Thread: Police Fatally Shoot Man In Plymouth Arby's

Police Fatally Shoot Man In Plymouth Arby's

http://www.startribune.com/officer-i...ead/318383701/

Video (01:01) : Plymouth Police Chief Mike Goldstein spoke to the media about an officer-involved shooting at a Plymouth Arby's Thursday night in which one man was killed.

A man was shot and killed by a Plymouth police officer inside a local Arby?s restaurant Thursday night, authorities said.

Officers were dispatched on a report of a disturbance at the Arby?s on Hwy. 55 and Revere Lane around 8:20 p.m., where they had a confrontation with the man said to be causing problems in the restaurant, police said. During the altercation, the man was shot and killed by police.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is the lead agency investigating the shooting.

The agency says an officer entered the restaurant and approached the individual causing the disturbance. The officer scuffled with the man and tried to bring him under control. Authorities say at some point the officer shot the man, killing him. The BCA did not immediately say whether the man was armed.

The man has been taken to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy. The officer sustained minor injuries. No one else in the restaurant was injured.

Two hours after the incident, two customers and three Arby?s staff remained inside the shop being questioned by investigators, witnesses said.

Police responded to an officer-involved shooting at an Arby?s in Plymouth on Thursday.
    The parents of one Arby?s employee reported that their son called home sometime after 8 p.m. to report a disturbance at the shop and said that someone had died. The son then said he was OK and hung up. The parents, who declined to be identified, went immediately to the shop and were holding vigil outside the parking lot, which had been cordoned off by police.

The dead man has not been identified.

The Hennepin County Sheriff?s Office and Plymouth police also were on the scene.

Police radio audio here -

(It's confusing. At 00:13 it sounds like the dispatcher says "he has a couple of knives on him" at 00:23 it sounds like she says he's uarmed? I guess she might've got updated info - or I'm really shitty at interpreting U.S police radio traffic - it's much easier with a transcript/subtitles)

http://www.mnpoliceclips.com/audio-p...oting-723.html

http://www.keyc.com/story/29622204/p...plymouth-arbys

Police: Officer fatally shoots man in Plymouth Arby's

Posted: Jul 24, 2015 1:59 PM EST
    Updated: Jul 24, 2015 2:35 PM EST
    PLYMOUTH, Minn. (AP) - Police say an officer fatally shot a man inside an Arby's restaurant in Plymouth after an altercation.

Plymouth Police Chief Michael Goldstein tells TV station KSTP (http://bit.ly/1el3vfp ) that officers responded to the Arby's around 8:20 p.m. Thursday after a report of a disturbance inside.

Goldstein says a responding officer "engaged" with a man who was "causing some problems."

He says the encounter lead to a "confrontation," and the officer fatally shot the man.

No further details about the nature of the disturbance or the encounter with the officer were immediately available. A representative for the police department couldn't immediately be reached.

It wasn't clear whether the victim had been armed.

The TV station reports police were questioning customers and employees as witnesses.

Arby's didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Information from: KSTP-TV, http://www.kstp.com

Yeah, at first she said knives on person and then says he's unarmed.

This article says there was a scuffle between the man and the officer.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/cri...rbys/30602911/

It sounded like there were a lot of officers enroute. I hope they all got that second message, though I guess they'd still be on higher alert because of the first one, just in case.

I don't know what kind of place Arby's is, but it'll really suck if all they meant was he'd picked up a couple of plastic butter knives with his meal & these officers mistakenly thought he was seriously armned.

Maybe some of them missed the second msg

From Woo's link -

Squads were dispatched to the fast-food restaurant near Highway 55 and west of Highway 169 shortly after 8:15 p.m. on reports of a disturbance. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety says Officer Amy Therkelsen received information while en route, that the suspect had a weapon and was inside the restaurant

Another unarmed man who was immune to tasers & was shot trying to steal the officers weapon from her holster.

It amazes me how often unarmed U.S citizens try to blatantly wrestle police officers & steal their weapons when they could so easily get a firearm of their own. It'd make more sense to see it happening in Australia, NZ, the U.K etc where police officers are the only ones allowed to carry.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/0...lved-shooting/

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ? A man is dead after a police officer shot him in a scuffle at a Plymouth Arby?s Thursday night.

The Department of Public Safety says Officer Amy Therkelsen responded to a disturbance at the Arby?s near Highway 55 just after 8 p.m.

A preliminary investigation determined that two people were trying to subdue the man when Therkelsen arrived. The man did not immediately submit to Therkelsen?s demands, and she used her Taser on the suspect, which did not subdue him.

When Therkelsen tried to physically subdue him, a fight ensued and the suspect tried to grab her gun from her holster. Therkelsen regained the weapon, and fatally shot the man.

Therkelsen ? a seven-year veteran of the Plymouth Police Department ? suffered minor injuries in the incident but did not require treatment. There were no other injuries. She has been placed on standard administrative leave.

Another officer, Christopher Hendrickson, arrived at the scene before shots were fired and witnessed the fatal altercation.

Investigators say they did not find a weapon on the man.

Arby?s Restaurant Group, Inc. released a statement Friday afternoon:

?We are aware of the unfortunate incident last night at our restaurant in Plymouth. We are still gathering information at this point, however, we are grateful that no Arby?s team members or managers were injured.?
    The Bureau of Criminal Affairs and the Hennepin County Sheriff?s Office are investigating. The deceased man?s body was taken to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner?s Office for autopsy and formal identification.

My daughter worked at Arby's for over 2 years during high school.

People get really pissed about their roast beef and extra bronco sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    It sounded like there were a lot of officers enroute. I hope they all got that second message, though I guess they'd still be on higher alert because of the first one, just in case.

I don't know what kind of place Arby's is, but it'll really suck if all they meant was he'd picked up a couple of plastic butter knives with his meal & these officers mistakenly thought he was seriously armned.
    It's a fast food place like McDonalds, except they serve hot sliced beef, chicken and ham on a bun. I do love the Arby sauce, but the beef seems to be pressed and formed meat product. Back in the 70's, it was real roast and slow cooked in a glass cube in view of the public. No metal silverware.

Mary- my daughter says they still slow cook the roast beef everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Mary- my daughter says they still slow cook the roast beef everyday.
    Yeah. They've just figured out how to slice it thinner and thinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I wonder what they did to it Berm. It has an odd color and a weird texture. Totally looks pressed and formed. LOL...ask your daughter if it's a pressed and form chunk of meat or an actual roast. I used to love Arby's when I was a teen.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    I wonder what they did to it Berm. It has an odd color and a weird texture. Totally looks pressed and formed. LOL...ask your daughter if it's a pressed and form chunk of meat or an actual roast. I used to love Arby's when I was a teen.
    She said it's a big hunk of meat that they put on the cooker everyday. She wouldn't know if it was a real roast.

Asked if the department had previous encounters with the man killed, Goldstein said only, “He was not a stranger to us.”

More than a week before the man was killed, his grandparents had called Plymouth police for assistance because he was having mental health issues, sources said. When they couldn’t help, they took him to a hospital for treatment, sources said.

Shortly after his release, the man ended up at Arby’s and was shot during the confrontation, sources said.
    http://www.startribune.com/bca-inves...uth/318431891/

Damn, I wonder if they notified family he was being released or if they just sent him wandering of alone

NNEAPOLIS -- The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s office has released the name of a man shot and killed Thursday by a police officer at an Arby’s restaurant in Plymouth, Minn.

The man has been identified as 31-year-old Derek Ray Wolfsteller of Plymouth, according to a press release from the medical examiner’s office.

Wolfsteller, who was said to be armed, was fatally shot after Plymouth Police Department officer Amy Therkelson responded to a disturbance call at the restaurant. When the officer arrived on scene two unidentified individuals were trying to restrain Wolfsteller.

Therkelson used her Taser, but the weapon had no effect on Wolfsteller. A brief physical altercation, including a struggle for the officer’s weapon, ensued. Therkelson gained control of the gun and fired her weapon. No one else at the restaurant was injured and no other weapons were recovered from the scene.

According to the press release, Wolfsteller died of a gunshot wound to the head. The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension continues to investigate the incident

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news...n-cities-arbys

Derek R. Wolfsteller, age 31, of Plymouth passed away on Thursday, July 23, 2015.

A Celebration of Life honoring Derek will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at the Dingmann Funeral Care Chapel, Maple Lake with visitation beginning at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, also at the funeral home.

Derek Ray Wolfsteller was born February 1, 1984 in Robbinsdale, Minnesota to Duane Wolfsteller and Amber Torkelson. Derek was currently attending the Minnesota School of Business in Plymouth and had been working as a chef. In his spare time he enjoyed snowmobiling, electronics and playing video games.

Derek is survived by his soulmate, Jessica Bonniwell; father, Duane (Kim) Wolfsteller; step father, John Smithson; grandparents, Roger and Theresa Wolfsteller and Ralph and Marcy Petruzzi; siblings, Trevor Wolfsteller, Kayla Wolfsteller, and Samantha Smithson; uncles, Greg (Dawn) Torkelson and Lee Medina; aunt, Kathy (Jeff) Marciniak; cousins, John Bodman, Chelsea and Kevin Dooley, and other family members and friends. He is preceded in death by his mother, Amber Smithson and grandparents, George and Mary Torkelson.

Arrangements are entrusted to Dingmann Funeral Care Burial & Cremation Services of Maple Lake.
    http://www.dingmannfuneral.com/obits....php?id=562176

Thread Information