Thread: Boy suffers brain damage from Terminix treatment

Boy suffers brain damage from Terminix treatment

http://www.wpbf.com/news/10yearold-b...nting/35088992

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has issued a Stop Work Order prohibiting Sunland Pest Control from conducting any fumigations at this time.

This comes after a Palm City boy suffered brain damage after termite fumigation at his Palm City Home.

"We are aware of the tragic and heartbreaking incident involving Peyton, and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is investigating Sunland Pest Control in collaboration with the EPA and the Department of Health," the department said in a statement late Friday afternoon.

Peyton McCaughey turned 10 Thursday in Miami Children's Hospital, barely able to turn his head, unable to stand up or talk.

His family said the boy has suffered brain damage after termite fumigation on their house.
    They said the whole family began vomiting the night of Aug. 16, after a Terminix subcontractor told them it was safe to go back in their house that had been tented for termites.

But while the parents and their 7-year-old daughter recovered, Peyton got worse.

"He was having uncontrollable muscle movements, couldn't stand up, couldn't speak so they took him to local walk-in clinic and the doctor quickly recognized it was probably poisoning from a (fumigation) treatment," said Peyton's uncle Ed Gribben.

The little boy with the big personality and love for sports was in ICU for weeks. Gribben said he has brain damage, and will likely never fully recover.

The family has retained a lawyer because they said Terminix has not responded to their questions about what happened.

"And based on all the facts we have in our investigation, the chemicals utilized in the fumigation have poisoned this little boy," said lawyer Bill Williams.

A Terminix spokesman released this statement: "We are saddened to learn of this and our hearts are with the family. We are carefully reviewing the matter."

The McCaughey's want answers though, and most of all, they want their Peyton to recover and come back home.

"Life as he's known it has been stolen from him. It's not going to be the same," said Gribben.

Gribben has set up a Go Fund Me account to help his sister Lori, who is assistant principal at Martin County High School, and her husband Carl, who will be out of work for weeks, while they stay with Peyton in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

How horrible! Poor kid

Here is the gofundme http://www.gofundme.com/f338ndn8

And a fb support page https://m.facebook.com/PeytonRecover...le.com%2F&_rdr
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

This is terrible

I read about this same thing happening to a family vacationing abroad. The husband and children didn't recover and couldn't move from the neck down but the wife recovered.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I remember that. Some fancy resort if I remember correctly.

I had a pest control service for a while for ants...tiny almost microscopic ants. I wouldn't let him spray in the house, but wanted him to treat the foundation and yard. He offered to drink his chemical concoction to prove it was safe. I said no, I'm good. I just don't want the chemicals in the house with my kids and pets. Spraying the outside was very effective.

If I had termites, I would just make sure the house burned down while we were at the store..lol

Wasn't it down in St. Thomas or somewhere in the Caribbean?

ETA: is this the one you guys were thinking of?
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=30108179
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 09-05-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Wasn't it down in St. Thomas or somewhere in the Caribbean?

ETA: is this the one you guys were thinking of?
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=30108179
    Yep. What a coincidence Terminex was involved with that case too.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Funnily they had this update on CNN this week:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/us/vir...ion/index.html

As two Delaware teens recovering from pesticide poisoning struggle to eat, walk and sit up on their own, an investigation into what went wrong highlights failures on several levels, including lax oversight and a history of corruption at the U.S. Virgin Islands government agency in charge of exterminators.

The teens and their parents fell gravely ill and suffered seizures during a March vacation to St. John. The family was exposed to methyl bromide, a restricted-use pesticide. Recovery from their nerve damage has been slow and agonizing for the whole family, but it's been the worst for the boys. The brothers were in medically induced comas for weeks. They are now conscious, family attorney James Maron said, but they are barely able to move.

Six months after the horrifying incident, their father, Steve Esmond, is slowly getting better as well, but suffers from severe tremors, struggles to speak and can't turn the pages of a book, Maron said.

"Neurologically, it's like being in a torture chamber," Maron said.

Esmond and his boys are mentally "strong as an ox" and "100% cognizant," but they are trapped in bodies badly damaged by the nerve agent, Maron said.

Prior to the incident, the boys were athletic stars at their schools. The older brother had big prospects playing lacrosse and was already touring colleges.

Their mother, Teresa Devine, had less exposure to the toxic gas than the rest of the family and has made the strongest recovery, but she spends her days and nights keeping vigil over her boys.

What is methyl bromide?

Methyl bromide is a restricted-use pesticide that the U.S. EPA has considered "highly toxic" for more than two decades. Inhalation of methyl bromide, even short-term, can cause severe lung damage, while long-term inhalation can lead to "neurological effects." Studies on lab animals caused degenerative lesions in the nasal cavity and had effects on the testicles of male animals.

"They're extreme fighters, and that's why they're hanging on," Maron said.

The family was on vacation at the Sirenusa resort on St. John when two employees of the local Terminix fumigated the villa below theirs March 18 with methyl bromide, even though it is not approved for residential use. After the family became ill, the Environmental Protection Agency found traces of the lethal gas in their villa.

The exposure was so significant inside the treated unit that 6 weeks after the family fell ill, dangerous amounts of methyl bromide were still being detected inside the rental villa, according to EPA documents.

Methyl bromide is incredibly toxic to humans, said Dr. Reynold Panettieri Jr., the deputy director for the Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology.

"I would say the prognosis, at best, is guarded," said Panettieri, who has not personally treated the family. "As we know the victims have been off ventilators and they've been improved. But if that dose, even though it appeared to be acute, was over (a period of) hours, the damage to the nerves and to the brain itself may render it irreversibly damaged."

Maron said Terminix has agreed to enter mediation, done by Ken Feinberg, who negotiated the settlements for the victims of the September 11 attacks. Mediation begins September 28.

..........continued at link............

Damn. This is so preventable.
    This is down right terrifying.

So no update in this case, but Terminix has to pay in the other case from St. John

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...family-n547566

Terminix to Pay $10 Million for Using Banned Pesticide That Sickened Family

A year after a family of four was sickened following a fumigation at a U.S. Virgin Islands resort, Terminix agreed Tuesday to pay $10 million in fines and restitution for using a pesticide that's been banned for more than 30 years, federal authorities said.

Stephen Esmond, Theresa Devine and their two teenage sons were exposed to methyl bromide in March 2015 when a local Terminix office fumigated the unit below theirs while they were on vacation on the Virgin Islands resort of St. John. The Environmental Protection Agency banned methyl bromide — a highly poisonous, odorless gas — for residential use in 1984.

According to documents filed in U.S. District Court in St. Thomas, Terminix "knowingly" applied fumigants including methyl bromide at the Sirenusa resort in St. John in October 2014 and in March 2015, when the Esmond family was visiting.

The gas made its way to the Esmonds' unit, seriously injuring all four members of the Delaware family, the documents say.

Terminix was also charged with using the banned pesticide in 12 residential units in St. Croix and another in St. Thomas from September 2012 to February 2015.

Terminix and its local subsidiary pleaded guilty to four counts of violating the federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act and agreed to pay $8 million in fines, $1 million in restitution to the EPA for clean-up costs and $1 million to fund community service projects in the Virgin Islands, according to the plea agreement, which must still be approved by a federal judge.

"When you break a law that protects public health, there are real victims and real consequences, as this case tragically shows," Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator of the EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance, said in a statement Tuesday.

Terminix said Tuesday evening that it was still drafting a public statement.

I wonder how that family is doing.

Originally posted by animosity:

Hmu next time, we'll have some soapy gins and then draw each other naked. Until we get kicked out.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I actually thought about them the other day and was wondering how they were doing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout

Terminix fined $9.2M for pesticide that poisoned family

Terminix will pay $9.2 million in criminal fines tied to the company's use of a banned pesticide that nearly killed a Delaware family vacationing in the Caribbean in March 2015, according to the federal Justice Department.

The company was sentenced Monday, two years after the Esmond family fell ill. Federal prosecutors said Memphis-based Terminix admitted to using a pesticide called methyl bromide at 14 locations — including at the Sirenusa condominium resort in St. John, Virgin Islands, where the Esmonds were vacationing.

“An entire family suffered horrendous and life-altering injuries. We will continue to aggressively enforce environmental laws to help prevent something like this from ever happening again,” Joycelyn Hewlett, attorney for the District of the Virgin Islands, said in a news release.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency has banned the pesticide, which is odorless and can severely damage the central nervous and respiratory systems, for residential use since 1984. Methyl bromide is effective against powderpost beetles, which destroy wood similarly to termites and are prevalent on the islands.
    Terminix will pay $8 million in fines and $1 million in restitution to the Environmental Protection Agency for response and clean-up costs at the St. John resort, according to the Justice Department. The plea agreement initially was revealed in the 2016 annual report of Memphis-based ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV), Terminix's parent company, and in January could have cost the company up to $10 million.

Terminix also will perform community service related to training commercial pesticide applicators in fumigation practices and create a separate health services training program, prosecutors said.

Almost a year ago, the U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Justice filed a civil suit against Terminix in Virgin Islands Superior Court, and ServiceMaster in its annual report said it has not yet recorded any charges in that case.

It is unclear how much the Esmonds have received from the company. The sentencing announcement said "full restitution" had been made to the family.

Financial filings from Terminix's parent company last year suggested a settlement nearing $90 million was in the works. Attempts to reach Esmond family were unsuccessful.

9 million just doesn't seem like enough. I'm sure the family is going to continuously need to see a doctor ( for now on ) and w a whole family that would suck that amount up in no time. I really thought it would be way more.
    Poor ppl. Hopefully the pain ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Rivers View Post
    9 million just doesn't seem like enough. I'm sure the family is going to continuously need to see a doctor ( for now on ) and w a whole family that would suck that amount up in no time. I really thought it would be way more.
    Poor ppl. Hopefully the pain ends.
    I think that was just the EPA fines/penalties & the family's case is yet to be decided?

I wonder how it'll go for the ones who were poisoned on St John? Like, will they be suing the parent company or a subsidiary on the island - because if it's a subsidiary, it might've taken a pretty big hit after the hurricane

Also, I missed all of these cases. They're fucking terrifying.

I've always refused to use any kind of pesticide because I like having frogs, lizards & interesting bugs around my yard - we even found a teddy bear bee burrow the other day & that would never have happened with pesticide sprayed everywhere.

But it never occurred to me they could be spraying shit that's so fucking dangerous to larger animals & humans. So I don't care how much bigger the spiders get, I'm still staying the fuck away from pest exterminators - & now I really hope all my neighbours do too

I feel like this thread has become more about the Virgin Islands case as opposed to the Florida one, but I wanted to post this update.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14/us/vi...ent/index.html

Terminix employee indicted in family's pesticide poisoning
    A Terminix employee has been charged in relation to 2015 pesticide use at a US Virgin Islands resort that left a Delaware family gravely ill.

Jose Rivera was indicted Thursday by a federal grand jury for allegedly violating the federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act.

The indictment says Rivera used fumigants containing methyl bromide in multiple locations in the Virgin Islands, including the St. John resort where the family that became ill was staying in March 2015.

Methyl bromide can cause serious health problems, including central nervous system and respiratory system damage, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

The EPA banned indoor use of methyl bromide in 1984.

The indictment alleges Rivera knowingly applied banned fumigants at the Sirenusa resort in St. John in October 2014 and March 2015. Prosecutors said Rivera also applied restricted-use pesticide in eight residential units in St. Croix and one unit in St. Thomas between April 2013 and February 2015.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I was going to have my house sprayed for ants. I'll pass.
    I never shed a tear when confederates are mauled. Personal policy.
    animosity

Thread Information