Thread: James W. Nevils III (5) Died after Being Mauled by Dog

James W. Nevils III (5) Died after Being Mauled by Dog

Citations Issued in Chicago Boy's Dog-Mauling Death
    Both the dog and 5-year-old James W. Nevils III were killed in the attack

The owner of a dog that mauled a 5-year-old boy to death in Chicago on Memorial Day has been cited by police, according to authorities.
    Chicago Police News Affairs said the owner was cited for not having an animal rabies vaccination and for not having the proper animal license required in Chicago. No criminal charges were filed as of Wednesday, officials said.

Both the dog and 5-year-old James W. Nevils III were killed in the attack, which happened around 9:30 p.m. in the 8900 block of South Carpenter Street, police said.
    A witness said she heard a woman screaming and saw the child's neck in the dog's mouth.

"Me and my brother ran over and I started calling 911 and my brother came across the street with a chair from our porch and tried to hit the dog with the chair but it wasn't working," said neighbor Bianca White.
    Several neighbors rushed to the scene to help the boy and some began attacking the dog, witnesses said.

"We started hitting the dog with a brick, my brother grabbed a pole and kept hitting it until it died," said resident Marquis Lewis. "I wasn't thinking about nothing but getting the dog off the baby."
    Police said the dog was dead when officers arrived and the young boy was rushed to Advocate Christ Medical Center with "traumatic injuries." He was pronounced dead at 10:08 p.m., officials said.

"My heart hurts that we couldn't save him," said 19-year-old Lamar Lewis, who rushed to help save the boy.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...#ixzz3bMtAjzdd
    Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

Uggh that's horrible

This is horrifying. What a terrible, scary way to go for a little one.

Rest in peace, James.

So, since the dog wasn't vaxed for rabies, how likely is it that he was indeed rabid? I hate deaths like this, they can be avoided with a little responsibility and hard work on the part of the pet-owner.

Reading about how so many people came pouring out of the woodwork to help this little boy gives me hope. Hopefully they'll rally around James' mother right now, she'll need it.:-(
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Is the dog OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

This is so horrible on so many levels. Feel so terrible for James, no child should ever die this way. I also feel terrible about the dog...getting beat to death. I understand doing everything you can to get him/her off the child. I keep on thinking that if you own a dog, you need to know how to handle that dog. It is part of responsible pet ownership. I have taken my dogs to the dog park and when they get into fights, you have to know how to handle it. You never want to be on the wrong end but there are things you can do to break up what they are fighting with. Most dogs will let go of what they have in their mouth if you grab them by the hind legs. It confuses them. If you fear getting bit, you use the leash to lasso their hind legs. This is the reason I hate some dog owners. Learn everything you can about the breed before you try to buy/adopt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I find it hilarious that YOU are acting all high and mighty toward us when you're posting on here just like anyone else and in addition, defending a murderer. A child murderer, at that. Go fuck a Popsicle.

it must have been horrible for the woman who killed the dog. bashing somethings brains out sounds revolting.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by pinkhair4me View Post
    Rest in peace, James.

So, since the dog wasn't vaxed for rabies, how likely is it that he was indeed rabid? I hate deaths like this, they can be avoided with a little responsibility and hard work on the part of the pet-owner.

Reading about how so many people came pouring out of the woodwork to help this little boy gives me hope. Hopefully they'll rally around James' mother right now, she'll need it.:-(
    It isn't out of the realm of possibility that the dog had rabies. He could have also had something like Distemper which affects the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Is the dog OK?
    He died RON-keep up!
    Last edited by Angiebla; 05-27-2015 at 07:41 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Good.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I am still afraid of Great Danes to this day because when I was 4, my mom took me to her friends house, who owned a Great Dane. They had raspberry bushes, so my moms friend gave me a little container and told me to pick as many as I liked. The dog's tie was right beside them, and I stopped and turned to pet the dog, which I had done a million times before, but this time it grabbed me by the left side of my skull and locked it's jaws and started shaking me. As soon as my mom and her friends saw this, they did the same as these people did, tried to get it to drop me, but they couldn't because of the jaws being locked on me. So finally the friend hit it hard enough to knock it unconscious, and they were able to get me out and called an ambulance. Thankfully they got me fast enough to keep me alive. A quarter of an inch to the left, I would have lost my left eye, 1/3 of an inch lower, it would had torn open my carotid artery. I still have a big scar over my left eyebrow

2015 Dog Bite Related Fatalities in the U.S.

2015 Dog Bite Related Fatalities in the U.S.
    Updated after each fatality following fact finding research

15 Dog Bite Related Fatality
    by Breed.
    10 by Pit Bull/Pit Bull Mix
    1 by Rottweiler
    4 Unknown

By Age :
    06 Children
    09 Adult

By State :

NM - 1 death
    MD - 1 death
    FL - 1 death
    IA - 1 death
    AR - 1 death
    PA - 1 death
    W. VA - 1 death
    TX - 3 death
    SD - 1 death
    AR - 1 death
    GA - 1 death
    NV - 1 death
    IL - 1 death

Names and ages of the deceased:

Unidentified Native American - about 40 y,o. - Gallup, NM - Pack of Feral Dogs [1.2.15]

Eugene W. Smith -87- Frederick, MD - 1 Pit Bull [1.7.15]

Declin Moss - 18 months - Brooksville, FL - 2 Pit Bulls [1.19.15]

Malaki Mildward - 7yrs old - College Springs, IA - 2 Pit Bull/Bull Dog Mix [1.22.15]

Fredrick Crutchfield - 63 yrs old - Johnson county, AR - Pit Bull [ 2.4.15]

TayLynn DeVaughn - 2 yrs old - Pittsburgh, PA - Pit Bull [2.22.15]

Roy Higgenbotham - 62 yrs old - WHEELING, W.Va. - Pit Bull [3.8.15]

Betty Wood - 78 yrs old - SULPHUR SPRINGS, TX - Rottweiler [3.12.15]

Julia Charging Whirlwind - 49 yrs old - WHITE RIVER, SD - Pending [3.14.15]

Detrick Johnson - 36 yrs old - JEFFERSON COUNTY, AR - 7 Pit Bulls [3.21.15]

Neta Lee Adams - 81 yrs old - WASHINGTON, GA - Pending [3.31.15]

Kenneth Ford - 79 yrs old - NYE COUNTY, NV - Pit Bulls [4.14.15]

Brayden Wilson - 2 months old - Dallas, TX - Pit Bull [4.19.15]

Gaege Anthony Ramirez - 7 yrs old - NEW BRAUNFELS, TX - Pending [5.2.15]

(1/19)

James W. Nevils III - 5 yrs old - CHICAGO, IL - Pit bull [5.26.15]

http://www.daxtonsfriends.com/2015/0...bull-fatality/
    Last edited by luvit; 05-28-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Punctuation Correction

"While we have no way to confirm a dog breed based on physical characteristics alone, the animal has features consistent with the Dogo Argentino breed," he said in an email.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...526-story.html

I had no idea what a dogo argentino was.
    Wiki
    The Dogo Argentino is a large, white, muscular dog that was developed in Argentina primarily for the purpose of big-game hunting, including wild boar;

i just want to point out that dog jaws don't lock. that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    "While we have no way to confirm a dog breed based on physical characteristics alone, the animal has features consistent with the Dogo Argentino breed," he said in an email.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...526-story.html

I had no idea what a dogo argentino was.
    Wiki

That is not a pit bull, not even close. Yet in the list of dog fatalities it says the dog was a pit. That's ridic.

They could do a DNA test to find out what the breed of the dog was, but they won't.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Detrick Johnson - 36 yrs old - JEFFERSON COUNTY, AR - 7 Pit Bulls [3.21.15]
    Dude got attacked by SEVEN pit bulls? Holy shit!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    That is not a pit bull, not even close. Yet in the list of dog fatalities it says the dog was a pit. That's ridic.

They could do a DNA test to find out what the breed of the dog was, but they won't.
    I wouldn't say 'not even close', that dog has a lot of physical similarities to a pit bull and to the average non-dog person, it would be an easy mistake to make.

Seriously defective dog to not let go while being beaten to death.

A few years ago, we had an injured bat in the backyard. I didn't want my dogs getting near it, so I called the humane society to come get it. They contacted me later to inform me that it did have rabies and wanted to be sure my animals did not have contact with it.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Sorry, I misspoke, I didn't mean like locked with some kind of locking mechanism in their jaw, I just meant it chomped down onto me and they couldn't get it to let go until it was knocked unconscious

oh yeah. i just hate that term because literally hundreds of thousands of people out there actually believe certain dogs have locking jaws.

oh yeah. i just hate that term because literally hundreds of thousands of people out there actually believe certain dogs have locking jaws.
    Yeah, I should have been more specific, I forget sometimes that people think that is actually a thing lol

I wouldn't say 'not even close', that dog has a lot of physical similarities to a pit bull and to the average non-dog person, it would be an easy mistake to make.
    Yeah I forget sometimes the average person doesn't know the difference. I just don't think it's fair for them to list a pit bull as the culprit when they aren't certain the dog was in fact a pit bull.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    Seriously defective dog to not let go while being beaten to death.

A few years ago, we had an injured bat in the backyard. I didn't want my dogs getting near it, so I called the humane society to come get it. They contacted me later to inform me that it did have rabies and wanted to be sure my animals did not have contact with it.
    A good way to tell if an animal has rabies is if it's out during the day when it's usually nocturnal. Even if it doesn't have rabies, usually a disease affecting the brain is to blame. Bats usually lose the ability to fly when they are affected. Good thing you spotted the bat before you let your dogs out!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Yeah I forget sometimes the average person doesn't know the difference. I just don't think it's fair for them to list a pit bull as the culprit when they aren't certain the dog was in fact a pit bull.
    Yeah, I am not a fan at all of all the hate people have for pitbulls. I've had one when I was a teenager, and I've been around a lot of others that belong to people I've known, and never once have they done anything remotely aggressive or violent.

They don't? Seriously, this is the first time I have ever had that pointed out...

Quote Originally Posted by brumby View Post
    They don't? Seriously, this is the first time I have ever had that pointed out...
    i'm pretty sure you are messing with me but you forgot to use the sarcasm font.

Quote Originally Posted by brumby View Post
    i'm pretty sure you are messing with me but you forgot to use the sarcasm font.
    Yeah, if you are, it's my fault for not being clear in what I meant. And you'd be surprised how many people think certain types of dogs can lock their jaws

Thread Information