Thread: Daniel Smith (23) Burns to death after his tent is set on fire 'by kids'

Daniel Smith (23) Burns to death after his tent is set on fire 'by kids'

-Daniel Smith's body was discovered at 1.20am on Wednesday
    -He suffered burns and injuries in a tent near Salford Central Station
    -Blood splatters are believed to have been found in the tent
    -Police think he had been attacked before the fire was started deliberately
    -Detectives fail to rule out that children are responsible for the blaze

Detectives have launched a murder inquiry after a 23-year-old homeless man was found in a burning tent under a railway arch in Manchester.
    Daniel Smith was discovered when fire crews were called to the blaze at 1.20am on Wednesday, close to Salford Central Station, near Manchester city centre.

Mr Smith, who is originally from Ashton-under-Lyne but had been homeless for some time, died from multiple injuries to the head and body.
    It is understood that blood splatters were found in the tent and police believe he had been attacked before the fire was started deliberately.
    Detectives have also failed to rule out that the attackers were children after fellow rough sleepers claimed youngsters were to blame. It is thought the fire could have been a prank gone wrong.

One homeless man David Palmer said he thought Mr Smith had been attacked before being set alight.
    In an interview with the BBC, he said: 'I heard that kids beat him up and set him on fire. I was going to go there last night [Tuesday evening], it could have been me.'

Det Ch Insp Chris Walker, from Greater Manchester Police, said officers had been yet to verify Mr Palmer's claims and that they were 'investigating all possibilities'.
    Two crews from Manchester Central station were called to the fire and when they arrived they extinguished the burning tent and discovered Mr Smith inside.
    Alex Lewis, 20, who is also homeless has slept under the arches.

In an interview with The Independent he said: 'I've stayed there a few times. It's grim, but it's out of the way and seemed to be safe, but I wouldn't go there again. It's horrible to think this has happened.
    'I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I don't know how whoever did this can think they can get away with it.'

Another homeless man, a 29-year-old former soldier who asked not to be named, said he had been sleeping near where Mr Smith had died, but had left the area shortly before it happened.
    He added people had rushed to help Mr Smith and that he now wanted to leave the area after the fire.

Chief Supt Mary Doyle, head of Salford Police, said: 'Our inquiries over the past 24 hours have found that this man suffered a number of injuries before his body was discovered in the early hours of Wednesday in a tent following a fire.
    'We have been carrying out a joint investigation with the fire service to establish the cause of this fire which is now being treated as a deliberate ignition.

'We believe the answers to our questions about what happened to this man lie in the community, particularly other members of the homeless community who may have been nearby at the time.
    'Someone must have seen or heard something so we are appealing to anyone with even the smallest bit of information to come and tell us what they know.
    'Our thoughts are with Daniel's family and friends at this terrible time. We are determined to find out who is responsible and bring them to justice.'

Chief Supt Doyle said it is believed Mr Smith had been homeless for a number of years.
    His tent was found in an archway close to the derelict Riverside building where a number of other homeless people had been staying.
    In the wake of the tragedy emergency crews have been carrying out a detailed search of the area and action has been taken to seal a nearby building that was being used by the homeless as shelter.

A fire investigation team has been at the scene trying to establish the cause of the blaze.
    Campaigners have urged for more support for Manchester's rough sleepers - with new figures showing there are around 70 homeless people in the city each night ? believed to be the highest figure outside the capital.

The figure is nearly double last year's figure of 43 and ten times the number in 2010
    Forty extra beds were created by Manchester City Council in September - with plans underway to set up a 'homeless charter' supported by the police, charities, doctors and the Bishop of Manchester, the Right Reverend Dr David Walker.
    Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3y0nMq3Ax
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I can't even. I just can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I lived in Salford for a while.
    Rough as guts place.
    Kids were right horrible little bastard.

The fire was believed to be a prank gone wrong? Yeah, ok. He was beaten first, no way that can be considered a "prank gone wrong"!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

which part was the prank? the beating, the setting on fire? WTF
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

It wasn't a prank. I hope they catch these little fuckers.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Might not have been little fuckers. Might've been one big fucker.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone spreading the kid story & talking to media had a fight with him & set the tent on fire afterwards, hoping to destroy the evidence they were involved.

On the other hand it won't surprise me either if it was kids. I remember streetkids being brutal with older homeless guys, it's like they hate them because they see in them a future they fear will be their own, so they attack it.
    Last edited by blighted star; 01-23-2016 at 12:56 AM.

So a homeless guy is beaten and set on fire and then they do this...
    "and action has been taken to seal a nearby building that was being used by the homeless as shelter."
    Cause that makes sense.

The news says that 2 MEN (aged 24) have been arrested.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/upda...-burning-tent/

RIP Daniel

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This is so sad.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Just fucking why?? Who was this man hurting?? I've completely lost all faith in humanity this week. All of it. Gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Defy Gravity View Post
    So a homeless guy is beaten and set on fire and then they do this...
    "and action has been taken to seal a nearby building that was being used by the homeless as shelter."
    Cause that makes sense.
    Right? Let's blame the homeless now. They obviously asked for it.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

GOOD! Thanks RBW.

I'm still pissed they were billed as 'kids'.

When we see how many fucking actual kids get called 'adults' when it suits? PISS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Ugh I hate people.

Thread Information