Thread: Caitlin Walsh (27) was stabbed to death

Caitlin Walsh (27) was stabbed to death

The man charged in the killing of 27-year-old Caitlin Walsh kept her body in his Main Street apartment for five days after he stabbed her multiple times, Lawrence County State?s Attorney John Fitzgerald said Thursday.

?I believe she died on Aug. 12, 2015,? Fitzgerald said, a day after an autopsy was performed on Walsh. Her body was discovered Aug. 17 in an apartment at 8 N. Galena St., in Lead. Law officers subsequently arrested James Lewis Rogers Jr., 44, on suspicion of first-degree murder.

Court documents divulged how the grisly discovery of the woman?s body came to pass this week. Just before 4:30 p.m. Monday, Lead Police Chief John Wainman was advised by a resident of a possible homicide at that address.

?According to Chief Wainman, the reporting party stated that the male subject who lives in apartment 303 had made the statement that he had killed his girlfriend,? said an affidavit of probable cause for a warrantless arrest filed with the Lawrence County Clerk of Courts Office. ?Once Chief Wainman and Lead Police Officer Jandt arrived at 8 N. Galena St., Apartment 303, they heard crying sounds coming from inside the apartment.?

As Chief Wainman was attempting to force open the door to the apartment, James Lewis Rogers Jr. opened the door, court documents stated.

?According to Chief Wainman he asked Rogers what he had done, to which Rogers replied, `Something really bad.??

Wainman then entered the apartment to search for anyone else who might be there.

?Chief Wainman stated once he entered the bedroom, he noticed a strong odor of decomposition along with what he believed to be dried blood on the floor,? the affidavit stated. After Walsh?s body was discovered, Rogers was detained, the apartment was secured and Rogers was taken to the Lawrence County Sheriff?s Office and later jailed.

State?s Attorney Fitzgerald said that next Wednesday, in a closed grand jury hearing, he would present evidence against Rogers, seeking an indictment on the first-degree murder charge. If convicted, Rogers could face either the death penalty or life in prison without parole, and no lesser sentence may be given, Fitzgerald said.

Citing ?ethical constraints on prosecuting attorneys,? Fitzgerald declined to characterize the relationship between Rogers and Walsh, and had no comment when asked if Rogers had had previous contact with law enforcement.

?If there is too much pretrial publicity and too many facts become public, there is a chance the defendant would ask that the trial be moved to a different venue, which would be an increased cost to taxpayers,? Fitzgerald said when asked to elaborate.

Rogers worked at Lynn?s Dakotamart in Lead, just a few blocks from his apartment, an employee who answered the phone at Lynn's acknowledged. Lynn?s Manager Chris Murray was on vacation and unavailable for comment Thursday, and the employee who answered the phone said she was unable to provide any insights about the man now jailed on suspicion of murder.

?We?ve already been given strict orders not to talk if anybody calls, so that?s the route I?m going to take,? the employee said before hanging up.

Property manager Dena Sheets, who rented Apartment 308 to Rogers, said he had lived there for more than two years. She said Rogers was a ?happy-go-lucky? tenant who loved to cook.

?I didn?t see this coming at all,? Sheets said.

The 5-foot-11, 215-pound Rogers has a Facebook account with photos showing a man with an affinity for knives. In one, he smilingly holds a large hunting knife to the neck of an unidentified man.

Meanwhile, a boyfriend of Walsh's said on Thursday that the young woman was battling drug addiction and likely ?hooked up with the wrong person in that town.?

?I had been seeing Caitlin for the last couple weeks,? Ty Shepherd said in a phone interview from Morgantown, W.Va., to which he recently moved. ?We became good friends, and she told me she was on drugs and had been for quite awhile. What kind of drugs I have no idea. Every day I told her, `You need to stay away from that,? and every day I told her, `Jesus loves you.??

Shepherd described Walsh as a thin, attractive brunette whom anyone would be happy to have as a friend.

?She was a very gentle, timid person,? Shepherd said.

As he prepared to move from Deadwood to West Virginia last week, Shepherd said he waited for Walsh to return to her apartment. But she never showed up.

?It wasn?t like her to not come home for two days,? he said, noting she had paid her rent the day before she disappeared. ?I knew something was wrong. I prayed for days and days. I knew something had happened last Friday night before I left town.

?I left her a note and a paper rose,? Shepherd added sadly. ?I feel so bad.?

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/loc...b419b0f8d.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post

I had been seeing Caitlin for the last couple weeks, Ty Shepherd said in a phone interview from Morgantown, W.Va., to which he recently moved. We became good friends, and she told me she was on drugs and had been for quite awhile. What kind of drugs I have no idea. Every day I told her, `You need to stay away from that, and every day I told her, `Jesus loves you.

Shepherd described Walsh as a thin, attractive brunette whom anyone would be happy to have as a friend.

She was a very gentle, timid person, Shepherd said.

As he prepared to move from Deadwood to West Virginia last week, Shepherd said he waited for Walsh to return to her apartment. But she never showed up.

?It wasn?t like her to not come home for two days,? he said, noting she had paid her rent the day before she disappeared. ?I knew something was wrong. I prayed for days and days. I knew something had happened last Friday night before I left town.

?I left her a note and a paper rose, Shepherd added sadly. I feel so bad.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/loc...b419b0f8d.html
    Well if that's not enough to get an addict to stop doing drugs, I don't know what is.

Poor girl, seems she was attracted to massive douche-lords

Her facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/caitlin.walsh.794?fref=ts

Here's James. I noticed he married a woman and I clicked her site. She just turned 18.
    https://www.facebook.com/james.l.rogers.9

LEAD | Caitlin Walsh, 27, passed away Aug. 12, 2015, into the loving arms of her grandparents.

Caitlin Kelly Walsh was born on Dec. 28, 1987, in Casper, WY.

Caitlin was a wonderful, loving soul who lived life to the fullest. Although Caitlin had her troubles, she is now at peace and flying with the butterflies.

Caitlin is survived by parents, Laurie Adkins and Shane Heydon, Lead, and Kevin and Jacinta Walsh, Billings, MT; sister, Meghan (Jonathan) LaCroix and nieces, Kennedi and Limerick LaCroix; along with numerous people that loved her very much.

A Celebration of her Life will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 29, at the Deadwood Gulch Gaming Resort Convention Center with reception to follow.

A memorial has been established to benefit Women in Crisis.

Arrangements are under the care of the Lead-Deadwood Memorial Chapel in Lead. Online condolences may be written at fidler-isburgfuneralchapels.com.
    http://rapidcityjournal.com/obits/wa...1399edab1.html

Last edited by bermstalker; 08-23-2015 at 01:53 AM.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    So sad.

Lawrence County State's Attorney John Fitzgerald Tuesday said he will not seek the death penalty in a Lead murder case.ja
    More from KOTA Territory

John Lewis Rogers Jr., 44, is accused of beating and stabbing Caitlin Walsh in August and allegedly hiding her body for five days at his downtown apartment.

Police say Rogers at the scene admitted to killing Walsh.

He later pleaded not guilty to the murder and will ask the judge to block some evidence and information at a November court hearing.

If convicted, Rogers faces a mandatory life sentence.
    http://www.kotatv.com/news/south-dak...-case/35684994
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Lawrence County State's Attorney John Fitzgerald Tuesday said he will not seek the death penalty in a Lead murder case.ja
    More from KOTA Territory

John Lewis Rogers Jr., 44, is accused of beating and stabbing Caitlin Walsh in August and allegedly hiding her body for five days at his downtown apartment.

Police say Rogers at the scene admitted to killing Walsh.

He later pleaded not guilty to the murder and will ask the judge to block some evidence and information at a November court hearing.

If convicted, Rogers faces a mandatory life sentence.
    http://www.kotatv.com/news/south-dak...-case/35684994
    Why not pursuing the death penalty, I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Why not pursuing the death penalty, I wonder
    We don't often do the death penalty here in South Dakota. Generally has to involve torture or something really heinous. We are however, good at locking folks up and throwing away the key...

We don't often do the death penalty here in South Dakota. Generally has to involve torture or something really heinous. We are however, good at locking folks up and throwing away the key...
    You mean you guys dish out frontier justice in the Dakotas?

https://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news...a4bcb2c99.html

James Lewis Rogers, Jr., will spend the rest of his life in the South Dakota State Penitentiary with no hope for parole. A jury of 12 of his peers decided Wednesday afternoon that he was guilty of murder in the first degree in the brutal Aug. 12 slaying of 27-year-old Caitlin Walsh.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-18-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Thread Information