Thread: High School wrestler says he got herpes at tournament

High School wrestler says he got herpes at tournament

Whoa...

Stockton high school wrestler says he got herpes at tournament

Teen can't wrestle anymore, must take medicine for life
    UPDATED 11:40 PM PST Mar 03, 2016

STOCKTON, Calif. (KCRA) ?Weeks after an out-of-area wrestling tournament, Bear Creek High School junior David DeLoach started noticing bumps on his skin.

"I thought it was just acne because it first started on my face,? DeLoach said.

Then, the bumps spread to his ear, arm and legs.

His doctor diagnosed lumps herpes.

Deloach said it hurt so badly, he couldn't sleep. He was depressed and felt rejected by his friends.

"They didn't want me to touch them or nothing; no high fives or anything," he said.

There's no cure for herpes. To prevent outbreaks, DeLoach will have to take medicine every day -- for the rest of his life.

"I understand why people would choose to die instead," DeLoach said.

The Bear Creek wrestling coach said each year they hold a meeting with parents and students to inform them about risks associated with wrestling, including concussions and skin infections.

DeLoach's mother didn't attend that meeting and wasn't aware that herpes was a risk.

"It should be mandatory that they disclose this disease and the effect that it could have on the students," Roni DeLoach said.

She's now asking Lodi Unified Schools to cover the costs of her son?s medicine.

"I do think they should take responsibility cause they're responsible for the child when the child is in their sport," Roni DeLoach said.

As for David DeLoach, he wants a stricter physical evaluation of wrestlers before they hit the mat.

"People need to be more concerned about how serious getting herpes is and how it'll affect your life," David DeLoach said.

David DeLoach is no longer allowed to wrestle.

KCRA reached out to the school district for comment but did not hear back by the time this story was posted.

http://www.kcra.com/news/stockton-hi...ament/38334412

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I have never heard of "lumps herpes". It is referred to as Type I or Type II.

That is just crazy to me! I didn't know you could get it that way, just from wrestling.

I think they should have everyone tested for it before being allowed to wrestle. This poor guy got it from another wrestler, and for all we know, the person who gave it to him is spreading it around to others. He should not be able to wrestle anymore, just like this kid who shared his story isn't allowed to wrestle anymore because of it. I feel so bad for him.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

fuck that mom though, she skipped the warning meeting and now wants the district to pay for his kids valtrex or whatever the rest of his life?

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    right? when i was reading i thought they were maybe talking about shingles, but that would be unusual in so many separate spots as well. i googled and there are no hits for 'lumps herpes.' i don't understand.

while i agree people should be more concerned about herpes, the reality is many people carry the virus and never have symptoms. i wonder if this kid has some immune issues or they're just confused about his diagnosis?

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I read that line 3 times saying "wtf is lumps herpes?"
    I've decided it's just another example of stellar journalism and proofreading. Insert the word "as" in between lumps and herpes and it makes more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_gladiatorum

Herpes gladiatorum is prevalent among wrestlers. Mom should have attended the meeting that discussed the risks of wrestling. The wiki says it can be prevented by taking antivirals during wrestling season.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    right? when i was reading i thought they were maybe talking about shingles, but that would be unusual in so many separate spots as well. i googled and there are no hits for 'lumps herpes.' i don't understand.

while i agree people should be more concerned about herpes, the reality is many people carry the virus and never have symptoms. i wonder if this kid has some immune issues or they're just confused about his diagnosis?
    At first I thought he contracted Herpes simplex 1 from someone that had a cold sore. That made sense to me because my ex used to wrestle, and I know they are very careful not to get/spread stuff such as ringworm. But a cold sore usually goes away on its own.

I, too, thought what he had sounded like shingles. I wonder if this is a misdiagnosis. He probably just has contact dermatitis.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

It isn't a misdiagnosis, the article just fails to explain it properly. The kid has Herpes gladiatorum, otherwise known as 'mat herpes':

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/c...ons/herpes.htm

Speaking of shingles I've been seeing those commercials that say if you had chicken pox the virus is already in you, have any of you ever been vaccinated?
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post

Herpes gladiatorum is prevalent among wrestlers. Mom should have attended the meeting that discussed the risks of wrestling. The wiki says it can be prevented by taking antivirals during wrestling season.
    Quote Originally Posted by housemouse View Post
    It isn't a misdiagnosis, the article just fails to explain it properly. The kid has Herpes gladiatorum, otherwise known as 'mat herpes':

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/c...ons/herpes.htm

Sorry Mary, didn't see your post. Thanks for clearing that up HM.

I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility that you could catch something in a skin-to-skin contact sport.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    Speaking of shingles I've been seeing those commercials that say if you had chicken pox the virus is already in you, have any of you ever been vaccinated?
    i've had shingles. the chickenpox virus stays with you, which is why you only get it once (it's unusual but some people get it twice). it resurfaces in the form of shingles. it's more common in elderly people or anyone with a weakened immune system.

herpesvirus live in your nerve ganglia. they're clusters of nerve cells, which is why shingles is so painful for most people. it also makes it appearance distinctive, it will only be on one side of your body and in one area. HSVI typically resides in the ganglia of your mouth, and HSVII near your genitals, but it can be reversed.

if you have herpes I you can spread it to other parts of your body. herpes withlow, for instance, is when you get it on your fingers. i knew a person with HSVI who had it, he had a bad habit of chewing his fingers.

i've never heard of mat herpes. i could see how the training and weight requirements for wrestlers could compromise a person's immune system. but these are usually young, healthy kids. still makes me curious as to how it gets in so many places.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    i've had shingles. the chickenpox virus stays with you, which is why you only get it once (it's unusual but some people get it twice). it resurfaces in the form of shingles. it's more common in elderly people or anyone with a weakened immune system.

herpesvirus live in your nerve ganglia. they're clusters of nerve cells, which is why shingles is so painful for most people. it also makes it appearance distinctive, it will only be on one side of your body and in one area. HSVI typically resides in the ganglia of your mouth, and HSVII near your genitals, but it can be reversed.

if you have herpes I you can spread it to other parts of your body. herpes withlow, for instance, is when you get it on your fingers. i knew a person with HSVI who had it, he had a bad habit of chewing his fingers.

i've never heard of mat herpes. i could see how the training and weight requirements for wrestlers could compromise a person's immune system. but these are usually young, healthy kids. still makes me curious as to how it gets in so many places.

I've had shingles twice. I think it's got something to do with auto immune diseases (that's a personal guess, not something I've read, my Dr insists it doesn't).

Re the mat herpes, the wiki mentioned that wearing synthetics or synthetic/cotton blends could cause friction that
    results in tiny breaks in the skin. I'm pretty sure mat friction would do the same & a tiny break in the skin is all the herpes virus needs.

Schools don't do wrestling down here, so maybe it's a cultural thing but it's always grossed me out a bit when I see it in a movie.
    & now it grosses me out even more

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    I've had shingles twice. I think it's got something to do with auto immune diseases (that's a personal guess, not something I've read, my Dr insists it doesn't).

Re the mat herpes, the wiki mentioned that wearing synthetics or synthetic/cotton blends could cause friction that
    results in tiny breaks in the skin. I'm pretty sure mat friction would do the same & a tiny break in the skin is all the herpes virus needs.

Schools don't do wrestling down here, so maybe it's a cultural thing but it's always grossed me out a bit when I see it in a movie.
    & now it grosses me out even more
    i know some young people who have issues with recurring shingles. many medications taken by people with autoimmune issues compromise you immune system and leave you more susceptible to infections, ect.

something crazy like 70-80% of people exposed to HSVI never have symptoms or have incredible mild symptoms because their immune system keeps it well contained. it doesn't mean these folks cannot spread the virus, however. their can still be viral shedding without symptoms. and some people can be infected and not show symptoms for years and years and suddenly break out.

this is a topic i'm very interested in as i've always wanted to teach sex ed. one day.

I know the health exams around here that kids take is basic. It's just a basic exam that my girls had. Makes me wonder why sports that have high risk don't require a more detailed exam

I also wonder why mom didn't buy the school's insurance package when she let her kid join wrestling. We're always advised that if your kid joins some type of sport- you should purchase the insurance package for sports that the school offers. They usually have an accidental clause on there that would cover stuff like this. It's usually like 20 bucks a year or something. It's really cheap (or at least it was here)

He has Herpes simplex. The point of the interview was to help someone else from getting it. My daughter went to the meeting and getting herpes was never discuss. I wasn't able to go because I was recovering from brain surgery. My daughter wrestled the year before and I was at that meeting the subject never came up. People don't realize how much this is spreading.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doball63 View Post
    He has Herpes simplex. The point of the interview was to help someone else from getting it. My daughter went to the meeting and getting herpes was never discuss. I wasn't able to go because I was recovering from brain surgery. My daughter wrestled the year before and I was at that meeting the subject never came up. People don't realize how much this is spreading.
    Welcome! Are you his Mom? I heard about this happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Doball63 View Post
    Welcome! I am guessing your are his mother? That is so awful this happened. But I have to say, he is SO brave for coming forward and speaking about this. I'm sure most people who are inflicted with this won't talk about it, and the fact he did just to help others is amazing and courageous.

I have a feeling it wasn't brought up, or if it was, it was done so quickly and not taken seriously or else I really think a lot of people who reconsider wrestling. That is a very scary thing to happen, as there is no cure.

Unfortunately, the kid(s) spreading it may not even know they have it. As emmie mentioned above, carriers can go without symptoms so can spread the virus unknowingly. Not sure what sti testing is like in the US, but in Ontario you have to specifically request to be screened for herpes, it is not included in the regular testing.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    Unfortunately, the kid(s) spreading it may not even know they have it. As emmie mentioned above, carriers can go without symptoms so can spread the virus unknowingly. Not sure what sti testing is like in the US, but in Ontario you have to specifically request to be screened for herpes, it is not included in the regular testing.
    I hope they do. If it is reaching this point, as especially if they say they talk about it in meetings and warn others, they should be testing for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    They need to definitely give athletes stricter physicals and it can't hurt to have disinfected mats that they change out each match. I've heard that lots of stuff gets passed around not just by the person you're wrestling, but from the mats themselves like ringworm etc. If they had a different mat each match, that would minimize it.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information