Thread: Brooklyn Scout Brister (5) Reported drowning, found to be extreme domestic abuse

Brooklyn Scout Brister (5) Reported drowning, found to be extreme domestic abuse

Ouachita Sheriff makes arrest in death of child

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News & OPSO)- The ongoing investigation by Ouachita Sheriff?s Investigators of a reported child drowning July 3rd has led to an arrest.

Russell E. Flowers, age 59, of Monroe has been arrested.

Ouachita Deputies responded to a report of the drowning during the afternoon of July 3rd. The resulting investigation has led to the arrest of the suspect.

According to the police report obtained by KNOE, Clarissa Hector reported that her daughter, Brooklyn Scout Brister, had drowned in the Ouachita River behind her residence on Hooter Road in Monroe.

Initially, police were told the girl had fallen out of some trees along the river into the water. Hector told police she turned her back for a moment when the girl fell. She said she then pulled the child from the water, forced water out of her mouth, then took her inside and put her in a warm bath because she was cold.

According to the report, Hector called 911 and performed CPR, but never changed the child's clothes. When police arrived Brister had already been taken to University Health in Monroe where she was pronounced dead.

In the days that followed, police interviewed other children living at the residence and placed them in foster care. The children initially told authorities their sister had drowned, but later admitted they told that story so they wouldn't be taken away. Two of the children said they were whipped with a belt by Flowers, and placed in warm water so the bruises would be less visible. A six year-old says Brister was whipped the day of the incident and then told to get in a tub of hot water.

Tuesday, Clarissa Hector admitted that she lied about the drowning in the river because Flowers, who owns and lives at the residence, threatened to kill her if she did not lie.

In the police report, Hector says she saw Flowers striking the child with a belt and tried to stop him by grabbing the belt. Flowers got struck in the eye as a result and he pushed her down.

She says Flowers forced her daughter to lie with her stomach in the water for about five minutes, while Flowers held a gun to Clarissa's head. Hector says the child's face at some point was submerged in the water, until Flowers removed the girl from the tub.

From there, Flowers performed CPR and told Hector to call 911 and told her to lie or he would kill her and the other children. Flowers is father to one of the children, but not Brooklyn.

The report says a preliminary autopsy report shows the child had belt marks on her legs. Her brain was swollen, and the pathologist says she died from heat exposure. There were no signs of water in the child's lungs or of sexual abuse.

Hector says she was in extreme fear and that she had been abused in the past. Previous police reports confirm a history of domestic abuse involving Flowers.

Meanwhile, family has set up a Go Fund Me account to pay for Brooklyn Scout Brister's funeral expenses. A link to that site is posted with this story.

Flowers has been booked, and is currently being held in OCC on the charges of 2nd Degree Murder and Domestic Violence Abuse Aggravated Assault. The investigation is continuing. No bond has been set.

KNOE spoke with an expert on domestic abuse who says Hector's fear of Flowers was legitimate. Terrie Queen Autrey with the Domestic Abuse Resistance Team in Ruston says fear is one of the main reason women stay in abusive situations.

"That fear is well founded because when a woman leaves an abusive relationship, her risk of being murdered is increased by 75 percent," said Autrey.

Autrey says this tragic situation could have been prevented. DART and other domestic violence programs provide assistance to victims of abuse and their children. Many times these services are free and confidential.

"Until they can decide what their next step will be, they have a safe place to think," said Autrey.

She says these victims need to reach out for help before they find themselves in an even more violent situation.

"Is that others will hear of this story, read of this story and know I've been living with this and I've been afraid to get out, but i'm not going to let this happen to my family. i'm going to go and get some help," said Autrey.

http://www.knoe.com/home/headlines/S...vice=phone&c=y

Go Fund Me
    http://www.gofundme.com/BrooklynBrister

Obit
    http://www.richlandtoday.com/obituar...-scout-brister

Ugh. What a terrible story. Looking at the mom's facebook, it appears she was married last year. I wonder what happened to make her move in with this disgusting, abusive man. I also wonder if she ever tried to leave or find help knowing that her beautiful children were being abused by a sadistic asshole. I don't see how he could have been whipping them without her knowledge because that has to leave distinguishable marks and bruises. And Brooklyn didn't been die from drowning, but from brain swelling and heat exposure. So was the bathtub so hot that it killed her? This whole case makes me sick.
    RIP Brooklyn.

I know! Wondering how things could go so wrong so quickly for this woman and her children. very odd!

Quote Originally Posted by juicyfruit View Post
    Ugh. What a terrible story. Looking at the mom's facebook, it appears she was married last year. I wonder what happened to make her move in with this disgusting, abusive man. I also wonder if she ever tried to leave or find help knowing that her beautiful children were being abused by a sadistic asshole. I don't see how he could have been whipping them without her knowledge because that has to leave distinguishable marks and bruises. And Brooklyn didn't been die from drowning, but from brain swelling and heat exposure. So was the bathtub so hot that it killed her? This whole case makes me sick.
    RIP Brooklyn.
    Hello, Im jorja Brister Brooklyns sister and honeslty i dont know how she didnt k=notice when we stayed at his house he never hit anyone but i could tell he had anger issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 22bristerj View Post
    Hello, Im jorja Brister Brooklyns sister and honeslty i dont know how she didnt k=notice when we stayed at his house he never hit anyone but i could tell he had anger issues.
    Sorry for your loss.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    So sorry for your loss. What happened to Brooklyn was so unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Mother, ex-boyfriend sentenced in death of 5-year-old Ouachita Parish girl

https://www.knoe.com/content/news/Mo...510829741.html

Two people held responsible for the death of a Ouachita Parish girl in 2015 were sentenced on Tuesday, June 4, 2019.

Russell Flowers and Clarissa Hector (also known as Clarissa Hammond) each pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the death of 5-year-old Brooklyn Scout Brister. According to court documents, Flowers was sentenced to serve 5 years. Hector, the girl's mother, was sentenced to 4 years and 6 months. The maximum sentence allowed for negligent homicide under Louisiana law is 5 years.

Brooklyn Scout Brister died in July of 2015. Authorities say Clarissa Hector originally reported that her daughter drowned in the Ouachita River behind her residence on Hooter Road in the Monroe area. Hector later said she lied about the river drowning after Flowers, her boyfriend, threatened to kill her and her children.

Court records show that the child died from multiple blunt force injuries. There were multiple contusions found on the victim's body. An autopsy categorized the injuries as both old and recent.

During the investigation, other children in the home at the time told investigators that Flowers would give them "whippings" and then make them sit in hot baths in an effort to reduce signs of bruising. Hector told investigators that Flowers did this to Brooklyn just before her death. Hector also said she tried to stop Flowers, but Flowers held a gun to her, so she could not help her daughter. According to court records, child protective services removed the other children after Brooklyn's death.

Investigators with the Dept. of Children and Family Services later said they determined that both Flowers and Hector were caretakers of the children at the time of Brooklyn's death. They said there was a lack of supervision in the household as well as neglect and passive abuse by both defendants. Hector disagreed with their findings in court. For her part, Hector said she was also a victim of Flowers' abuse.

Flowers was originally charged with second-degree murder in the case. He pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in May of 2018, according to court records.

Hector pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in January of 2019. During a court hearing, records show that despite the plea, she still maintained her innocence, saying she didn't believe she would get a fair trial. She said she didn't trust her life in the hands of jurors. She vehemently denied taking part in her daughter's death but said she was risking her life by going to trial on a second-degree murder charge and said she had no faith in the justice system. Hector told the court that she did not abuse or physically punish her child.

Prosecutors said that both defendants blamed each other for the child's death and they were confident in taking the case to trial if need be.

Hector was sentenced under this provision according to Louisiana law
    :

"C.(1) Except as provided for in Paragraph (2) of this Subsection, whoever commits the crime of negligent homicide shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than five years, fined not more than five thousand dollars, or both.
    "

According to court documents, Flowers and Hector will both be given credit for any time served since their arrests. Both were booked into the Ouachita Correctional Center on Tuesday to serve their sentences.

I am sorry for your sister, you, and your siblings. Unfortunately, life is not always fair. I wish healing for all of you.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...-scout-brister

https://www.facebook.com/clarissa.n.brister

Mom's facebook is active. She has a pic of her kids in the photos. Brooklyn is the one with darker hair.

5 years?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

So she still lied after telling the police what "really" happened. She said she was in the bath face down but coroner said she didn't drown.

The GoFundMe is still up and the mom is the beneficiary. Crazy
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

Hey, Its Jorja Brister (Brooklyn's Second oldest sister). I have no memories of hanging out with her with really sucks but I'm learning to deal with those now and I am reaching out for help because I never grieved properly. I remember staying at the guys house (Russell flowers) there was never really any food and he had a pet wolf that would walk around it was the sweetest thing at that house. I remember one time there was a dog outside that was hungry and he told us to kill it. Or when my ex cousin would be learning how to use the bathroom if he didn't he would have to wear his wet underwear on his head for about an hour. If yall want to know anything go ahead and ask i need to talk about it.

Jorja,

Thank you for being willing to share. If any of us ask anything that is uncomfortable, please let us know and don't feel like you have to answer everything. I saw where your mom and her boyfriend only got 5 years for what happened. To me, that is a gross injustice. However, by recently visiting your mom's FB, I feel like she may have some regrets about the past and losing Brooklyn. Do you think I'm right or wrong? Does she have regrets? Is she a part of her children's lives now ... in a good way?

Clarrisa Hammond was my step mom. According to her Facebook she moved on pretty quick. The last time I saw her it was at the funeral for Brooklyn. She probably has regrets because she got arrested for it because to me she moved on quick and found a new family. When she was dating that guy she was still married to my dad. But at the funeral she cried and then after that my siblings got taken away and she had visitation but I don't think now she does. Its her child so she probably regrets things like lying to the police but according to police records there was always abuse and she had many places you could've gone.

Clarrisa Hammond was my step mom. According to her Facebook she moved on pretty quick. The last time I saw her it was at the funeral for Brooklyn. She probably has regrets because she got arrested for it because to me she moved on quick and found a new family. When she was dating that guy she was still married to my dad. But at the funeral she cried and then after that my siblings got taken away and she had visitation but I don't think now she does. Its her child so she probably regrets things like lying to the police but according to police records there was always abuse and she had many places you could've gone.
    How has your dad dealt with all of this?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

How long was she your stepmom, and did you ever witness her abuse?

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Hey, Its Jorja Brister (Brooklyn's Second oldest sister). I have no memories of hanging out with her with really sucks but I'm learning to deal with those now and I am reaching out for help because I never grieved properly. I remember staying at the guys house (Russell flowers) there was never really any food and he had a pet wolf that would walk around it was the sweetest thing at that house. I remember one time there was a dog outside that was hungry and he told us to kill it. Or when my ex cousin would be learning how to use the bathroom if he didn't he would have to wear his wet underwear on his head for about an hour. If yall want to know anything go ahead and ask i need to talk about it.
    Welcome and I'm glad that you're looking for a way to grieve. As Up2Trouble mentioned, don't feel obligated to answer questions that make you feel uncomfortable. If anything, we're a good outlet to listen to how you feel about it all and offer our advice or just be a sounding board. The name of the site can be off putting, but realize that many of the current and past members here landed here because we lost someone and needed to talk it out with strangers. A lot of us have become friends through the years as a result, but it's nice to know that you have someplace to let it out on to people that care who are anonymous.

I'm so sorry for what you've had to go through with losing her and being exposed to that person. It wasn't right.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

She was my step mom for about 7 years i think. Being that i was under the age of 10 i can barely recall any abuse) i remember some things listed below
    -One time after church (i was about 4 or 5 and with my older sister who was one year older than me) and we were kids and we couldn't really be quiet during church because were kids and its quiet and after i know she spanked us with a belt because we couldn't be quiet
    -she would tell me and my sister that we don't even know our dad and that he loves her more than us
    -she stole me and my sisters birthday money
    -and my dad got me and my sister guniea pigs and we had them for a few months then had to go home (because we went down there for summers) and then she "forgot" to feed them so they both passed away
    -her brother was the same as her but more harsh to his kids

We never really talked about it to him. But he got super depressed he would go to work more often (works for 2 months at a time out of state) and i never said her name or talked about the things she loved but now we go to her grave and put up decorations. and since she wanted to go to Paris we have so much Eiffel tower memorabilia

She was my step mom for about 7 years i think. Being that i was under the age of 10 i can barely recall any abuse) i remember some things listed below
    -One time after church (i was about 4 or 5 and with my older sister who was one year older than me) and we were kids and we couldn't really be quiet during church because were kids and its quiet and after i know she spanked us with a belt because we couldn't be quiet
    -she would tell me and my sister that we don't even know our dad and that he loves her more than us
    -she stole me and my sisters birthday money
    -and my dad got me and my sister guniea pigs and we had them for a few months then had to go home (because we went down there for summers) and then she "forgot" to feed them so they both passed away
    -her brother was the same as her but more harsh to his kids
    Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through any of that.

I'm glad that you are able to grieve as a family. I'm sure your sister is smiling from above at her Paris.

Thread Information