Thread: Courtney Harris (28) took her own life

Courtney Harris (28) took her own life

So I saw this one on the Camilla FB page but can't find much else yet. I think suicide as people are asking what happened and nobody is answering

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2015...k_her_own_life
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I found this message from one of her friends:

Waking up to the reality that this isn't a dream that my best mate isn't coming back is so hard. Please ask more questions to your friends than just how you doing. If anyone ever needs to talk please call or write to me anytime you need I'm not just saying that. Remember mental illness isn't you it's a disease. I love you court forever with me. Courtney Harris RIP X

https://www.facebook.com/jack.neate?hc_location=ufi

Rip Courtney, so sad

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly-Jane View Post
    Rip Courtney, so sad
    I agree. Beautiful spirit.

I spent ages looking over this last night. I really want to know more. These were her last two instagram posts, from just before she died. Dead/dying roses?

Her business seemed to be pretty up-and-coming. Miranda Kerr, Lily Allen etc all spotted wearing her jewellery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful woman .... sad, we often think the beautiful people have it all don't we?

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    She seemed like a sweet soul. Depression affects everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

1400 views. Lots of people looking.

Just an update, a page for donations has been set up in Courtney's memory through Black Dog Institute, which focuses on research on mental illness, suicide prevention, etc.

https://black-dog-commemorate.everyd...ourtney-harris

She was obviously very much loved and perhaps by posting the link here some of those who are viewing the page will decide to donate to the site.

A BEAUTIFUL Sydney girl ? with everything to live for ? died last week, by her own hand. In the week since the tragic death of jewellery designer Courtney Harris, her friends and family have been at a loss to understand what could have driven the gorgeous, spirited, popular woman to such despair.

Those who knew her well have found no answer that can satisfy them or bring them peace. People who knew her less well ? glimpsing her through the warped window of her social media accounts ? cannot fathom what might have motivated a young, talented, healthy woman to end a life that looked worth envying.

Like much of her generation, Courtney was a social media user.

The pretty blonde posted to Instagram sunny shots of *herself out on the town with friends, among them Australia?s Next Top Model winners Tahnee Atkinson and *Montana Cox.

Shots of perfect days ? made more perfect with the application of photographic filters ? of Courtney hiking with girlfriends, of her with her head thrown back laughing as she celebrates milestone events with family, of rainbows, the view at Icebergs Bondi, and always, always, her big, handsome red dog.

But social media can be a fantasy place where users frequently go to ?reimagine?? their lives ? to put on rose coloured glasses and publish a handful of life?s most idealised moments ? though the young who use it can barely understand this as they edit and re-edit images of themselves to suggest a prettier jawline, an impossibly sunny day, a crazy indulgent holiday experience.

Courtney, a talented jewellery designer whose creations have been worn by the likes of Miranda Kerr, James Blunt, Daniel Johns and Lily Allen, may not have succumbed to the belief that social media accurately depicts real life, but what has become clear in the days since her death is that some of her friends thought it did.

This week as her grief-stricken friends and associates headed to online pinboards and social media to puzzle over Courtney?s senseless death, others have struggled to reconcile her death with the joyful images she published to social media. On her Facebook *account she posted about a search for a housemate.

On July 15 she wrote: ?Anyone looking for a room in Bondi for summer PM me ($350, 100m from beach).?

Remember mental illness isn?t you, it?s a disease. I love you Court. Forever with me.

She seemed to be making summer plans, if not looking for someone to help financially subsidise what Sydneysiders know is an expensive life. In April the motivated, hard working designer looked to be on a high after having her jewellery collection, Angle Diamond Dot, featured on the runway in the Bec and Bridge Mercedes Benz Fashion Week collection.

Wasn?t life good? Great even? Apparently not, begging the question, should there be more warnings on social media?

Would a note ? ?Social media may not accurately portray the lives of those who use it ? don?t be deceived by what you see ? this is a platform for publicity? ? help users remember much of it is artifice?

It would surely make life easier for young, social media savvy generations who believe a life can look as Miranda Kerr?s does ? *impossibly perfect, work and stress free.

For who turns to their social media accounts to capture the low moments, the tears, the ugliness and frustrations ? the blue days?

No one.

Tahnee Atkinson was among those to this week pay tribute to Courtney.

Posting a shot of the former Brisbane girl with her beloved dog, she posted: ?An angel looked around her garden and found an empty place. She then looked down upon this earth, and saw your tired face. She put her arms around you and lifted you to rest. Her *garden must be beautiful. She always takes the best.?

Another soberly posted: ?Waking up to the reality that this isn?t a dream ? that my best mate isn?t coming back is so hard. Please ask more questions to your friends than just how you doing. If anyone ever needs to talk please call or write to me anytime you need I?m not just saying that. Remember mental illness isn?t you, it?s a disease. I love you Court. Forever with me. Courtney Harris RIP X?.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1227493856381

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    What bugs me about that article is that it even mentions mental illness within a post from her friend, but instead of examining that angle they decide to over-examine the social media aspect of her life.

At first I was on board where people who are otherwise silently suffering will use social media to create an ideal version of themselves. That I think is true of just about everyone. But then it doesn't even mention what people with depression feel like. That no matter how ideal someone's life is (or seems) that nothing matches a low caused by a chemical imbalance. That people become irrational.

Yeah.... That bugs me. Even when the subject is front and center people choose to ignore it
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

The creative industry can be so hard on people with depression. No matter how successful you become, you can never meet your own standards.

Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodMacNCheese View Post
    The creative industry can be so hard on people with depression. No matter how successful you become, you can never meet your own standards.
    I Agree. Plus there is always the rejection side as well, although in this case her career seemed to be taking off.

I ran a gallery for awhile, now I knew what my market was and it was soul destroying when I would get amazingly talented artists in whose work I knew I would struggle to sell, because it didn't fit what the main customer base wanted on their walls. I always stressed to them just how good I thought their work was and would point them in the direction of galleries whose customers were more in to their kind of Art. I hope that helped in some way.

I've just lost someone I knew to suicide, who on the face of it looked to have had an ideal life. Unfortunately he had suffered with mental health and addiction issues for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I Agree. Plus there is always the rejection side as well, although in this case her career seemed to be taking off.

I ran a gallery for awhile, now I knew what my market was and it was soul destroying when I would get amazingly talented artists in whose work I knew I would struggle to sell, because it didn't fit what the main customer base wanted on their walls. I always stressed to them just how good I thought their work was and would point them in the direction of galleries whose customers were more in to their kind of Art. I hope that helped in some way.

I've just lost someone I knew to suicide, who on the face of it looked to have had an ideal life. Unfortunately he had suffered with mental health and addiction issues for years.
    Even without outright rejection, getting to the top you realize you're just surrounded by cutthroat assholes. Especially in the fashion industry... and your work is never done. Once you get to the next level in your career, you just have to work harder, better, and smarter to stay there. I was the most depressed I'd ever been after I became mildly successful in my career.

Also, very sorry for your loss Gemini. Depression is such a monster.

Wayback Machine from 08/01/2015. There are 3 or 4 pics that "Slideshow" on there:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150801...iamonddot.com/
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    What bugs me about that article is that it even mentions mental illness within a post from her friend, but instead of examining that angle they decide to over-examine the social media aspect of her life.

At first I was on board where people who are otherwise silently suffering will use social media to create an ideal version of themselves. That I think is true of just about everyone. But then it doesn't even mention what people with depression feel like. That no matter how ideal someone's life is (or seems) that nothing matches a low caused by a chemical imbalance. That people become irrational.

Yeah.... That bugs me. Even when the subject is front and center people choose to ignore it
    It really bugs me too, Boston Babe. They truly had a great opportunity to send a message about depression and how it destroys the lives of persons. However, they thought it was best to capitalize on her glamorous life, her social media persona...not on her. Their focus was on her seemingly "perfect" life. It is a shame that the real message was not conveyed when it truly could have been.

RIP Courtney.

Her personal instagram - https://instagram.com/_court_harris/

Her dog's instagram - https://instagram.com/__hunter__harris/

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Just an update, a page for donations has been set up in Courtney's memory through Black Dog Institute, which focuses on research on mental illness, suicide prevention, etc.

https://black-dog-commemorate.everyd...ourtney-harris

She was obviously very much loved and perhaps by posting the link here some of those who are viewing the page will decide to donate to the site.
    They have raised 65k in her memory - that's phenomenal!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    YES! This, x1000! And the chemical imbalance is something that so many don't realize/understand. The sickness inside is just as real as a broken leg, burn, etc. that can actually be seen from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    They have raised 65k in her memory - that's phenomenal!
    That is awesome!! I hope the donations continue to pour in.

A Brisbane woman who recently lost her sister to a long battle with depression has spoken out about 'major flaws' in the Australian mental health system.

Taylor Clifford is still grieving the loss of her sister Courtney Harris, 28, who tragically took her own life in August after suffering with depression and anxiety for 12 years.

Having spent the past few weeks trying to come to terms with the loss, Mrs Clifford has opened up about her sister's struggles and the issues they faced with the system.

Speaking to Triple J's Hack on Tuesday, Mrs Clifford said her sister 'tried really hard to mask' and 'overcome her illness', referring to her as a 'successful, high-functioning, creative jewellery designer' boasting clients including Kate Hudson and Miranda Kerr.

'She'd built a public profile that seemingly projected a perfect life.'

But Ms Harris' reality was made up of extreme and debilitating mood swings, periods of deep depression and multiple suicide attempts.

'I'd be at work and have to take a call outside,' Mrs Clifford said, 'it would be Courts calling from Sydney saying she was really bad and she didn't know what to do and she thought about death 99 per cent of each day.'

'The first suicide attempt we were aware of was in 2012 when she took an overdose but she told us she had tried it before.'

But despite years of hospital stints, psychologists, psychiatrists and constant fear from family and friends, the young Bondi local took her life following a recent diagnosis of Bipolar ll.

'She was diagnosed with depression and put on medication - but a previous attempt is the biggest risk factor,' Mrs Clifford said.

'She would say "the only reason I'm still alive is for you and Mum" and "you have to let me go" and I would tell her it won't be better because you won't be here and Mum and I won't be able to live without you - but in the end that didn't keep her here.'

Mrs Clifford says people 'fall through the cracks when they are discharged after a suicide attempt' and that while her sister was seeing a psychiatrist once a week, she resisted because she was 'worn out and embarrassed' and 'sick of telling her story to new doctors' all the time.

'The current approach to treating serious mental health problems and illness is so inadequate and so unrealistic - for someone who has attempted to take their life multiple times before, that system is not a system. It's broken,' Mrs Clifford said.

With The Black Dog Institute revealing over 2,500 Australians are dying by suicide attempts each year and more than 60,000 making an attempt, they are urging the government to implement a new evidence-based approach to prevention.

'We estimate this solution will reduce the Australian suicide rate by at least 20 per cent in just a few years,' the Institute wrote.

Mrs Clifford has started a fund in her sister's name to raise money for the Black Dog Institute, and has since raised over $64,500.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz3tDWW2hnV
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This is both heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time (if that makes sense). I applaud Taylor for speaking out and being honest about the struggles her beloved sister had to endure. Just having a face for something like this can make such a difference and I hope more awareness arises from such a terrible tragedy.

This hurts my heart, as I am going through it with my twin sister. She is and has been depressed for years, but I didn't realize how bad it was until recently when she told me "I wish I didn't have the few people who care about me in my life, because I can't kill myself, it would be selfish of me." Her depression got worse when she recently lost her job after working there for over 12 years, said the one thing she had that made her feel like she had a purpose was her job and now that's gone. I feel like with me being married and our younger sister being married...and my twin not getting over her ex from their breakup 7 years ago (not to mention she is 32 and living with my dad) she feels like we all have someone and she doesn't....she even tried to see someone, went all the way there and they turned her away because she had no more health insurance since she lost her job.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on in this thread, it just reminded me of her when I read Courtney's sister's words. My heart breaks for her and their family

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Nic b - so sorry for what you and your family are going through. Failure of the Mental Health System isn't isolated to Australia by any means. The U.S. has a huge problem as well. So sad that people have nowhere to turn for help. My husband suffers with bouts of depression and has finally started seeing a psychiatrist. I am hopeful, but guardedly so. Glad that Taylor has chosen to speak out. You never can tell who amountg us is suffering inside.

Thread Information