Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Students At Pennsylvania's McGuffey High School Organize 'Anti-Gay Day' And Allegedly Target LGBT Classmates

Students At Pennsylvania's McGuffey High School Organize 'Anti-Gay Day' And Allegedly Target LGBT Classmates

A Pennsylvania high school has come under media scrutiny after a group of students organized an "Anti-Gay Day" in response to the nationally-observed Day of Silence.

The Day of Silence, which has been officially organized by GLSEN (or the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network) since 2001, encourages students and young adults to take a vow of silence in an effort to prompt officials to address the problem of anti-lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) bullying and harassment in their schools.

Although the Day of Silence was observed April 17 nationally, McGuffey High School in Claysville scheduled their related activities for Wednesday, April 15 because of a planned field trip, BuzzFeed is reporting. This prompted the group of students to ask classmates to wear flannel shirts and write "anti-gay" on their hands on Thursday, April 16, in protest, according to WPXI-TV.

In addition, participants posted Bible verses on the lockers of students who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT), the news station noted. Meanwhile, some encounters between students who participated and those who didn't even got physical, The Advocate pointed out, and snapshots of the flannel-clad group appeared on social media.

"We came into school on Thursday and found a lot of people wearing flannel and we couldn?t figure out why,? Zoe Johnson, a 16-year-old McGuffey High School who identifies as bisexual, told BuzzFeed's David Mack. "People started getting pushed and notes were left on people?s lockers. ...I got called a dyke, a faggot. They were calling us every horrible name you can think of."

More troubling still was an alleged "lynch list," which the group was reported to have circulated around the school, according to WPXI-TV.

Sue Kerr, who is the editor-in-chief of Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents, slammed the event in a lengthy blog post.

"These kids didn?t just spontaneously pull a homophobic move. They have a plan," she wrote. "They have coordinated outfits. They live and attend school in a county with no discrimination protections based on sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression."

School officials have been mostly tight-lipped about the incident, but McGuffey High School Superintendent Erica Kolat released a statement to local station WPXI, noting that "allegations of harassment were brought to the attention of our administration."

"We resolve to ensure that all children can grow and learn in a safe, supportive environment free from discrimination," she noted.

Last week, the American Family Association's Tim Wildmon, who has been outspoken in his opposition to LGBT causes, was also critical of the Day of Silence, calling it a "hijacking of the classroom for political purposes."
    Fucking disgusting. I hope the parents of these assholes are proud

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Fucking disgusting. I hope the parents of these assholes are proud
    I'm sure they are, where do you think these kids learned it? These are the same people who openly donate to homophobic establishments just to brag about how phobic they are.

"People started getting pushed and notes were left on people?s lockers. ...I got called a dyke, a faggot. They were calling us every horrible name you can think of."
    How is this ok? The school should of stopped it as soon as it became apparent that people were being bullied
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    The baby killed her and is now hitchhiking to Mexico.

Case solved!

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    I'm sure they are, where do you think these kids learned it? These are the same people who openly donate to homophobic establishments just to brag about how phobic they are.
    Yep. It just doesn't compute in my mind how these people think anything like this is perfectly ok

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I'm having a hard time understanding why the school hasn't reprimanded these kids. When you have a "lynch list", it surpasses freedom of speech and becomes a physical threat.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding why the school hasn't reprimanded these kids. When you have a "lynch list", it surpasses freedom of speech and becomes a physical threat.
    Because Pennsylvania is a redneck hellhole and the current stronghold of the KKK. Pennsylvania and Missouri are the two shittiest states in the union.

Article with more info:

A band of Pennsylvania high schoolers in matching flannel shirts slapped hateful poster on gay students? lockers and drafted a ?lynch list? to mark their self-concocted ?Anti-Gay Day,? students said.

As many as 100 students at Claysville?s McGuffey High School took part in the Thursday protest a day after the school?s Gay-Straight Alliance held its Day of Silence. GSA?s day was organized to draw attention to and condemn bulling against gay students, according to the Observer-Reporter.

The homophobic students, mostly boys, wore flannel shirts on the same day and wrote ?anti-gay? and drew crosses on the backs of their hands. The group stuck intimidating posters on gay students? lockers and scuffled with Gay-Straight Alliance members and their supporters, student Zoe Johnson told WPXI.

?Yesterday, there was pushing, posters hung on homosexual students? lockers. Teachers were having to run out and take them down,? she said.

Other students said the group had a ?lynch list,? although they did not say what exactly the list meant. McGuffey Superintendent Erica Kolat said officials have not seen the rumored list, but that the school district was investigating the allegations.

The flannel-clad group wore red Friday to distinguish themselves again, students said. The band planned to continue its matching attire this week.

While the Gay-Straight Alliance and other students have tried to counter Anti-Gay Day with more protests ? on Monday students held signs that said ?Stick with Love? and ?It Gets Better? before the morning bell rang ? the tension between the two factions is still obvious, students said.
    The high schoolers wrote "anti-gay" on their hands and hung posters on LGBT students? lockers to mark "Anti-Gay Day," students said.

?This is why so many students hate going to school,? Johnson said.

?Our investigation is ongoing, and we encourage anyone with information to contact McGuffey School District administration immediately,? the school district said in a statement to WPXI. ?McGuffey School District is committed to providing a safe, supportive environment for all children.?

I teach in a small Oklahoma rural school with a fairly large number of gay teens. We have more than our share of "rednecks", but we've had only 1 issue with a gay student being bullied. Other students, gay and straight, were quick to report the incident to teachers and administration, and immediate action was taken against the bully with ongoing, heightened monitoring of the situation to prevent reoccurrence.

It's ridiculous that this group of bullies at McGuffey hasn't been dealt with effectively. Hell, it sounds like they're pretty easily identifiable! I'm at least glad to see that teachers were active in removing offensive posters on lockers, but administrators should be suspending those little hate-mongers involved in putting them up in the first place. I'd be willing to bet there is video evidence of those who participated.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I'm also willing to bet that at least half of those plaid wearing asshats are gay. Self hate is a strong motivator.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Dear Homophobic Pennsylvania High School Douchetwats,

In case you're wondering, no one gives a shit that you have chosen to wear typical country boy wear in support of an "Anti Gay Day" to target homosexuals at your high school. It is this kind of assbackward thinking that causes fear and resentment between people who should grow into productive and respected adults. Looking back ten years from now you might see yourself and be like "holy shit, I was such a dickbag then!" And you know what? You'd be right- you're a first class dickbag right now. You and everyone who thinks the way you do.
    I guess your Bible beating parents never taught you that "Love thy neighbor" is a rather important Commandment. It doesn't matter that they're black, or poor, or gay.

Your aggregate lack of compassion and understanding is a huge indicator of your lack of intelligence and humility, and a disgusting display of intolerance to those who might see attraction differently than you.

Not everyone is attracted to members of the opposite sex, and denying anyone that right or humiliating anyone for that fact makes you an asshole to your core. This holds true for your parents and families as well if they are indeed the people who instilled this hate in you.

I truly hope that one day, when you're all grown up, you can look back and see how stupid you look and sincerely ask for forgiveness for your hateful, spiteful display of assholery.

Oh, and fuck every one of you for being complete assholes.

Sincerely,

kevansvault
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

I think it's too simple to just say 'oh, they're secret gay' which is kind of insulting to gay guys. Hate is a weird, weird thing. How many people hate black people, or women? Not because they're secretly black or women, not even because they are threatened and scared, but because hate gives someone something to blame, hate unites people and gives them something universal to believe in. That's what's so fucked up about hatred and intolerance.

why are there no links to these articles?

sorry, it's just that i like to read comments on articles, not just the articles themselves. jumanki, you are the worst link omission offender .
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I'm also willing to bet that at least half of those plaid wearing asshats are gay. Self hate is a strong motivator.
    This. & even if they're not, these boys all look so fresh & sweet & boy-hug-boy in their cute co-ordinated outfits - why not rebrand their pix for them?

I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I actually read a very, very good article the other day, written by a gay man, about how much the gay community finds that 'he must be gay if he hates gays' logic to be very insulting and totally a poor attempt to undermine the power of homophobia and what it actually means, what it is like to have people feel a visceral hate and intolerance towards you because they don't understand you and you aren't what they are used to. I found it to be very compelling. It's easy to say oh he hates you cos he's GAYYYYY and not think about what actually goes into hate of that degree, the group think and etc.

Nazis don't hate Jews because they want to be Jewish. Racists don't hate black people because they wish they were black. That's a very pat and nonconstructive means of addressing hatred, sorry.

I'm not intending to use it as a sweeping generalization, but I do think, when boys are young and confused by their sexuality, they might easily seek sanctuary in a hate group such as this. I stand by that.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Yep. It just doesn't compute in my mind how these people think anything like this is perfectly ok
    Really?

Ron was the best part, hands down.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    ^Yep.

There is a lot of hatred for the gay community, and I am glad I don't understand that mentality. How does someone's sexuality affect my life in any way? It does not. It's none of my business, and it's none of anyone else's business either. I'm sure I've mentioned that my grandma is gay, so I'm always quick to jump on the "support gay rights" bandwagon. I love my grandma to pieces...her sexuality does not make who her she is as a person, just as mine does not. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to understand. Whether they like girls or boys, THEY ARE PEOPLE, AND IT'S NONE OF ANYONE'S BUSINESS WHAT THEY PREFER IN THE BEDROOM AND IN A LIFE PARTNER.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

great now i have the image of two 80 year old women scissoring.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    And now I do, too.

SHADDUP, ANI!

just think of all those broken hips!

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post

Holy shit, this made me choke on my pop

Holy shit, this made me choke on my pop
    Unless you're blowing your dad, I'm confused.

A DILF thing? Blowing someone else's dad?

So does wearing flannels make you anti-gay now? What the shit I wear flannels all the time and I don't care about what anybody does.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    So does wearing flannels make you anti-gay now? What the shit I wear flannels all the time and I don't care about what anybody does.
    wat.

Thread Information