Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baby in ICU had blood alcohol level of 0.294

Baby in ICU had blood alcohol level of 0.294

http://www.ketv.com/national/kenosha...t%20Type=Story

KENOSHA, Wis. ?Police in southern Wisconsin said a woman accidentally fed her infant vodka instead of water Monday.

According to a criminal complaint against 22-year-old Brian Jones, police were called to a home Monday evening to respond to an argument and assault.

When police arrived, the found Jones screaming and swearing at a group of about a dozen people gathered around a car. Officers said Jones was holding open the rear door, and a 20-year-old woman was inside the car.

According to the complaint, Jones threatened officers by yelling, "Don't (expletive) touch me," and came toward them with clenched fists. After a brief struggle with officers, he was handcuffed.

Documents state that an officer then spoke to the woman in the car, who was crying and sobbing uncontrollably. She then told the officer that Jones had choked her after she had used a water bottle filled with vodka to feed her 1-month-old child.

The complaint said the child consumed about 2 ounces of vodka in her formula. Officers observed that the child's breathing was labored and an ambulance was called.

The baby's blood alcohol level registered as 0.294 and she was transferred to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin for treatment.

The mother said she and Jones were in their apartment when he asked if the baby had been fed. She said she had used the water bottle she always uses in the kitchen. Jones then became upset and started yelling and said he had dumped out the water and filled the bottle with vodka.

The complaint says he continued to yell at her, threw a bottle at her, pushed her and grabbed her by the neck so hard she was unable to speak.

According to the complaint, the argument and fight continued out in a hallway and into the parking lot, which is when police arrived.

Police believe the incident was an accident, and the mother will likely not face any charges.

Jones is facing charges of strangulation and battery, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer. He could face nearly 10 years in prison if convicted.

The condition of the baby is not yet known.

Never supposed to give an infant water and you can smell the Vodka way

I wasn't done... Screw you iPod lol anyways as I was saying you're never supposed to give an infant water and you can smell vodka from a mile away. This bitch is a liar. Hope baby is ok!!!

I think they're saying she used vodka with the babys formula instead of water. I'm surprised the baby was actually able to drink it.

How can you not smell it a mile away??

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I hate to say it but I'm with Kat here. You can smell vodka as soon as you open that bottle. And you never give an infant water, ever. It robs them of calories, electrolytes and nutrients that their formula and breastmilk contain to keep them alive. Expending calories and only getting only fluid in return (and not the other afforementioned items) will leave baby unconscious and unresponsive before long...just like alcohol.

I'd be raging pissed too, just like that dude was. I want to know what that bitch was on when she did something so glaringly fucking stupid.

Hope the baby makes it, but vodka in a one month old is notttt good at all. Their little bodies just can't filter that shit.

Consider this: one fifth of our kidney is all that is needed to filter all of the blood we pump for 24 hours. One fifth. Twenty percent. Damaging your kidneys can be devastating to your overall health, and I can guarantee you that this kid will suffer some kind of damage to his kidneys (not to mention his brain) from the exposure to the alcohol. Our bodies just aren't built to take that kind of punishment at such a young age.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    I hate to say it but I'm with Kat here. You can smell vodka as soon as you open that bottle. And you never give an infant water, ever. It robs them of calories, electrolytes and nutrients that their formula and breastmilk contain to keep them alive. Expending calories and only getting only fluid in return (and not the other afforementioned items) will leave baby unconscious and unresponsive before long...just like alcohol.

I'd be raging pissed too, just like that dude was. I want to know what that bitch was on when she did something so glaringly fucking stupid.
    You have to use water to mix infant formula, which is what happened here.

If she was using it with powdered formula, then yeah, I think you'd be able to smell it because it's a higher volume of liquid. But if she was using it with the liquid concentrate, she would be using a lot less water (or in this case, vodka). I think the cheap stuff smells stronger, but I could be mistaken.

And back the fuck up. Mom uses the same water bottle everytime she mixes formula. Dad knows she uses this particular water bottle, yet he dumps out the water, fills it with vodka, leaves it out and doesn't see fit to mention this to her. All that, and she's a bitch who did something "glaringly fucking stupid". Are you fucking kidding me?

This dude threatened cops, assaulted a woman and resisted officers. Not to mention he played a HUGE role in this incident.

ETA:

The mother said she and Smith were in their apartment when he asked if the baby had been fed. She said she had used the water bottle she always uses in the kitchen. Jones then became upset and started yelling and said he had dumped out the water and had filled the bottle with vodka, intending to take it with him.
    And I'm trying to think of any circumstances in which bringing an unlabeled water bottle filled with vodka is appropriate, yet here he is getting ready to take it with him somewhere.
    AND he filled a water bottle with vodka to take it with him? Winner.

Honestly, it almost sounds like he was trying to set her up. "Oh, did you feed the baby? By the way, the bottle of water you always use was full of vodka. Hope you didn't use it this time."
    Last edited by songbirdsong; 09-10-2015 at 05:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

She wasn't feeding the baby water, she was using what she thought was water to mix up the babys formula. By the look of things, no charges are being laid.

Kenosha police said a woman fed her infant vodka instead of water Monday.

According to a criminal complaint against Brian Smith, 22, police were called to a home on 52nd Street Monday evening to respond to an argument and assault.

When police arrived, the found Smith screaming and swearing at a group of about a dozen people gathered around a car. Officers said Smith was holding open the rear door, and a 20-year-old woman was inside the car.

According to the complaint, Jones threatened officers by yelling, "Don't (expletive) touch me," and came toward them with clenched fists. After a brief struggle with officers, he was handcuffed.

Documents state that an officer then spoke to the woman in the car, who was crying and sobbing uncontrollably. She then told the officer that Smith had choked her after she had used a water bottle filled with vodka to feed her 1-month-old child, Daviarre.

The complaint said the baby consumed about 2 ounces of vodka in her formula. Officers observed that the child's breathing was labored and an ambulance was called.

The baby's blood-alcohol level registered as 0.294 and she was transferred to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin for treatment.

The mother said she and Smith were in their apartment when he asked if the baby had been fed. She said she had used the water bottle she always uses in the kitchen. Jones then became upset and started yelling and said he had dumped out the water and had filled the bottle with vodka, intending to take it with him.

The complaint said he continued to yell at her, threw a bottle at her, pushed her and grabbed her by the neck so hard she was unable to speak.

According to the complaint, the argument and fight continued out in a hallway and into the parking lot, which is when police arrived.

Police believe the incident was an accident, and the mother will likely not face any charges.

The baby's grandfather said it was all a big misunderstanding.

"It was an honest mistake, and then it led up to a bunch of other things, and he didn't know what to do, and he was scared,? Allen Jones said.

Smith is facing charges of strangulation and battery, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer. He could face nearly 10 years in prison if convicted.

Lt. Bradley Hetlet said the baby was expected to be released from the hospital late Wednesday.

Police said the alcohol part of the case was an accident and that Smith and his girlfriend should not expect to face any child neglect charges.

"I spoke with the detective about this this morning, and it appears this was just the series of unfortunate events that led to this, and it was just a mistake,? Hetlet said.
    http://www.wisn.com/news/kenosha-bab...-0294/35175010

yep, I'm with sbs on this one. Guy's a loser. Poor baby, it says the baby is to be released...wonder if that means it's okay and no damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Yeah, my fault. Dad should have been pissed at himself for being stupid enough to put vodka in a water bottle, probably knowing that the same water bottle was the one that mom used for baby. And of course he's a loser. He puts vodka in a water bottle to take it with him. He treats his girl like shit for something that is clearly his fault. I must have been smoking crack not to have thought that one clearly through. Flame me now.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Yeah, my fault. Dad should have been pissed at himself for being stupid enough to put vodka in a water bottle, probably knowing that the same water bottle was the one that mom used for baby. And of course he's a loser. He puts vodka in a water bottle to take it with him. He treats his girl like shit for something that is clearly his fault. I must have been smoking crack not to have thought that one clearly through. Flame me now.
    I was totally sassing up my rebuttal when you posted this. Dammit, kevan.
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    And I'm trying to think of any circumstances in which bringing an unlabeled water bottle filled with vodka is appropriate, yet here he is getting ready to take it with him somewhere.
    AND he filled a water bottle with vodka to take it with him? Winner.
    I was with you until this. WTF? Are you kidding?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Yeah, the above was my initial reaction, because my mind was all "how the fuck can you..." but then I got to thinking - maybe she was tired, been up all night with baby, didn't realize.... People make mistakes. I'm glad the baby's going to be okay, and I hope that all parties can learn a bit from this unfortunate incident.

I know I'm (occasionally) hypercritical of people, but it's because I learned early on what was dangerously stupid and what wasn't, and I developed a healthy appreciation for the fragility of life. It's a shame that others don't learn the things that they truly need to know before they're faced with a situation where knowledge is key. I know that people don't learn the same things growing up, and that's fine. But once you reach adulthood and don't understand that guns can kill you, or that babies can't be fed just water, or that children can drown in a tablespoon of water...then it bugs me. I was wrong in my assumption, and that's on me. That's what I get for not thinking it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

As a someone who once upon never left home for a night out without a lemon squash bottle filled with gin, I second this.

However, I also place blame entirely on the dad in this situation. When you've got a baby, it's time to stop being a vodka swilling dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I just really hate vodka

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    As a someone who once upon never left home for a night out without a lemon squash bottle filled with gin, I second this.

However, I also place blame entirely on the dad in this situation. When you've got a baby, it's time to stop being a vodka swilling dick.
    If I'm being totally honest here, this guy could rescue a kitten and I'd judge him for it. He could wear a blue shirt and I'd judge him for that, too. It just hit a nerve because of how his sneaky vodka was so damned sneaky that it ended with his baby in the ER and the mother of his child strangled in the backseat of a car.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    I just really hate vodka

If I'm being totally honest here, this guy could rescue a kitten and I'd judge him for it. He could wear a blue shirt and I'd judge him for that, too. It just hit a nerve because of how his sneaky vodka was so damned sneaky that it ended with his baby in the ER and the mother of his child strangled in the backseat of a car.
    Touche.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

And it doesn't say anywhere that he is the baby daddy, only that they share an apartment.

I think he is because the Grandfather is pulling out excuses for the assaulter at why he is just under stress and misunderstood.
    quote:The baby's grandfather said it was all a big misunderstanding.

"It was an honest mistake, and then it led up to a bunch of other things, and he didn't know what to do, and he was scared,” Allen Jones said.

I'm still curious as to how mom didn't smell the vodka though.
    Vodka smells rather strong.
    I fully admit I've not made a ton of formula bottles but wouldn't one notice the smell of vodka?
    I really can't imagine a baby willingly drinking vodka either tbh.

Could've had a cold or even a damaged sense of smell? It happens.

& babies will take just about anything that's stuck in their mouth. Baby paracetamol/ibuprofin liquid tastes bitter & 100% awful but they'll still suck it undiluted out of those dose dummies (pacifiers in U.S I think?)

Also - just watch what a crawling baby or even toddlers & preschoolers will pick up & stick in their mouths. Blah.

One of my kid's cousins managed to poison himself sucking on jacaranda pods ffs (a major reason that side of the family NEVER babysat my kids).
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-11-2015 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Defy Gravity View Post
    I fully admit I've not made a ton of formula bottles but wouldn't one notice the smell of vodka?
    We used the liquid concentrate, which kinda smelled like dog biscuits

I think it would be very easy to just...not notice. You're distracted and rushing cause the baby is crying, the kind of situation where it would be very easy to let your guard down. Maybe you catch a whiff of vodka, but your boyfriend drinks vodka and you wouldn't in a million years think he'd poured it in the water bottle of all places. All that on top of sleep deprivation.

Anyway, the concentrate we used was one part water, one part formula. The baby consumed about 2 ounces of alcohol, so that's 1/4 cup. Which means a total of 1/2 cup of mixed formula. Not a massive amount, but yuuuuuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Defy Gravity View Post
    I've known several people with shockingly bad senses of smell and I could envision either one doing this.

The first one almost burnt down our house because she couldn't smell the pungent, billowing smoke after a polyester skirt fell on top of her blow heater. Luckily other people were at home. The other one is my mother. She's never been able to smell normally and she's notorious for stinking the place up by doing things like feeding cats in her living room.

My partner has literally no sense of smell, wonderful for nappy changes but I think it would be totally possible for him to make a mistake like this, if you normally store water in the bottle, that's exactly what you're going to assume is in it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Do babies really have a sense of taste by one month? Enough to refuse something?

Boozy Daddy should have kept his special "Water Bottles" somewhere else. Period. Like Kevan said, Mom was probably exhausted. Having a one month old probably doesn't leave you sharp as a tack and I CERTAINLY don't think she did it on purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Yeah, I blame the dude in this situation. Legally, vodka is supposed to be as clear and odorless as possible, so with top shelf vodka's, the only smell is the scent of the base alcohol, not the vodka itself. As someone raised by an alcoholic whose booze of choice was vodka, trust me, it's easy to not notice the smell, especially if all you are doing is pouring it into something else, which would then have a smell of it's own, as opposed to taken a swig of it yourself.

Thread Information