Thread: Mason DeCosmo (2) Injuries Consistent with Homicide

Mason DeCosmo (2) Injuries Consistent with Homicide

KINGSTON - Toddler Mason DeCosmo's battered, bruised and scraped body was seen by an Ulster County Court jury viewing autopsy photos Tuesday, as an expert witness said this scene is consistent with homicide.

The murder trial of Kenneth Stahli, accused of killing DeCosmo, 2, continues Wednesday with Judge Donald Williams hoping to wrap up the presentations by Thursday.

The graphic testimony came from a New York City expert, Dr. Jennifer Hammers, of the city's medical examiner office.

She said DeCosmo had about 80 separate injuries, some recent and some a few days old.

One by one, she pointed them out and explained many of them despite objections from defense attorney Andrew Kossover that were overruled by Judge Donald Williams.

Among key observations were these:

* A broken rib, a few days old, required a fast force on the rib cage and was "highly unlikely to be caused by a fall or accident," Hammers said.

* Internal injuries in the abdomen were caused by "a large amount of force ... something needs to push the abdominal wall," she said.

* A pooling of blood in the abdomen amounted to 450 milliliters, which Hammers said was about equal to "half of a bottle of a liter of soda," and close to half of what his entire body would contain.

* An injury inside his mouth would require something like "a slap to the face ... a shearing force," she said.

* Head injuries seen on both sides of the forehead are not likely caused by falling down but suggest "a child who is shaken with injuries to the head."

Hammers concluded that the cause of death at the moment he died was primarily blood loss.

"And the manner of death was homicide," Hammers said.

She based her testimony on materials, including photos and microscopic slides of tissue, that came out of an autopsy conducted by Dr. Dennis Chute, Dutchess County's chief medical examiner.

DeCosmo died Aug. 5, 2014 at Vassar Brothers Medical Center in the City of Poughkeepsie. He was living with his mother, Kaitlin Wolfert, in Milton, where Stahli, 27, had become Wolfert's live-in boyfriend.

With spectators from the Wolfert, DeCosmo and Stahli families watching intently, and Wolfert clutching a toy car that her son loved, the courtroom screen filled with photos of the dead DeCosmo on the autopsy table.

Michelle Lantgen, Wolfert's mother and a grandmother of the toddler, said after the session that it was hard to take the testimony of the day.

"I was trying to be detached," she told reporters.

All day, the lawyers and judge had wrestled with a question of admissibility of key evidence.

Judge Williams sent the jury away so he could admonish Ulster District Attorney Holley Carnright about whether photos were properly qualified as evidence upon which an expert witness could form and give an opinion.

"These photos could have been taken by anybody, anywhere, any time," Williams said. "There has to be some kind of foundation," he told Carnright.

Proceedings were adjourned briefly to enable Carnright and defense attorneys to consider their options.

The jury was sent out for lunch while the judge and the lawyers debated.

The result was a call to Chute to come over to the Ulster courthouse and testify to the reports that came out of his autopsy.

Williams also chastised Kossover, saying that he had plenty of time to detail his objections to the evidence and support his objections.

Williams overruled some of them, citing a standard that says usual business records are admissible.

But other issues remained, including some relating to what might be deemed hearsay evidence. The attorneys prepared a redacted version to omit comments from investigators who were not going to be testifying, and thus not able to be cross-examined on the witness stand.

Carnright had called Hammers to give her opinion on the evidence, which includes autopsy results from Chute, along with related photos.

Chute testified only to the general work he did on the DeCosmo autopsy and the documents produced in connection with it.

He did not offer, and was not asked to offer, his findings or describe DeCosmo's condition or his opinions.

Chute's testimony was to lay a foundation for the documents in evidence upon which Hammers then commented.

The judge warned the audience that "The next testimony will be difficult, for all," and "grim," before Hammers came on.

Though the defense case has not started, Williams allowed Kossover to play a video for his side during the wait needed to clear up the procedural matters and get Chute on the stand.

The video was of police investigators grilling Stahli about DeCosmo and his injuries. Stahli maintained he did not cause them.

He said he didn't take the child to the hospital because he lacked a vehicle, or gas. He said he would have taken the child "if I would have known the baby's head was swollen."

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/s...sday/26922601/
    Last edited by luvit; 05-06-2015 at 10:38 PM.

There are fb sites up supporting the arrest of this poor little boys mother.
    I am on my mobile so I'm not sure if the links will work. This is extremely serious and so sad but gawd I love me some fb dramarama.

https://m.facebook.com/arrestkw?ref=content_filter

https://m.facebook.com/ArrestKatlinWolfert

Robin Feola - ‎Call for Holley Carnright to Arrest Katlin Wolfert
    November 11, 2014 at 10:51am ? Spackenkill, NY, United States ?
    I just found out that Kaitlin WOLFERT is till in contact with the monsters family who killed my nephew???? How ??? Someone tell me how this pos goes around talking shit about my family and has the nerve to still
    Be in contact with these people !!??? POS I hope you and your bf rot in hell !!!
    4 people like this.

Walter J Shuster III
    I cannot wait. I wish I was able to see the look on her face when she gets what is coming to her!
    Like ? 2 ? Reply ? More ? Nov 12, 2014

Niki McGuire
    Robin, isn't it amazing that she shows more compassion toward the family of the man who murdered her son than the father of her child? I wonder if she will still show the same compassion for him when he points his finger at her in court and says he wanted her to take Mason for medical care but she refused as is being alleged?!

Tracy Vona-Shaw
    I expect nothing good to ever be done by Katlin. If you told me that she writes to Charles Manson, I would absolutely believe it. She thrives on evil doings..

Robin Feola
    I hope to see you both on the 18 so I can give Ya's big hugs xoxox
    Like ? 1 ? Reply ? More ? Nov 12, 2014
    Rip Mason DeCosmo & Adrian Langlais

Those details broke my heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    The baby killed her and is now hitchhiking to Mexico.

Case solved!

Kenneth Stahli Sentenced to 25 Years to Life in Prison for Child's Death

There were powerful victim impact statements in court on Thursday as family members and the prosecution asked the judge for the most severe sentence possible for Kenneth Stahli. He was convicted last month for killing two-year-old Mason DeCosmo.

Ulster County District Attorney Holley Carnright read a letter from DeCosmo's dad.

?'My family is suffering every day. We?re all heartbroken. The little ones who don?t understand still ask, why is MeMe in the clouds? They want to know when they can go visit him.'?

Kenneth Stahli did not give a statement in court. His attorneys cited personality disorders.

Ulster County Assistant Public Defender MariAnn Connolly read a letter he wrote.

"'Every day I re-hear the words Mason was found un-responsive and could not bring him back. Every day I think of how these things could have been different if he received medical care like I wanted him to.'"

In the end, the judge issued the maximum sentence of 25 years to life.

?If the death penalty were on the books today Mr. Stahli, I wouldn?t hesitate to impose it for your acts,? said Ulster County Court Judge Donald Williams.

?Anything less than the maximum would have been an additional insult to the family,? said Carnright.

The defense maintained that the decision was too harsh and that Mason could have survived, had his mother taken him to the hospital.

?There were other people that were responsible for the death of Mason, shared some responsibility and we were hoping that Judge Williams would exercise his discretion being that Mr. Stahli was not solely responsible,? said Ulster County Public Defender Andy Kossover.

Juror Glenn Spreitzer said he believes the sentencing was appropriate and he's glad no one else can be harmed by Stahli.

?I was saying on Mason Louis DeCosmo, if he?s up there in heaven looking down on us, I would just want him to know in a roundabout way he saved his brother?s life by what had happened, because now his brother won?t have to go through this. Kenny?s out of both of their lives.?

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/hudson-va...entencing.html

Excellent. Rot there.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Excellent. Let's kill ALL the Toddlers.

WTF is happening these days. Every other day there's a toddler dead.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by BoBabe 73 View Post
    Excellent. Let's kill ALL the Toddlers.

WTF is happening these days. Every other day there's a toddler dead.
    It really does seem like that. It's totally depressing.

Thread Information