Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Patricia Allen (30) arrested after three of her children drowned in a pool while she played on her cellphone

This has slightly more detail

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...swim/31440727/

A woman who was arrested after her three*children drowned said she tried desperately to save them.

Patricia Allen has not spoken publicly since that terrible day in June, although she has been judged harshly by public opinion. On*Monday, she broke her silence.

"My children knew how to swim. I would never put them in a situation like that," said the 31-year-old mom.

She knows why people would consider her an unfit mother. She was, after all, charged with injury to a child after her three*young children drowned in a murky apartment pool just a few feet from her reach. Witnesses told Irving police she might have been on her phone.

Patricia Allen said she moved to Irving to escape the violence of Chicago. Now she's dealing with the tragedy of three children who died while trying to stay cool.

Authorities placed Allen's two surviving children in foster care.

"It's indescribable pain," she said tearfully. "I was never on the phone. I never took a phone outside with me.*I was in the pool with my children. *I tried to save them. They can swim.*I can swim."

Apartment management gave them permission to swim on that day.*The water was cloudy at the deep end, but others had been in.

"In the shallow end I could see my feet. It was clear," Allen said.

She said she told her two*sons and daughter to stay in the shallow end. *Anthony, August and Trishawn were 11, 10 and 9. *Allen said she was twirling her three-year-old son in the water.

"About the third time I spun in a circle, I noticed that my nine-year-old,*Trishawn, was being pulled under the water," she said. "I seen his red shorts and side of his face as he was being pulled in."

She believes one child slipped under, and the others were pulled in as they struggled. She said*there was no sound...*no warning.

"I put my head under water. I opened my eyes. I couldn't see nothing," Allen said.

She said she set her three-year-old out of the pool, then searched for her drowning children.

But the boy jumped back in and went under. She had to stop to save him. A*"Sophie's choice"*?*making a life-or-death decision about her own children.

"I dived back in the pool where I thought I last seen them. I couldn't see them... couldn't find them...*couldn't feel them," Allen said.

She covered her face*with her hands and took a deep breath.

Attorney Howard Rosenstein took Allen's case for free, and hired a private investigator to pore over phone records and to interview people who know the family.

"I have the proof that she was never on her phone and never inattentive...*I have that evidence," Rosenstein said.

He said if there is fault in this tragedy, it lies with apartment management for opening an unsafe pool. The complex had been cited in previous years for the same issue.

"In our society, we're searching for instant justice in a hard case," the lawyer said. *"Every time there's a child death, we want immediate justice."

He said if this case goes to a grand jury, he will recommend that Allen testify.

"There's nothing to hide," Rosenstein said.

"I watched them pull my children out of the pool, one by one," Patricia Allen said as *tears streaked her face. "I tried to give my daughter CPR."

Patricia Allen grew up in a series of foster homes in Chicago. *She and her longtime boyfriend brought the family to Texas a couple of years ago, seeking a safer life and better jobs.

"In Chicago, there's so much violence," she said. "So many children dying."

Allen had her GED and was a certified nurse's aide. Records show no criminal history. She said she also has no CPS history and no drug history. CPS says she does have a history with the agency, but the records are currently sealed.

"They were intelligent. Beautiful," she said. "They were wonderful children."

Allen said she couldn't save her three*oldest children. Now, Patricia Allen hopes to clear her name, regain custody of her surviving son and daughter,*and try again to give them a better life.

She said the hope of that future is the only thing getting her through the pain.

I wasn't there so I can't swear it's true but I can say her description is totally plausible, if one kid got into trouble & pulled the others down it would've been silent & very fast. I know I suck for posting it twice, but anyone who thinks a kid would "obviously" recognise a real drowning & have time to call for help before they were pulled under, needs to watch this horrible vid again.

Re the attorney saying he has proof she wasn't on her ph, she says she didn't have the ph with her at all. I know we can't usually see the game access/play time logs on our ph's but if you have a professional look at the device, as far as I'm aware they can get an activity log, can't they?

Besides, if the devices she & the family own have GPS, it will show whether any of their devices moved with her to the pool or whether they were left at home like she says, won't it?

Edit : the "obviously" bit isn't directed at anyone here, it's just something I hear a lot anywhere that this sort of subject comes up. I actually hate going to our local pool because I spend so much time watching other people's toddlers wobbling around the edges of the deep pools with no adults anywhere near them.

Every pool & beach I've been to in Australia is like this & a lot of you are describing similar stuff where you live so it has to be an incredibly widespread behaviour. At least this woman bothered to get into the pool with her kids - there's a lot who don't even do that.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-24-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Missbad posted the interview with the mom and her lawyer back on the 11th, so it's definitely been discussed before. Does "throw the bitch in the deep end" ring a bell? Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Re the attorney saying he has proof she wasn't on her ph, she says she didn't have the ph with her at all. I know we can't usually see the game access/play time logs on our ph's but if you have a professional look at the device, as far as I'm aware they can get an activity log, can't they?

Besides, if the devices she & the family own have GPS, it will show whether any of their devices moved with her to the pool or whether they were left at home like she says, won't it?

I do believe they will be able to tell if her phone (or other electronic device) was in use when the kids drowned, even if she was just playing a game.

I know her lawyer says he has proof her phone was in her apartment, but he's gonna have to show me the receipts, haha. I'm sure we'll find out one way or the other.

Not sure if the phone would show movement from her apartment to the pool, particularly if she lives very close to the pool. I really don't know. But I do think it would be obvious to LE and witnesses if, at some point during the aftermath, she went to her apartment to retrieve her phone (or if she already had it with her).

Quote Originally Posted by hazydaze View Post
    It does not make sense for 3 random people in 2 separate incidents to fabricate stories that cast her in poor light. It just doesn't make sense that after all that, her amended version is the true account.

Of course she shouldn't be thrown to the wolves for a lapse in judgement but I think she is guilty of what she's been charged with.

I really can't think of a reason the witnesses would lie about this. What would be their motivation? Seems to me, she is the only one with motivation to lie. (I'm not saying she's a liar, just that I can see why she would. The witnesses ... not so much.)

Her version of events is soooo completely different from the witnesses that it's hard ... impossible, even ... for me to reconcile the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    I've seen that video Blighted posted before. It baffles me how long the cousin films. I could tell they were drowning and she's just filming away
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

So one witness says she was just sitting there facing the deep end, and one says she was facing away from her children. She says she was in the pool twirling the three year old.
    Even if her account is true I would think she would be facing her kids every few seconds.
    The only thing I can come up with is since the water was so murky and still, could she at first had thought those three got out of the pool?
    But if she was twirling her three year old she would notice that three of her kids suddenly weren't visible.
    I feel for the mother to an extent but to lose three kids the same way at the exact same time is suspicious.

Wow. That was a tough thread to get through.
    Never charged and still doesn't have custody of her other 2 children. What a bizarre story. And those drowning videos were nuts!

RIP to those 3 beautiful kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sdhoney View Post
    Wow. That was a tough thread to get through.
    Never charged and still doesn't have custody of her other 2 children. What a bizarre story. And those drowning videos were nuts!

RIP to those 3 beautiful kids.

She was charged with one count of injury to a child, but it hasn't been sent to the grand jury yet, which has to happen before the case can move forward, because it's a felony charge. I'm not sure what the hold-up is.

She filed a federal lawsuit against CPS late last year ... not sure what's going on with that, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    She was charged with one count of injury to a child, but it hasn't been sent to the grand jury yet, which has to happen before the case can move forward, because it's a felony charge. I'm not sure what the hold-up is.
    She filed a federal lawsuit against CPS late last year ... not sure what's going on with that, either.
    Appreciate that info! TY

Don't know if this has been posted
    https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...ces_Unit_et_al

Are drowning rates increasing? It really wouldn't surprise me if they were, because people have always been complacent at best, & idiotic at worst around the water. Inattention has always been a killer & it doesn't need to be a ph in your hand, it could be a 2 min conversation with the person next to you, or 2 mins taken to fix another kids floaties.

Ignorance of what drowning looks & sounds like is a big killer too.

There's a really fucked up vid of a little kid drowning in a pool in Finland. Multiple adults look straight at him & do nothing because he isn't waving his arms in the air like a drowning in the movies. I think it hit me harder than the other vids in this thread because at the start it's very similar to what happened to my daughter - except I saw quickly & pulled her up. She was a year younger than this kid & started drowning with floaties/water wings, in water she could stand in & in the time it took for me to look from her to her brother & say "so which pool do you like best"? I look back & she's already drifting metres away from us, facedown, with multiple adults glancing at her & acting like she was playing.

Found the vid (they saved him in the end, which is amazing because this is the longest & most excruciating drowning vid I've seen & his body eventually drifts lifeless in the pool for a while too)

WATCH YOUR KIDS, PEOPLE - whether you have a ph in your hand or not

While this is bumped though, did Patricia ever get her other kids back & was she ever actually taken to court & convicted of anything over what happened at the pool that day?

Edit : & ftr, I believe there are many parents who should be charged over pool drownings, this woman is not one of them.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-16-2018 at 02:04 PM.

I am not sure why people are being so specific about the phone - it could be any distraction that would be blamed. Watch your kids!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I hope she got her other kids back. With the phone being ruled out as a "distraction", no drugs, no child saying "i saw mommy hold him under the water" her only distraction was enjoying her youngest child in the water. It takes no time at all to drown. Is it a crime to live in an apartment complex with a shi itty pool?

2019 update:

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Te...512468372.html

The mother of three children who drowned in a Dallas-area pool has pleaded no contest to negligence in the 2015 deaths.

Patricia Allen was charged with felony injury to a child but pleaded no contest Tuesday to the lesser count and received two years of deferred adjudication probation.
    Police initially said the victims couldn't swim. Defense attorney Howard Rosenstein says the children could tread water, dog paddle and float.

Allen's other three children were put into permanent conservatorship and foster homes.

Thread Information