affect the public education system in this country that it gives me a headache just thinking about it! Part of the reason some parents are not as involved, esp in inner city/rural poor areas is because generally people may be working more than one job, lack transportation, etc... Many people low on the socio-economic ladder in this country don't work 8-5, M-F. They are lucky if they get to spend time with their families when they are working two and three jobs to try and support them! Not to mention many of the parents of these kids were not helped by the public school system themselves, so why would they want to go back? They've lost faith.

I work in schools. Of course there are people who don't get involved for other, worse, reasons. Some are minorities, some are not. I belileve most parents want the best for their kids but their values and responsibilities may be aligned elsewhere out of pure necessitity.
    [/quote]

wow...thank you. i thought i was going crazy or something.

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=6749.msg311227#msg311227 date=1177369292]
    i agree that racism is a big problem, and its very much real and alive today. but i dont think these ads are racist at all. none of the "minorities" in these ads are being represented in a hateful or disrespectful way (except the rat poison one which i think is hilarious btw). people were ignorant back then, and it wasnt out of hate, it was just the way things were. saying "yessuh" and things like that were actually the way many black people talked back then, how is that racist? in fact i would think it was racist if they only used white people in their ads. the mexican frito guy was mexican because it was corn chips, its really not that racist. my mom has an antique store, and she collects antique post cards that depict black children eating watermelon and saying things like "sho' is" and i think they're cute, and a historical representation of black culture in america. my point is, i dont see anything racist about those ads, having a minority in an ad doesnt automatically make it racist.
    [/quote]

That's an interesting perspective. I can see your points and I think that is somewhat true. People were ignorant back then but are they less ignorant now? Or have they just learned to be quieter about it? I like those postcards too, I think they are cute. I have a balck family member who does not think they are cute at all. I see where he's coming from. It is, however, part of the history of this country and I think we do ourselves a disservice pretending it didn't exist.

shiki

[quote author=pixelcat13 link=topic=6749.msg311247#msg311247 date=1177369909]
    That's an interesting perspective. I can see your points and I think that is somewhat true. People were ignorant back then but are they less ignorant now? Or have they just learned to be quieter about it? I like those postcards too, I think they are cute. I have a balck family member who does not think they are cute at all. I see where he's coming from. It is, however, part of the history of this country and I think we do ourselves a disservice pretending it didn't exist.
    [/quote]

my mother collects those things too and im going to start a collection of my own. they are offensive perhaps but they do crack me up. Im already trying to get my hands on some gollywogs cuz this is the first i ever heard of it. I would say tho that those images are not some much a reflection of black culture but a reflection of the white interpretation of black culture.

the attitude that if a student has crappy teachers and crappy parents then fuck em, they deserve to get a shitty education i find deplorable. children do not chose the situation they are born into or the parents that they have.

[quote author=shiki link=topic=6749.msg311258#msg311258 date=1177370291]
    my mother collects those things too and im going to start a collection of my own. they are offensive perhaps but they do crack me up. Im already trying to get my hands on some gollywogs cuz this is the first i ever heard of it. I would say tho that those images are not some much a reflection of black culture but a reflection of the white interpretation of black culture.

the attitude that if a student has crappy teachers and crappy parents then fuck em, they deserve to get a shitty education i find deplorable. children do not chose the situation they are born into or the parents that they have.
    [/quote]

Good point about the white interpretation. Never thought of it that way. I just thnk they're cute but I'm not looking at them from the same perspective as a black person and I can see why some people find them offensive.

Also, there are lots of good teachers in inner city schools too. Public education is is big trouble though and teachers get burnout everywhere. There are some massively crappy teachers in our district and it's almost all upper middle class white. The thing that saves some of these kids is they have parents who can afford to buy them books, take them places, give them experiences that inner-city kids don't get. One of the ladies in my class that I mentioned above ran a non-profit in Muskegon, which is a heavily black area. She said they would take the kids on a bus trip a couple times a year and they would freak out at seeing cows and stuff. They thought they weren't in Michigan anymore because their whole life experience of their home state had been the city of Muskegon. Which tells you something because Michigan is a pretty rural state! The whole point of their non-profit was to give these kids a different perspective that their parents couldn't always afford to give them. Also to give them a safe place to go after school and give them some mentoring. They do some really cool things and she runs a tight ship around there!  :-)

Are we the only ones left in this thread Shiki?  :2huh:

[quote author=pixelcat13 link=topic=6749.msg311247#msg311247 date=1177369909]
    [/quote]

i do think were less ignorant now, but not less hateful. i think there is still way too many racist people out there. i dont think the people who were ignorant back then were necessarily hateful, or racist, they just didnt know better. i think we know better now, and i applaud all the minorities who have taken the initiative to educate "us" on who they are, and how they want to be treated. i dont think they've learned to be quiet about it, i think they've learned to be respectful and understanding of "minorities" feelings, and the equal respect they demand, and deserve. we didnt know those ads were harmful back then, until the "minorities" let us know. sorry if im pulling shit outa my ass, im on painkillers so im half retarded today.

Thread Information