Thread: During Fleet Week, Manhattan hotel turns away Navy officer in her dress whites for breaking the dress code policy.

During Fleet Week, Manhattan hotel turns away Navy officer in her dress whites for breaking the dress code policy.

A swanky Manhattan hotel turned away a Navy officer from entering its lounge during Fleet Week because her white uniform was against the dress code policy.

According to the New York Daily News, a bouncer at The Standard hotel blocked the Navy officer at the elevator to the lounge at about 8 p.m. Saturday when she arrived with three other people. The Navy officer was in her uniform; the three other people were dressed in cocktail attire, the paper reported.

?We walked in, went to the elevator and were stopped by a doorman who said, ?Hey man, there?s a dress code,? said Ryan O?Connor, the husband of the sailor?s cousin. ?I said, ?Wait, are you rejecting us because someone is in a service uniform?? He kind of rolled his eyes and wouldn?t budge."

The Standard responded to the group by email Sunday and invited the sailor, who is stationed in Virginia and requested anonymity, to return to the hotel.

?We most certainly do appreciate and take a lot of pride (in) all the young people giving their lives to defend our nation,? manager Nayara Branco wrote to the family, according to The News.

?As per regular protocol, our team at the Top of The Standard is instructed to enforce a dress code -- which obviously should not apply to military uniforms. Once again, our sincere apologies for the miscommunication at our end, the issue has been brought to all of our team?s attention and it will certainly not repeat itself,? the manager at Top of The Standard & Le Bain said.

O?Connor said the apology was a first step, but the hotel has to make sure it follows through.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/27...ng-fleet-week/

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Sorry, but it was a dress uniform, and you wouldn't let her in? That guy needs to be fired for his blatant stupidity. What a fucking retard.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Sorry, but it was a dress uniform, and you wouldn't let her in? That guy needs to be fired for his blatant stupidity. What a fucking retard.
    This is what happens when human beings let themselves become automations. Blindly following orders is dangerous, and people think it's hyperbole but it really is a slippery slope.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    This is what happens when human beings let themselves become automations. Blindly following orders is dangerous, and people think it's hyperbole but it really is a slippery slope.
    Right? Did they learn nothing from A Few Good Men ??

Right? Did they learn nothing from A Few Good Men ??
    Are you saying this seaman couldn't handle the truth??

Are you saying this seaman couldn't handle the truth??
    More like he was sleeping under the blanket of freedom she helps provide and then questioning the clothes she occasionally wears to provide it.

Eh, I side eye whether this even really happened, or what the actual circumstances were...such as they were trying to get into a private party.

I have a friend who works there, I think I will ask him.

This sounds like conservative bullshit to me.

Eh, I side eye whether this even really happened, or what the actual circumstances were...such as they were trying to get into a private party.

I have a friend who works there, I think I will ask him.

This sounds like conservative bullshit to me.
    Standard hotel apologizes after Navy officer turned away from lounge during Fleet Week

This bar sure showed one sailor some stinking standards.

Manhattan?s swanky Standard hotel has issued an apology after a Navy officer wearing her iconic white uniform was turned away by a bouncer ? during Fleet Week.

The sailor was blocked at the elevator to the Top of The Standard lounge around 8 p.m. Saturday when she arrived with three others who wore cocktail attire, one member of the spurned group told the Daily News on Monday.

?We walked in, went to the elevator and were stopped by a doorman who said, ?Hey man, there?s a dress code,? said Ryan O?Connor, the husband of the sailor?s cousin. ?I said, ?Wait, are you rejecting us because someone is in a service uniform?? He kind of rolled his eyes and wouldn?t budge.

?I was wearing a $400 blazer and dress shoes. We were all dressed nice. The only person sticking out was the Navy officer,? he said. The sailor requested anonymity.

O?Connor, a 32-year-old tech consultant, said he asked someone at the hotel?s front desk to intervene on his group?s behalf and was told the decision was up to the ?lounge?s discretion.?

?We were all shocked and upset,? he said. ?This was Memorial Day weekend and walking distance from Ground Zero. This should have been a no-brainer.?

The Rhode Island sailor stationed in Virginia declined to give an interview Monday, but her relatives spoke out and sent an email to The Standard?s management expressing their outrage at her treatment.

A general manager responded to the family by email Sunday and invited the sailor back.

?We most certainly do appreciate and take a lot of pride (in) all the young people giving their lives to defend our nation,? manager Nayara Branco wrote to the family.

?As per regular protocol, our team at the Top of The Standard is instructed to enforce a dress code ? which obviously should not apply to military uniforms. Once again, our sincere apologies for the miscommunication at our end, the issue has been brought to all of our team?s attention and it will certainly not repeat itself,? the manager at Top of The Standard & Le Bain said.

?It would be a great honor to host her and her fellow colleagues? at some point in the future, she wrote.
    See also: http://www.floridanewstime.com/regio...ress-code.html

http://consumerist.com/2015/05/27/ny...er-in-uniform/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...leet-Week.html

Right, an upscale hotel will apologize after bad publicity, regardless of whether something happened or not, is what I'm saying.

i hate dress codes in any form. i mean, i will always try to dress appropriate for an occasion, but my idea of what is dressy may be different than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I talked to my friend and he said "Yeah this shit happens all the time, it's The Standard, it's a place for coked out rich teenagers to hang out, people should expect that shit."

I talked to my friend and he said "Yeah this shit happens all the time, it's The Standard, it's a place for coked out rich teenagers to hang out, people should expect that shit."
    lol wow.

So they'll allow coked out little assholes but not a woman in a full dress uniform serving in the military? Yeah, I think the bouncer needs to be bounced. Asshole.

So they'll allow coked out little assholes but not a woman in a full dress uniform serving in the military? Yeah, I think the bouncer needs to be bounced. Asshole.
    Get on it, Batman! Your not the hero Manhattan Hotels needs, but your the one that Manhattan Hotels deserve

I couldn't get into the bowling alley above Port Authority with a Kangol on, so yea......

Yeah, it's a night club. I thought soldiers were used to following rules. Serving in the military isn't an all access pass, it's just a free meal at Dennys.

Yeah, it's a night club. I thought soldiers were used to following rules. Serving in the military isn't an all access pass, it's just a free meal at Dennys.

You know how it is in NYC during fleet week, Everyone wears their uniforms so they can use it as an excuse to push their way around. There's no fucking reason someone going out on the town, military or not, can't change into real clothing other than they think the uniform will get the free shit.

You know how it is in NYC during fleet week, Everyone wears their uniforms so they can use it as an excuse to push their way around. There's no fucking reason someone going out on the town, military or not, can't change into real clothing other than they think the uniform will get the free shit.
    That's a pretty broad generalization

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    That's a pretty broad generalization
    Well, not everyone, but people who decide to go out on the town in their uniform are using it to eke rewards. if everyone has a dress code to follow at a club and you show up in your uniform, what are you expecting? Special treatment. It's New York, darling. Everyone thinks they're someone special.

I was on the side of the seaman at first, now "I want my tip back."

Fuck all that.

Thread Information