Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Faigy Mayer (30) jumped to her death from a rooftop bar in front of patrons

Faigy Mayer (30) jumped to her death from a rooftop bar in front of patrons

Yesterday evening, a 30-year-old woman leapt to her death from the 20th floor rooftop bar in Manhattan?s Flatiron District. Patrons of the bar, who were there attending a corporate event, kept drinking after her death, according to the New York Post.

Witnesses told the Post that the woman, identified as Faigy Mayer, ran to the edge of the the 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar and crashed through through the bushes that surround the bar. From the Post:

Officials recovered two bags that might have belonged to the victim, a purse and a backpack.

It was not known if Mayer was connected to the party.

After the tragedy, some bar patrons still enjoyed table service at the establishment, where bottles can fetch as much as $300 each.
    ?There was a big corporate party up there and she kind of ran through them [the partygoers] and jumped,? witness Becky Whittemore told the Post. ?They closed off the section where she jumped from. I think a lot of the people up there had zero clue what was going on.?

Mayer, who worked as an iOS developer for a Brooklyn-based tech firm, was pronounced dead at the scene.

http://gawker.com/woman-jumps-to-dea...tro-1719242517

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2015...ont_of_patrons

And in a clear sign of the frustration her family still feel towards Mayer for leaving their tightly knit Hasidic community in Brooklyn, her own mother was bitter when asked about her daughter’s death.

Chava Mayer told Daily Mail Online: 'I don't want to say anything. What am I supposed to say: That she's a wonderful person? No, we don't want to comment.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3gZUqSoOP

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    http://mydeathspace.com/article/2015...ont_of_patrons

And in a clear sign of the frustration her family still feel towards Mayer for leaving their tightly knit Hasidic community in Brooklyn, her own mother was bitter when asked about her daughter’s death.

Chava Mayer told Daily Mail Online: 'I don't want to say anything. What am I supposed to say: That she's a wonderful person? No, we don't want to comment.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3gZUqSoOP
    The devout Jewish are VERY staunch about suicide. They essentially disown anyone who does it. Many of the Jewish cemeteries have a section on the outskirts that they bury the suicide victims in and some won't allow them to be buried there at all. I had a Jewish friend that jumped. His family got extremely weird with it.

How heartless to just keep on partying. I would want to be as far away from that scene as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    The devout Jewish are VERY staunch about suicide. They essentially disown anyone who does it. Many of the Jewish cemeteries have a section on the outskirts that they bury the suicide victims in and some won't allow them to be buried there at all. I had a Jewish friend that jumped. His family got extremely weird with it.

How heartless to just keep on partying. I would want to be as far away from that scene as possible.
    It's not like she took a running leap off the edge and people shrugged and kept drinking. I bet she just went over the side and no one noticed.

She probably jumped after she saw the price of a drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    It's not like she took a running leap off the edge and people shrugged and kept drinking. I bet she just went over the side and no one noticed.

She probably jumped after she saw the price of a drink.
    They said that they blocked off the area that she jumped from though. So, even if people didn't happen to notice a distraught Woman running through the crowd and taking a flying leap, they sure would have noticed the police taping off a crime scene in the middle of their shindig lol.

It's very sad. It seems like the split from religion and being ostracized in a sense from her family drove her to the edge.

& over

Puling the text from the link above. This makes me sad.

Not even an hour before Faigy Mayer jumped to her death from a rooftop bar in New York City, she shared a photo album of old family pictures on Facebook.

"My family refuses to allow me to have my baby pictures so finding these pics were cool!" the caption read.

Witnesses recalled seeing the 29-year-old jump 20 floors to her death from the top of 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar on Monday evening.

"There was a big corporate party up there and she kind of ran through them and jumped," witness Becky Whittemore told the New York Post.

Another witness, Dale Martin, told the newspaper that he was walking across the street when he saw her falling.

"You can tell it was a lady. She had on shoes and a dress," he said.

Wanting to Be Free
    Mayer walked away from her ultra-Orthodox Hasidic community five years ago, numerous friends of the young woman tell PEOPLE. For that reason, her family refused to let her back into her childhood home in Borough Park, Brooklyn.

Mayer's close friend, Pinny Gold, who said Mayer had been hospitalized three times in the past for depression, bumped into her on the train just two weeks ago.

"She was going to her parents' house to pick up her Apple Watch that she had shipped there because she didn't trust her roommates," Gold, 30, tells PEOPLE. "She put on a dress over her pants, covered her arms with a sweater – so she wasn't showing skin – and even then her mother wouldn't let her into her house."

Mayer had to wait outside to get her package.

"This was just one thing she was dealing with. She was never good enough in their eyes," Gold says. "She had a lot of struggles."

"I'm hoping this is the last suicide in our community, but I sadly know it won't be," he adds.

On April 10, Gold went to visit Mayer at the psychiatric unit of Bellevue Hospital in New York City.

"She really wanted people to come visit her," he says. "And she wanted me to bring her chips and tea. I was also helping her with housing issues because her roommates were trying to get her evicted."

Mayer had also reached out to a group of people she knew from Footsteps, an organization that helps former members of the ultra-Orthodox community transition to secular life.

"She was very open about her mental health issues," Ari Mendel, 32, who also left the Hasidic community, tells PEOPLE. "She wrote from the hospital on this Google document that we are part of that she really wanted people to visit her and would like a home-cooked meal."

Search for Happiness
    On June 19, Mayer joined her friend Libelle Polaki at the Swedish Midsummer Festival in Battery Park.

Former Hasidic Jewish Woman, 29, Jumped to Her Death After Being Shunned by Parents: 'She Was Never Good Enough in Their Eyes'| Death, Personal Tragedy, Suicide and Attempts, Real People Stories
    Faigy Mayer and Libelle Polaki
    LIBELLE F POLAKI
    Polaki went to high school with Mayer, but it wasn't until 2011 that they became friends.

"We both broke free from our community," Polaki, 27, tells PEOPLE. "So we suddenly had a lot in common. We supported each other. No one outside of our community understands what it's like to leave."

At the event, Mayer seemed happy and went out of her way to meet new people.

"We joked about our current lifestyles and how we were dating guys who weren't Jewish," Polaki says. "That's the worst thing you could do where we are from."

They also talked about Mayer's passion for coding and creating apps. She had been working on an app that would help former Hasids navigate life in New York City.

"She just wanted to pursue her own passions and be free," Polaki says. "But finding work for people like us is hard. We didn't get credit for going to high school that we could use for college. We never learned math or simple algebra. We had to start all over again when we left."

Trying to Cope
    At Mayer's funeral on Tuesday, her father cried, apologized to the English speakers in attendance for mainly speaking Yiddish and said, "We tried our best."

But her close friend Chaim Levin says her family tried to keep her friends out of the service.

"They wouldn't tell us what time the funeral was. They said noon, then they said it was 2 p.m.," he tells PEOPLE. "When we got there, the family said they wanted a private service, but there were so many of us that we just piled in."

According to Levin, Mayer always tried to be positive.

"She would post on Facebook about some sushi event or wanting to bring people together," he says. "She wasn't going to settle with being sad."

On July 12, Mayer, who went to an all-girls Hasidic Jewish school, sent Levin an essay about her upbringing that she wanted to publish.

"I didn't even know that leaving the faith was an option until the age of 23," she wrote.

She also wrote about her three nephews and how "it isn't fair to them that they have to live the lives they do. The most fun they have is to color with crayons. Even if I was allowed to be in their lives, they would not be allowed to play games on my iPhone."

And when she watched Roger Federer play at Wimbledon, she wrote about asking her friend questions about the rules, while thinking that her nephews would never see the sport being played.

"Thinking analytically when it comes to basic life decisions is something new to me and something I still struggle with five years after leaving," she wrote.

Polaki says that Mayer and those with similar backgrounds spend their entire lives trying to catch up academically and socially.

"She held out for as long as she could," she says. "I think that if she didn't have such great friends, she would have jumped sooner. She tried to cope the best she could, but it was just too much for her."

Polaki also feels guilty that she hadn't seen Mayer since their afternoon together in Battery Park.

"You don't think that someone you care about will disappear," she says. "I know I was a good friend, but she really just wanted her family. We all want to be close to our family, and when she left them it was like she landed on another planet."

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

When your religion keeps you from letting your daughter into her childhood home or allowing her pictures from her childhood, perhaps it is time to re-evaluate your belief system. Religiosity

Agreed. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    When your religion keeps you from letting your daughter into her childhood home or allowing her pictures from her childhood, perhaps it is time to re-evaluate your belief system. Religiosity
    Absolutely spot on.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I totes agree. Fuck this family. It is disgusting to me that your beliefs would include shunning your own flesh and blood for something so stupid. So letting her back in her own home is going to bring the Devil to the family? That's what's going to have them spending eternity in Hell? I think not.

They have no one but themselves to blame for her actions. While they didn't push her off the building, they absolutely pushed her toward it. So mom's "not wanting to comment" says a lot. They probably wouldn't have anything nice to say anyway.

And should the family show up - I meant exactly what I said. I don't apologize for the truth. She was an adult who is entitled to her own beliefs, whether you like it or not. By shunning her you have shown the people you truly are on the inside, and that, to me, is disgusting.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

I agree Kev. It's not the actions of her Daughter that's going to send her straight to Hell. It's her actions TOWARDS her Daughter. This poor girl.

And the funny thing is... Jews don't believe in Hell. So what you do to people here? It's the only crack you get at getting things right.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Hasids don't believe in the Christian variety of hell, but they do believe in a hell-like place and an afterlife.

It's very, very difficult to be a Hasidic teenage girl. They're married off very young. Imagine an Amish community in NYC where the men in the community flaunt their hypocrisy.

Hasids don't believe in the Christian variety of hell, but they do believe in a hell-like place and an afterlife.

It's very, very difficult to be a Hasidic teenage girl. They're married off very young. Imagine an Amish community in NYC where the men in the community flaunt their hypocrisy.
    Thanks. I did not know that about Hasids. Of course most of the (few) Jewish people around here are of a more relaxed branch...

I can't imagine how tough life is for any of these kids being raised "fundamentalist" It's hard to figure out who and what you should be without having to being shunned or disowned.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

This is exactly what I was going to compare it to.

There's a city close to me that has a very large Hacidic community (basically the entire city). They appear very similar.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Hasids are very different when it comes to how they handle money. They can own businesses and real estate and interact with non-Hasidic people on a daily basis. They use electricity except on the Sabbath. So I suppose that lifestyle wise they're more comparable to Mennonites. But when it comes to their personal lives, they are extremely conservative, especially when it comes to women.

A Hasidic man cannot touch a woman he isn't married to. The women are not allowed to sit in the central part of the temple for service....they sit in the back, away.

They may run businesses with their husbands but it's a pretty fucked up, sexist community.

I think I bought a Hasidic oven. It has a sabbith setting and the manual explains how to set it, but does not explain why. I was curious, so I asked a jewish friend. He's a real Jew, like I've been to a bris for his son and a bat Mitzvah for his daughter. It's been an education for a heathen like me..lol. He's a good sport about my questions, but laughed that my oven had sabbith setting and explained his family would not have a need for it. I went to a medical convention where he was a speaker. There was a meal included and they served a wonderful pork roast. He said, it looks good and smells delish...can I have your salad?..lol.

Prior to having a jewish friend, I sort of assumed all jews had the same beliefs. I tried to be respectful of their beliefs and always apologized beforehand when asking questions, so he would know it was purely ignorance on my part and not meant to offend, if I did say something stupid. I got stuck peddling easter candy for a pre-school fundraiser years ago. He bought an advent calendar. My co-workers gave me crap for years about that. I keep saying he saw the pamphlet and said I'll take one of these. Someone said something to him about buying my advent calendar thing. It had a piece of candy behind every date. He laughed and said eating candy from an advent calendar wouldn't make his kids Christians and that it was safe for Christians to swim at the Jewish Community Center. I love that guy, he has the right perspective on beliefs and just the right amount of sarcasm.

i'm Jewish. Everyone in my family is an atheist.

Judaism is at this point as much a culture or race as it is a religion.

I'm atheist as well. It's kind of funny that an atheist sold a Jew an advent calendar and the Christians gossiped about it.

My family always got as advent calendars.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    I'm atheist as well. It's kind of funny that an atheist sold a Jew an advent calendar and the Christians gossiped about it.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    I totes agree. Fuck this family. It is disgusting to me that your beliefs would include shunning your own flesh and blood for something so stupid. So letting her back in her own home is going to bring the Devil to the family? That's what's going to have them spending eternity in Hell? I think not.

They have no one but themselves to blame for her actions. While they didn't push her off the building, they absolutely pushed her toward it. So mom's "not wanting to comment" says a lot. They probably wouldn't have anything nice to say anyway.

And should the family show up - I meant exactly what I said. I don't apologize for the truth. She was an adult who is entitled to her own beliefs, whether you like it or not. By shunning her you have shown the people you truly are on the inside, and that, to me, is disgusting.
    This! I can't. This really hit me.

Thread Information