Thread: Kathleen Bautista - missing since 5 September 2015 after sending concerning texts

Kathleen Bautista - missing since 5 September 2015 after sending concerning texts

https://www.facebook.com/kat.bautista.58

ACT Policing will ramp up their search for the missing Canberra woman Kathleen Bautista on Wednesday, five days after she was seen leaving a friend's house at Chapman.
    From the water and from the air, officers will continue to comb through bushland eight kilometres west of Black Mountain where signals from the teenager's mobile phone last registered.
    Their latest line of inquiry is to determine what Ms Bautista's movements were on Saturday morning, a police spokesperson said.
    She was last driving a black Hyundai i30 bearing the registration number YHE47L.
    "People may have inadvertently seen her or come across her path," the spokesperson said.
    Police have urged the community to check their dashcams and report any sightings of the teenager.
    On Monday, Detective Sergeant John Giles said text messages the 19-year-old Gordon resident sent to family and friends before she disappeared were of "extreme concern".
    Anyone who may have seen Ms Bautista is urged to call police on 131 444.
    When providing information, please quote reference number 5852227.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...#ixzz3lIXNgZgf
    Follow us: @canberratimes on Twitter | CanberraTimes on Facebook

Wow

A missing teenage girl has been found alive after seven days - and she was found reportedly after her car plunged 15 metres down a steep embankment in remote bushland.

Kathleen Bautista, 19, was located by search and rescue workers around 10.25am on Friday morning, ACT Policing confirmed to Daily Mail Australia.

Extraordinarily, the teenager described by friends as a 'social butterfly' survived by drinking water from the creek her car had eventually landed in, according to an ABC report.

That is amazing! 7 days! I cannot imagine the relief and elation her family and friends would be feeling right now. What an incredible girl.
    Good news is great.

YAY So happy for her and her family she is ok

So she sent texts of "extreme concern" before the crash, or after? If after, surely they indicated she ran off the road? Did the AFP ever make it clear they were looking for a crashed car & not a potential abduction like the recent QLD cases?

Or did something bad happen before she went over (again, like a recent QLD case).
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-10-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    So she sent texts of "extreme concern" before the crash, or after? If after, surely they indicated she ran off the road? Did the AFP ever make it clear they were looking for a crashed car & not a potential abduction like the recent QLD cases?

Or did something bad happen before she went over (again, like a recent QLD case).
    Not necessarily... I suspect that a person trying to text after they had a wreck might well not manage anything coherent.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Finally some good news ~ thank goodness she was found and is okay.

Shit, seven days, while probably being injured (does anyone know if she was trapped in the car, or was able to get out?) is amazing. Fuck Bear Grylls, give this chick a show

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Shit, seven days, while probably being injured (does anyone know if she was trapped in the car, or was able to get out?) is amazing. Fuck Bear Grylls, give this chick a show
    Seriously!!!

Wow, just amazing.

I also wonder if the texts were before or after the accident. And what they said.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/world/australia...ta-found-alive

Detective Sergeant John Giles said text messages Bautista sent to family and friends before she disappeared had been of "extreme concern", and police had been concerned she had attempted to harm herself or had run away.
    This article says she sent them at 11:30am

Ms Bautista sent messages to her boyfriend and her family at about 11:30am on Saturday that gave police cause to be concerned for her welfare.
    As this one said she had a conversation with her boyfriend at 7:30am

"She arrived home to the Chapman address at around 7am, at around 7.30am she had a conversation with her boyfriend and shortly after she left that address and sent some texts to her boyfriend and to her family members," Detective Sergeant Giles said.
    Regardless if this was an accident or not, I hope this girl sees how much she is truly cared about
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

Crazy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Crazy
    Damn, from the look of that, she must have been trapped in the car. That's even more amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Crazy
    Looks like the wattle's already out in Canberra. She would've had mva injuries AND been miserable with hayfever, poor kid.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...14-gjm5t9.html

Many have hailed the discovery of missing Canberra woman Kathleen Bautista after six nights alone and injured in the bush as a miracle. Few realise just how on the money they are.

Police and experts have shed light on the difficulty faced by police in pinpointing Ms Bautista's location based on signals from her mobile phone.

Kathleen Bautista being rescued after spending a week in the bush. Photo: ACT POLICING
    The 19-year-old teaching student was found in the Cotter reserve area, west of Canberra on Friday morning.

For days, emergency services crews had combed bushland near Lower Molonglo Nature Reserve, up to 20 kilometres away, based on signals between her mobile phone and the Black Mountain tower.

ACT Policing major crime leader (security intelligence) Ivan Naspe said police initially pinpointed signals between the phone and Black Mountain Tower.

The scene where Kathleen Bautista's car was found. Photo: ACT POLICING

But further analysis of telecommunications records*revealed Isaacs Ridge as a second tower, allowing police to cross-check the information and further define the search area.

"The information from mobile phone towers can be unreliable and is used as a guide only," Sergeant Naspe said.

"In this case our guide indicated*it was in the vicinity of the Black Mountain Tower.

Despite leg and abdominal injuries from the crash, 19-year-old Kathleen Bautista climbed at least 100 metres uphill after escaping her upturned car in the Cotter reserve area, west of Canberra.
    "We scrutinised the information further and identified another tower [Isaacs Ridge]. The further*intelligence*enabled us to cross-check the*information already at hand ... against the Black Mountain tower*ping."

That led search parties to home in on Settlement Road, where the teenager had crash her car almost a week earlier.

Navid Sobbi, managing director of National Surveillance and Intelligence, said every mobile phone is in constant communication with surrounding towers, even when it's on standby.

Kathleen Bautista was missing for six days before being found. Photo: Supplied
    Through telecommunications providers, law enforcement can use a phone number or IMEI [International Mobile Equipment Identity] to "ping" the device, he said.

"When they ping the device, it basically sends a command through the network and tries to locate a device between particular cell towers. To locate the device, they'll need a minimum of three cell towers and it will give them an approximate location," Mr Sobbi said.

The accuracy of the location depends on the number of towers in the vicinity.

"The more cell [towers] there are, the more accurate it will be. To triangulate you need a minimum of three [towers] to get it down to a 50 to 100-metre radius. If it's a more built up area, you'll get a more accurate reading, down to even 20 metres or 10 metres," he said.

This technique is called multilateration, according to Macquarie University Adjunct Professor Clive Williams, and it can be problematic.

"As you get further away into the countryside then there are fewer towers so the process is less accurate," he said.

"The actual process of multilateration may take a while because you have to go through a lot of data to be able to determine the phone signals and you may have to do it with multiple towers."

Mr Sobbi said the time elapsed, the distance of the towers and the probability that her phone was dead further stacked the odds against finding Ms Bautista alive.

"Almost 99 per cent of all the phones out there have a lithium watch battery installed inside so if the phone batteries have died for the next half an hour to an hour they can still ping the device," Mr Sobbi said.

"Law enforcement would need to act rather quickly when someone goes missing. If that's one of the first ports of call then that needs to be acted upon very quickly because they don't know how long the battery would last."

Professor Williams said Ms Bautista's story drove home the importance of carrying a mobile phone and raised questions about the powers afforded to law enforcement when lives are at stake.

"It does argue the case for having better systems to locate someone when it's an emergency," he said.

"If there's a bone fide reason for people to know where you are then the process should be streamlined. Particularly if the person could be injured."
    (For the non-Australians, that yellow stuff is the reason Australian olympic colours are green & gold)
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-16-2015 at 03:34 AM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Maybe it was the texting that caused the accident. She was obviously upset about something. So either texting caused the accident or it was a suicide attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Maybe it was the texting that caused the accident. She was obviously upset about something. So either texting caused the accident or it was a suicide attempt.
    Or it was an accident

Wow. Pretty gal. If she was suicidal before, I can't imagine she is now after being trapped in a car dying for a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

The teenage girl who was found alive six days after a car crash left her stranded in remote bushland revealed that the experience was incredibly 'stressful' and her focus is on recovering from her injuries.
    Kathleen Bautista, 19, was located by search and rescue workers on September 10 in the Cotter reserve area in Canberra's west, with leg and abdomen injuries.
    'I’ve been under a lot of stress lately and this experience has enabled me to take time to centre myself, be with family and loved ones, and focus on getting well and receiving the care that I need at the moment,' Ms Bautista shared in a statement.
    'Since I was found in the Cotter reserve area I have been in hospital recovering and reflecting on how lucky I am to be alive.
    'There will be no one on one interviews, my only priority is my recovery and well-being.'
    'To the community and my close friends who gave out fliers and who offered support to my family, I say thank you.
    'You wrapped your arms around my family at a time of need. Thank you all so very much for your enormous love, support and prayers. You guys rock!'
    Ms Baustista praised the hard work of emergency services, ACT police, ambulance and parks and conservation, dubbing them her 'heroes.'
    The teenager also released a smiling snap of herself with her father Ronnije as she continues to recover in hospital.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3mRTbLXwj
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Kathleen in the "hospital" after the crash

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    ^^Thought that was her mom at first.

Late to the party, but I'm hella glad she was found, and is doing well.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    She does look happy and healthy in that picture. I'm happy for her that she was found and is recovering.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    ^^Thought that was her mom at first.

Late to the party, but I'm hella glad she was found, and is doing well.
    Whew...glad I wasn't the only one who thought that was her mom.

Thread Information