Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle homeowner Benjamin Batterham charged with murder after burglar dies

Newcastle homeowner Benjamin Batterham charged with murder after burglar dies

Apologies in advance if this has been posted somewhere. I've done a quick search and couldn't see anything. Please delete if double posted, or move if in wrong spot, etc VERY hot topic in Australia at the moment.

Newcastle homeowner Benjamin Batterham charged with murder after burglar dies

A homeowner has been charged with murder after he allegedly confronted a burglar who broke into his house on Saturday morning and left the intruder with fatal injuries.

Police say Richard James Slater, 34, known as Ricky Slater, broke into a house in Cleary Street in the Newcastle suburb of Hamilton early on Saturday.

Benjamin Batterham, 33, who lives at the home with his young family, is believed to have found Mr Slater inside his house about 3.30am.

Mr Batterham and a 32-year-old friend became involved in a fight with Mr Slater, which continued outside on the street
    Advertisement

Neighbours say they were woken by the sound of loud bangs and people running.

Police received a call that three men were fighting and arrived to find the two men had "detained" Mr Slater.

But a short time later he lost consciousness, police said.

He was treated by ambulance paramedics and taken to John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition.

Mr Batterham was treated in hospital for facial injuries.

He was charged with recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm and was released on conditional bail.

But about 11.30am on Sunday, Mr Slater's life support was switched off.

A few hours later, Mr Batterham handed himself in to Newcastle police station and was charged with murder.

He was refused bail by police and is due to appear in Newcastle Bail Court on Monday.

The 32-year-old man has spoken to police, but has not been charged.

Mr Slater was released from jail in December after successfully appealing against a four-year jail term for aggravated break and enter and fraud offences.

He had served more than 20 months before the Court of Criminal Appeal ruled his convictions should be quashed due to errors made by the trial judge.

Mr Slater had been convicted of a ram raid at Sandgate adult store Nauti & Nice in November, 2012, in which cash and a quantity of synthetic drugs were stolen.

He was acquitted on appeal and released from custody after the Crown conceded a number of errors were made in the trial, including the use of CCTV footage.

Newcastle City police Chief Inspector Trevor Shiels would not go into specifics about the case on Sunday, but said it was a "very sad and very serious" matter.

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

'Home invader' Ricky Slater-Dickson had conviction for raping teenage girl

The man allegedly murdered by a resident after being found inside a Newcastle house had previously been convicted for raping a teenage girl after entering her home late at night.

In what will increase the passionate debate about the murder charge laid against resident Benjamin Batterham, Fairfax Media can reveal that his alleged victim Ricky Slater-Dickson was sentenced to a minimum four years' jail for the 2007 attack on a16-year-old girl in South Tamworth.

The rape followed years of other offending, with Slater-Dickson's lengthy criminal history, tendered in court, detailing convictions for drugs, assault, theft and driving offences.

On a night in June 2007, a teenage girl had been expecting her ex-boyfriend to visit her at her South Tamworth home. But when she answered a knock at the door, she found a pantless Slater-Dickson standing there.

Slater-Dickson ignored her plea for him to leave, pushed his way inside and raped the teenager, facts tendered in court reveal.

He was arrested after his DNA matched a swab taken from the teenager. Slater-Dickson was sentenced to a maximum six years' jail in Sydney District Court on January 16, 2009.

It is understood the victim didn't know Slater-Dickson's name but told police he had turned up at her front door on previous occasions and been told to leave.

But about 11pm on June 6, 2007, he managed to push his way inside the victim's home.

As he sexually assaulted the teenager, he threatened to stab her if she didn't shut up.

When Slater-Dickson left the house, the victim closed the door, ran to her bedroom and called triple-zero, as well as her best friend and her father.

A DNA profile recovered from a vaginal swab was later matched with Slater-Dickson's DNA.

He was arrested in October 2007, and four months later pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual intercourse without consent.

Fairfax Media has previously reported that Slater-Dickson was released from jail in December after successfully appealing against a four-year jail term for aggravated break-and-enter and fraud offences.

He had served more than 20 months before the Court of Criminal Appeal ruled his convictions should be quashed because of errors made by the trial judge.

Newcastle City police are still investigating the possible motive behind Slater-Dickson entering the Cleary Street, Newcastle, home about 3.30am on Saturday.

He was allegedly inside the home, though not in a bedroom, when he was discovered.

What happened next is part of the brief of evidence being prepared, however, Fairfax Media can confirm that Slater-Dickson's neck was not broken.

He was found unresponsive down the street.

Let him out, this guy was a peice of shit. He deserves wht he got !

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    So he breaks into the guy's home, intent on godknowswhat, and gets what he deserves (an asskicking), later dies, and now the homeowner is charged with murder? The dude was a repeat piece of shit, and now because he died the homeowner is charged with his murder? The fuck?

This is bullshit. Stop the world, I want off.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Why the guy is being charged with murder is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Possibly the homeowner chased him out and was continuing to pursue a perpetrator running away. They would do that in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

I read somewherw he kept beating tge guy after the cops arrived. I think this is why he was charged.
    He kept going even once there was no more threat.
    I think he did us all a favr. I hope he gets off.

Cool blast that trigger my bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Yes the same could be said for another case, which will be kicking off soon again. Seems to be all about popular opinion, if the victim is a scumbag, no problem, perp is a good guy. If the victim is a supposedly good two shoes female, well it must be the perp's fault without question.

But this is the ambit of modern policing, charge everyone left right and centre, with the most severe charge possible, that can't possibly be upheld. Then let the poor arrestee hire a very expensive lawyer/barrister to free himself of baseless charges and into a lifetime servitude of debt to the tune of K$200. Then when he is acquitted, he has no criminal redress against the Police because they were acting in the interests of justice. Great fun if you are a cop, you can act like a complete asshole , ruin someones life, and keep the whole "law enforcement/legal defence" circus going whilst going on to bully your next hapless victim.

Welcome to "justice", teenies style.

In relation to Mr Batterham, it has been revealed that he was bitten a number of times by this scumbag paedo rapist/burglar.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...dfa6a4da37a47f

Now I would imagine, if you were trying to detain an intruder, and he/she did that, that would certainly take things to another level, and be grounds for retaliation.

If this was a cop that had done this, he would be hailed as a hero, and up for a citation.
    But do it as a citizen , you get slapped up on murder charges and possibly put away for 20 years.

Bias? Beware the approach of a gunless society America, you could end up like Australia, a quagmire of phaggoted liberalism.

Greetings from Bulgaria. Go Trump.

Wow what a sad situation.

I know I'm going to have an extremely unpopular opinion, but if he did indeed chase the guy down and keep beating him when he was no longer a threat, then no, he did not "do us all a favour", he should be charged with something.

I get the dude was a piece of shit. I'm not sad he's no longer living. but the guy who beat him didn't know ahead of time that this guy was a rapist. This guy could have just been a non-dangerous petty burglar for all the home owner knew, and yet he beat him to death after he was no longer resisting.

Just...no. Not cool.

He is allowed the use reasonable force to detain him though. The deceased may have broken his own neck trying to get away who knows? Hardly any details have been released, so not possible to form an opinion. What is wrong is that bail is being refused - the guy has a fixed address, a partner and kids.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Obviously this wasn't in Texas or he would have a medal and a parade!

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

My guess is the police felt the beating should have stopped once the man was subdued. I'm not sure where the line is but if I came upon someone breaking into the home my family was in I don't know if I'd have self control.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    My guess is the police felt the beating should have stopped once the man was subdued. I'm not sure where the line is but if I came upon someone breaking into the home my family was in I don't know if I'd have self controll.
    This is the difference between Texas and the rest of the planet. In Texas, you can get off by simply saying "I was out of my mind with anger" and they'd chalk it up to your inability to comprehend right from wrong because you're still in the FIGHT part of the fight or flight mode.

I get it, someone breaks in and you beat the fuck out of them...their problem, not yours. But to continue to do so even after he's subdued by authorities - that is a different thing entirely. Someone has to answer for that.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    This is the difference between Texas and the rest of the planet. In Texas, you can get off by simply saying "I was out of my mind with anger"
    I dont know Texas law, but thats highly improbable. Most first world countries' statutes hold the concept of reasonable force very important, and generally its illegal to use excessive force to detain anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    I get it, someone breaks in and you beat the fuck out of them...their problem, not yours. But to continue to do so even after he's subdued by authorities - that is a different thing entirely. Someone has to answer for that.
    Correct. It is interesting though, isnt it, that American Police are the most notorious for using excessive force, shooting unarmed people left right and centre for nothing more than non compliance with their verbal commands, and they seem to get away with it?

It was in the dark of night, and the exact details are unclear. Its not clear Batterham attacked the prowler after Police had him in custody. The guy was tall and fat, so probably thought he was big enough to escape and probably pursued that course vigorously, then started biting his attackers when he was being held. As I said above, they may have reacted when he/they were bitten.

Anyway we'll have to wait till the facts come out. But no way will he go for murder.

Hey guys, I live in Newcastle (Newy for those who know it).

This is very hotly debated here; most seem to think he 'did everyone a favour', but I'm sus. He chased him WAYYYYY to far and continued to beat him. (I heard on the radio a few football fields long away from the home)

Basically in Australia he's charged because we don't 'defend our castles' I suppose (I'm glad about that, thank you gun control).

He got bail today - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ky-Slater.html

Our radio station on court today - http://www.nxfm.com.au/thisisnewcast...ving-him-bail/ "He murdered my son and you're giving him bail"

Tried to find Facebook's for you all, but the family, bar a few younger (I have mutual friends) seem to be private. They aren't relevant so won't share.

Main chatter is about Ben possibly being involved in selling/moving drugs - it was also first reported the family was well off, but they have had to mortgage the parents house for bail etc. (All chatter as I said) So not much has come out yet, but I guess him getting bail means he has a decent shot of getting off. I don't know. I just feel there isn't evidence of Ricky actually being creepy other than the fathers word, and as such as I don't think a break and enter justifies beating someone to death/chasing them that far away TO beat them etc.

Anyhow! Shall update as I find things!

Im glad he got bail.
    His defense team are being so careful in the way they are preceeding. The court will probably look at time already served and just give him probation in the end.
    I think maybe that is why his defense team have been patient and orchestrated things the way they have.

Quote Originally Posted by daisylane View Post
    This is very hotly debated here; most seem to think he 'did everyone a favour', but I'm sus. He chased him WAYYYYY to far and continued to beat him. (I heard on the radio a few football fields long away from the home)
    I think you heard wrong. The chasing has nothing to do with it anyway, because the guy is entitled to make a citizens arrest.

Basically in Australia he's charged because we don't 'defend our castles' I suppose (I'm glad about that, thank you gun control).
    You are wrong, one can use reasonable force to defend and repel an intruder in your home.

Main chatter is about Ben possibly being involved in selling/moving drugs - it was also first reported the family was well off, but they have had to mortgage the parents house for bail etc. (All chatter as I said)
    Chatter, but all irrelevant.

but I guess him getting bail means he has a decent shot of getting off. I don't know.
    It means he isn't a flight risk.

I just feel there isn't evidence of Ricky actually being creepy
    Really? you must have missed the bit where he was lurking at a private residence at 3 am or so in the morning, then ran from the scene when discovered, and also where he is reported as having bitten Batterham several times. Slater was also a convicted rapist of the worst kind. The guy is as creepy as fuck, but of course that doesn't stop his mother from playing the victim and carrying on with blameless histrionics still 6 weeks later.

, and as such as I don't think a break and enter justifies beating someone to death/chasing them that far away TO beat them etc.
    I don't think shooting people is justified when cops could take a few steps back, and call for a swat team with appropriate weapons, but that doesn't seem to stop them and being exonerated in the name of justice and being freed to do it all over again, does it?

Fact is the details are quite sketchy, and it hasn't been reported that he was actually beaten. Slater died of a broken neck, which could have easily happened by falling to the ground. Just saying.

Wasnt 4 Corners interesting last night?

Quote Originally Posted by shitty outlook View Post
    Really? you must have missed the bit where he was lurking at a private residence at 3 am or so in the morning, then ran from the scene when discovered, and also where he is reported as having bitten Batterham several times. Slater was also a convicted rapist of the worst kind. The guy is as creepy as fuck, but of course that doesn't stop his mother from playing the victim and carrying on with blameless histrionics still 6 weeks later.

Fact is the details are quite sketchy, and it hasn't been reported that he was actually beaten. Slater died of a broken neck, which could have easily happened by falling to the ground. Just saying.

I like how you didn't include my full quote, I didn't miss the bit about him lurking about (still not proof he was creeping on the girl, could have been casing for B&E), I said that the only person saying that was the case is the man who killed him/those around him.

It has been reported he was beaten, then later died in hospital.

Didn't watch it. I don't find this case particularly interesting, I find it infuriating. Newcastle is half open minded progressives, half 'yeh fuk em up bra' types. The debates on this one are too unintelligible to keep up with.

Just looked at 4C website, didn't realise it covered a different case! I'll watch tonight and report back!

I just read the SMH article you obviously referred to above and I see where you derived your statements from. Its funny how they now claim BB had only received one bite mark , whereas previously it had been reported that he had received many. Prior articles do not mention that Slater was chased down for 400 metres, nor that Slater actually stole a handbag.

Really, its ill advised to pay too much attention to anything the media claims. I see we have a recording that will be part of the evidence. This reminds me of another case.

The 4 corners episode shows how differently the law is applied to cases in Australia - from immediate charges being laid in cases where the intent to kill is not evident at all, to other cases where contributory neglect leading to manslaughter is fairly obvious and even admitted by the perpetrators, and yet the DPP has no interest in prosecuting.

The SMH article also says Slater died of asphyxiation, which again is different to the earlier claims of a broken neck. I guess they make it all up as they go along.

The SMH article also says Slater died of asphyxiation, which again is different to the earlier claims of a broken neck. I guess they make it all up as they go along.
    This actually strengthens my point regarding overkill/going to far!

He sees a random man *apparently* looking through a window, then chases him down the street and strangles him without any questions?

I don't think bail is wise, but again, people think this man is now a 'hero'.

I hope more comes out regarding Slater's MH. Will this guy still be a hero?

(Would like to again note, to avoid arguments, that IF he was looking through the window at the child, the chase is fair enough. I will never think an eye for an eye works, or that this man deserved to die)

that IF he was looking through the window at the child, the chase is fair enough. I will never think an eye for an eye works
    Eye for an eye is something most people understand, even if you are not biblically inclined like me.

You missed the bit where it is now being reported that Slater actually stole a handbag, so it would seem he did "enter" the house in some way to steal property.

It is not a question of being a hero. It is more of a question of whether a jury would convict. Using current public sentiment as a guide, it is highly unlikely.

Thread Information