Thread: Web's My Death Space: Forum For Good Or Evil?

Web's My Death Space: Forum For Good Or Evil?

Posted: Sun 8:00 PM, Feb 24, 2013A A Reporter: Jacki Ochoa Email
    Updated: Sun 10:55 PM, Feb 24, 2013

A growing social media site has people talking. My Death Space gives the living a chance to tell the world about someone's death.

Mydeathspace.com is a site where you can anonymously post information about anyone's death and people can anonymously comment. Advocates say it's a place to talk about death in hopes of preventing further crimes, but not everyone agrees.

mydeathspace.com
    ?I think there's a very fine line in between trying to remember somebody and morbid voyeurism,? says UNO student Kevin Holohan.

?It is really morbid and awful,? says UNO student Samantha Keiffer. ?Death is supposed to be personal and private and to put it online is kind of awful."

But is it? Paige Toller is an associate professor in the Communication Department at UNO. ?It is good to talk about loss and grief and death and as a culture we don't do a very good job of it."

Toller recently analyzed mydeathspace.com?s postings on suicide deaths. What she found was completely unexpected. "If the deceased person was a parent, the commenters were very judgmental about their choice to end their life. They would say things like, you know, you're a mother, how selfish, how could you do this to your poor children??

If you're curious about this site, be prepared. ?This shows a darker side of human nature, I think, and it also shows how anonymity on the web and these spaces can really lead people to say and post some really cruel things,? says Toller.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/M...192919791.html

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvit View Post

A growing social media site has people talking. My Death Space gives the living a chance to tell the world about someone's death.

Mydeathspace.com is a site where you can anonymously post information about anyone's death and people can anonymously comment. Advocates say it's a place to talk about death in hopes of preventing further crimes, but not everyone agrees.

mydeathspace.com
    ?I think there's a very fine line in between trying to remember somebody and morbid voyeurism,? says UNO student Kevin Holohan.

"It is really morbid and awful," says UNO student Samantha Keiffer. "Death is supposed to be personal and private and to put it online is kind of awful."

But is it? Paige Toller is an associate professor in the Communication Department at UNO. ?It is good to talk about loss and grief and death and as a culture we don't do a very good job of it."

Toller recently analyzed mydeathspace.com?s postings on suicide deaths. What she found was completely unexpected. "If the deceased person was a parent, the commenters were very judgmental about their choice to end their life. They would say things like, you know, you're a mother, how selfish, how could you do this to your poor children??

If you're curious about this site, be prepared. "This shows a darker side of human nature, I think, and it also shows how anonymity on the web and these spaces can really lead people to say and post some really cruel things," says Toller.

Has this person been here recently?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I always think it amusing that they fail to say anything that is mentioned here is already online for public speculation. I view us more as collectors of information.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvit View Post

mydeathspace.com

?It is really morbid and awful,? says UNO student Samantha Keiffer. ?Death is supposed to be personal and private and to put it online is kind of awful."

If you're curious about this site, be prepared. ?This shows a darker side of human nature, I think, and it also shows how anonymity on the web and these spaces can really lead people to say and post some really cruel things,? says Toller.

Because, of course, it's not cruel to kill yourself and leave your children without their parent. Or worse, in cases where we blast the murderous guilty person or persons for their actions...do they not think the same exact things? See , I think they do, they're just afraid to admit it. I have no problem whatsoever calling a rat a rat. It's not the Christian thing to do, to judge. Whatthefuckever. I will do just that because I know the difference between right and wrong and it's your fault if you haven't figured it out and go and do something stupid that ends up hurting/killing you or those you love. Funny that they don't come on here and engage in honest discussion about subjects, they'd rather be one of the nameless guests to the site to anonymously vilify the site and those of us who frequent it.

As a community, this site does a very good job of supporting it's membership, preemie or not, and I, for one am very glad I found this site. We're not all a bunch of creepy, death obsessed wierdos who do nothing all day but troll the 'netz in search of obituaries. It is an eye opening, heart wrenching, and educational/information filled site with a lot to offer if people just give it half a chance. Those who seek to discredit this site or label it "morbid curiosity" (sorry MC!) are truly missing the point.

And for the record I will continue to say cruel things about cruel people. Count on it.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

Dark side of human nature? Has that person ever looked at the rest of the internet?

I was actually kind of disappointed at how un-dark and not morbid you all are. I was expecting more.

I agree. There are MUCH worse sites if you want to see dark and callous.
    this site is super tame in comparison. And I appreciate that actually

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    I always think it amusing that they fail to say anything that is mentioned here is already online for public speculation. I view us more as collectors of information.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. As if there's no online obituaries, news stories or FB wall postings that hint a death has occurred..All the deaths/crimes here were private until MDS came along exploited them all lol

Thread Information