Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide Prevention / Suicide Survivors Thread

Suicide Prevention / Suicide Survivors Thread

If you or anyone you know is considering suicide, please call:

1-800-SUICIDE
    or
    1-800-784-2433

Local counselors are available 24/7.

PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE, I really hate posting these deaths.

Thanks,
    DBD

http://hopeline.com/

P.S.
    If anyone has any further links or information regarding suicide prevention, please post them here.

"Amusing quips", save 'em.

Re: Suicide Prevention / Suicide Survivors Thread

From www.save.org:

The following are common misconceptions about Suicide

1. "People who talk about suicide won't really do it."

Not True
          Almost everyone who commits or attempts suicide has given some clue or warning. Do not ignore suicide threats. Statements like "you'll be sorry when I'm dead," "I can't see any way out," -- no matter how casually or jokingly said may indicate serious suicidal feelings.

2. "Anyone who tries to kill him/herself must be crazy."

Not True
          Most suicidal people are not psychotic or insane. They must be upset, grief-stricken, depressed or despairing, but extreme distress and emotional pain are not necessarily signs of mental illness.

3. "If a person is determined to kill him/herself, nothing is going to stop him/her."

Not True
          Even the most severely depressed person has mixed feelings about death, wavering until the very last moment between wanting to live and wanting to die. Most suicidal people do not want death; they want the pain to stop. The impulse to end it all, however overpowering, does not last forever.

4. "People who commit suicide are people who were unwilling to seek help."

Not True
          Studies of suicide victims have shown that more then half had sought medical help within six month before their deaths.

5. "Talking about suicide may give someone the idea."

Not True
          You don't give a suicidal person morbid ideas by talking about suicide. The opposite is true --bringing up the subject of suicide and discussing it openly is one of the most helpful things you can do.

Wow, awesome info passed along. I've always taken threats seriously, no matter if the person seems liekly to or not.

This is some really good info, thx Ren.
    Congratulations. You've found the secret MDS signature. Please send your answers to "Old Blue", care of the funny farm, Chalford...

i'll be posting bak with links later. i'm just "bookmarking" this thread till my meeting is out.
    [quote author=eliot.eliot]God, this is why i love you..You're witty..almost too witty...[/quote][quote author=eliot.eliot]I'm putty in your hands.[/quote]

excellent thread.  if just one person takes the advice, it's well worth it.  kudos to dbd and ren 

well done ladies...I bet this gets the message to a LOT of people who need to see it.
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

A girl I went to school with comitted suicide my senior year.  For months before she always talked about it and everyone seem to brush it aside.  The day before she killed herself she gave away a ton of stuff.  We had Art together and she gave me her sketching set....I wish that I could go back and to something to let her know that she was not alone......

Good addition Ren.  Those are so VERY important.  I'm sitting back on this for a bit.....
    I don't enter into mental warfare with morons.  It's immoral and unethical.  They have no ammunition.  AIDA convention regulations, article VII, Paragraph XII  

Good call ladies.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

People just need to listen..even if you think someone might just want your attention, why not give them five minutes of your time just to make sure they won't hurt themselves?

If someone is in this bad of a place and they choose to confide in you, it's big.
    How you react has a huge impact on their mental state and what choices they make.

Thank you, ladies, so very, very much.  I honestly was thinking about this very thing today... losing someone I love to it, I can vouch for the part about their having seen a dr., possibly still under his care. I have read some things from some of our own MDS people along the topic of suicide the past few days, and I have thought of these people often, as well. Ren hit the nail on the head when she said that they just often want the pain to end, not necessarily that they want to die.  It is so tragic for someone in that state of mind to feel that they have no hope of ever seeing things change, of feeling so worthless, or many of the other reasons that people feel they need to snuff out their life for.  The mental torment they must be in to choose that method to escape... It is truly, truly heartbreaking.  I was just telling my Mom before I came home that it almost seems to be epidemic.  Kudos to you guys for this thread.  It should help many, many people, for sure.

Thanks to everyone who is adding info to this thread. We've been meaning to put this up for a long time and it's overdue... Thanks Day for doing it when I have been lax.

This is an important topic and I think the discussion will be interesting. Like Day said, PLEASE keep the jibber jabber out of this thread or we will have to delete it.

A lot of visitors to this site lurk because of the subject of suicide. If you need someone to talk to please use the numbers above or even PM one of the mods and we can direct you to someone to talk to.

For the UK and Irish Republic:

http://www.samaritans.org.uk/

Anyone from the NY/NJ area

http://www.theovernight.org/

I think I am gonna do this.  If anyone wants to sponsor me let me know. 

i dunno if this ones any good but i'll post it, i got it from google

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis. If you need help, please dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255). You will be routed to the closest possible crisis center in your area. With over 120 crisis centers across the country, our mission is to provide immediate assistance to anyone seeking mental health services. Call for yourself, or someone you care about. Your call is free and confidential.

Para obtener asistencia en español durante las 24 horas, llame al 1-888-628-9454
    Why should I call the Lifeline?
    From immediate suicidal crisis to information about mental health, crisis centers in our network are equiped to take a wide range of calls. Some of the reasons to call 1-800-273-TALK are listed below.

* Call to speak with someone who cares
        * Call if you feel you might be in danger of hurting yourself
        * Call to find referrals to mental health services in your area
        * Call to speak to a crisis worker about someone you're concerned about
        * Find out more

this one has hotlines by states on the site

http://suicidehotlines.com/

National Suicide Hotlines USA
    United States of America

Toll-Free / 24 hours a day / 7 days a week

1-800-SUICIDE*   1-800-273-TALK
    1-800-784-2433*        1-800-273-8255

1-800-799-4TTY (4889)
    Deaf Hotline

PLEASE HELP SAVE 1-800-SUICIDE !!

Ironic.  This morning one of our employees was a "no call, no show", which is very unlike him.  I called his cell phone and finally his home.  He still lives with his Mom.  His aunt answered the phone and said that they had a family emergency.  She sounded really out of.  Right before I left work tonight she called again to inform me that he had attempted suicide.  This kid is a big old lug of a guy who is a bit of a misfit with a heart of gold.  All I can think of right now is how I didn't say hello to him when I saw him at work the other morning.  I always fuckin' say hello. 

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=6444.msg283731#msg283731 date=1176327814]

1-800-SUICIDE
    or
    1-800-784-2433

Thanks,
    DBD

P.S.
    If anyone has any further links or information regarding suicide prevention, please post them here.

"Amusing quips", save 'em.
    [/quote]

Thank you for posting this. I'm so glad someone did, It really needed to be done.

These people that considered themselves "goth" or "emo" would always talk about death and how life would be better for them if they just died. Nobody paid any mind to it because of there personality and everything which wasn't right. And then when they would attempt, and not suceed. they would still say it's apart of being goth or emo. (I am not gothic or emo, i'm just saying what used to go on back in school) until one day a girl died from attempting.

I think number's like that should always be out in the open. People are thinking about death all the time. Some people think about it, and know they won't do it. And some people think about it, and think about considering it. I alway's take people seriously about this kind of stuff.

Ah, I just started typing on here. And the typing's slow with alot of yellow mark's and it's fustrating..lol.

lol welcome to the posting world ^_^
    Yeah the yellow is the spelling cow..he can be turned off by checking the box underneath the posting box but  everyone here does appreciate proper spelling..just click the yellow words and it'll give you options for the correct spelling. You'll get a hang of it eventually.

I agree about the whole goth thing..lots of them are just saying that sort of thing for attention and to fit into the clique, but for every 100 attention whores there's one lost kid who is genuinely suffering and thinking about hurting themselves.
    It's annoying to have to take them all seriously, but if it saves one person from killing themselves it's worth it in my opinion.

A girl I knew at high school was threatening to kill herself. She was quite over weight and obviously depressed.
    I wasn't friends with her, we'd never even spoke. I'd overheard her friends speaking about it and how they thought she was pathetic. I felt so sorry for her.
    I wrote her a letter, just telling her how beautiful and nice of a person she was. I asked her to rethink what she was doing because things would get better. I felt so stupid writing it because I thought she may think I was creepy or something, but I figured it was better to have someone think I was strange rather than dead.
    She came into school after the weekend and told me that Saturday night was the night it was meant to end.
    She read the letter I wrote her before she was supposed to take the concoction of pills she had. It made her change her mind.
    I dunno if it was the fact that I was a complete stranger, or just the fact someone just cared.
    It's amazing what such a small gesture can do.
    Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.<br />

[quote author=Ren link=topic=6444.msg283890#msg283890 date=1176333558]
    People just need to listen..even if you think someone might just want your attention, why not give them five minutes of your time just to make sure they won't hurt themselves?

If someone is in this bad of a place and they choose to confide in you, it's big.
    How you react has a huge impact on their mental state and what choices they make.
    [/quote]
    That is so true.... Here's another common misconception:

&quot;If someone really wants to commit suicide, they'll be honest about it, because deep inside, they really want help.&quot;

I confided in a friend that I was so afraid that Michelle was wanting to end her life.&nbsp; I told him and his wife that I really was afraid for her.&nbsp; They said what I just mentioned above, and he walked right over to his phone and called Michelle and asked her if she was considering it.&nbsp; She said no, but thanked him for his concern.&nbsp; Knowing Michelle as I did, of course I knew that was a mask.&nbsp; Amazing that some people are so sure they have all the answers, that it never even crosses their mind that the person can lie easily.&nbsp; In fact, many people who have suicidal thoughts, as Michelle wrote in her blogs/lj, become very good at putting on the mask.&nbsp; The person next to you, so to speak, can be thinking of it, and you may never even know it, as mentioned by andyniz.&nbsp; This thread is an awesome beginning to increase awareness of this issue.&nbsp; It would be great if someone could come up with a legitmate list of 'signs/symptoms of someone who's contemplating suicide'... Not to go on a 'witch-hunt', and not that every case will have every sign/symptom, but that the potential for knowing what to be on alert for would surely be heightened.

[quote author=bekkyboo1985 link=topic=6444.msg291871#msg291871 date=1176635550]
    A girl I knew at high school was threatening to kill herself. She was quite over weight and obviously depressed.
    I wasn't friends with her, we'd never even spoke. I'd overheard her friends speaking about it and how they thought she was pathetic. I felt so sorry for her.
    I wrote her a letter, just telling her how beautiful and nice of a person she was. I asked her to rethink what she was doing because things would get better. I felt so stupid writing it because I thought she may think I was creepy or something, but I figured it was better to have someone think I was strange rather than dead.
    She came into school after the weekend and told me that Saturday night was the night it was meant to end.
    She read the letter I wrote her before she was supposed to take the concoction of pills she had. It made her change her mind.
    I dunno if it was the fact that I was a complete stranger, or just the fact someone just cared.
    It's amazing what such a small gesture can do.

[/quote]that's pretty fucking awesome.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

[quote author=Karalicious link=topic=6444.msg292668#msg292668 date=1176685143]
    that's pretty fucking awesome.
    [/quote]
    I agree....seriously? you saved her life...no doubt
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=6444.msg283731#msg283731 date=1176327814]

1-800-SUICIDE
    or
    1-800-784-2433

Thanks,
    DBD

P.S.

&quot;Amusing quips&quot;, save 'em.
    [/quote]

Haven't been on in a while and saw this subject and thought it was terrific for someone to start on here... Nice to know that there are still people out there care trying to make a difference instead of just making comments!!!&nbsp; Thanks, DBD

Thread Information