Thread: Brad Hettinger killed wife children and self, had PTSD

Brad Hettinger killed wife children and self, had PTSD

Brad Hettinger shot his wife, children then set house on fire and shot self. His brother says he was a vet who was awarded a Bronze Star and was getting help for PTSD.
    These PTSD stories really sadden me. Those kids were freaking adorable. Heartbreaking

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/bro...ement/98365046

CONNECT

TWEET

LINKEDIN

GOOGLE+

PINTEREST
    LOUISVILLE (WHAS11) ? The brother of Brad Hettinger who is accused of shooting his family, setting fire to their home and then killing himself on Sunday, March 20, released a statement.

Brad Hettinger?s brother said family members are deeply shaken by the events that happened and he was an upright man who served his country.

The following is the full statement from Brad Hettinger?s brother:

"We as a family are devastated and deeply shaken by the events that have transpired. Brad Hettinger was an honorable, respectable, family-centered man who believed strongly in his religious values, who served his country with valor, and who provided a nurturing and caring environment for his family. Before the events of March 20th, Brad was actively seeking help for complications associated with PTSD while simultaneously attending marriage counseling with his wife. We ask the greater Louisville community to direct some of your prayers and thoughts toward the Gayheart and Hettinger families during this most grievous of times."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-dead-i...me-police-say/

Tweet Stumble Email
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Authorities say four family members were killed in a murder-suicide at a Kentucky home that was set on fire.

Jefferson County Deputy Coroner Eddie Robinson said Monday the victims were a married couple and their two children. He says all four died of gunshot wounds.

Robinson says 33-year-old Brad Hettinger died at the scene Sunday of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

He says Hettinger's wife, 32-year-old Billie Jo Hettinger, died of gunshot wounds to the chest and head. He says her identification is tentative pending review of dental records.

Hettinger's wife also suffered thermal injuries in the fire, CBS affiliate WLKY reported.

Robinson says their children -- 5-year-old Collin Hettinger and 4-year-old Courtney Hettinger -- each died of a single gunshot wound to the head.

The victims were found in the home after firefighters responded to the fire in an upscale suburban neighborhood in southeast Louisville.

WLKY reported that investigators said firefighters did not know of the shootings until they found the bodies.

The coroner said the children were found in their beds, Billie Jo Hettinger was found in the basement and Brad Hettinger was found on the first floor of the home.

Jefferstontown firefighter Drew Hinton was off-duty Sunday, but hearing about what happened hit him, WLKY reported.

Hinton started an online donation page, to try and make things a little easier for the family of the victims.

"Help raise money for the family and friends for funeral costs and funeral expenses and any other unaccounted-for expenses they didn't expect," Hinton said.

The Louisville Fire Department union has also started a donation page.

"Hits close to home, so we kind of just want to help out as much as possible, and especially hearing that there was children involved," Hinton said.

Originally posted by animosity:

Hmu next time, we'll have some soapy gins and then draw each other naked. Until we get kicked out.

Hmu next time, we'll have some soapy gins and then draw each other naked. Until we get kicked out.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    So tragic.

Terrible :( PTSD is awful and leads to tragic consequences

Putting faces to the story...

Courtney and Collin

Billie Jo (who was a nurse)

Brad

Brother: Gunman in murder-suicide near J'town battled PTSD

The brother of a man who shot and killed his wife and two young children and then torched their house before taking his own life on Sunday said in a written statement about the tragedy that Brad Hettinger had been battling post-traumatic stress disorder.

The statement, issued just after noon on Wednesday, reads in its entirety as follows:

"We as a family are devastated and deeply shaken by the events that have transpired. Brad Hettinger was an honorable, respectable, family centered man who believed strongly in his religious values, who served his country with valor, and who provided a nurturing and caring environment for his family. Before the events of March 20, Brad was actively seeking help for complications associated with PTSD while simultaneously attending marriage counseling with his wife. We ask the greater Louisville community to direct some of your prayers and thoughts toward the Gayheart and Hettinger families during this most grievous of times."

Billie Jo Gayheart Hettinger, 32, and the couple's children, 4-year-old Courtney and 5-year-old Collin attended Palm Sunday Mass with Brad shortly before the murder-suicide at their home on Saratoga Springs Place near Jeffersontown.

Brad Hettinger's obituary shows him in a military uniform and identifies him as Captain Brad Louis Hettinger. It states that he had served as captain of the 8-229th ARB Task Force Apache Flying Tigers overseas. The obituary also stated he received a Bronze Star in 2011. The medal is awarded to members of the United States Armed Forces for heroic or meritorious achievement or service in a combat zone.
    http://www.wave3.com/story/31547978/...n-battled-ptsd

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    We send them over because of Corporate greed and they ALL come back broken. Then they abandon them. Take a good look at where our Government has brought us to. It's a disgrace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    We send them over because of Corporate greed and they ALL come back broken. Then they abandon them. Take a good look at where our Government has brought us to. It's a disgrace.
    Can't rep you, but totally agree with this!

It is hard to say this guy is a bastard for killing those beautiful children and his wife. Because war is hell and ptsd is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMichaelBaden View Post
    It is hard to say this guy is a bastard for killing those beautiful children and his wife. Because war is hell and ptsd is awful.
    It's no different than someone who is clinically insane. We can't blame him.

My opinion: Not a super happy household. Any woman who continuously takes selfies of herself to post on FB does not have her marriage as the highest priority. I am pretty sure I am correct in this. She did not post family photos - etc. I think she was going to separate herself and kids from her husband until he got help.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMichaelBaden View Post
    I'm going to go with he wasn't in his right mind. He had documented PTSD, which I don't think in itself makes people more violent towards others as much as it makes them suicidal, but there are varying degrees and everyone is different.

Those pictures really got to me. What a beautiful family they were. This is so tragic.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by More Cowbelle View Post
    My opinion: Not a super happy household. Any woman who continuously takes selfies of herself to post on FB does not have her marriage as the highest priority. I am pretty sure I am correct in this. She did not post family photos - etc. I think she was going to separate herself and kids from her husband until he got help.
    You can't really judge people by their Facebook pics. That's not really fair. I'm not trying to pick on you, just that she was in couples therapy, so she was working on the marriage.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

The guy reached out. Looking for help with his PTSD. They signed up for couples therapy. They were TRYING. If that isn't a cry for help, I don't know what is. This is just a terrible tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    You can't really judge people by their Facebook pics. That's not really fair. I'm not trying to pick on you, just that she was in couples therapy, so she was working on the marriage.
    Same...do not want to seem argumentative but since 2012 i see 5 pictures of herself...and 2 of the kids.

But maybe she didn't feel comfortable sharing pictures of her children on FB? I have friends who are reluctant to do so for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by More Cowbelle View Post
    wtf is this fuckery.

I put up new selfies over the weekend. Hubby better mind his Ps and Qs. ...???

Fucking hell.

Thread Information