Whoa...

Stockton high school wrestler says he got herpes at tournament

Teen can't wrestle anymore, must take medicine for life
UPDATED 11:40 PM PST Mar 03, 2016

STOCKTON, Calif. (KCRA) ?Weeks after an out-of-area wrestling tournament, Bear Creek High School junior David DeLoach started noticing bumps on his skin.

"I thought it was just acne because it first started on my face,? DeLoach said.

Then, the bumps spread to his ear, arm and legs.

His doctor diagnosed lumps herpes.

Deloach said it hurt so badly, he couldn't sleep. He was depressed and felt rejected by his friends.

"They didn't want me to touch them or nothing; no high fives or anything," he said.

There's no cure for herpes. To prevent outbreaks, DeLoach will have to take medicine every day -- for the rest of his life.

"I understand why people would choose to die instead," DeLoach said.

The Bear Creek wrestling coach said each year they hold a meeting with parents and students to inform them about risks associated with wrestling, including concussions and skin infections.

DeLoach's mother didn't attend that meeting and wasn't aware that herpes was a risk.

"It should be mandatory that they disclose this disease and the effect that it could have on the students," Roni DeLoach said.

She's now asking Lodi Unified Schools to cover the costs of her son?s medicine.

"I do think they should take responsibility cause they're responsible for the child when the child is in their sport," Roni DeLoach said.

As for David DeLoach, he wants a stricter physical evaluation of wrestlers before they hit the mat.

"People need to be more concerned about how serious getting herpes is and how it'll affect your life," David DeLoach said.

David DeLoach is no longer allowed to wrestle.

KCRA reached out to the school district for comment but did not hear back by the time this story was posted.

http://www.kcra.com/news/stockton-hi...ament/38334412