Thread: Thai girl, 2, becomes youngest person to be cryogenically frozen

Thai girl, 2, becomes youngest person to be cryogenically frozen

A 2-year-old girl from Thailand who died of cancer has become the youngest person in the world to be cryogenically frozen.

Matheryn Noavaratpong's heartbroken parents decided on the drastic course of action in the hope that medical advances will one day be able to cure her type of brain cancer and she can be revived, reports the Mirror.

The young girl was initially diagnosed with an 11-centimeter tumor in her brain and despite extensive surgery, succumbed to her disease in January.

The family decided to switch off her life-support system, but before they did, they took the decision to try and help her eventually come back to life.

They contacted the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in the U.S., who carried out a cryoprotective procedure on her body before shipping Matheryn's body to Arizona.

The youngster's brain has been extracted and preserved in a stainless steel vacuum container, filled with liquid nitrogen.

Her body is being held in cryofreeze until a cure can be found.

oh man, that makes me so sad. I know most likely the parents are grasping at straws but I get it. Chances are they will be able to recreate a child from DNA long before they can save one who is cryogenicly frozen but either way I am not sure she would be the "same" so to speak. Rest well beautiful baby girl!

Mommy to: Misty-Allison-Elliot-Sebastian-Quinn
    And our newest rugrat MISS MARLEE!!!

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Sooooo....can someone help me understand this? The brain is in some thermos somewhere? So they are thinking they'll cure the brain and plunk it right back in the body of this little girl? Sorry...but as heartbroken as I would be.....you can keep the Pet Sematary shit right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

omg that little girl could not be cuter.

Yup. Brain in a jar. Body elsewhere.

This is sad all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

wait. can you reattach a brain? wouldn't it have been better to keep the brain and body frozen together?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    wait. can you reattach a brain? wouldn't it have been better to keep the brain and body frozen together?
    Well, a surgeon is going to try a head transplant soon, so maybe they are relying on advances in something similar to put her all back together.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...rrifying-death

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    Sooooo....can someone help me understand this? The brain is in some thermos somewhere? So they are thinking they'll cure the brain and plunk it right back in the body of this little girl? Sorry...but as heartbroken as I would be.....you can keep the Pet Sematary shit right there.
    desperation. it is an unbearable grief that comes with any loss but to watch your adorable toddler fade away while a tumor grows in size it must be devastating. I understand desperation, if it helps them sleep at night what difference does it make, in a wooden box or in a freezer the real part of her, her soul has moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinatedkat View Post
    desperation. it is an unbearable grief that comes with any loss but to watch your adorable toddler fade away while a tumor grows in size it must be devastating. I understand desperation, if it helps them sleep at night what difference does it make, in a wooden box or in a freezer the real part of her, her soul has moved on.
    Only if you believe in there being a soul

I do <3

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Maybe they can help Jahi! After all...she can still bend and shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

And Bobbi Kristina, don't forget!

I was kind of curious as to who else is been frozen I came across this horrible story...

Dora Kent is a sad tale (maybe). Her son, Saul, was a board member of the Alcor Life Extension Foundation (most of these cryogenically-frozen people were frozen by Alcor and are stored in their facilities). In 1987 at the age of 84, she came down with a fatal case of pneumonia and was unable to recover. When it looked like death was upon her, she was brought to the Alcor facilities so they could freeze her when she died. And they did, with no doctor present. When a coroner later inspected her headless body (Alcor removed the head for scientific purposes, I guess), he first agreed with the pneumonia assessment, and then reversed his decision and said he thought she was murdered. Certain metabolites found in her body led him to believe that she was alive when they started to freeze her. He demanded Dora's head for further testing, and Alcor refused to produce it. Some of the Alcor members were arrested, but nothing came of it and no one was ever charged with anything.

The monkeys and dogs only lived a couple days after the head reattachment surgery. But they had success with mice, so let's try it on humans!

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I do <3
    Im not saying that I don't, just that not everyone believes there are

This is both sad and incredibly creepy. Something about cloning people and freezing people to hopefully bring them back later... that bullshit scares me. I'm truly heartbroken for these parents, and she was literally one of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen, but I don't know, man. I think we're getting too close to knowing how to do way too much crazy shit, and it's likely to backfire someday.

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    This is both sad and incredibly creepy. Something about cloning people and freezing people to hopefully bring them back later... that bullshit scares me. I'm truly heartbroken for these parents, and she was literally one of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen, but I don't know, man. I think we're getting too close to knowing how to do way too much crazy shit, and it's likely to backfire someday.
    We're not really anywhere close to being able to do either of those things on humans. I wouldn't worry too much.They are just now making serious attempts at trying to clone a wooly mammoth. Every great leap in science and technology has it's own set of risks and pitfalls.

Uhh hello, haven't you guys seen this gem???

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    The monkeys and dogs only lived a couple days after the head reattachment surgery. But they had success with mice, so let's try it on humans!

The glowing jellyfish DNA was extremely successful in mice. I really think they should be using that on people first.

you can sign me up to become part jellyfish. that's cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    The glowing jellyfish DNA was extremely successful in mice. I really think they should be using that on people first.

Organ wise, pigs are pretty close to humans, and they've had jellyfish DNA spliced into them by scientists with positive results.

Maybe it would work if you never took a breath in the first place. Think about babies who have serious medical issues in utero that are not something they can fix. Many mothers have children who live only hours. What if they took the baby out, full term, left it in the placenta and froze it until medical science could evolve?

Maybe it would work if you never took a breath in the first place. Think about babies who have serious medical issues in utero that are not something they can fix. Many mothers have children who live only hours. What if they took the baby out, full term, left it in the placenta and froze it until medical science could evolve?
    Not sure that's how people work. I don't think we are anywhere near being able to place people into suspended animation

Thread Information