Thread: Samantha Fleming (23) Went Missing with her Newborn Daughter. Samantha Found Stabbed to Death

Samantha Fleming (23) Went Missing with her Newborn Daughter. Samantha Found Stabbed to Death

A 23-year-old mother who went missing with her newborn daughter in early April has been found stabbed to death in a home in Gary,
    Indiana, police said.

The body of Samantha Fleming, of Anderson, Indiana, wrapped in plastic, stuffed in a storage bin and soaked in bleach at about 3 p.m. Friday,
    according to Lieutenant Thomas Pawlak of the Gary Police Department. The body was found in a home in the 1900 block of Cleveland Street.

Pawlak confirmed multiple stab wounds as the cause of death.
    Fleming left her home in Anderson on April 6 with an African-American woman claiming to be with the
    Indiana Department of Child Services who told Fleming she had a hearing in Lake Superior Court, police said. Fleming's
    boyfriend reported her missing soon after.

Anderson Police investigators found no record of an employee with the Department of Child Services at Fleming's residence on April 6.
    Fleming's cellphone records led police to Gary to investigate the young mother's whereabouts. A groundskeeper at an apartment complex in Gary also found Fleming's wallet the day she went missing.

The woman who lived in the house has been identified as "person of interest," but she is currently hospitalized in a mental health facility in Texas for treatment of depression, police said. She has not been charged.
    The suspect's family members said she had previously claimed to be pregnant with twins, but they became suspicious after inconsistencies in her alleged due date. In recent weeks, the woman told family members she delivered one child and lost the other one in birth, police said.
    She then requested that no one visit her at the hospital.

Fleming's three-week-old daughter, Serenity, was found safe in the care of the alleged supsect's sister, who was in the home.
    When police arrived at the home, they found a woman holding an infant girl. The woman could not identify the baby and said she belonged to her sister,
    who left for Texas a week before, police said.

The sister also said she had only been in the house 30 minutes before police arrived and complained of a foul odor coming from within the home.
    Police then discovered the body of a young woman in the home who was later identified as Fleming. The infant appeared unharmed and has been returned to family in Indianapolis.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/nati...300534091.html

Christ, that is horrific. I am curious as to why Samantha would follow someone who tells her she has a court date and must go to it now out of the blue. Weird

Another one. I found a dodgy little site that was listing all the U.S maternity/baby theft murders when I was reading up on Darlie Routier (no idea why it kept coming up with Darlie searches because her case had nothing to do with that kind of scenario) but now I can't find it again. There were a lot more than I realised. They seem to start occurring with frequency in the late 80s/early 90s. I had a book on once of the first, Darcy/Darcie someone? (Hmm, that's kind of similar to Darlie. Maybe that's why I kept getting hits)

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Another one. I found a dodgy little site that was listing all the U.S maternity/baby theft murders when I was reading up on Darlie Routier (no idea why it kept coming up with Darlie searches because her case had nothing to do with that kind of scenario) but now I can't find it again. There were a lot more than I realised. They seem to start occurring with frequency in the late 80s/early 90s. I had a book on once of the first, Darcy/Darcie someone? (Hmm, that's kind of similar to Darlie. Maybe that's why I kept getting hits)
    Ugh, thats depressing to think about. There are enough orphan kids to go around if your so desperate for a child, don't orphan another one because your fucking insane

Exactly. These are bizarre people though. The lengths they go to in order to fool everyone around them are really extreme. That little girl has to grow up knowing what happened to her mum now. Fucking awful.

This isn't the site I was talking about, but it lists 10 cases

http://listverse.com/2008/09/20/10-c...ion-in-the-us/

ETA
    This little article blames the cases on the increased security measures on maternity wards. Maybe? we don't have the security in Aus & I don't think we've ever had a foetal abduction - but ... I don't think we ever really had a maternity ward abduction problem either, so it doesn't explain why it was such a big issue in the U.S that it required those security measures to begin with.

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/national/...es-rise/nkbR7/

A study in the Journal of Forensic Science discovered eight reported cases of fetal abduction, also known as Cesarean kidnapping, between 1987 and 2002. The Washington Post cites more recent cases that have occurred in Missouri, Seattle and Maryland between 2004 and 2009. Psychologist Theresa Porter, who has researched the topic extensively, counted 21 examples of fetal abduction worldwide since 1987.

According to the Washington Post, fetal abductions have roots in the hospital baby snatching trend that took place in the 1990s. Now that hospitals have increased security measures, some desperate women have moved to a more direct and gruesome approach.
    The “womb raiders” as those who commit fetal abduction are sometimes called, are not insane, according to Porter. These women seek the attention that society gives pregnant women and new mothers, and are willing to kill to fill that emotional need.

I'll never understand how anyone can do something so gruesome & inflict so much fear & pain but simultaneously believe they deserve to care for a baby.
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-19-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Exactly. These are bizarre people though. The lengths they go to in order to fool everyone around them are really extreme. That little girl has to grow up knowing what happened to her mum now. Fucking awful.

This isn't the site I was talking about, but it lists 10 cases

http://listverse.com/2008/09/20/10-c...ion-in-the-us/
    People are awful. I gave up on them a long time ago.

BTW, I've been addicted to Listverse for like 2 years now lol I love that site

I swear to God I'm a take my baby and all my kids and lock yourselves in a safe room

Mommy to: Misty-Allison-Elliot-Sebastian-Quinn
    And our newest rugrat MISS MARLEE!!!

Just updating some stuff we missed

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...421-story.html

On his way to Griffith to see Samantha Fleming's sister, Anderson police Detective Scott Sanderson finally obtained an address for the woman last seen with Fleming and her newborn daughter, missing since April 6.

So instead of the interview, Sanderson went to the 1900 block of Cleveland Street on Friday afternoon and met Geraldine Jones' sister, who was holding a baby girl.

"She seemed pretty nervous and confused, and I finally just asked her what her baby's name was and she said she didn't know." Sanderson testified in Madison County Court on Saturday.

His testimony is contained in a 16-page affidavit that led to charges of murder, kidnapping and confinement against Jones, 36, and includes more detailed information about the ploy Jones allegedly used to lure the 23-year-old Anderson mother and her baby to Gary.

While at the home, police noticed a distinctive smell that prompted a search and the discovery of Fleming's decomposed body in a large plastic tote. She had been stabbed at least 10 times, Sanderson testified.

Jones is in police custody in Benton, Texas, where Anderson police and Gary Detective Alex Jones will attempt to interview her, police said. She was hospitalized there after apparently attempting to overdose on over-the-counter sleeping pills, police said.

Fleming's boyfriend wrote down the registration on the woman's car and Sanderson noted other witnesses saw Fleming leave with Jones.

"The suspect actually told her in front of the boyfriend, it would look better if you took the baby with you when we went to court," Sanderson told the judge.

Newman questioned Sanderson about the baby's race. The detective said the baby, Serenity, is mixed and explained that Fleming was white with olive skin and the baby also has olive skin. The father is black, he said.

Sanderson said his department had performed some routine tasks early in the investigation, including "pinging" Fleming's phone, which signaled it was in Gary. Relatives told police in Anderson they received texts, but no calls, from Fleming after she left but they were suspicious about who was sending them.

"The entire family believes it's not her because of the content of the text and that she doesn't spell well and that everything's like perfect spelling," Sanderson stated.

Gary police Cpl. Kwata Osborne recovered Fleming's wallet at Woodlake Village apartments where Jones' sister lives.

At that point, 10 days after Fleming disappeared, Sanderson came to Gary. On his way, his department learned that the calls to Fleming, supposedly from a DCS case manager, were from Jones. He had her name and address.

Prosecutors in Anderson and Crown Point conferred and agreed the charges should be filed in Madison County because the initial crime occurred there, Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter said Monday.

Investigators believe Fleming was killed in Gary, however.

http://www.wthr.com/article/update-p...mothers-murder

UPDATE: PC reveals new details in Anderson mother's murder
    Geraldine Jones

JEREMY BRILLIANT

PUBLISHED: 04/20/15 04:00 PM EDT.UPDATED: 04/14/16 07:59 PM EDT.
    MADISON COUNTY
    Madison County prosecutors are charging a woman with murder, confinement and kidnapping in connection with the death of Samantha Fleming and the kidnapping of her infant daughter. Prosecutors charged Geraldine Jones, 36, in the case.

Jones is currently in Texas being treated for mental health issues. Anderson Police expect Jones to be brought to Indiana by the end of the month.

"It's an absolutely bizarre case. And I think it's a tragedy in every sense of the word," said Anderson Police Sargent Chad Boynton.

Fleming was found stabbed to death in a Gary apartment a week after she went missing with her daughter. Police say all evidence points to Jones intending to raise Samantha Fleming's daughter, Serenity, as her own child.

The probable causes reveals new details in the case, including Jones creating a fully furnished nursery in her home and having a baby shower after telling family and friends she was pregnant with twins.

According to the probable cause, the incident began April 4 when Fleming's mother received a blocked call supposedly from the Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS). The caller asked her for Fleming's phone number and address.

Police later tracked that call to Jones' phone.

Jones showed up at Fleming's door two days later, posing as a DCS employee dressed in professional attire and lured Fleming to Gary on the pretense that she needed to attend a court hearing.

According to the probable cause, Geraldine told Fleming "it was a surprise inspection," and convinced Fleming to bring the baby by saying it would "look better" if she took the baby with her in court.

"It's particularly concerning that the suspect in this case used the guise of a state department that's dedicated to the health and welfare and safe being of children to lure Samantha and Serenity away from her home," said Boynton.

"Based on information we've received, this is not an employee or former employee of the agency," said James Wide, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Child Services.

Wide said case workers would never come to a residence without prior coordination. He said if a parent is in doubt, ask for identification.

"All of our workers carry a state-issued identification - says State of Indiana, says DCS, has their picture on it and if that is not seen, definitely call the police," said Wide.

One of Jones' neighbors said Jones claimed to be pregnant with twins, and said she was due last month. Jones claimed to have lost one of the twins.

During the 10 days that Fleming was missing, her family kept receiving text messages but they knew, based on the writing style, that it couldn't be Samantha.

Anderson Police said when their search for Fleming led them to a Gary house where they ultimately found Fleming's body, a woman answered the door holding a baby and told investigators the baby belonged to her sister who had gone to Texas the week before. That baby was little Serenity, Fleming's daughter.

The probable cause indicates police smelled something strange when they went into the house. They found a large tub inside a closet and inside that tub, they found Fleming's body inside a garbage bag that had been tied shut and duct-taped.

The document indicates Fleming had at least 10 stab wounds to her back, front, arms and hands.

Witnesses recalled to police a description of the suspect's car, and it matched Geraldine's. They said it had a nurse's license plate.

Police issued an arrest warrant for Jones Saturday, but she's still in a Texas hospital. Her family says she has attempted suicide since being there.

Gary and Anderson are on their way to Texas to bring Jones back to Indiana, which could happen any day.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/l...1aa4e6843.html

A Gary woman accused of kidnapping and killing and Anderson woman and claiming the victim's infant daughter as her own asked a judge last week to dismiss her case, The Herald Bulletin reported.

An attorney for Geraldine Jones, 36, filed a motion to dismiss murder and kidnapping charges on grounds of lack of venue and jurisdiction, the newspaper in Anderson reported.

Police have said Jones lured former region resident Samantha Fleming, 23, to leave her Anderson home with her daughter Serenity by posing as an Indiana Department of Child Services worker. Jones never worked for the agency, officials said.

Police found Fleming's body April 18 in Jones' home in the 1900 block of Cleveland Street in Gary. Serenity was unharmed and reunited with family members in Indianapolis, police said.

Madison County Prosecutor Rodney Cummings told The Herald Bulletin that Jones will face trial whether it is in Madison County or in Lake County.

I can't find any reporting on the trial or her conviction but I assume it happened because there's a PDF file of her appeal dated 30 March 2017

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...KjwI2HoEY9EEbQ

Thread Information