Thread: Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson (61) died after a 17 year battle with cancer

Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson (61) died after a 17 year battle with cancer

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-18-2022 at 03:41 PM.

30 years ago I fell in love with a voice.

There was this song that kept playing on the radio. It was from a movie with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere which I still haven't seen, but I bought the soundtrack. That powerful female voice belonged to one half of a power pop duo that would become the first band that I ever considered myself a true fan of. Way back then, I was listening to whatever garbage they shoved down my throat on the radio, and just accepting that that was what I was supposed to be listening to. But in the midst of all of that noise, all of that Milli Vanilli-Hammer-Ice nonsense that was the popular thing, there was this voice. This expressive, beautiful voice that sucked me in.

I don't know how many times over the years I've listened to Look Sharp and Joyride. Hundreds? Thousands? Not to mention those mostly unheard of gems called Pearls of Passion and Tourism.

Even when my musical taste changed and I gravitated towards louder, heavier music, Roxette was one band that I never left behind. I bought each album with enthusiasm, and was never disappointed. For the last 30 years, that band has never once left my regular rotation.

I never got to see them live. There was never the opportunity. They had their popularity for a few years, and then faded from the spotlight by the time I was self-sufficient enough to buy my own concert tickets. Their final tour didn't make it anywhere near me. But the live album that they mad eon that tour is a thing of beauty, and I must have listened to it three times yesterday. On my way to work, on my way home, during my shift. Heck, I probably listened to about 90% of their music yesterday. I think Per would like that.

I am a Roxette fan, I have been a Roxette fan for the majority of my life and I will always be a Roxette fan. The news of Marie's passing was not shocking - she'd been fighting this for almost two decades - but it was sad. This voice that had been such a big part of my life for the past three decades was silenced. A part of my youth died with her.

Rest in Peace, Marie. You were cherished.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

You made me sniffle a bit, Nomad.

You need to watch Pretty Woman and see how that beautiful song fits perfectly into the movie.

RIP Marie
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Thread Information