Thread: Katelin Akens - missing since 5 December 2015. Possible serial killer link?

Katelin Akens - missing since 5 December 2015. Possible serial killer link?

https://www.facebook.com/katelin.moore.5

Luggage belonging to Katelin Akens, a 19-year-old woman who disappeared en route to a Virginia airport, has been found in a Spotsylvania County drainage ditch. The discovery was made one day after another young woman turned up dead, heightening concerns for Akens' safety.
    "The circumstances surrounding this case are suspicious enough to warrant our full investigative efforts, in attempting to locate Miss Akens," Spotsylvania County Sheriff Roger L. Harris said in a statement to WSUA News.
    According to the sheriff's office, a family member was taking Akens to the Ronald Reagan National Airport on Saturday when the teen asked to be dropped off at the Springfield Mall. She reportedly planned to take the Franconia-Springfield metro from the mall to the airport.
    For reasons unclear, Akens never boarded her flight from Virginia to Arizona, where she was to attend cosmetology school. Investigators are still trying to determine if she made it to the metro or to the airport.
    The first big break in the case came on Monday when authorities discovered Akens' luggage discarded in a drainage ditch in Spotsylvania County near the Fredericksburg city limit. The teen's wallet, identification, credit cards and plane ticket were reportedly among the items found in the luggage.
    "It's scary," Akens' mother, Lisa Sullivan, told WRIC News. "You don?t know what to think. Where is she?"
    The discovery of Akens' suitcase came a day after police found the body of 21-year-old Heather Ciccone slumped over the steering wheel of a vehicle parked outside a Spotsylvania residence. The Free Lance-Star reported Ciccone died as a result of a gunshot wound to the head. Detectives have yet to name a suspect or person of interest.
    As of Tuesday, there is no indication Ciccone's death is connected to Akens' disappearance. However, both cases have area residents on edge.
    "It sounds as if there may be yet another serial killer in Spotsylvania County," one local posted on Facebook Tuesday.
    The post was likely a reference to Richard Marc Evonitz. A career criminal, Evonitz committed suicide in 2002, after police sought him out for questioning in connection with a number of crimes, including the deaths of three girls in Spotsylvania County.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/ent...tion=australia

Here's Heather's FB - I will make an article soon

https://www.facebook.com/heather.ciccone.3

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    There has been a FB group started for Katelin:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1642...318/?ref=br_rs

Apparently some in the family on the FB Find Katelin page are suspicious of her ex-stepfather at this point:

Amber told me that when Katelin told her that her step-father James was going to be the one taking her to the airport, because of his history with Katelin she felt concerned and she REALLY didn't want him to be the one to take her. So, she told Katelin that she could ask one of her family members who live nearby to take her to the airport instead. Katelin then told her that someone else (a trusted family friend) was going to be taking her.... but for some reason, that never happened. Her mom dropped her off at James's house in Partlow so he could take her

well katelins relationship with james (her ex step-dad) isnt very good, from what katelins told me is that he was abusive. And its not unusual for katelins mom to ask favors of him but katelin does not like being around him and i dont like him around her. And he was supost to be taking katelin to the airport not the metro/mall, whichever the one he says he took her to

Correction...those comments were posted by Katelin's girlfriend.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Yeah...the fact that all her stuff was found in a drainage ditch doesn't bode well
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

The search for Katelin Akens has produced some new leads, but authorities in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, are not clarifying on what those leads are. WUSA 9 News reports that evidence has been obtained from luggage belonging to the woman, which was found abandoned in a drainage ditch. What happened to this missing woman, and are authorities close to finding her?

When Katelin Akens was last seen, she was being dropped off by her stepfather at a Metro station, where she was supposed to travel to the airport to catch a flight to Arizona. However, she never made that flight, and hasn’t been seen or heard from since her stepfather reportedly dropped her off. A text was reportedly sent from her phone after she was dropped off, indicating that she was at the airport to board her flight. However, it’s not known if she is actually the person to send the text, or if someone else sent it from her phone. Currently, investigators are working on finding where the text was sent from, geographically, to determine whether or not it is evidence behind what happened to her. The fact that the missing woman’s stepfather was last to see and talk to her has sparked some speculation on social media and crime case forums like Websleuths. However, authorities have confirmed that Katelin Akens’ stepfather is not a person of interest or a suspect in her disappearance. Furthermore, authorities have stated that surveillance footage obtained from cameras in the area where she was dropped off has corroborated with the statements given by her stepfather. More speculation surrounding the disappearance of Katelin Akens surrounds the murder of Spotsylvania woman Heather Ciccone, who was found shot dead in her own car on Monday morning.
    PLEASE SHARE THIS POST! This young lady, Katelin Akens is a cousin of mine. Due to her being raised out of state, I have…
    Posted by Jule Gallion on Wednesday, December 9, 2015
    The Huffington Post reports that locals in the area are on edge, with some people commenting that there may be a serial killer in the area, preying on young pretty women. The suspicious circumstances and timeline of the two cases have led some people to speculate that they could be related. However, authorities have confirmed through multiple reports that the disappearance of Katelin Akens and the murder of Heather Ciccone are in no way connected to one another.image: http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/...logos/logo.png
    The Inquisitr
    TWEET

image: http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/.../2015/12/a.jpg
    NEWS
    KATELIN AKENS UPDATE: EVIDENCE FOUND IN MISSING WOMAN’S LUGGAGE

DECEMBER 9, 2015
    Chelsea Hoffman
    The search for Katelin Akens has produced some new leads, but authorities in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, are not clarifying on what those leads are. WUSA 9 News reports that evidence has been obtained from luggage belonging to the woman, which was found abandoned in a drainage ditch. What happened to this missing woman, and are authorities close to finding her?

When Katelin Akens was last seen, she was being dropped off by her stepfather at a Metro station, where she was supposed to travel to the airport to catch a flight to Arizona. However, she never made that flight, and hasn’t been seen or heard from since her stepfather reportedly dropped her off. A text was reportedly sent from her phone after she was dropped off, indicating that she was at the airport to board her flight. However, it’s not known if she is actually the person to send the text, or if someone else sent it from her phone. Currently, investigators are working on finding where the text was sent from, geographically, to determine whether or not it is evidence behind what happened to her.

The fact that the missing woman’s stepfather was last to see and talk to her has sparked some speculation on social media and crime case forums like Websleuths. However, authorities have confirmed that Katelin Akens’ stepfather is not a person of interest or a suspect in her disappearance. Furthermore, authorities have stated that surveillance footage obtained from cameras in the area where she was dropped off has corroborated with the statements given by her stepfather. More speculation surrounding the disappearance of Katelin Akens surrounds the murder of Spotsylvania woman Heather Ciccone, who was found shot dead in her own car on Monday morning.

PLEASE SHARE THIS POST! This young lady, Katelin Akens is a cousin of mine. Due to her being raised out of state, I have…

Posted by Jule Gallion on Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Huffington Post reports that locals in the area are on edge, with some people commenting that there may be a serial killer in the area, preying on young pretty women. The suspicious circumstances and timeline of the two cases have led some people to speculate that they could be related. However, authorities have confirmed through multiple reports that the disappearance of Katelin Akens and the murder of Heather Ciccone are in no way connected to one another.

Even though authorities have declared no known connections between Katelin’s and Heather’s cases, residents do have reason to be uneasy. The area has been home to at least one serial killer, including Richard Marc Evonitz, who was accused of killing three different girls in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. The man eventually committed suicide in 2002. The state of Virginia is no stranger to serial killer activity, in general, with such notorious names as the Briley Brothers, Timothy Wilson Spencer, and the elusive Colonial Parkway Killer on the list. However, none of these examples mean, in any way, that either of these Virginia girls are victims of a career predator.

Katelin Akens is 19-years-old, standing at 5’4″ and about 129 lbs. She has blonde hair, blue eyes and multiple tattoos. If you know anything about this missing woman’s disappearance, you are encouraged to call the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office. As for the evidence reportedly found in her luggage, authorities are not clarifying on what was found, nor are they sharing any information about the leads they are currently investigating.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2621753/kat...xtuvTp1BVUw.99

Apparently Katelin was in he same county as Heather Ciccone who was found shot.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ion-is-ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Correction...those comments were posted by Katelin's girlfriend.
    I wonder if the stepdaddy's phone pinged near Fredericksburg. http://patch.com/virginia/kingstowne...e-video-police

On Monday, authorities found luggage belonging to Akens strewn in a drainage ditch just outside Fredericksburg.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000309196149

Sorry I can't cut and paste right now. Its a post from her gf basically saying she found something out about Katelin that changes things and she is moving on.

SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — There have been new developments in the case of 19-year-old Katelin Akens, who went missing out of Spotsylvania last weekend.
    Lisa Sullivan, Katelin’s mother, says she dropped her daughter off at her stepdad’s home in Spotsylvania County on Saturday so he could take her to the airport to catch a flight to Arizona. Sullivan said the teen’s stepdad told her that Akens decided she wanted to go to Springfield Town Center first. She then planned to take the Franconia-Springfield metro to Reagan National Airport.
    According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day, though there is no surveillance video of Katelin or her stepdad at Springfield Town Center. Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin. He would not elaborate on how investigators confirmed the car was there.
    Right now, police cannot confirm whether Katelin was at the mall or if she even left Spotsylvania. Authorities have also not yet said that the stepfather himself was at the mall, just that his car was in the area.
    Akens’ stepfather is still being interviewed by police. He has not been called a suspect or person of interest in the case.
    On Monday, Akens’ luggage was discovered abandoned in a drainage ditch on River Road in Spotsylvania County near the Fredericksburg city limit.
    “Her phone charger, her wallet, it still had her ID, her credit cards, cash, her old glasses and her old plane ticket,” said Katelin’s sister, Gabrielle Akens.
    Akens’ family tells 8News that her cell phone goes straight to voice mail when they call it.
    “It’s very unusual. She texts me millions of times a day, calls us. It’s unusual for her not to text us,” said Gabrielle Akens.
    Captain Pearce calls her disappearance suspicious.
    “We’re dealing with this as a missing person right now, but again, suspicious circumstances. We are giving it 100 percent of our investigative effort.”
    Anyone with information that can help detectives in this case is asked to called the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office at 540-582-7115.
    They can also call Spotyslvania Crime Solvers at 1-800-928-5822 or 1-540-582-5822 or text a tip by sending SEE911 to CRIMES (274637).
    Stay with 8News for updates on this.http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-devel...-spotsylvania/

Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by frank benny View Post
    Any updates?
    Not according to Find Katelin page unfortunately.

I never heard them reveal where the text was sent from.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lin-Akens.html

Sullivan said Akens then planned to take the Franconia-Springfield metro to the airport, and had texted her later that day saying she had arrived at Reagan International.

Investigators are reviewing surveillance video from outside the mall and authorities have subpoenaed records from her cell provider to determine where her last text was sent from.

It looks like the dump site was off the highway on a direct path back to where she started.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...VWPd0&hl=en_US

For my weekly Disappeared episode update, this week is was Katelin's turn. Her stepfather is SOOOOOOOO shady.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    For my weekly Disappeared episode update, this week is was Katelin's turn. Her stepfather is SOOOOOOOO shady.

Damn, they've already pulled the video due to copyright stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PugLove65 View Post
    Damn, they've already pulled the video due to copyright stuff.
    Still works for me. May be a country viewing issue.

Does this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Her stepfather is SOOOOOOOO shady.
    Just watched this. and yes! I think the cheating and her not wanting to go back home and her going missing are 2 completely different things. If nothing happened where she cheated, I think her stepdad still would have killed her...err I mean, she would still be missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Katelin is still missing, just bumping to update

https://www.wusa9.com/article/featur...b-9d4b02651eef

A billboard gives one mother hope at convincing stepdad to help find missing daughter

Detectives searching for Katelin Akens, 19, say her stepdad stopped cooperating years ago. Could a billboard convince him to help find her?

Author: Bruce Leshan
    Published: 8:22 PM EDT March 17, 2021
    Updated: 10:02 PM EDT March 17, 2021

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. ? It's a tactic straight out of the Oscar-winning 2017 movie "Three Billboard Outside Ebbing, Missouri."

The Aware Foundation for missing people is installing a billboard on James Branton's route to work, hoping to embarrass him into cooperating with investigators trying to figure out what happened to his step-daughter, Katelin Akens, 19.

Akens disappeared on Dec. 5, 2015. Her mother had dropped her off at Branton's home, and he said he'd drive her to Washington-Reagan National Airport, 80 miles north, for a flight home to her fianc?' in Arizona. But Akens never got on the plane. And no one detectives have found, has seen her since.

Akens' mother, Lisa Sullivan, said even if they could just find her daughter's body, it would offer a small measure of comfort.

"At least I'd know she was dead. I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. 'Where is she?' Not knowing is the worst," she said.

Akens flew home to Virginia just after Thanksgiving in 2015 to see her newborn nephew. He's five now. "'When are we going to find her, he asks," said Sullivan. "And it's hard to tell a five-year-old."

Branton texted Sullivan the day Akens disappeared that he dropped her at the Springfield Metro Station, so she could take the Metro to Reagan from there.

Just before 2 p.m., someone texted from Akens' phone that "I'm at the airport. The battery dying ... so won't be able to text for a bit. "And that's 2 o'clock and I can tell you her phone was never there at 2 o'clock," said Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office Det. Sharon Williams, in an interview in 2018. "Her phone was in Fredericksburg, it was in Spotsy. And it never went farther north than Stafford," said Det. Willams.

At 7:15 that night, Katelin, or someone on her phone, texted her mother: "I'm staying with a friend. I need some time alone"

"Call me," her mother wrote. "I am very worried about you. Please call me."

Two days later, a highway worker found her suitcase tossed in a ditch, her wallet and ID inside.

"I just want her back. We all miss her," said Sullivan.

Detectives said Branton stopped cooperating years ago. He did not return our phone calls either.

So now The Aware Foundation is putting up the billboard on Rt. 301 between his home and his work. "Seeing her face up there, I'm hoping he sees it. And has to think about that every day," said Sullivan.

It's rare for authorities to bring murder charges without a body, and Det. Williams said they still don't even have solid evidence even of a crime.

But investigators are still working this case hard, and they're hoping the new billboard helps break it.

If you have any information at all, you can call the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office at 540.582.7115, or Spotsylvania County Crimesolvers at 800.928.5822 and remain anonymous.

I just listened to the Crime Junkie podcast about this case and I think it was the ex-step-father in his house with his bare hands. The guy is so sus. I bet he tried to rape her, she resisted, he killed her, dismembered her body, and spread the parts across several counties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I just listened to the Crime Junkie podcast about this case and I think it was the ex-step-father in his house with his bare hands. The guy is so sus. I bet he tried to rape her, she resisted, he killed her, dismembered her body, and spread the parts across several counties.
    Why isnt he a suspect? He was the last person with her.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Why isnt he a suspect? He was the last person with her.
    He isn't? I would assume he's a suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

The have about the same odds of him coming forward and confessing as they have with Kyron Horman's stepmom coming forward.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Thread Information