Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiahleigh Palmer (12) Body found beside Gold Coast's Pimpama River

She was naked when found. I found some articles that still say it, but most have been scrubbed of the reference.

http://www.humanheadline.com.au/hinc...ing-suspicions

The grieving grandmother was trying to come to grips with the news that a naked body found on the banks of the Pimpama River on Queensland’s northern Gold Coast was that of 12-year-old Tiahleigh Palmer who vanished on her way to school on October 30.

Her grandma, Sue Palmer, said:

‘I don’t think the world’ s fair … and I’m tired of this world’. The second bit came after an agonisingly long pause.

Even though she admitted she suspected the worst, knew the worst had happened, it was still difficult to comprehend.

The discovery of Tiahleigh’s body came at the same time as another brutal crime, with a Pimpama, Queensland connection, shocked people in Victoria.

Four men allegedly abducted a14-year-old girl from a Geelong park, after assaulting her 16-year-old male companion who went for help. They took her to a house and gang-raped her.

http://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/ti...camer/2834214/

Tiah's naked body was found by fishermen on a remote stretch of riverbank on the Gold Coast.

Her school uniform and backpack have not yet been found

Yeah, it ran in the first articles, before she was identified "naked female, 12-18, distinctive jewellery, dark hair".

They stopped running the parts about missing clothes & jewellery for a while after she was identified but even the ABC are running it again now.

Even if she did have clothes with her it wouldn't meen she was planning to run - she'd been trying to find a friend who'd let her sleep over that night. If she really wanted to avoid home, it makes sense she'd bring a change of clothes so she didn't have to go home to pick it up after school - but her bag hasn't been found so she may not have had a second set at all.

It looks like people are getting angry enough to demand these bullshit privacy rules are fixed. They're supposed to protect kids in foster care but they've pretty much made them sitting ducks. If every child predator hadn't figured that out after William Tyrrell, they willnow after Tiahleigh.

It's almost like a child predator helped write them ...

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/brett-ocon...08-1mh5zg.html

The Guardian are usually pretty thorough, I'm surprised the writer didn't dig a little further & realise police had their hands tied by child protection laws, but other than that this article's pretty much spot on

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...P=share_btn_tw

For Six Days Tialeigh Palmer's Family Waited For Police To Act. Not All Victim's Are Equal

When we talk about violence against women, not all victims are equal. That?s the reality, whether feminists on the left want to admit it or conservatives on the right understand it. How women are treated when they seek assistance matters. We can cheer high-profile media ladies who put violence against women in a fabulous dress but, unless we drill down, little will change for women who won?t ever grace the inside of a glossy magazine.

They may well see the inside of a police station though. Standing over the counter desperately trying to get someone, anyone, to take their concerns seriously. They might have a ?troubled past?, a warrant out for their arrest, a drug problem, a long history of child protection involvement, stints in prison, a mental illness.

Police investigating death of Tialeigh Palmer, 12, to visit her Gold Coast school

They might be difficult to deal with. They might have made complaints to police before and be well known to them. They might have to stand at that counter asking for help, loudly, more than once, saying the same thing over and over. They might get action if they push hard enough, appear desperate enough, play nice with the sergeant on duty or have someone with them, worth police taking seriously, who can advocate with them.

Cynical about my cynicism? Tiahleigh Palmer was 12 years old. She was missing. She had a troubled history. Her mother had a troubled history. For six days her loved ones waited for QLD police to make an appeal for information about her whereabouts public. six whole days and six whole nights.

A 12-year-old child is missing and police wait for six days to ask if anyone might have seen her. If this is standard police practice for missing kids then we?re in some trouble.

The police defended the delay, stating in a media conference that they considered her to be a ?runaway? and that they spent the time interviewing witnesses and reviewing CCTV footage. Her foster carer told the Daily Mail that, ?She?d been running away a lot more frequently this year and I don?t know why.?

Police didn?t wait 6 days to seek public assistance on Daniel Morcombe. They didn?t wait six days for Jill Meagher. They didn?t wait 6 days for Allison Baden-Clay. And rightly so; somebody had to know where they were and the public wanted accountability.

So is it standard police procedure to wait? I suspect, in a way, it is ? the wink wink, tap the side of your nose kind of ?standard procedure? for kids and their carers who create work for the system.

Who are these kids? The vulnerable ones. Poor kids. Naughty kids. Mouthy kids. Kids and carers who have been hardened by the system, and become skeptical of adults and professionals who are supposed to wrap those kids up in a blanket of protection.

And especially the brown kids. How else to explain that Indigenous kids are 5% of 10 to 17-year-olds, but 59% of those in detention?

Police suspect that Tiahleigh, when they eventually found her 12 year old body on the bank of a river half an hour from her high school, had been waiting to be found for at least six days. Six days, waiting for those tasked with the job of finding her to care enough to ask some basic questions of the public.

Waiting for someone to take her mother seriously. Waiting for someone in a position to do something to worry if she was cold, hungry, alone, in danger or dead.

If young Tiahleigh had come from a good suburb in Brisbane, from a good white family and a good private school, the police wouldn?t have wait six days to appeal to the public for information. They would have acted swiftly because 12 year old little girls who live in that world get police attention. Whoever is responsible for Tiahleigh?s death got a good six day head start on the public, asked to cast their minds back to the day she disappeared.

We need to come to grips with these unspoken categories and hierarchies of complainant if we are to really impact the supports and systems we ask victims to engage in. Because if they can?t be taken seriously by the only system they can turn to for help, what is the point? It?s just another system telling them they don?t really matter.

I cried reading that article, how true sadly, and it shouldn't be that way. This really sucked, SHE WAS 12! My niece is 12, I cant even imagine. She was a little girl, totally irrelevant to the story but she was pretty, had plans, dreams, aspirations and she totally deserved to live to see them. Why has the child protection lot got the power to screw over these kids? Why cant they actually help these women and children out? Why didn't the alarm go out before she was found?

Skin colour or foster child status should not be a factor in any missing child case, they should all be publicised and all efforts to find them should be done. I cant even, just because she was born without privilege; the privilege of a stable family, the privilege of being the right colour, the privilege of the right suburb.

I know, it's so SO wrong & it's going to keep happening if they don't fix this

Re the second girl that was mentioned in fb comments, I should probably make it clear that I don't think she ever had anything to do with Tialeigh. Police have NEVER mentioned a second girl in relation to Tialeigh at all & there's been no alert for another local girl.

Personally, I think someone either deliberately started the rumour as a misdirection, or people just assumed they were connected because they "heard" another girl took off & (according to the rumours) she goes to the same school as Tia. It's not like I'm never wrong though, so we'll see, I guess.

Also, I didn't realise this page was set up by people who actually knew Tia. If it's family members I won't be surprised to see the Morcombes help them make something more of this, because Bruce Morcombe was already very critical of NSW DOCs over their (ongoing) handling/obstruction of the investigation into William Tyrrell's abduction

http://m.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/ne...-1227600954705

DISTRAUGHT family and friends of murdered schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer have created their own missing persons Facebook page for public information after it took police six days to send out an alert on her disappearance.

Missing Children Australia: Tiahleigh Alert Page was formed on Saturday as a new platform for people to raise their own alerts when somebody they know goes missing.

Tiahleigh was last seen about 8.10am on October 30 when she was dropped at school but it wasn?t until last Thursday that police notified media outlets of her disappearance.

A badly decomposed body found on the banks of the Pimpama River that same Thursday was later identified as Tiahleigh and could have been dumped there a week earlier.

The page was described in a post as a platform where ?background, family life is never as important as finding the person?.

Tiahleigh?s foster sister said people disregarded the importance of the 12-year-old?s disappearance because she had run off before.

?We feel that had this been made more public more quickly, someone may have seen her and prevented this from happening,? she said.

?We found that on all the posts about her being missing that people disregarded the importance because she ran off before. So we want parents and carers to be able to publicly share that their child has gone missing, even if it is only for an hour.

?As we?ve just learnt, every second is crucial.?

Detective Superintendent Dave Hutchinson said police had been conducting a number of inquiries in the time Tiahleigh had been reported missing.

?From the time that she was reported missing on the Friday there were an extensive amount of inquiries conducted by the police,? he said.

?They visited friends, family and associates.

?They went to a number of places that Tia had been known to go to previously under these circumstances.

?They conducted patrols, they visited shopping centres and they obtained CCTV from locations.

?During this period they were receiving information of sightings of Tia in various locations so the inquiries were ongoing during that whole period.?

Supt Hutchinson said the new page was welcomed.

Hundreds of Marsden residents gathered for a candle light vigil at a local park to pay their respects to schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer who was found dead last week. Picture by Scott Fletcher

?Any process that can assist us to help locate missing children is a great initiative,? he said.

Miss Dylan said the difference with their new page was that anybody could raise an alert, no matter how long the person had been missing.

?Our page is different to all the others out there because we are giving people the opportunity to share with the public if their child is missing for any period of time,? she said.

The page can be found by searching Missing Children Australia: Tiahleigh Alert on Facebook.

Police are continuing to appeal for anybody travelling on Chambers Flat Rd or Muchow Rd on October 30 and who had a dash cam or similar recording device with footage to contact Crime Stoppers.

They also want to speak with anyone who was on the bridge over the Pimpama River on Kerkin Road North between October 30 and November 6.

Police can't defend themselves & say it was QLD child protection who held them up for 6 days, but they do say they support this new fb page - I guess this is something that's frustrated them for a long time too.

So QLDpol spent the week chasing down sightings of a girl who died the day she disappeared

I wonder when/where those sightings of Tia were made & who was calling them in (or posting them). I guess that's pretty standard in missing persons, hopefully they were just mistaken identity & not something more deliberate.

A pretty little tanned dark haired girl? there are 15-20 every school in Logan. I think the sightings were clearly mistaken identity, same as always happens... If you didn't know the child well you might mistake any pretty, dark haired, tanned girl about that age for her. That's why I don't think sightings that aren't substantiated are valuable, at all.

Damn. I thought the family were Tongan because of a couple of names in the comments, but I think they might be Maori (could be both)

This is way too much like Sian Kingi

For those who aren't from Aus/aren't old enough to remember, Sian was a 12 yr old Queensland girl, of Maori heritage, who went missing in her school uniform.

Like Tialeigh she was a beautiful kid & looked older than her age. Sian disappeared in very different circumstances to Tia though. I was 17 when Sian was murdered & even now, all these years later I think of her every time my kids ask if they can take a short path alone & meet me at the end

Re the last post, just realised it might sound to people unfamiliar with Sian's case that I'm implying a connection. I'm definitely NOT it's just really fucking sad to see something so like Sian's horrible murder 30 years later.

Anyway, here's the latest ABC update

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-1...szczuk/6926882

Tiahleigh Palmer: No suspects and few leads in death of Logan schoolgirl, Queensland Police say
    Updated about 2 hours ago

PHOTO: Tiahleigh's body was found on the banks of the Pimpama River on November 5. (ABC News: Gordon Fuad)
    RELATED STORY: School security debated as community mourns Tiahleigh
    MAP: Brisbane 4000
    Queensland Police have said they may never know how 12-year-old Tiahleigh Palmer died and still have no suspects, as divers scour a Gold Coast river for clues.

Tiahleigh was last seen being dropped off at Marsden State High School in Logan, south of Brisbane, by a carer on October 30.

Fishermen found her decomposing body six days later on the bank of the Pimpama River, about 30 kilometres from her last known sighting.

Tiahleigh's school clothes and backpack are yet to be found, despite police divers searching the river again on Tuesday and SES volunteers scouring thick bushland along its bank.

Forty-three students from Marsden State High have been interviewed by police and 200 reports to Crime Stoppers have been received, Detective Inspector Dave Hutchinson said.

"We don't know what happened to Tia, we just don't know," he said.

"We are still looking at options that she has planned what she is doing.

"There are no suspects at this time.

"The cause of death is still not determined. We may never identify the cause of death."

Officers want to speak to anyone who was on Kirkin Road North around the bridge that crosses the Pimpama River in the seven days prior to Tiahleigh's body being found.

They also want dashcams from cars which were on Chambers Flat Road on Friday October 30 between 7:00am and 10:00am

"We are still trying identify Tia's movements on that morning," Detective Hutchinson said.

"We are getting versions but sometimes they contradict each other, there are inconsistencies.

"We do have some footage of Tia previously, but nothing around that time, not relevant to this inquiry.
    "

That last sentence, does it mean NONE of the sightings have checked out? The bus drivers would surely have recognised her if she really got on a bus - look how many passengers recognised Daniel Morcombe & they only saw him from the windows as they drove past.

Locals in fb posts are saying police took the footage from McDonald's cctv days ago - but those McDonald's sightings haven't been added to the timeline either.

Could she have got in a car AT SCHOOL with a P-plater student, a friend's parent, a school staffer? Because really, there doesn't seem to be any sightings outside the school? That's if she was ever really at the school to begin with - the kids who "saw" her friday morning could've been mistaken, least 6 days had passed before police interviewed them & school mornings really do run together, especially when you've gone to school with the same kids most of your life

There was another request for dashcam footage a few hours ago.

If you're in Aus & you have fb or twitter etc, make sure you're sharing these & make sure people understand that police NEED that footage if they think they saw nothing unusual or suspicious.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...sh-cam-footage

Detectives trying to solve the suspected murder of Qld schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer have urged Marsden motorists with dash cams to come forward.
    Source: AAP
    11 NOV 2015 - 3:59 AM* UPDATED*4*HOURS*AGO

Police want to speak to any motorists with dashboard cameras who travelled near the Queensland school where 12-year-old Tiahleigh Palmer was last seen.

Tiahleigh was dropped off at her off at Marsden State High School at Logan, south of Brisbane on October 30.

Her body was found on a Gold Coast river bank six days later and her death is now the focus of a murder investigation.

Detective Inspector Dave Hutchinson has urged anyone with a dash cam who travelled along Chambers Flat Rd and Muchow Rd on the morning of October 30 to contact police.

He said police also wanted to speak to motorists with dash cams who travelled along Kerkin Road North in Pimpama, near where Tiahleigh's body was found, at any time between October 30 and November 5.

Det Supt Hutchinson said police had so far interviewed 70 students from the school in an attempt to unravel Tiahleigh's last movements.

He said they had also recovered an "extensive amount" of CCTV footage from businesses and homes in the Logan area.

"It's just a case now of working our way through it all," he told ABC radio.

Detectives and SES officers were continuing their search of land around Marsden State High School on Wednesday.

Officers are yet to find Tiahleigh's backpack and uniform

If they're asking for footage from Pimpana up to 5 Nov - which is 5 days after her disappearance, does this mean they've heard from witnesses who said they were there between 30/10 & 5/11 & that they didn't see Tia?

Also mods, is there any chance of moving this to non-MDS deaths or something? It's kind of hard to find in here. It might just be my tablet but sometimes it doesn't even show in the additional info list for me

Tiahleigh?s foster sister said people disregarded the importance of the 12-year-old?s disappearance because she had run off before.

I've waited up to 10 hrs for police to respond when I've reported kids in care missing in the past,just to come take the report. Most of these kids have had long history's of running away.
    They have sometimes been gone for 5-6 weeks, some were also breaching bail..... But still no media attention, no missing persons search's, nothing. Even if they did run, now they are vulnerable youth, unaccounted for. How do you know they didn't meet with foul play on day 7 and have actually been dead for a month ?
    I always thought the fact that there is most of the time no distraught family calling the police constantly and making emotion fueled pleas to find their child played apart as well.
    Its not so compelling when the report is coming in from an over workered and under payed youth worker following a written protocol.

They have to fix this. It's so fucked up - even when they have both foster & bio families distraught & begging for action, they still can't act until DOCs/FaCS give the go ahead for a more detailed release. A few people have said that even when an official public alert was finally approved for Tia, it was only her photo, they didn't approve releaseof her name.

& I do get why, in some cases the child's whereabouts are being witheld from the bio family because their lives are under threat & connecting their name/image with a particular area causes all sorts of problems. FFS though, that doesn't apply to EVERY kid & protecting them from a perceived risk should never take precedence over protecting them from real ones.

I hope Tialeigh is the last kid failed by these privacy laws.

& I know where you're coming from, you're probably too young to remember this but it was front page for a while in the 90s. Jas was one of my kids. I was in the same class in primary school as her boyfriend too. He disappeared from class one day in 6th grade & I wondered for years what happened to him - until I started working the refuges in Sydney when I was 20.

http://www.babybracelet.com.au/baby-...loves-ya-baby/

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LC19930303015
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-10-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    I just came back to see if Tia had an article here.
    She was a student at the school I've been teaching at, I didn't teach her but plenty of my friends did, and several of my students knew her. The school is devastated.
    She was so young, this is awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

I feel for you TPT, it's bad enough when a high school loses a kid through a car accident or something. I can't imagine what the atmosphere is like there right now

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-1...school/6930198

Tiahleigh Palmer suspected murder: Police and SES scour land near Marsden State High School for clues
    Updated yesterday at 2:18pm

PHOTO: SES volunteers search for the belongings of Tiahleigh Palmer in scrub off Chambers Flat Road at Marsden. (ABC News: Courtney Wilson)

RELATED STORY: School security debated as community mourns Tiahleigh
    RELATED STORY: Schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer to be remembered at candlelight vigil
    MAP: Marsden 4132

A major search is underway near a school, south of Brisbane, for any clues which could help police solve the suspected murder of 12-year-old Tiahleigh Palmer.

Fishermen found Tiahleigh's decomposing body on a bank of a Gold Coast River six days after she was dropped off by her carer at Marsden State High School, in Logan.

Queensland Police and about 20 State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers searched bushland and drains near the school on Wednesday.

Her backpack and school uniform are yet to be found.

Police do not have any suspects and have conceded they may never know what happened to the Year 7 student.

Queensland's Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said every available resource had been dedicated to the investigation.

"I have no reason to pull anyone from this case at the moment," he said.

"I mean this is potentially a homicide investigation and that's what we're focusing on.

"The systemic issues are ones that obviously we'll examine in time."

Police Minister Jo-Ann Miller said it was "obvious that someone knows something".

"The police cannot solve this by themselves," she said.

It took police six days to alert the public that she was missing.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Tuesday that the Government would review how Queensland authorities respond when foster children go missing or run away.

Queensland Police want to speak to anyone who was on Kirkin Road North and around the bridge that crosses the Pimpama River in the seven days prior to Tiahleigh's body being found.

They also want dash cam footage from cars which were on Chambers Flat Road and Muchow Road on Friday October 30 between 7:00am and 10:00am.

About 70 students from Tiahleigh's school have so far been questioned by police.

"Our focus at the moment is still trying to indentify the last moments of Tia," Detective Superintendent Dave Hutchinson said.

The investigation isn't even a week old?? I really hope they're making it sound so hopeless because they're trying to give someone a false sense of confidence

Media are really pushing this. Maybe we'll actually see some changes. The QLD govt have been very quick to address it. The NSW govt by comparison are still completely silent on their own & NSW DOCs obstruction of William Tyrrell's case.

Maybe if NSW had voted the LNP out like QLD did, it might've been different, but I guess we'll never know

http://www.aww.com.au/latest-news/cr...a-secret-23078

The real reason police kept Tiahleigh?s disappearance a secret

Why did police wait six days to alert the public that Tiahleigh Palmer was missing? The answer is absolutely disgusting

A child goes missing and police wait six days before they tell anyone?

It?s not as uncommon as you think and if that child happens to be a foster child, it?s pretty much guaranteed.

As appalling as it may seem to our sense of justice, foster children are treated differently from other children.

Their parents have lost the right to care for them, and the people who take them into their homes have almost no rights at all.

Take the case of the missing Queensland girl, Tiahleigh Palmer, 12.

She was last seen on October 30, being dropped off at school.

RELATED

OPINION: Why we'll never hear the truth about William Tyrell

Michael Usher: Why William Tyrell made me lose it

Six days later, Queensland police decided to tell the public that she was missing and to perhaps keep an eye out for her.

Later that same day, her body turned up on the banks of a river, so badly decomposed as to be almost unrecognisable. She had been stripped of her clothes and murdered.

Why the delay in raising the alarm?

Because foster kids are treated differently. Tiahleigh had run away from home before. Foster kids have a tendency to do that. She could be a bit of a handful. That comes with the territory, too.

But still ? she was 12.

Her favourite colours were pink and purple.

Her backpack ? still missing ? had little flowers all over it.

The second reason it took so long is that Tiahleigh?s not white, and being a non-white foster child from a challenged background doesn't work in your favour, when you go missing.

Obviously that?s a controversial thing to say, but does anyone seriously believe that police would wait six days to alert the public to the fact that a 12-year-old white girl was missing from a good, middle-class home?

Not a chance.

Tiahleigh came from troubled circumstances, and so she was treated differently.

Queensland place have responded pretty defensively to questions from the media about why it took so long for them to raise the alarm.

They say they were checking with biological relatives, because it seemed reasonable to assume that she had gone there. They were also checking some of the places Tiahleigh had gone when she?d run away previously.

That?s fair enough, but it still doesn?t change the fact that had Tiahleigh been a) white; and b) living at home with her parents when she disappeared, an alert would have been raised much sooner.

Still, we can count ourselves lucky that we are at least able to know about this case, and that justice may yet be done.

Had Tiahleigh turned up dead in NSW, as opposed to Queensland, there?s a very good chance that the public wouldn?t be allowed to know anything about it.

It?s against the law to identify a dead child in NSW. It?s doubly illegal to identify a dead foster child.

Rest assured there are crimes against foster children in NSW that you never hear anything about, because of that ban.

Media organisations go to court all the time to fight for the right to tell you more, but they rarely - if ever - win.

It?s good to see Tiahleigh?s family taking a stand. They?ve set up a Facebook page in her honour, on which they say:

?We feel that had this been made more public more quickly, someone may have seen her and prevented this from happening.

?Remember not to judge any child/teen runaway or missing youth. Their background (and) family life is never as important as finding the person.

?Judgemental gossip only takes away precious time we could be spending finding these young people.

?Regardless of the reason why (they are missing) they need to be found as quickly as possible.?

Yes, they do. And treated like anyone else.

Re-reading what's available online of the Jasmine Lodge murder/DOCs debacle (the case I mentioned a few posts back from when I worked in refuges), the DOCs privacy laws obviously weren't in place then. Media were able to report EVERY detail, they tracked down her bio-family at home & showed her much younger siblings on tv & all sorts of shit. DOCs took an absolute hammering as the details came out.

I can't help but think these new privacy laws that came in the years after were more about preventing more major "embarrassments" for DOCs than they've ever been about protecting other kids like Jas.

Those laws about NSW dead kids, are they why we have radio silence now on William Tyrell?

I'm just going to assume WAG means skipping school.

I'm totally using that term from now on. Aussies have the best words

Tiahleigh Palmer may have planned to wag school when she disappeared on October 30, a week before her body was found by a Gold Coast River.

Today, investigators urged the 12-year-old’s Marsden State High schoolmates not to be afraid of sharing information with police.

“There’s also some information there that may suggest she was thinking of ‘wagging’ it that day,” Detective Superintendent David Hutchinson said

“We believe that some of the children will have some information about that and we’re encouraging them to come forward with that.

“We’re telling them they’re not going to be in any trouble just because they know that this was going to occur.”

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...GAI96gpHwzQ.99

Tiahleigh Palmer may have planned to wag school when she disappeared on October 30, a week before her body was found by a Gold Coast River.

Today, investigators urged the 12-year-old?s Marsden State High schoolmates not to be afraid of sharing information with police.

?There?s also some information there that may suggest she was thinking of ?wagging? it that day,? Detective Superintendent David Hutchinson said

?We believe that some of the children will have some information about that and we?re encouraging them to come forward with that.

?We?re telling them they?re not going to be in any trouble just because they know that this was going to occur.?

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post

You're correct. We speak nonsense.

We sometimes use "jig" too although my kids tell me no-one they know would be caught dead saying "jig" & "wag", which was around when I was a kid, is back in these days

Another article here

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-1...elieve/6940052

Tiahleigh Palmer planned to skip school the day she disappeared, police say
    By Michelle Rafferty
    Updated 40 minutes ago

RELATED STORY: Police stop motorists near bridge where Tiahleigh's body foundRELATED STORY: Belongings of 12yo girl suspected murdered still missing: police
    MAP: Marsden 4132
    Twelve-year-old Tiahleigh Palmer, whose body was found on a northern Gold Coast riverbank last week, planned to skip school the day she disappeared, police believe.

More than 60 officers are investigating the suspected murder of the Marsden State High School student.

Fishermen found Tiahleigh's body on the banks of the Pimpama River on November 5, six days after she was last seen.

Timeline: Tiahleigh Palmer probe

The investigation into Tiahleigh's death continues, but police admit they may never know how she died.
    Police suspect she may have been murdered.

On Friday, Detective Superintendent Dave Hutchinson encouraged her fellow students at Marsden State High School to speak up if they know something.

"There is also some information there that would suggest that maybe she was thinking of wagging it that day so and that would suggest she had a plan to meet somebody," he said.

"We believe that some of the children will have some more information about that, and we are encouraging them to come forward with that.

"We are telling them they are not going to be in any trouble, just because they know that this was going to occur."

Det Supt Hutchinson said police could not rule out the fact that Tiahleigh was picked up by a passing motorist.

"But the chances she was just picked up on the very day is statistically low, but we don't discount that," he said.

Police are still looking for Tahleigh's pink Mambo-style backpack and school uniform.

I don't know the area at all but I'm assuming she must have been taken to Pimpana in a private vehicle because there's just no way there'd be no sightings from drivers & passengers if she really got a bus.
    It seems the McDonald's sightings weren't confirmed by cctv either - but is that because she was never there at all, or because they were 6 days late retrieving it?

It's just so weird there seem to be no verified sightings outside of that school so far. There were SO MANY of Daniel Morcombe called in by strangers who passed him in their cars, it makes no sense there were none of Tiah, not even a glimpse of her that day from any cctv or dashcams.

It's weird.
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-14-2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: ohhh android edit function - how I do hate you. that was "caught dead" not the crazy jumble I ended up with

I'm assuming they invited media to the service & gave permission for her coffin to bve photographed. More pix at link

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1227609164467

Hundreds attend funeral for murdered Logan schoolgirl

HUNDREDS of mourners today said their final goodbyes to murdered Logan schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer, as the search for the 12-year-old’s killer continues.

The tiny Brisbane Anglican Maori Mission church hall, at Cornubia, was today a sea of purple as friends and relatives wore shirts that read “in loving memory of Tiahleigh”.

Outside the tiny hall, hundreds of supporters who were unable to fit inside for the service, crowded on a veranda and stood on footpaths before forming a guard of honour and releasing purple balloons.

Pallbearers carry the coffin of murdered school girl Tiahleigh Palmer during her funeral in Cornubia.Pic: Dan Peled/AAP
    Family and friends performed a traditional Maori haka as the hearse left after the service.

During the service, Tia was remembered as a bubbly girl who loved to dance.

“Family and friends spoke of Tia as a young lady who loved her music and dance,” funeral celebrant Rodney Schafferius said.

“But her greatest role was simply this; a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a niece, a cousin and a friend.”

Marsden State School Chaplain Ian Pratt said the school had been a different place since Tia’s death.

“Our school will never be the same place, Tia has left her fingerprints on each one of us, and while we grieve, we are stronger for having known her,” he said.

Family members thanked the Queensland Police Service, the community and the fisherman who found Tia’s body.

Cyndi Palmer (3rd left), attends the funeral of her daughter, murdered schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer in Cornubia, south of Brisbane. Pic: Dan Peled/AAP
    Tiahleigh Palmer’s body was tragically found on a remote stretch of the banks of the Pimpama River, at the northern Gold Coast, on Thursday November 5.

Police are still appealing for any information relating to her disappearance and death.

Contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    We sometimes use "jig" too although my kids tell me no-one they know would be caught saying dead "jig" & "wag", which was around when I was a kid, is back in these days

Another article here

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-1...elieve/6940052

I don't know the area at all but I'm assuming she must have been taken to Pimpana in a private vehicle because there's just no way there'd be no sightings from drivers & passengers if she really got a bus.
    It seems the McDonald's sightings weren't confirmed by cctv either - but is that because she was never there at all, or because they were 6 days late retrieving it?

It's just so weird there seem to be no verified sightings outside of that school so far. There were SO MANY of Daniel Morcombe called in by strangers who passed him in their cars, it makes no sense there were none of Tiah, not even a glimpse of her that day from any cctv or dashcams.

It's weird.
    I live at Yatala, very near Pimpama and I know of no busses that would go from Marsden to Pimpama, but maybe the train is an option? The gold coast train stops at Ormeau and it is close-ish to where she was found
    and it has a pickup near marsden from memory

You would have to get a bus to get to a train station from the high school.

I feel like she would have been seen on public transport, so she must have been picked up in a car.

It's weird to think I was at the school when she was dropped off and then went missing :(
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

I'm out that way too. She would have to catch like 2 buses and a train to get from Marsden to Pimpama.

Weird there's multiple Brisbaney people here, it's freaking me out

Thread Information