Thread: Antonio Baglivo (16) and Paul VanDoran (16) killed in driver's ed crash

Antonio Baglivo (16) and Paul VanDoran (16) killed in driver's ed crash

The New York schools superintendent who said Wednesday night that a third teen injured in a driver's education vehicle crash that killed two students had also died now says that he's unable to confirm the boy's status.

Goshen School Superintendent Daniel Connor said that 16-year-old Lucas O'Connor, a passenger in the driver's ed car that was T-boned by a tractor-trailer as it went through a blinking red traffic light in Warwick, had died. Two other 16-year-old boys died in the Tuesday morning crash; the 16-year-old female driver survived and has been released from the hospital.

Connor made the announcement about O'Connor Wednesday night at a candlelight vigil for the four teenagers who had been in the vehicle. But on Thursday, he said he couldn't confirm that the third teen had died and said he had left a message for O'Connor's family. He said Thursday afternoon that the parents had not returned his call. Connor declined to disclose to NBC 4 New York how he originally came into information that the third teen died.

O'Connor's family couldn't immediately be reached by NBC 4 New York Thursday. Warwick Police Lt. Tom Maslanka says Westchester Medical Center had listed O'Connor in critical condition Thursday morning. A hospital spokesman told NBC 4 New York he could not give information on O'Connor; a person who answered the phone at the hospital's main desk said the boy was in the trauma unit.

The four teenagers -- O'Connor, driver Claudia Krebs, Antonio Baglivo and Paul VanDoran -- and an adult instructor were inside the driver's ed vehicle when it was hit by the truck Tuesday morning. Baglivo and VanDoran, who had been in the backseat, died the day of the crash.

Krebs was released from a hospital Wednesday afternoon, according to Connor. She was behind the wheel of the driver's ed car, owned by Middletown's Decat Driving School, as it approached the intersection of County Road 1 and Blooms Corner Road. A tractor-trailer neared the intersection around the same time as Krebs and her four passengers. The truck had the right of way.

Krebs' vehicle stopped at the blinking red light, then jetted into the intersection, authorities said the truck driver told them. The truck driver couldn't stop in time and slammed the rear of the driver's ed car.

One of the boys who died was going into his senior year; the other would have been a junior this fall. Friends, classmates and teachers were devastated as they remembered the boys at the vigil Wednesday.

"They woke up in the morning, just going out in the car with their friends and having a wonderful day," elementary school teacher Joanne Karchawer said. "These things are so unexpected."

"He was always into football," Davgil David-Gil, a friend, said. "He was so passionate about football."

The 60-year-old driving instructor and the trucker, a 61-year-old Pennsylvania man, were treated for non-life-threatening injuries. All five passengers in the car were wearing seat belts, authorities said.

The high school contracts with Decat Driving School in Middletown to provide driver's training to students over the summer.

A town official said the town has made multiple requests in the last few years to change the light from a blinking intersection to a full functional light because it has been a "difficult intersection."
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...artner=nbcnews
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I guess I don't understand what driver's ed actually entails. I assumed it was something kids had to do before they could apply for a license.

So they're allowed to drive with a carload of other kids & no licensed adult supervising from the passenger seat?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    That's sad as hell. Maybe things have changed, but when I took driver's ed, the instructor was always in the passenger seat and had their own set of brakes just in case you flubbed up. By the sounds of it, that may have helped prevent this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

The 60-year-old driving instructor and the trucker, a 61-year-old Pennsylvania man, were treated for non-life-threatening injuries. All five passengers in the car were wearing seat belts, authorities said.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I know that there was a driving instructor. But he was in the back seat.

ETA: Our point was that I thought they were supposed to be in the Passenger seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I know that there was a driving instructor. But he was in the back seat.

ETA: Our point was that I thought they were supposed to be in the Passenger seat.
    Where do you see that he was in the back. I must be blind... I see that the two boys who died were in the back, but nothing about the teachers location in the car.

Where do you see that he was in the back. I must be blind... I see that the two boys who died were in the back, but nothing about the teachers location in the car.
    Yeah, I didn't see where it said the instructor was in the back, either.

I'm surprised they had that many people in the car. When I was learning to drive with my instructor, no one else was allowed in the car. My twin sister had to stay at home while I drove, and when my lesson was done he dropped me off at home, then picked up my sister and she went for her lesson.

It sucks to think that if no one else had been in the car with them, and the back seat empty, no one would have died....

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Ah. You're right. When they wrote that the first kid who died was "a passenger" I took that as him being in the passenger seat, I guess.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...315377461.html
    A third teenager has died after a tractor-trailer T-boned the driver's education vehicle he and three other teens were in as it went through a blinking red traffic light at an intersection in Orange County, Goshen School Superintendent Daniel Connor said at a candlelight vigil Wednesday night.

Lucas O'Connor, 16, was the third student to die. The fourth student, Claudia Krebs, 16, was released from a hospital Wednesday afternoon, Connor said. [UPDATE: Superintendent now says he's unsure of third teen's status in deadly crash]

Hundreds of teens, parents and religious leaders turned out at the vigil in Goshen to remember the three boys who died: O'Connor and 16-year-olds Antonio Baglivo and Paul VanDoran.

"They woke up in the morning, just going out in the car with their friends and having a wonderful day," elementary school teacher Joanne Karchawer said. "These things are so unexpected."

The parents of Baglivo were at the vigil, visibly devastated. His friends were there too.

"He was always into football," Davgil David-Gil, a friend, said. "He was so passionate about football."

Krebs was behind the wheel of the driver's ed car, owned by Middletown's Decat Driving School, as it approached the intersection of County Road 1 and Blooms Corner Road in Warwick Tuesday morning. A tractor-trailer neared the intersection around the same time as Krebs and her five passengers -- three 16-year-old boys and an adult instructor. The truck had the right of way.

New Safety Measures Considered After Deadly Driver's Ed Car Crash New Safety Measures Considered After Deadly Driver's Ed Car Crash Following the tragic death of two Goshen High School students during a drivers-ed course, Warwick town officials are now looking into new safety measures at the intersection where the deadly accident took place. Sheldon Dutes reports. (Published Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015)

Krebs' vehicle stopped at the blinking red light, then jetted into the intersection, authorities said the truck driver told them. The truck driver couldn't stop in time and slammed the rear of the driver's ed car. Krebs and 16-year-old Lucas O'Connor, who had been in the backseat, were airlifted to a hospital with critical injuries, authorities said.

The other boys in the backseat, Baglivo and VanDoran, were killed in the accident. One died at the scene; the other was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The 60-year-old driving instructor and the trucker, a 61-year-old Pennsylvania man, were being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. All five passengers in the car were wearing seat belts, authorities said.

Goshen School Superintendent Daniele Connor said all four teens in the car were students at the district high school, which contracts with Decat Driving School in Middletown to provide driver's training to students over the summer.

One of the boys who died was going into his senior year; the other would have been a junior this fall. Grief counseling was available at the school Wednesday.

"This is a tough one,'' Connor said. "Both were outstanding young men, great students, fun to have in class, well-respected and well-liked."

A county official said the town has made multiple requests in the last few years to change the light from a blinking intersection to a full functional light because it has been a "difficult intersection."

Thread Information