Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Two female backpackers kidnapped & brutalised at Coorong national park in South Australia. 59 year old Adelaide man charged.

Deleted. Not him
    Last edited by blighted star; 03-17-2017 at 04:16 AM.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Yeah, I think it is a relative and not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Yeah, I think it is a relative and not him.
    Yeah I think so too after seeing some of the other pics on it. I'm wondering if he borrowed a relative's name for that profile though because that an immediate family member was posting to him under that photo. Whatever his connection is to that account, they both seem to like posting pics of their boats & sharks. A couple of people have wondered if there's a connection between Roman's boat/shark pix & some of our mis pers

& that Asian dating profile's been removed but this is still up - he sliced a decade off his age on this one

http://www.findmyfavouriteteacher.co...-jobs-S0016673

Can't remember if I mentioned it before but there's two unsound convictions in WA for the murders of a young women & a young teenager that could fit his timeframe too. The WA Innocence Project has taken on at least one of them.
    Last edited by blighted star; 03-17-2017 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Removed unrelated stuff I missed when I first posted

In looking at his daughter's FB page, it looks like the guy in those pictures might be his brother or something. His name is Werner.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Yeah I think so too after seeing some of the other pics on it. I'm wondering if he borrowed a relative's name for that profile though because that is his daughter posting to him under that photo. That guy has another one with the same old fishing pix but he's locked it down over the last week. Whatever their connection is, they all seem to like posting pics of their boats & sharks. A couple of people have wondered if there's a connection between Roman's boat/shark pix & some of our mis pers

& that Asian dating profile's been removed but this is still up - he sliced a decade off his age on this one

http://www.findmyfavouriteteacher.co...-jobs-S0016673

Can't remember if I mentioned it before but there's two unsound convictions in WA for the murders of a young women & a young teenager that could fit his timeframe too. The WA Innocence Project has taken on at least one of them.
    I forgot to mention that when I Googled Roman this weekend that was one of the sites that came up where he was looking for a teacher for Chinese Mandarin. I am not sure which site it was, but one of Roman's profiles showed where he was following some women...one in particular looked to be Asian.

I found where I saw that...it was on his Flickr page:

https://www.flickr.com/people/roman_heinze/

Police appeal for caller with vital information on alleged Salt Creek backpacker attack to call again

South Australian police have urged a caller who gave potentially valuable information about an alleged sex attack on two foreign backpackers to contact them again.

Authorities want to clarify information phoned in at 11.30pm the night after two women in their twenties were allegedly attacked on a remote campsite at Salt Creek, in the Coorong National Park, last month.

"I can't go into the specifics of the call. Suffice to say, the information is of interest," Inspector Trent Cox told reporters.

He asked the person to phone 1800 333 000 between 6pm and 8pm Adelaide time today.

A 59-year-old man has been charged with a string of offences including unlawful sexual intercourse and attempted murder and will return to court in April.

Investigators from Task Force Coorong are investigating the wider circumstances of the alleged incident.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...wmRqMxplhQx.99

Hi, i have just joined this site as i have an interest in this case. can anyone advise if there is a current discussion and where to find it as i dont know my way around the site sorry

many thanks

Nah, this is it. Weird coincidence you posting today though, because for the first time in many months I was wondering about this again last night. Mainly because I still find the similarities between Roman & the early descriptions of Paul Onions & Joanne Lees/Pete Falconio's attackers (& that pic of a Ruger rifle on Roman's VK profile) to be pretty unusual coincidences, especially his height - which was what first got the investigation focused on Bradley Murdoch.

I'm going to go back & read the whole thread because I'm not sure how much I posted re what I read on unsolveds in the areas he's known to have travelled.

Also, just saying, it sux it was South Aus where he committed these assaults because SA would have to have the most extreme naming/reporting rules of any state in Australia. It's one of the reasons it went so quiet. There'll also be a few very high profile police & writer's careers tarnished if the Milat & Murdoch convictions are ever seriously questioned, so that probably hasn't helped.

Personally speaking, realising there was even just the tiniest chance they were both genuinely proclaiming their innocence was one of those moments where you feel like reality just flipped completely off it's axis

I read back & I think I covered everything & then some. There's probably not much more we can say until/unless they start releasing what the taskforce has discovered

I will post this in the meantime though because I forgot to add it last time - the original identikit issued after the attack on Joanne Lees & Pete Falconio
    in the NT :

CCTV of the suspect from a Northern Territory roadhouse :

Haven't got the exact dates they changed it, but just like in the suspect description in NSW's Backpacker case, the Falconio murder identikit underwent some dramatic changes around the time a suspect was named (borrowed from Websleuths because I'm too lazy to spend hours going through old newspapers on Trove, if anyone's got a spare day though, go for it http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/re...io+Joanne+lees )

This is the "updated" identikit that was issued in the Falconio investigation :

This is Bradley Murdoch, the man convicted of Pete's murder :

Roman Heinze when he was younger & more recently
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blighted star; 03-17-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Also, update we missed in Sept 16

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...ef170bedb5b20c

September 2, 2016 11:00am

"He's going to kill us all": Backpacker terror in the Coorong
    Widespread suppression orders on Salt Creek case

THE accused Salt Creek backpacker sex predator tried to kill one of his victims and attacked her friend with a hammer before trying to run over her with his car, a court has heard.

In the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Friday, the man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, formally denied attacking the Brazilian and German backpackers at the Coorong in February.

Despite pleading not guilty to seven serious charges, The Advertiser is banned from publishing his identity, or image, under draconian secrecy orders imposed by a magistrate.

The man showed no emotion as he answered the charges - increased from an original four offences - via video link from an undisclosed prison.

The southern suburbs man, 60, will now face a Supreme Court trial over the allegations.

He has denied attempted murder as well as aggravated counts of detaining a person to commit an indictable offence, attempting to cause serious harm to another and committing assault by use of an offensive weapon.

He is further accused of a basic charge of indecent assault, intent to cause harm and endanger life. The offences are all alleged to have occurred on February 9.

SES personnel search the Salt Creek area for clues. Picture: Calum Robertson

Prosecutors allege that he used a knife against one backpacker as he tried to rape her and then attempted to kill her friend with a hammer. He is also accused of driving at, or over, one of the backpackers in his four-wheel-drive.

Under state law, any statutory suppression orders placed on a person charged with a sexual offence automatically lapse upon them formally entering a plea.

But Magistrate Brett Dixon on Friday reimposed a series of orders preventing publication on several aspects of the case despite opposition from The Advertiser and other media outlets.

Prosecutor Sarah Attar, who described the case material as "voluminous", said the suppression orders were in the "interests of the proper administration of justice".

Authorities have previously revealed major case developments in court against the man but those details are also subject to one of the most restrictive suppression orders in recent legal history.

The court has previously heard that extensive material had been recovered from a mobile phone and two laptop computers seized from a man.

The Advertiser revealed the man met his alleged female victims, both aged in their early 20s, on popular trading website Gumtree after they advertised to be driven interstate.

The women, who also cannot be named under state law that protects alleged sex crime victims, posted separate adverts on Gumtree's rideshare service.

The man was remanded in custody until later this month.
    Last edited by blighted star; 03-06-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Stuff from the trial last week.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...3224893d1aa77d

A German backpacker was struck over the head with a hammer and run over by a 4WD after her friend had been sexually assaulted on a remote beach in South Australian, a court has heard.

Earlier that evening, the woman’s friend, a Brazilian backpacker, was allegedly tied up and had her bikini cut off her with a knife by a man who is now on trial in the Supreme Court.

The 60-year-old is charged with attempted murder, kidnapping, indecent assault and other offences over the alleged attack on February 9, 2016. Opening the trial on Thursday, prosecutor James Pearce said the backpackers met the man through classifieds website Gumtree when they sought a lift from Adelaide to Melbourne.

He picked them up and drove them to the isolated beach at Salt Creek in the Coorong National Park, the court heard.

The German woman was taking a nap in the car when the man offered to take the other backpacker for a walk to spot kangaroos.

But he threw the Brazilian woman to the sand and pulled out a knife, the court heard.

He tied her arms behind her back with rope, cut off her bikini and kissed her body all over, the jury heard.

“With the flourish of the knife she was naked, lying on the sand. She was helpless,” Mr Pearce said. “She thought she was going to die. She had to think of a way out.”

In the hope it might save her life, the woman told her attacker they would be more comfortable back at the tent.

But as he led her back to camp she screamed, waking her German friend in the car.

When she got out of the vehicle and saw them, her bound and naked friend told her to flee.

The German woman ran back to the car to get to her phone but the man followed, hitting her several times in the head with a hammer.

With four gashes to her head and blood streaming into her eyes, she ran across the dunes, Mr Pearce said.

But the accused man started the 4WD and chased her down, ramming her with the bull bar several times.

“He mowed her down,” Mr Pearce said. “On one occasion, the car literally ran over her. Fortunately, the wheels went either side of her.”

As she couldn’t outrun him she jumped on the car’s bonnet and climbed on to the roof.

He tried to throw her off, tearing up and down the shrubby dunes, but eventually the car became bogged.

Meanwhile, the Brazilian woman had untied herself and managed to flag down a car of four young fishermen, who called police.

The German woman also fled, stumbling along the beach towards the stunned fishermen.

“Her hair was so drenched with blood that you could’ve wrung it out like a wet towel,” Mr Pearce told the jury of eight men and four women.

Police found the accused man stuck in the dunes and arrested him inside his 4WD. In a brief address to the court, defence counsel Bill Boucaut urged the jury to keep an open mind.

“Sometimes things are not always what they appear to be,” Mr Boucaut said. “The issue will be about whether these things happened the way they say things happened.”

Can't wait to hear the defendant's explanation of "how things really happened".

Today's testimony so far

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/l...3bd28aa2cfaf4c

Salt Creek backpacker trial day 4: Alleged victim and roadhouse owner to give evidence

Sean Fewster, Chief Court Reporter, The Advertiser
    March 16, 2017 8:53am

(Writer has vid of scene at link)

A BRAZILIAN woman has told a court of the moment the Salt Creek accused attacked, bound and sexually assaulted her, comparing the experience to "a horror movie".

The woman, whose identity is suppressed, told a Supreme Court jury she was attacked from behind by the man she had trusted to drive her from Adelaide to Melbourne.

She said that, as he stabbed a knife into the sand and bound her hands and feet with precut lengths of nylon cord, she focused on survival - and escape.

"When you see a movie with a victim, with someone running away, you think "that girl, she must do this, she must run away like this"," she said.

"I was feeling I was in the horror movies ... I needed a strategy to get away ... I was trying to plan a strategy and thought that, if I stayed there, I was going to die.

"I imagined my Mum coming there and seeing my dead body, coming to recognise my body.

"I thought "no, I cannot do this, I'm not going to die today, I came to Australia, I came to live my dream, I'm going to do something and I'm going to get away from here"."

FOLLOW THE TRIAL LIVE

https://twitter.com/SeanFewster

The man, 60, whose identity is suppressed, has pleaded not guilty to one count each of aggravated kidnapping, indecent assault and causing harm with intent to do so.

He has further denied counts of attempted murder, aggravated causing serious harm with intent to do so, endangering life and aggravated assault.

Prosecutors allege that, on February 9 last year, he attacked two backpackers - one Brazilian, the other German - at an isolated spot on the Coorong.

A blood soaked towel from the campsite site.

The duo had travelled to the spot with the man as part of a ride-share to Melbourne that had been arranged online.

Prosecutors allege the Brazilian's clothes were cut from her body with a knife before she was bound and sexually assaulted.

They further allege the German was struck four times in the head with a hammer and repeatedly "mowed down" by the man's vehicle.

On Wednesday, the Brazilian said that she started her 20-day Australian holiday in Adelaide.

While here, she met the German woman who was to join her on the allegedly ill-fated trip to Salt Creek.

Rope found at the scene.

At the suggestion of another friend, the Brazilian advertised for a travel partner on the Gumtree website.

She received several offers, including one from the accused.

She decided to go with someone she had met face-to-face, but that offer fell through due to car troubles.

The woman then contacted the accused, who had offered tents and sleeping bags, and asked him to take her and the German woman.

She said the group arranged to meet at the Mawson Lakes railway station.

"When I saw him, it was a bit weird ... he was a bit older than I was expecting," she said.

"I had been travelling a lot using this app, when I meet people they are maximum 30."

She told the court he was "quiet" when they met and "most of the time really focused on driving".

Upon the group's arrival at Salt Creek, they noticed another four-wheel drive was parked near the gate to the beach.

" I remember (the accused) said "ah, let's keep driving a little bit" and I thought "that's normal, when you go to camp you want a little bit of privacy"," she said.

But when he stopped just a few minutes later, she said, she found that "a bit weird".

"I remember asking him "are we going to camp here"? and he said "yes"," she said.

"I thought "he said no before and now he says yes, is everything okay"?

A 4WD at the scene.

The Brazilian said that, after they made camp, the man went to set up his fishing rods as she changed into her bikini between the tents.

"I was thinking it was a bit weird to be in the middle of nowhere with people who were not really my friends," she said.

"It wasn't exactly what I had planned but it was okay-ish.

"Then (the German) raised a question "don't you think it was a bit weird?".

She said the man returned, and she shared some wine with him, before the German went to sleep and he suggested looking for kangaroos in the sand dunes.

"I said that would be really nice "you come to Australia, you want to see kangaroos," she said.

"(As we looked) he was just, like, normal ... nothing stood out to me ... (his demeanour) was just regular, normal, nothing negative or positive.

"I didn't see any kangaroos so I said "let's go back" ... suddenly, I felt him on my back and he had his arm along my neck.

"I was just saying "no, stop that, it's not cool, it's not fine" but he kept doing it so I couldn't walk."

The Brazilian said she fell onto the sand and the man got on top of her.

"Suddenly, from somewhere, he got a knife and put it in the sand," she said, making a downward stabbing gesture as she spoke.

"He didn't threaten me with the knife or anything but for me, I felt like he was saying " I'm the power, I have a knife" ... I felt genuinely threatened.

"Something was happening, something dangerous (to) my life."

She described the man taking a length of blue nylon rope "from somewhere", saying it was an "exact piece, not the whole rope" and attempting to bind her wrists behind her.

"It looked like he had planned," she said.

A bikini bottom found at the scene.

She said they struggled over the ropes, with her attempting to throw them away or prevent him reaching them, but stopped when he threatened to break her arm.

It was then, she said, she tried to form an escape strategy and "kept talking" to the man, saying he did not "need to do this" while she tried not to "freak out".

She said he used the knife to cut her bikini from her body and began to touch, kiss and lick her body.

"He was around my mouth saying "kiss me back" and I started giving him excuses (saying) "my hands are tied, so sore, I can't kiss you"," she said.

"He started getting really angry with me ... he spat on me, he spat on my face ... he started punching me on my left side, maybe five to 10 times.

"I don't think he wanted to listen to what I was saying so he got the bottom of my bikini and tried to put it in my mouth and tie it (around my head), but he couldn't do it."

She continued to try to reason with the man, eventually suggesting it would be "more pleasurable" if they went back to the tents.

Cable tie found in the sand at the site.

"That was the first time he was interested - he asked "how"?," she said.

The Brazilian said her sole interest was survival, and her strategy was to get them as close as she could to the German - and help.

However, the man used a second piece of nylon to tie one of her ankles, create a hook, and attach it to her other ankle so she could only hobble, not run.

They began to make their way back to camp but, she said, the man appeared to change his mind.

"I started screaming (the German woman's name) because it could be my last opportunity," she said.

"He got really angry and pushed me down into the sand ... he punched me again maybe five times," she said.

"He grabbed some sand and said "if you do that again, you're going to eat sand"."

She said her screams had woken the German who ran from the camp yelling "let her go, let her go".

"He started going toward her direction and, I couldn't see what it was, but he had something in his pants," she said.

"It was the handle of a tool, it was wood, so I yelled "he has a hammer, he has a hammer, run away"."

Gaffer tape found at the site.

As the man and the German faced off, the Brazilian attempted to pass her wrists under her bottom and legs to get free, but could not.

She was able, however, to untie her ankles - but she still could not run in the deep, soft sand as she had no balance without her hands.

Asked whether she saw what transpired between the man and the German, she said she did not, but did see the German woman come towards her, bleeding, and untied her hands, saying, "he hit me".

"It was the exact moment when you're watching a horror movie and the guy is going to follow the girls and they do that stupid thing," she said.

"At that moment we saw him coming with the car, he was inside the car. We thought we need to go in separate directions, otherwise he's going to just come and get both of us."

The Brazilian woman said the pair decided to split up. She headed toward the gate to Salt Creek and hid, "totally naked", in a bush on the dunes.<<snipped>>
    Last edited by blighted star; 03-15-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Cont'd

Drone shot of the Salt Creek campsite. Picture: Rob Brown, Seven News

She told the court a white car drove by and she ran to it and climbed in, screaming: “He tried to kill me, he will kill all of us, let’s go because he will kill us.”

The Brazilian told the court the men in the car gave her a jumper to wear. She insisted they go look for the German woman.

“She was there by herself, she was on the trip because I invited her,” she said.

But there was “no sign” of her or the accused.

As they left Salt Creek, the group encountered a group of off-duty police officers fishing — but the Brazilian woman didn’t trust them.

“I thought, ‘is this the part of the movie where you think you are getting away and then something bad happens?’”

The police officers convinced the rescuers they were legitimate, and the Brazilian was taken back to the Salt Creek roadhouse.

In cross-examination, Bill Boucaut SC, for the man, suggested the Brazilian’s evidence was incorrect.

“I suggest to you that you took your bikini off ... you were strutting around with no clothes on,” he said.

The Brazilian replied: “No, I got naked when he ripped my bikini off with a knife.”

Mr Boucaut suggested events had not unfolded as she had described, saying his client “did no such thing”.

“I suggest there was no knife (and) nothing like that happened ... you had an argument about the cooking and ran off into the sand dunes,” he said.

“I suggest to you that the very last time you saw (the man) was at the camp, and you ran off into the sand dunes without any clothes on.”

The Brazilian said that was incorrect.

“The last time I saw (the accused), he was inside the car, driving toward our direction,” she said.

Salt Creek roadhouse owner Adam Stewart arrives with a supporter to give evidence on Wednesday. Picture: Greg Higgs

Earlier, the owner of the Salt Creek roadhouse told a court he felt a shiver up his spine when he saw footprints and tyre tracks suggesting one of the alleged victims had been chased and run down by a car.

Adam Stewart said he had inspected sand dunes near an isolated camp immediately after the arrest of the alleged kidnapper.

“As a hunter who follows a lot of footprints, I would say they were running,” he told jurors.

“I thought that was pretty heavy. I got a shiver up my spine at that moment.”

“I pictured something in my mind that was not very nice.”

“The footprints were running south. The tyre marks were running alongside them, on top of them or across them.”

Mr Stewart also said he tried to comfort the Brazilian woman, telling her “you’re safe”.

“The first thing I told her was that her friend (the German woman) was safe, she was waiting at the roadhouse, everything’s OK,” Mr Stewart said.

Asked if he had ever seen the accused at Salt Creek before, Mr Stewart said “yes — on two occasions”, 12 to 18 months before the alleged incident.

The trial, before Justice Trish Kelly and a jury of eight men and four women, continues.

Of all the arguments he could've gone with, the defence counsel decides to accuse the victim of a brutal & bloody attack of "strutting around naked"

Bad fucking move

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-1...-devil/8364808

Salt Creek: Brazilian backpacker allegedly attacked found naked and 'hysterical'
    By court reporter Rebecca Opie
    Updated about 5 hours ago

PHOTO: The family said they found the backpacker naked and waving her hands, signalling to them for help. (ABC News: Dean Faulkner)

A Brazilian backpacker found naked and screaming for help at Salt Creek looked like someone who "had seen the devil," the South Australian Supreme Court has heard.

A 60-year-old South Australian man, whose identity has been suppressed, is on trial after pleading not guilty to seven charges, including attempted murder, aggravated kidnapping and indecent assault.

It's alleged he tried to rape the Brazilian woman at a remote beach in Salt Creek in February last year.

It's also alleged he brutally attacked a German woman with a hammer when she came to her friend's aid and later rammed her several times with his four-wheel drive.

The court heard Ali Mohammed, his son Adbul-Karim and 15 of their relatives were staying at Salt Creek on the afternoon that the alleged attack occurred.

Abdul-Karim said he was driving with father and two cousins to a fishing spot on the beach when they found the woman screaming for help.

"My dad told me, 'stop, stop, stop', and I stopped straight away," he said.

"She was standing on top of the hill completely naked, waving her hands."

He told the court the Brazilian woman ran down the hill and jumped into the back of their car.

"She came straight down, you could tell she was in shock, like someone was chasing her, as if there was someone right behind her," he said.

"She was very scared, she just kept telling us 'please, just go, please, he's going to kill us all, he tried to rape me, he tied me up and he's got my friend and he's still out there with her'."

Rescuers 'shocked by what they were seeing'

He said he gave the woman a spare pair of pants that he had in the car and his cousin gave her a jacket.

"She was kind of relieved, and at the same time it was pretty much like she had seen the devil."
    He told the court they were all in shock when they saw her and were not sure what to do next.

"We were all looking at each other like, 'is this for real?'"

His father Ali described the woman as "hysterical" with bruises and scratches on her body and a black eye.

The court heard the family struggled to get signal to call police but managed to get in contact with the owner of the Salt Creek roadhouse, who alerted authorities.

Backpacker insisted family search for her friend

Adbul- Karim said they wanted to take the woman off the beach to safety but she insisted they go back to the campsite to look for her friend.

"She said 'I'm not going to leave my friend, she saved my life'."
    The father and son both told the court they searched the campsite for the German woman, but she was nowhere to be seen.

They said they were apprehensive about staying in the area given what the woman had told them and they later found a blood-soaked towel and a blood-stained baseball cap on the beach.

"We weren't sure what this guy's capable of, if he's got weapons on him or anything," Abdul-Karim said.

The court heard the German woman was found covered head to toe in blood and the man was arrested on the beach.

The backpackers, both now aged 24, have given evidence in the trial, telling the court how they thought they were going to die in the sand dunes.

During Sergeant Christopher Hackett's evidence on Friday, the court heard five unopened condoms and Viagra were found in the back of the man's four-wheel drive.

Sergeant Hackett said he was tasked with examining blood spatters on the man's vehicle and found several hundred blood droplets on the roof the car, as well as stains on the bull bar, doors and windows.

The trial continues.

We're still seeing unprecedented levels of media blackout in this case. He's been found guilty & they're still suppressing his identity (& they're also suppressing the reason they're suppressing his identity)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-2...-creek/8386822

When two women were attacked on a remote South Australian beach, one clung to the roof racks of her assailant's car and only agreed to come down after the man threw away his weapons.

A jury has found a 60-year-old man guilty of six charges in relation to the incident, but not guilty of an attempted murder charge.

The horrific turn of events begun when the backpackers, a Brazilian and a German, were on a remote beach with the man, who had given them a lift.

Here's how two backpackers, who had sought to explore Australia, escaped their attacker and were eventually rescued.

The man, who cannot by identified for legal reasons, lured the Brazilian woman away from camp to look for kangaroos before sexually assaulting her as her friend slept.

What happened at Salt Creek?

For two weeks, South Australia has listened as harrowing details of the kidnapping attack emerged in court.
    The German woke to her friend's screams and was soon attacked herself by the man with a hammer.

She managed to briefly escape him and find her friend in the sand dunes, who was still naked with her hands tied behind her back.

They decided to run in different directions to improve their chances of escaping him.

The court heard the Brazilian woman ran as far as she could and hid in a bush before eventually flagging down a group of fisherman who were driving on the beach.

The man found the German woman running through the sand dunes and hit her multiple times with his four-wheel drive.

Car, hammer used as weapons during frightening attack

The German woman said she did not have the energy to run in the sand and she knew he would just keep knocking her down, so when he drove towards her again she jumped onto the bonnet and climbed onto the roof of the car.

Photos taken by detectives show a large amount of blood on the car's roof, as well as splatters on the bull bar, bumper, doors and windows.

As the German woman stood on the roof with blood from her head wounds dripping down her body, the man tried to hit her feet with the hammer.

The blood-stained roof rack of the Salt Creek four-wheel-drive
    PHOTO: The blood stained roof of the four-wheel-drive driven by the backpackers' attacker. (Supplied)
    The woman told the court the man drove around with her clinging to the roof racks for one to two hours before she agreed to get back inside the car.

She said she only made the decision to get down once he had appeared to calm down and after she had witnessed him throwing the hammer and knife out into the scrub.

In the meantime, the Brazilian woman had been found and a group of fisherman had assembled at the entry to the beach.

The man sped past the group and the German woman yelled for help but she told the court she was unsure if they heard her screams.

The man then backed the car into the sand dunes and stopped.

"He was looking around to the left and to the right as if he wasn't sure what to do," the German backpacker said.

"I said to him I need an ambulance, I need help."

The German woman said the man promised to get her an ambulance, telling her that he "owed it" to her.

"I asked him 'do you feel guilty?' and he said 'yes'."

She said he pleaded with her to stay in the car but she simply said "I'm going now," grabbed her backpack and ran.

The 60-year-old showed no emotion when the verdicts were handed down on Saturday.

He will be sentenced at a later date.

The "not guilty" finding on the attempted murder charge is bizarre when you read the testimony the 2 backpackers gave. The German girl was attacked with a hammer & then deliberately hit from behind with his vehicle several times as she tried to run from him - & her ordeal lasted 1-2hrs. She eventually climbed over the front of the vehicle & onto his roof when she was too exhausted to run from him anymore.

How they came to that decision on the attempted murder charge I'll never understand

(There are also multiple links to trial coverage within the article if you click the link in this post)

Finally

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/l...c62fd8e7c2037b

Salt Creek attack: Roman Heinze can now be identified as the predator who kidnapped and terrorised foreign backpackers
    Sean Fewster, Chief Court Reporter, The Advertiser
    May 11, 2017 3:35pm

THE man who terrorised and assaulted three backpackers, and pursued a dozen more on the internet in an escalating pattern of predatory behaviour, can finally be named.

Roman Heinze, 61, showed no emotion in the Supreme Court on Thursday as The Advertiser successfully applied for his identity to be revealed after more than a year of court-imposed suppression orders.

Those orders ? some of the most draconian in state history ? were no longer needed after prosecutors dropped charges that would have seen Heinze stand trial for a fourth time for alleged sexual offending later this year.

With those charges dropped, it now falls to Justice Trish Kelly to sentence Heinze for his crimes at Salt Creek, as well as the indecent assault of another backpacker in his Hackham home two years before the Coorong attack that horrified the nation.

She will also sentence him for breaching a good behaviour bond over yet another assault upon a woman ? one that was dealt with on its own in the Christies Beach Magistrates Court.

On Thursday, Justice Kelly was told that around that time, Heinze was subject to a bail agreement that specifically banned him from approaching women via the Gumtree website.

Heinze has been found guilty of crimes against three backpackers, each of whom he met through Gumtree.

Heinze has been convicted of a raft of offences including indecent assault, aggravated causing serious harm, and aggravated kidnapping.

The majority of those crimes were committed against backpackers from Brazil and Germany at Salt Creek in February 2016.

Salt Creek campsite during the jury visit.

The man tied and sexually assaulted the Brazilian on the beach, and threatened her with a knife.

When the German tried to intervene, the man struck her four times in the head with a hammer and then repeatedly rammed her with his vehicle.

Those two backpackers on Thursday gave harrowing victim impact statements ? the German said ?you could not break me? while the Brazilian said she remained in terror and had to see her scars every day.

It subsequently emerged the duo were the 14th and 15th backpackers, respectively, that Heinze had targeted via the Gumtree website?s ride-sharing section.

One woman, whose nationality is unknown, was sexually assaulted by Heinze prior to their departure in September 2014.

Roman Heinze is brought to the watch house after his arrest.

In the 2014 case, he had also agreed to drive the young woman interstate. On the day before they were due to leave, Heinze came up behind her and placed a hand over one of her breasts.

He then directed her to a bedroom where he pushed her down on to a bed but the woman fought him off.

Heinze confessed to that offending on the day his trial was due to begin.

A second woman, from Japan, went with him to Salt Creek on an earlier occasion but he ended their trip early when she revealed she had posted photographs of him online.

Bill Boucaut SC, for Heinze, said his client did not accept the jury?s verdicts in the Salt Creek case, and had filed an appeal to have them overturned.

He said that, as a result, he would not be addressing the court about the offending and would speak only about his client?s history.

He said Heinze was born in West Germany and emigrated to Australia, along with his parents and two older brothers, in 1959.

Roman Heinze, 61, showed no emotion in the Supreme Court on Thursday as The Advertiser successfully applied for his identity to be revealed after more than a year of court-imposed suppression orders.

Those orders ? some of the most draconian in state history ? were no longer needed after prosecutors dropped charges that would have seen Heinze stand trial for a fourth time for alleged sexual offending later this year.

With those charges dropped, it now falls to Justice Trish Kelly to sentence Heinze for his crimes at Salt Creek, as well as the indecent assault of another backpacker in his Hackham home two years before the Coorong attack that horrified the nation.

She will also sentence him for breaching a good behaviour bond over yet another assault upon a woman ? one that was dealt with on its own in the Christies Beach Magistrates Court.

On Thursday, Justice Kelly was told that around that time, Heinze was subject to a bail agreement that specifically banned him from approaching women via the Gumtree website.

Heinze has been found guilty of crimes against three backpackers, each of whom he met through Gumtree.

Heinze has been convicted of a raft of offences including indecent assault, aggravated causing serious harm, and aggravated kidnapping.

The majority of those crimes were committed against backpackers from Brazil and Germany at Salt Creek in February 2016.

The man tied and sexually assaulted the Brazilian on the beach, and threatened her with a knife.

When the German tried to intervene, the man struck her four times in the head with a hammer and then repeatedly rammed her with his vehicle.

Those two backpackers on Thursday gave harrowing victim impact statements ? the German said ?you could not break me? while the Brazilian said she remained in terror and had to see her scars every day.

It subsequently emerged the duo were the 14th and 15th backpackers, respectively, that Heinze had targeted via the Gumtree website?s ride-sharing section.

One woman, whose nationality is unknown, was sexually assaulted by Heinze prior to their departure in September 2014.

The chase through Salt Creek (video at link)

In the 2014 case, he had also agreed to drive the young woman interstate. On the day before they were due to leave, Heinze came up behind her and placed a hand over one of her breasts.

He then directed her to a bedroom where he pushed her down on to a bed but the woman fought him off.

Heinze confessed to that offending on the day his trial was due to begin.

A second woman, from Japan, went with him to Salt Creek on an earlier occasion but he ended their trip early when she revealed she had posted photographs of him online.

Bill Boucaut SC, for Heinze, said his client did not accept the jury?s verdicts in the Salt Creek case, and had filed an appeal to have them overturned.

He said that, as a result, he would not be addressing the court about the offending and would speak only about his client?s history.

He said Heinze was born in West Germany and emigrated to Australia, along with his parents and two older brothers, in 1959.

Heinze had lived here ever since, save for a brief period in the 1970s when he accompanied his parents back to Germany

?His eldest brother died in 2014, his father still lives and his mother died in 1990,? he said.

?His father?s health is not good, he has a heart condition ? he worked as a musician, and my client gave up work to become a carer for his father in 2013.?

Mr Boucaut said Heinze was a qualified chef and father of five, who had married and divorced twice prior to 2012.

He said his client?s eldest children continued to visit him in prison while he ?maintained contact? with the other three.

Jim Pearce QC, prosecuting, said Heinze faced a maximum of 25 years? jail for some of his offences.

He said the Salt Creek crimes breached Heinze?s existing good behaviour bond over the Christies Beach Magistrates Court assault case.

The Advertiser understands that offence also involved a foreign backpacker and had a sexual element.

Mr Pearce said there were ?alarming similarities? between that offence ? the date of which he did not disclose ? and the crimes for which he is to be sentenced.

?That offending represents an escalation of the offending conduct he demonstrated (prior to those crimes),? he said.

Police evidence photos showing the splatter of blood on Heinze?s 4WD

?It also demonstrates a deviant and concerning interest in issues such as rape ... and a sexualised interest in young female travellers.

?It also demonstrates a complete disinclination to learn from his mistakes.?

He urged the court to order Heinze serve cumulative sentences, not concurrent ones, for his crimes against each of the women at Salt Creek.

The only fitting penalty, he said, was a lengthy prison sentence.

?There?s no question of any remorse or contrition being demonstrated here ... (sentencing) becomes a real issue about protection of the public,? he said.

?It?s said that some people are either mad, bad or sad, or some combination thereof ? but here, there?s no prospect for rehabilitation.

?What I?m driving at is eventually he?ll be released ? that?s inevitable ? but in the meantime the public will gain some protection by his incarceration.?

Justice Kelly will sentence Heinze next week.

Photo gallery :

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...cd0a7b?page=11

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/l...17b864378769c9

HE was a twice-married father of five who, still grieving the deaths of his mother and eldest brother, gave up his career as a chef to care for his ailing father.

He was a keen fisherman who loved the outdoors, enjoyed a barbecue and when asked, described himself as a down-to-earth, ?very easygoing guy?.

But fit, muscular Roman Heinze, standing 198cm (6 feet, 6 inches) tall, led a dark, sadistic double life ? a man whose identity was cloaked in secrecy until Thursday.

Beneath the veneer of respectability was a dangerous predator with an eye for young foreign women ? and an appetite for violent and perverse sex.

For the first time, The Advertiser can reveal the personal history of the man who, for so long, has been known only as the Salt Creek kidnapper.

Heinze?s elderly dad broke his silence on Thursday night, telling The Advertiser that he was not coping with the attention over his son.

?I?m 87 years old and this is the worst day of my life,? he said from his home in Adelaide?s south.

Longstanding suppression orders ? some of the most draconian in South Australian legal history ? were finally lifted in the Supreme Court.

They were revoked after prosecutors chose not to pursue Heinze for a fourth set of alleged ?sexual offending?, which had been slated for a trial in September.

With Heinze unmasked, it led to another alarming revelation ? that he was, at the time of his perverted crimes, in breach of a good behaviour bond for having assaulted yet another foreign backpacker.

The court heard of more shocking allegations that were eventually dropped, but carried a bail condition banning him from contacting women through the Gumtree website.

It was a condition, prosecutors said, Heinze did not obey. Instead, driven by sexual motives, he contacted a total of 15 women from all around the world.

That several of those women were tricked into thinking Heinze, 61, was safe to travel with is unsurprising, given how the predator presented himself online.

?I am a 198cm, six foot six inches athletic build ? very fit, like most sports (including) fishing, swimming, snorkelling (and) diving,? he wrote in one profile.

?I like camping, barbecues, dining out ... (I?m a) very easygoing guy, down to earth, friendly, respect other people and other cultures.?

Bill Boucaut SC, for Heinze, laid out his client?s background for the court.

He said Heinze was born in West Germany and emigrated to Australia in 1959 with his parents and two older brothers.

Heinze had lived here ever since, he said, save for a brief period in the 1970s when he *accompanied his parents to Germany

?His eldest brother died in 2014, his father still lives and his mother died in 1990,? he said.

?His father?s health is not good, he has a heart condition ? he worked as a musician, and my client gave up work to become a carer for his father in 2013.?

Mr Boucaut said Heinze was a qualified chef and father of five, who had married and divorced twice before 2012.

He said his client?s eldest children continued to visit him in prison while he ?maintained contact? with the other three.

Such a benign description stands vastly at odds with the horror of Heinze?s offending.

He will be sentenced next week for crimes against three backpackers, each of whom he met through Gumtree.

Heinze was convicted at trial of a raft of offences, including indecent assault, aggravated causing serious harm and aggravated kidnapping.

Those crimes were committed against backpackers from Brazil and Germany at Salt Creek in February 2016.

Roman Heinze loved the outdoors and described himself as a very easygoing guy.

Heinze tied and sexually assaulted the Brazilian woman on the beach and threatened her with a knife.

When the German woman tried to intervene, he struck her four times in the head with a hammer and then repeatedly rammed her with his vehicle.

Heinze has also pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting another backpacker, whose nationality is unknown, in Hackham in September 2014 ? before their departure on a planned trip.

On Thursday Mr Boucaut said his client and that backpacker had spent four days together ? due to ?car trouble? and a family illness ? before the offence occurred.

?It culminated following an approach by Heinze as he was sitting on a couch near to (the woman) and put his hand on her thigh while talking.?

?He did not see that his attention was unwelcome, she did nothing at that stage that gave him a hint that it was unwelcome,? he said.

He said that, when the woman got up to charge her phone, Heinze approached her from behind, put an arm around her and touched her breast ?over her clothes?.

He then steered her towards the bedroom by the shoulder and pushed her onto his bed.

?She pushed him away with her legs and feet and kicked at him,? Mr Boucaut said.

?She screamed a couple of times ?what are you doing, everyone knows I?m here? and he then desisted saying ?I?m sorry, I don?t know what?s happened?.?

Mr Boucaut said Heinze left the room and the woman left the house.

Two more sets of offending ? both sexual, one involving his former girlfriend ? were also alleged.

One of those cases was dropped on Thursday while the other resulted in an acquittal.

But it didn?t represent the extent of Heinze?s offending.

His crimes at Salt Creek breached a good behaviour bond, imposed by Magistrate Jayne Basheer at Christies Beach Magistrates Court, for one basic count of assault.

That offence occurred at Goodwood in December 2014 ? just three months after the Hackham crime. The Advertiser understands it involved yet another foreign backpacker.

Heinze?s litany of crimes attract maximum penalties ranging from just four years, for aggravated assault, to 25 years for aggravated kidnapping and causing serious harm. Whatever sentence she imposes, Justice Trish Kelly will unarguably be removing a dangerous and disturbing predator from the community.

<<snipped>>

He was sentenced to 22 years, non parole period of 17 years and unable to hold a licence for a car for ten years after he gets out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-1...tenced/8532256

The man convicted over a brutal assault on two young backpackers at Salt Creek has been sentenced to 22 years and four months in jail.

Roman Heinze was found guilty in South Australia's Supreme Court of six offences over the attack in February last year, including aggravated kidnapping, causing harm with intent to cause harm, assault, endangering life and indecent assault.

Heinze was also convicted of indecently assaulting another young woman about two years before the Salt Creek attack.

The identity of the 61-year-old from Morphett Vale in Adelaide's south was only revealed recently due to court suppression orders.

The Supreme Court set a non-parole-period of 17 years.

Justice Trish Kelly said Heinze had "anger management issues".
    Heinze was also disqualified from holding a driver's licence for at least 10 years, starting from his release from prison

Thread Information