Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 9-Week old Chance Walsh was murdered by his mother

Chilling call warned Baby Chance was in danger

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...nger/75563528/

10 News has uncovered a chilling phone call with a warning about Baby Chance Walsh, made to the state's child abuse hotline six weeks before he died.

There are now serious questions about how the call was handled. The state says the hotline operator who took the call downplayed it and mishandled it.

Six weeks later, Baby Chance was dead. North Port Police say he was murdered by his father.

We've been on top of this story for weeks, trying to get answers about who failed this child. This phone call will break your heart, and probably make you angry.

The anonymous call came into the state child abuse hotline the day after Baby Chance was born in July.

10 News has uncovered a chilling phone call with a warning about Baby Chance Walsh, made to the state's child abuse hotline six weeks before he died.

There are now serious questions about how the call was handled. The state says the hotline operator who took the call downplayed it and mishandled it.

Six weeks later, Baby Chance was dead. North Port Police say he was murdered by his father.

We've been on top of this story for weeks, trying to get answers about who failed this child. This phone call will break your heart, and probably make you angry.

The anonymous call came into the state child abuse hotline the day after Baby Chance was born in July.

DCF: Clues missed in Chance's death WTSP

Related story: DCF secretary addresses deaths of Janiya, Chance

According to a review of the call done by the Florida Department of Children and Families and obtained by 10 News, the call should have been referred to an investigator, something that could have saved Baby Chance's life.

But instead, it was "screened out" and just filed away. The operator determined it didn't meet the criteria for an investigation, even though call has exchanges like this:

Operator: You know that the mother is using drugs?

Caller: I do, yes.

Operator: And you say that she's using opiates?

Caller: It's an opiate inhibitor that's like, similar to, like, methodone.

The caller rattled off fear after fear about Chance's parents. But the operator kept insisting the caller's tips weren't strong enough.

Operator: You keep saying that, you know, you really don't see mom, it's kind of a rumor-type thing. And we really can't take --

Caller: Wow.

Operator: -- reports of that. Just, like, rumors.

Moments later, the caller grew even more exasperated, saying, "I mean, these people are not stable. They shouldn't have a child. They shouldn't even be letting the child go home with them."

"They're flying under the radar somehow. And it's really scaring me. Because I don't want another child to pass away."

DCF's review of the call found three separate reasons it should have prompted an investigation into whether Baby Chance was safe with his parents, who are now charged with his murder.

The caller said the mother, Kristen Bury, was using drugs.
    The caller said the family's home had burned down because of a meth lab explosion.
    And both parents -- Kristen Bury and Joseph Walsh -- had past histories of problems with their other children.
    The call is just chilling.

"What I'm mainly concerned about is that child," the caller said. "I don't want the child to come home and then I hear about it through the grapevine three weeks from now that the child passed away."

Chance died six weeks after that call. Police say his father beat him to death.

The caller said in 2014, the couple had another baby that died within a few weeks of birth. State investigators looked into that death last year and found that baby died of natural causes -- a sleeping accident.

DCF: Clues missed in Chance's death WTSP

Related story: DCF secretary addresses deaths of Janiya, Chance

According to a review of the call done by the Florida Department of Children and Families and obtained by 10 News, the call should have been referred to an investigator, something that could have saved Baby Chance's life.

But instead, it was "screened out" and just filed away. The operator determined it didn't meet the criteria for an investigation, even though call has exchanges like this:

Operator: You know that the mother is using drugs?

Caller: I do, yes.

Operator: And you say that she's using opiates?

Caller: It's an opiate inhibitor that's like, similar to, like, methodone.

The caller rattled off fear after fear about Chance's parents. But the operator kept insisting the caller's tips weren't strong enough.

Operator: You keep saying that, you know, you really don't see mom, it's kind of a rumor-type thing. And we really can't take --

Caller: Wow.

Operator: -- reports of that. Just, like, rumors.

Moments later, the caller grew even more exasperated, saying, "I mean, these people are not stable. They shouldn't have a child. They shouldn't even be letting the child go home with them."

"They're flying under the radar somehow. And it's really scaring me. Because I don't want another child to pass away."

DCF's review of the call found three separate reasons it should have prompted an investigation into whether Baby Chance was safe with his parents, who are now charged with his murder.

The caller said the mother, Kristen Bury, was using drugs.
    The caller said the family's home had burned down because of a meth lab explosion.
    And both parents -- Kristen Bury and Joseph Walsh -- had past histories of problems with their other children.
    The call is just chilling.

"What I'm mainly concerned about is that child," the caller said. "I don't want the child to come home and then I hear about it through the grapevine three weeks from now that the child passed away."

Chance died six weeks after that call. Police say his father beat him to death.

The caller said in 2014, the couple had another baby that died within a few weeks of birth. State investigators looked into that death last year and found that baby died of natural causes -- a sleeping accident..

But, after this review of the botched call about Baby Chance, DCF says it is adopting a new policy that in the future, any call that discusses a past child's death has to be referred to a supervisor for a decision.

DCF's report also looked into whether a systemic problem with the hotline's procedures led to these warning signs being missed. It found the abuse hotline's screening methods are strong and improving -- but in this case, the operator didn't follow them.

For example, the operator didn't recognize that allegations like drug use and past problems with other children should escalate the call to an investigator.

Plus, the operator's notes about the call didn't match the severity of what the caller actually said. So anyone reviewing the operator's written notes to make sure the case was properly handled wouldn't have known all of the needed details.

The missed warning "was an error in decision-making made by an individual who did not correctly utilize the existing tools, protocols and supports that are readily available when determining the criteria for intake acceptance," the DCF review concluded.

DCF says the child abuse hotline operator who bungled this call has been "moved into another position." I did some digging, but it's not clear what that new job is.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Nothing matters but the lesbian.

This article above says he was murdered by his father, the thread says he was murdered by his mother. Which is it? I thought they both did it.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    This article above says he was murdered by his father, the thread says he was murdered by his mother. Which is it? I thought they both did it.

The mom watched as the man beat the bady to death. She did nothing.

Mother gets 25 years in prison for Florida baby's death after son's decomposing body was found buried in a shallow grave

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3xv8WAXGd

I've been trying to copy the artical and it just keeps fucking up, hopefully some else will have better luck.

You really have to hand it to grandma. She said what a lot of parents wouldn't say anymore if their kid did something terrible.

Now that Kristin is in prison and most likely the cleanest (off drugs) she has been in a long time...I wonder how she even sleeps at night?

SARASOTA, Fla. ? Kristen Bury, the mother of Chance Walsh, the newborn who was found buried in a remote wooded area in North Port in October, will serve 25 years in prison after she pleaded no contest to aggravated manslaughter.

Bury cried as she entered the no contest plea on Wednesday.

Bury, 32, was initially charged with homicide negligent manslaughter. With the plea deal, Bury will:

Be required to testify against her husband, Joseph Walsh, who is charged with second-degree murder.
    Wave the statute of limitation and her right to a speedy trial.
    Face additional charges if she refuses to testify or does not testify ?truthfully and consistently.?
    The couple?s inconsistent versions of what happened to Chance eventually led authorities to the baby?s body.

The couple said the baby died in an Oct. 2 vehicle wreck in South Carolina, then claimed Chance was given away to a stranger at a Georgia hotel prior to the crash.

Investigators said Chance died on Sept. 16 inside the couple?s Orduna Drive home in North Port, investigators said. Chance gasped for breath for hours after Walsh beat him, and eventually choked on a diaper wipe, an arrest report said.

Small amounts of blood were found on the bed pillows, comforter and mattress inside the home, the report said. Blood spatter was also found on the walls, door, mirror and light fixture in the bathroom.

Bury cried again as the details of the crime were read aloud in court.

The couple buried the baby several days after his death in a remote, wooded area about 13 miles from their residence, detectives said. Bury led authorities to his body, located at a gravesite near Elliot Court, on Oct. 15.

Detectives found a fragment of a blue surgical type glove, as well as the body of an infant covered only with a diaper.

It was Bury?s assistance that led to her plea deal, prosecutors said.

?She?s a monster?

Sally Susino, Bury?s mother, pressed for her daughter to cooperate with authorities while Chance was missing.

On Wednesday, she cried as she watched her daughter receive a prison sentence.

?Kristen was not the product of a dysfunctional upbringing,? she said. ?Sat down to family dinners. Led a beautiful, normal healthy childhood. No abuse, only love. Taught her right from wrong.?

Things changed once she became an adult, Susino said.

?Made a series of bad choices and blamed them on everyone else,? she said. ?Choosing drugs, stealing. Pushing everyone away. Had her first child adopted away in exchange for a car, even though the family wanted the child.?

Bury divorced and went into rehab, Susino said. She became pregnant with Chance not long after meeting Joseph Walsh.

?Made the choice to let the defenseless baby die a horrible death,? she said. ?Chose abusive husband.?

While she still loves her daughter, Susino was not remorseful of her actions.

She felt her daughter should?ve received more prison time.

?I hope she enjoys her new life,? she said.

John Murawski, Bury?s stepfather, said the case highlights the need for grandparents to have parental rights for their grandchildren.

He was also not remorseful of Bury?s prison sentence.

?Stood by, watched her baby die and did nothing to prevent it,? he said. ?In my eyes, she?s a monster.?

Alleged drug use

About three weeks after Chance was born, the state Department of Children and Families received a tip that Bury was using drugs. The department said there was not enough evidence for an investigation because the caller didn?t have first hand knowledge of the drug abuse.

Six weeks later, Chance was beaten to death, authorities said.

?We failed,? DCF Director Mike Carroll said.

Bury told a relative she despised Chance because he was not Duane, her previous child who died two weeks after birth due to acute pyelonephritis, a severe kidney infection, according to a police report.

Sarasota County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Russell Vega said the infection was the first he saw in an autopsy of an infant.

?At that time, our complete evaluation found essentially no significant injuries,? Vega told the Charlotte Sun in September.

Violent past

Before Walsh was arrested and charged in Chance?s death, DCF was well aware of his violent history, having taken multiple children from a previous marriage away from him.

By his mid-20s, Walsh was raising seven children with his first wife and becoming well known to law enforcement:

He was charged with aggravated assault and battery in 2002. The charges were later dropped.
    He was charged with attempting to strangle his wife?s friend in 2004. Those charges were also dropped.
    Walsh became a felon in 2006 after pleading guilty to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Walsh was on drugs when he jumped onto a kitchen counter top, lunged at his mother-in-law and attacked her with a kitchen knife, according to court documents.
    In 2007, Walsh was charged with assaulting his wife. Those charges were dropped.
    In total, Walsh faced 11 charges, including threatening to put his wife in a body bag on three different occasions, according to court records. Nine of those charges were dropped.

http://www.winknews.com/2016/01/20/b...ainst-husband/

Bury reportedly collapsed in tears as her mother told a judge that Bury made a conscious choice to "let my defenseless, tiny grandson Chance die a horrible death, choosing an abusive husband [and] drugs over the life of her own child."

Susino told the judge her daughter lacks the "mother's instinct to love and protect her young."

"Justice needs to be done, and we don't feel the sentence was strong enough," Susino told reporters after the court hearing, as her husband held up a photo of the child. "A mother is supposed to protect her child at all costs, and that wasn't done."
    However, on July 28, the day after Chance was born, the state's child abuse hotline received a tip from an anonymous caller who said she believed Bury was on drugs and feared for the boy's life.

"I mean, these people are not stable," the caller said, according to a recording obtained by CBS affiliate WTSP."They shouldn't have a child. They shouldn't even be letting the child go home with them."

The hotline operator told the caller she didn't have first-hand information and called the allegations "rumors."

Nine weeks later, the boy was dead.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/grandmot...strong-enough/

Fuck these dirty oxygen thieving scum. Her own mother doesn't even have sympathy for her.

I seriously wish there was a service like the ranger for these drug addicts. Treat them like the animals they are. I shouldn't even call them that a animal behaves better than them. Call me harsh or heartless but I get harrassed and abused by them daily while on my way to and from work, AND while working, and i can't do anything for fear of them attacking me.

And than you have the ones like these 2 pieces of shit who hurt and kill their own flesh and blood. How can anyone in their right mind hurt a child let alone their own. Oh wait i answered my own question they wern't in their right mind. Fuck these junkie baby killers!!

Sorry for the rant this story just really pissed me off. RIP Chance you deserved so much more, i just wish you had the chance to grow up in a loving caring home x

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    As much as my mom loves me, she would probably say the same thing if I did something like this. And rightfully so. I'm so disgusted with these people.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Chance's mother, Kristen Bury, accepted a plea deal in which she received a 25-year prison sentence in exchange for agreeing to testify against Walsh when he comes to trial.

Bury's mother, Sally Susino, said at the time that her daughter's sentence was not sufficient.

Grandma is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Chance's mother, Kristen Bury, accepted a plea deal in which she received a 25-year prison sentence in exchange for agreeing to testify against Walsh when he comes to trial.

Bury's mother, Sally Susino, said at the time that her daughter's sentence was not sufficient.

Grandma is awesome.
    ^^This 100%. Grandma is one hell of a woman.

I hate this woman, she wants sympathy for what she says is alife riddled by “numerous poor decisions,” “criminal charges” and “incarcerations. Fuck her!

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    She is all about herself. If I were the despicable mother who allowed my child to be killed like she did, I would just sit back and take what was coming to me because I deserved every bit of it. Yet she essentially shows little if any remorse. Eff her.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/32567759/...by-chance-case

DCF: 'Error' made in Baby Chance case
    The fuck? :huh: Then how the fuck do you act on tips, if they're just "hearsay"? That's the stupidest, "cover my ass" bullshit I think I've read in a long ass fucking time.

Jezus fucking Christ! Wow, epic fucking fail there. Epic fail.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    "Reassigned"

Um. They should be fired. How do these asshats from the government get away with this shit and still have a job?
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I agree,these ppl should've been fired & no longer able to work in this field ever again. Isn't every call kind of a 'rumor',since its your word & you can't prove the abuse at that time? Ignorant of them not too check on that baby. Every call should be followed up on.
    Why does this keep happening when there's places set up to drop the babies off?!? Every time I see this kind of story it just hurts my heart. 💔

God this is one of the shittiest cases ever.

I jusy about threw up when she said she wanted to 'help others'.

That poor baby was failed by literally everyone in his life.

Kristen (mom) was found dead in her jail cell. Probably suicide

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news..._s_mother.html

I hope it was a slow and hideously painful death.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Kristen (mom) was found dead in her jail cell. Probably suicide

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news..._s_mother.html
    Good.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

** Baby Chance's dad sentenced to 45 years in prison **
    SARASOTA (FOX 13) - Today should mark the beginning of closure for baby Chance Walsh’s grandparents, but they say they walk away with even more heartache and a loss that will never be filled.

Thread Information