Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide Prevention / Suicide Survivors Thread

Re: Suicide Prevention / Suicide Survivors Thread

I'd like to reiterate that if a friend or someone else you know talks about Suicide in front of you.  SAY SOMETHING TO SOMEBODY, PREFERABLY A PARENT! And do this quickly.  My best friends brother took a bottle of prescription sleeping pills with zero tolerance.  He told the girls there that he was killing himself, leave him alone, and don't call the cops.  (why he said something bothers me because I wonder if he was looking for someone to give a shit).

So they did just that...called him in dead later.  I'm not sure if they even got into any trouble over it.  But they could have saved his life with a call.  DONT take threats as "ugh, quit being so emo".  People don't usually talk about Suicide aloud really unless they've got problems, to the contrary of what most people say.  'if they talk about it all the time, they're just scaring you for attention'  Don't take a chance, not even a little one.

If you know your friend is in the act of suicide, while speaking to you ex. I'm takin' bottles of pills, talk to me till I go.  Keep them on a cellphone or keep texting, there with you if you're with them personally.  CALL 911 FAST!  Your friend may be upset with you for awhile, but it's better than dead.  And they'll get some help that they need, and eventually realize you saved their life.

Too many teenage suicides, so I feel I need to throw that out there.  Keep it in your head please!  When you're gone, it's forever.  I don't know that it is in fact a 'better' place, nobody knows really.  And what is left behind are people still alive wondering, why?  Guilty forever because they wish they could have done something. 

Great thread, Day. I recommend making it a sticky, it's easier for everyone to see that way. I put a banner for a suicide prevention hotline on my myspace.

I have never lost a friend to suicide but I'm very cautious about people who talk about  suicide. A few weeks ago a friend mentioned something along those lines and we (me and other friends) took it very seriously and made sure we talked to him, let him know we are there for him.
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;We&#39;re all fucked. It helps to remember that.&quot;<br />- George Carlin

http://www.preventsuicidenow.com/

I found this great website while I was looking at findadeath.com

Angabel got there before me but the website above is a really good one for people who are considering suicide.

This is also a good dialog that a friend gave me when I was feeling down.

[b]Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

When we are depressed, we tend to see things through the very narrow perspective of the present moment. A week or a month later, things may look completely different.

Most people who once thought about killing themselves are now glad to be alive. They say they didn't want to end their lives – they just wanted to stop the pain.

Many people at some time in their lives think about completing suicide. Most decide to live because they eventually come to realize that the crisis is temporary and death is permanent.
    On other hand, people having a crisis sometimes perceive their dilemma as inescapable and feel an utter loss of control. These are some of the feelings and thoughts they experience:

Can't stop the pain
    Can't think clearly
    Can't make decisions
    Can't see any way out
    Can't sleep, eat or work
    Can't get out of depression
    Can't make the sadness go away
    Can't see a future without pain
    Can't see themselves as worthwhile
    Can't get someone's attention
    Can't seem to get control

If someone you know exhibits these symptoms, offer help
    A community mental health agency
    A private therapist or counselor
    A school counselor or psychologist
    A family doctor
    A suicide prevention or crisis center

Please try to remember this:

This is depression talking. It stops you from seeing things as they really are.

It steals your history, your present and your future, and plays them back to you painted black.

Depression stops you being yourself. It stops you seeing, remembering and thinking clearly.

It is depression that makes you feel this way.
    Don't let depression cheat you and others out of the rest of your life.[b]

This is another good site. I bet I messed up the link, but I'm trying.&nbsp;

http://www.yellowribbon.org

These people helped me out a lot when my child tried to commit suicide.

[quote author=iowablondie link=topic=6444.msg310927#msg310927 date=1177360807]
    This is another good site. I bet I messed up the link, but I'm trying.&nbsp;

http://www.yellowribbon.org

These people helped me out a lot when my child tried to commit suicide.
    [/quote]

No you didn't, it works fine, thanks&nbsp; :-)&nbsp; Glad you are here.

[quote author=Medic link=topic=6444.msg301210#msg301210 date=1177000715]
    Angabel got there before me but the website above is a really good one for people who are considering suicide.

This is also a good dialog that a friend gave me when I was feeling down.

[b]Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

When we are depressed, we tend to see things through the very narrow perspective of the present moment. A week or a month later, things may look completely different.

Most people who once thought about killing themselves are now glad to be alive. They say they didn't want to end their lives – they just wanted to stop the pain.

Many people at some time in their lives think about completing suicide. Most decide to live because they eventually come to realize that the crisis is temporary and death is permanent.
    On other hand, people having a crisis sometimes perceive their dilemma as inescapable and feel an utter loss of control. These are some of the feelings and thoughts they experience:

Can't stop the pain
    Can't think clearly
    Can't make decisions
    Can't see any way out
    Can't sleep, eat or work
    Can't get out of depression
    Can't make the sadness go away
    Can't see a future without pain
    Can't see themselves as worthwhile
    Can't get someone's attention
    Can't seem to get control

If someone you know exhibits these symptoms, offer help
    A community mental health agency
    A private therapist or counselor
    A school counselor or psychologist
    A family doctor
    A suicide prevention or crisis center

Please try to remember this:

This is depression talking. It stops you from seeing things as they really are.
    It steals your history, your present and your future, and plays them back to you painted black.
    Depression stops you being yourself. It stops you seeing, remembering and thinking clearly.
    It is depression that makes you feel this way.
    Don't let depression cheat you and others out of the rest of your life.[b]
    [/quote]

Great post, Medic... Thanks so much for sharing that with us... What an awesome friend you have!&nbsp; :-)

[quote author=Medic link=topic=6444.msg301210#msg301210 date=1177000715]
    [b]Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.[b]
    [/quote]
    Sorry if this sounds bitchy or anything, I don't mean for it too.

That line really pisses me off, when people say it to me. I don't understand how its temporary, feeling like you want to die everyday of you life for the past 6 years.
    Its up there with &quot;I don't get why anyone would want to take there own life.&quot;

I honestly believe all the generic lines aren't the best, usually they set me off more. I don't know how other people react though, just how I feel. I think its easier just to talk, let the person tell you everything and try to help them. If they say I just need to drive, go with them on a drive, pay attention to them. Don't leave them alone until your sure they are ok, then suggest help.
    [quote author=Mr. Formaldehyde]<br />I will wship YOU!!!1[/quote]<br />[quote author=LawChick]<br />I love you back whore. Don&#39;t forget it either.<br />[/quote]

thru out the years I've known one too many a person to commit suicide... and I just wish I could have done something.. I think back to the days all where all I wanted to do was die.. and how I'd try and think of an easy way to do it.. and now.. looking back.. I'm so grateful I din't have the guts to go thru with it..

cuz things do get better.... perhaps I'm optimistic to think things can get better for everyone... but.. hell I just want to tell you out there that things CAN get better... hang in there... find out what it's like to be saggy and old...
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

Thanks&nbsp; :-)

Stephanie Gestier's friends at vampirefreaks.com have started a suicide prevention cult in her memory. They want me to tell you that they will be there to listen if you need someone to talk to.
    These aren't little susie home maker types. They are into the scenes that the media calls &quot;goth&nbsp; or emo&quot; although I abhor both terms, and probably understand the youth counterculture of today better than most others.

The cult is

We Talk to Rainbows.
    http://vampirefreaks.com/cult/wetalktoRAINBOWS

[quote author=Mortis link=topic=6444.msg319070#msg319070 date=1177604424]
    Stephanie Gestier's friends at vampirefreaks.com have started a suicide prevention cult in her memory. They want me to tell you that they will be there to listen if you need someone to talk to.
    These aren't little susie home maker types. They are into the scenes that the media calls &quot;goth&nbsp; or emo&quot; although I abhor both terms, and probably understand the youth counterculture of today better than most others.

The cult is

We Talk to Rainbows.
    [/quote]

Link please

Ren,can I please post your original post:

:From www.save.org:

The following are common misconceptions about Suicide

&nbsp; 1. &quot;People who talk about suicide won't really do it.&quot;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Not True
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Almost everyone who commits or attempts suicide has given some clue or warning. Do not ignore suicide threats. Statements like &quot;you'll be sorry when I'm dead,&quot; &quot;I can't see any way out,&quot; -- no matter how casually or jokingly said may indicate serious suicidal feelings.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    &nbsp; 2. &quot;Anyone who tries to kill him/herself must be crazy.&quot;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Most suicidal people are not psychotic or insane. They must be upset, grief-stricken, depressed or despairing, but extreme distress and emotional pain are not necessarily signs of mental illness.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    &nbsp; 3. &quot;If a person is determined to kill him/herself, nothing is going to stop him/her.&quot;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Even the most severely depressed person has mixed feelings about death, wavering until the very last moment between wanting to live and wanting to die. Most suicidal people do not want death; they want the pain to stop. The impulse to end it all, however overpowering, does not last forever.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    &nbsp; 4. &quot;People who commit suicide are people who were unwilling to seek help.&quot;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Studies of suicide victims have shown that more then half had sought medical help within six month before their deaths.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    &nbsp; 5. &quot;Talking about suicide may give someone the idea.&quot;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; You don't give a suicidal person morbid ideas by talking about suicide. The opposite is true --bringing up the subject of suicide and discussing it openly is one of the most helpful things you can do.&quot;

I run a suicide-prevention myspace page.&nbsp; This would help greatly. &lt;3

Thanks, Diet Pepsi! You have a heart of gold as well as being a delicious caffeinated beverage.

Aw spank you Morbid!! You probably heard of the page it's Josh Ballard's old page.&nbsp; I tried to turn it into a place to help kids going through the same thing as him after some very not nice people from a well-known website hacked into it, deleted his info, and used it to make fun of him. :( What sick people.

[quote author=dietpepsi007 link=topic=6444.msg321997#msg321997 date=1177687953]
    Aw spank you Morbid!! You probably heard of the page it's Josh Ballard's old page.&nbsp; I tried to turn it into a place to help kids going through the same thing as him after some very not nice people from a well-known website hacked into it, deleted his info, and used it to make fun of him. :( What sick people.

[/quote]

Wow! Yeah we talked about that quite a bit here. To be honest Josh's story was the one that drew me into MDS. I thought it was pretty horrifying that it became such a huge internet joke. :x&nbsp; If you look into the media section here I have mentioned Josh a few times in the interviews I did.

Suicide = not funny.

Not trying to make extra work, but if these are all good links....maybe add them to the OP..........

&quot;Wow! Yeah we talked about that quite a bit here. To be honest Josh's story was the one that drew me into MDS. I thought it was pretty horrifying that it became such a huge internet joke.&nbsp; If you look into the media section here I have mentioned Josh a few times in the interviews I did.

Suicide = not funny.&quot;

It's not funny at all.&nbsp; It's a terrible painful thing for someone to feel that things are soo bad that there is no other path.&nbsp; Those people making fun of him were sickos.&nbsp; Had the nerve to send me death threats through myspace mail and viruses through friend adds on myspace that really messed up my computer.&nbsp; They somehow found my main myspace and I had to lay low for months.&nbsp; Psychos. All they wanted was the traffic from the page to promote their silly little website.&nbsp; They didn't want to help anyone but themselves. They even went as far as saying well since he did this he belongs to the internet now!! What the hell??!?! What normal sane person says things like that??! It shouldn't be about making fun of people who do this or are even thinking of doing this. It should be about helping them and helping those around them to learn the signs.&nbsp; That's why I don't even put my name or anything on the page.&nbsp; Not about me it's about helping others.&nbsp; Okay bye for now. &lt;3

Many health insurance cards (U.S) have behavioral health numbers on the back. For example mine says:

For behavioral health call: -------------- Licensed therapists on staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for help and referral.

Those lines are staffed by people who can refer you to help immediately that your insurance will probably cover.

SOAD

[quote author=dietpepsi007 link=topic=6444.msg322043#msg322043 date=1177689583]

It's not funny at all.&nbsp; It's a terrible painful thing for someone to feel that things are soo bad that there is no other path.&nbsp; Those people making fun of him were sickos.&nbsp; Had the nerve to send me death threats through myspace mail and viruses through friend adds on myspace that really messed up my computer.&nbsp; &nbsp;They somehow found my main myspace and I had to lay low for months.&nbsp; Psychos. All they wanted was the traffic from the page to promote their silly little website.&nbsp; They didn't want to help anyone but themselves. They even went as far as saying well since he did this he belongs to the internet now!! What the hell??!?! What normal sane person says things like that??! It shouldn't be about making fun of people who do this or are even thinking of doing this. It should be about helping them and helping those around them to learn the signs.&nbsp; That's why I don't even put my name or anything on the page.&nbsp; Not about me it's about helping others.&nbsp; Okay bye for now. &lt;3
    [/quote]

The page that is linked to a myspace through here on my profile is a joke josh page.....it was originally made for some laughs between a few friends.
    Well anyway, most of my friends requests were from people making fun etc (which personally I dont really have a problem with, everyones right to an opinion etc) but I got some messages from a person who is a bit troubled.
    Now im not prepared to discuss the details but I have done all I can to try and help them, now I dunno if they will take my advice but if what the person tells me is true then I really hope for their sake that something is done.

I think its very wrong of people to send you death threats just because you are trying to help people...I mean WTF is up with that.
    I firmly believe that everyone has a right to have their say....the &quot;do-gooders&quot; with their help/memorial pages and the internet /b/tards who make fun pages.........but I dont think that both sides should sit there ramming their arguments in each others faces, they should simply agree to disagree and leave it at that

What if you're not quite like &quot;i'm ready to commit suicide right now&quot;...you're just severely depressed, with severe anxiety....

is it ok to call this number?

If I called it what would it s how up as on a cell phone bill? my mom pays for my cell phone so I don't want her to know I called a suicide hotline..

[quote author=ImpalePonytail link=topic=6444.msg365011#msg365011 date=1179444305]
    What if you're not quite like &quot;i'm ready to commit suicide right now&quot;...you're just severely depressed, with severe anxiety....

If I called it what would it s how up as on a cell phone bill? my mom pays for my cell phone so I don't want her to know I called a suicide hotline..
    [/quote]

Are you insured? Would your mother let you see a psychiatrist?

[quote author=Morbid Curiousity link=topic=6444.msg365020#msg365020 date=1179444538]
    Are you insured? Would your mother let you see a psychiatrist?
    [/quote]

I am..but not for much longer. I have like a month left of insurance.

I was seeing a counselor in the past because insurance gave me 3 30 minute sessions at no charge...I felt like each time we discussed the same things..and a lot of the time he was just asking me about school, and how school was going and what I was working on in school....

I don't know..I don't think it really helped me..

[quote author=ImpalePonytail link=topic=6444.msg365011#msg365011 date=1179444305]

[/quote]

Can you buy a cheap SIM card for your phone and call from that?&nbsp; Or call from another phone?&nbsp;

Thread Information