Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Austin Stephanos (14) Perry Cohen (14) died after their boat capsized in a storm

Austin Stephanos (14) Perry Cohen (14) died after their boat capsized in a storm

There are TONS of articles on this, pretty sad and scary. Also if the mods can fix the Title that would be awesome :)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-found-n399526

The two teenagers who vanished while fishing off the Florida coast last week were nowhere to be found early Tuesday as searchers began a fourth day hunting for clues.

The Coast Guard scoured an area roughly the size of West Virginia, but there was no sign of Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen, both 14, who were last seen Friday afternoon buying $110 worth of fuel near Jupiter, Florida.

The Coast Guard said they might have been heading toward the Bahamas. Their 19-foot boat was found on Sunday, capsized and adrift in the Gulf Stream current, about 180 miles north of where they set off.

In an interview on TODAY on Tuesday, the boys' mothers expressed hope and said the boys had plenty of experience on the open water.

"It's not even second nature at this point. It's in their blood," said Austin's mother, Carly Black. "This is something they've prepared for their whole boating life. This is ? they're out there."

Perry's mother, Pamela Cohen, said that the boys are "extremely athletic and knowledgable about the water, and we know that they are doing everything that they possibly can to stay afloat and wait for us to come get them."

Petty Officer Anthony Soto said that the search area remained 50 miles off the coast of Jacksonville and stretched as far north as Savannah, Georgia, and as far south as Cape Canaveral.

Family and friends were hoping that the teens, who had experience as boaters, could stay alive while apparently lost in the Atlantic.

"They know what to do if they get in trouble," Maxwell Bottcher, who described himself as a best friend of the boys, told NBC News. "They know how to make fresh water. I know they're out there."

Bottcher said he might have been on the boat if he hadn't had to work.

"If I was out with them, I could have been the one that said, 'No, this isn't safe, we need to go back,'" he said. "I could have helped them out with driving. I could have just helped out in any way."

Pic of the boat:

I've been watching the updates the past few days .... doesn't look good.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I've been watching the updates the past few days .... doesn't look good.
    Nope but a lot of people are holding out for hope based on a couple life jackets were taken and a cooler was missing.
    I would be shocked if they found anything :/

I know the parents are getting a lot of flack for letting these boys go off alone, but where I come from- it's not uncommon at all for kids to know their way around boats. Especially if they grow up around water. My cousins used to take off all the time alone. They also used to go "frogging" out on the bayous.....*gasp* alone.

These boys had on life jackets and they have their Yeti cooler with them. Yeti will hold ice for 5 days (even tho the ad says 7) so at the very least, I'm sure they have water and some food. The yeti could even be a flotation device. I think there might be a good chance these boys are still alive. I hope so...I could use some good news.
    Last edited by bermstalker; 07-29-2015 at 02:28 AM.

I'm hoping too for a happy ending and I don't engage in blaming the parents ... while these young boys were very adept sailors, they may have ventured too far in adverse weather ... I'm with berm 're hoping for a miracle and a happy ending.

This story is local to me and it has been a rollercoaster. Twice, there were false reports of them being found and I just can't imagine how the parents are feeling. We are pretty much down to the wire as far as finding them alive goes. I hope, by some miracle, they are found today alive.

Oh damn. There were reports all over the place saying they were found yesterday. I had no idea it was bullshit until now

AMPA, Fla. (Reuters) - The U.S. Coast Guard plans to suspend its search for two 14-year-old boys from South Florida at sunset on Friday, a week after they disappeared while on a fishing trip off the state's Atlantic Ocean coast.

The search for Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen has extended as far north as the Charleston, South Carolina, region, 500 miles north and 100 miles out to sea from Jupiter, Florida, where the teens launched their boat.

"The decision to suspend was excruciating and gut-wrenching," said Coast Guard Capt. Mark Fedor.

The teens, who were fishing buddies and neighbors in their Palm Beach County hometown, were last seen buying fuel for their 19-foot, single-engine vessel.

Two days later, the U.S. Coast Guard found their overturned boat about 180 miles north of Jupiter, along with one life vest.

Family members, also engaged in private search efforts, were holding out hope that several items missing from the boat, including life vests and a cooler, could be keeping them alive, the Sun Sentinel newspaper in Fort Lauderdale reported.
    http://news.yahoo.com/search-suspend...162700821.html
    Last edited by hazydaze; 07-31-2015 at 09:01 AM.

I don't understand why the coast guards have suspended the search at all. Isn't that their job?

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I don't understand why the coast guards have suspended the search at all. Isn't that their job?
    I read somewhere that they calculated that the longest the kids could have survived in the water was 5 days. Since they found the boat on Sunday, they are going with the assumption that the boys could have been in the boat up until that time, so Sunday plus five days was the survival time. Since that time has past, and they have covered all of this huge search area, I guess they feel like the boys have no chance of being alive at this point in the water, and their resources should be used on other searches/events.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I read somewhere that they calculated that the longest the kids could have survived in the water was 5 days. Since they found the boat on Sunday, they are going with the assumption that the boys could have been in the boat up until that time, so Sunday plus five days was the survival time. Since that time has past, and they have covered all of this huge search area, I guess they feel like the boys have no chance of being alive at this point in the water, and their resources should be used on other searches/events.
    They've pulled people out of the water that have survived a long time.
    I know the chances are slim, but these boys have a better chance than most. We don't know what was in the Yeti cooler.I would assume some food and drinks. If they have food and water, I would suspect they have a bigger window of time.

I'm glad the family is getting support from private plane owners. The fund is now at 413,000
    http://www.gofundme.com/perryandaustin

Sadly, with all the people that go missing or get swept away in Florida waters, the Coast Guard here stays super busy and has limited resources. I believe they calculated the survival possibility time, and then some, and searched through that time. Unfortunately they have to be realistic about the chances after a given amount of time.

I hope these boys defy the grimly realistic odds and are found safe somewhere, but the truth is that it's probably not going to happen at this point. I am glad that private searchers are able to keep looking for the boys, but I also realize that the Coast Guard's decision to stop makes sense given the time, weather, limited resources, other people needing assistance.

What I am saying probably doesn't sound nice, but as someone who spends a ton of time boating in Florida waters, the reality is that it's a very harsh environment and survival is very slim if you aren't prepared and something goes wrong. Even for people who are prepared, it's still an unforgiving environment.

I very much hope they are found so the families can have closure, but it would be pure miracle if they were found alive at this point. The Coast Guard has to be realistic.

A Florida helicopter company found two orange life jackets off a sandbar in Savannah, Georgia, that could have been worn by missing teens Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos.

Heli Aviation shared a video on Facebook of Tuesday’s discovery, writing, “Considering that the life vest recovery was during low tide it was only accessible by air.”
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/life-jacket...ry?id=32896645

---------------

TEQUESTA, Fla. (AP) - The families of two Florida boys who went missing at sea say they're continuing their search but have stopped collecting donations.

More than $480,000 in online contributions flowed in to help in efforts to continue looking for Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos, who went missing on a fishing trip July 24.

In a statement Wednesday, their families said they're "committed to continuing the search" but no longer need additional donations.
    http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local...arch/31164039/

Last edited by bermstalker; 08-06-2015 at 03:43 AM.

The families have called off the search.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...alled-off.html

Wait, so, the boat disappeared after they found it?

So sad.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post
    That's the way I understood that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Can you imagine how hard it would be, as parents, to call off the search, not knowing with 100% certainty that they're not out there somewhere waiting to be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post
    Where did the boat go? That is very odd.

[QUOTE=IzzyCooper;3645416]Where did the boat go? That is very odd.[/QUOTE

Don't know how to link ... went on line to read an NBC news item ... boat was located, coast guard swimmer marked it with a beacon, then resumed search for the boys as that was their priority. Twelve hours later salvage crew assigned to recover the boat discovered it was gone.

How unfortunate that is for any clues it could have provided.

Also the NBC news article was dated 8-4.

shesh! That is so strange. Thanks for the info

Thread Information