Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Walter Scott, 50, Was Shot Dead By Officer Michael Slager Who Has Been Charged With His Murder

Walter Scott, 50, Was Shot Dead By Officer Michael Slager Who Has Been Charged With His Murder

This case definitely has enough posts for it's own thread & there are going to be more than a few updates. I'm not really sure of the best way to do this so I'm linking it first mds mention here -

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...Bad-Cop/page30

& I guess we just add updates here?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...P=share_btn_tw

The police officer who killed Walter Scott in South Carolina said afterwards that he was experiencing a rush of adrenaline, during a conversation that offers a new insight into his mindset in the minutes following the shooting.

Patrolman Michael Slager appeared to laugh nervously in the discussion with a senior officer after fatally shooting Scott in North Charleston on 5 April. A recording of their conversation was obtained by the Guardian.

?By the time you get home, it would probably be a good idea to kind of jot down your thoughts on what happened,? the senior officer said. ?You know, once the adrenaline quits pumping.?

?It?s pumping,? Slager said, laughing. The senior officer replied: ?Oh yeah. Oh yeah.?

The senior officer told Slager during the conversation to go home and relax, assuring him that he would not have to answer questions about the shooting for days.

Slager was charged with murder on Tuesday after authorities were given cellphone video showing the officer shot Scott eight times in the back as the 50-year-old ran away. The footage contradicted earlier claims by police that Scott had fled with Slager?s stun gun.

Asked whether the officer making the remarks in the recording was Slager, Thom Berry, a spokesman for the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), which is investigating the shooting, said: ?It appears that way. I have not been able to independently confirm it.?

A spokesman for North Charleston police did not respond to a request for comment.

Footage of Scott being stopped in his car minutes before the shooting by Slager over a broken brake light, which was recorded by the dashcam in Slager?s patrol car, was released to the media on Thursday.

That camera continued to record for another hour and captured the conversation between Slager and a senior officer. A cellphone call that Slager, 33, received about five minutes before his conversation with the senior officer was also partly recorded.

?Hey. Hey, everything?s OK, OK?? Slager said, after an iPhone ringtone was heard. Following an inaudible section, Slager then appeared to say: ?He grabbed my taser, yeah. Yeah, he was running from me.?

Mourning Walter Scott: 'Rather than duck, the mayor stood up', Sharpton says
    Read more
    Slager?s wife, Jamie, is eight months pregnant with their first child. Jamie Slager, 35, has two children from a previous marriage. The couple live together in the city of Hanahan, about six miles from North Charleston.

In the recording from the dashcam in Slager?s radio car, the officer can be heard asking: ?What happens next?? The senior officer, whose identity is not clear from the recording, told him that he would be collected by other officers and taken to police headquarters.

?Probably once they get you there, we?ll take you home. Take your crap off, take your vest off, kind of relax for two or three.?

?It?ll be real quick,? he said. ?They?re gonna tell you you?re gonna be out for a couple of days and you?ll come back and they?ll interview you then. They?re not going to ask you any kind of questions right now. They?ll take your weapon and we?ll go from there. That?s pretty much it.?

The senior officer again reassured Slager that he would not have to explain the shooting on the record immediately. ?The last one we had, they waited a couple of days to interview officially, like, sit down and tell what happened,? he said.

I have never shot a gun and I have an honest question. Did he have to pull the trigger eight times are you just hold the trigger down and it does it by itself? It might help me understand this whole thing.

Mommy to: Misty-Allison-Elliot-Sebastian-Quinn
    And our newest rugrat MISS MARLEE!!!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinatedkat View Post
    I have never shot a gun and I have an honest question. Did he have to pull the trigger eight times are you just hold the trigger down and it does it by itself? It might help me understand this whole thing.
    He pulled the trigger eight times. It's not an automatic weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

You have to wonder if he was envisioning time off & a massive gofundme account when he was all pumped up & laughing. There was one, but it was taken down after the vid came out. There's a new fundraiser but last time I looked it wasn't getting anything but abuse & a lot of people thought it was juyst some dick trolling.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...t-walter-scott

Officer Michael Slager stared blankly during his bond hearing on Tuesday evening. He appeared from jail via video link, dressed in an inmate’s uniform of black and grey stripes.

Judge Alvin Bligen read Slager his rights in monotone before telling him he was charged with murder and therefore unable to grant bail.

“Are you married?” Bligen asked.

“Yes,” came the reply.

“Children?”

“I have two stepchildren and one on the way,” he said, pursing his lips into a half smile.

Just hours before Slager, had been a free man and a serving officer – albeit one on paid administrative leave.

At around 9.30am on Saturday, Slager had shot dead 50-year-old Walter Scott and claimed that Scott had “tried to overpower him” and “take his Taser”. But video published on Tuesday revealed an entirely different narrative – that Scott, a black man, had in fact been running away at the time he was shot, a good 15ft at least before Slager, who is white, had fired. It appeared Slager may have dropped a Taser next to Scott’s body.

The tide immediately turned against the officer. His attorney dropped the case shortly after seeing the video; his professional association refused to pay any legal costs, accusing him of “tarnishing ... the badge”; the chief of his department said he was “sickened” by what he saw. He was abandoned by the institutions that had earlier protected him.

As the cold-hearted reality of Slager’s actions that Saturday begin to sink in, little is known about the officer’s prior history, and a number of questions still surround his conduct that day.

The 33-year-old was born in November 1981 and attended Lenape high school in the small township of Medford, New Jersey, where he graduated in 2001. A photograph from his high school yearbook shows Slager smiling alongside a line of other grinning faces, but he appears to have made little impact on his former classmates.

“I do not recall Michael from my high school days,” said Kurt Minuto, the class president in Slager’s sophomore year. “I have no recollection of that person at all,” said Frank Iannucci, who was the vice-president.

According to documents obtained by NBC, Slager spent time working as a waiter before joining the US coastguard.

Records show he spent time living on Cocoa Beach, Florida, on a road lined with palm trees a few hundred feet from a resort-filled beach. He appears to have moved to South Carolina in 2008 and, according to the records obtained by NBC, applied to join the North Charleston police in 2009, swearing his oath on 1 March 2010. His former attorney, David Aylor, told the Guardian that Slager was honorably discharged from the coastguard prior to this.

Calls to Slager’s relatives, neighbors, former roommates and friends have all been unreturned or unanswered. An online campaign to provide “support funds” has raised less than $800.

Slager’s wife, Jamie, eight months pregnant with Slager’s first child, has deleted her Facebook page. A photograph on another of her social network pages shows Slager smiling with who appear to be his two young stepchildren at his side. At a press conference on Wednesday, North Charleston mayor Keith Summey said the city would continue to pay her medical insurance until the child is born. Calls to her cellphone went unreturned.

•••

According to the personnel documents obtained by NBC, Slager held a relatively exemplary training record. In March 2010, shortly after joining the force, he is described as demonstrating “great officer safety tactics” in confrontations with suspects. He routinely passed annual training tests, including those related to firearm use. In February 2011 he earned a perfect score in Taser certification test questions, according to NBC.

Since the death of Walter Scott, details on a past complaint have been revealed as the victim of an alleged excessive use of force incident from September 2013 has come forward.

Mario Givens, 33, claims that Slager knocked on his front door at 4am and Tasered him even though he had raised his hands as the officer commanded.

“I didn’t know what was going on; he never said nothing,” Givens told a news conference on Thursday. “He didn’t even announce he was police, he just pounded on the door.”

Givens filed a complaint at the time, but says he never heard back from the police department. He has indicated he will now sue the department.

Protesters argue that the Scott murder is emblematic of broader race-related problems within the North Charleston police department, which employs less than 20% black officers in a city where almost half the residents are African American.

When Summey was asked about this disparity, he fumbled a response indicating there was not enough of a pool to recruit, much to the ire of assembled protesters who could be heard heckling him.

Since Scott’s death it has also emerged that the second officer on the scene, Clarence Habersham – an African American – is the subject of a separate lawsuit in which the complainant states he was stomped in the face while handcuffed by a group of officers.

Givens claimed that Habersham was also present at the 2013 Tasering incident.

•••

It remains unclear if Slager ever provided a statement to the North Charleston police department, or outside investigators, commissioned to examine the Scott shooting. On Thursday, authorities released dashcam footage showing Slager and Scott interacting before Scott fled. And eyewitness Feidin Santana said he saw the two on the ground before he filmed, noting that Slager “had control of the situation” and Scott was simply trying to escape being Tasered.

There remain questions over who the passenger was in Scott’s car when he was pulled over initially by Slager for a traffic violation. And it is also unclear why Scott had fled from the car – although some have speculated it related to a warrant related to unpaid child support.

Slager’s next court appearance is not until 21 August. He has recruited new lawyers, who have yet to make a statement on his behalf

Just to be clear I never defended him before, I just made the comment that these shooting always happen to people who are running/fighting from police which is dumb. Pulling the trigger 8 separate times as a man is running away from you unarmed is pretty clear cut.

Someone asked me "what if it was your kid" and my husband and I talked about and we are in the same page. We would want justice but we would not cry to media that our child was only a victim and was totally innocent. You have to admit the mistakes made and go on to tell other people the story and hope you can stop it from happening again.

DM article so there's far too many pix to post here, see the link for more + vid

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...isolation.html

Officer Michael Slager has received a visit from his mother and pregnant wife in prison for the first time since he was charged with fatally shooting Walter Scott.

Slager, 33, is being kept in isolation and can not walk down a hall in Charleston County Jail without the entire cell block being cleared first, according to his lawyer.

But on Friday, his wife Jamie, who is eight-and-a-half months pregnant, and his mother Karen Sharpe were allowed to speak to him.

On Tuesday, Slager was charged with murder after opening fire on 50-year-old Scott last weekend.

Due date soon: Jamie Slager (right) is eight-and-a-half months pregnant. His mom Karen (left) is 'anxious'

Shock: Karen told CBS she is still in shock as her son is in isolation for fear prisoners will try to kill him

Dash cam footage reveals he stopped the father-of-four U.S. Army veteran over a broken tail light in North Charleston, South Carolina, on Saturday.

When Scott fled - allegedly fearing reprimand for not paying child support - Slager followed, and shot him in the back.?

His attorney Andy Savage told CBS that?Slager is housed in a room with one small window and does not have any interaction with any other detainees at?Charleston County jail.?

He said that when he met Slager on Wednesday for 60 minutes, that it took an hour and 45 minutes to move the North Charleston police officer to the meeting place because they had to clear all of the cell blocks.

A jail staff member told the New York Daily News: 'He wouldn?t last one week in the general population. Everyone inside is talking about it. Of course people want to get at him.

<<snipped>>

CBS reports Slager's mother is expected to visit her son Friday for the first time since the shooting.

She has defended her son in an interview, saying she cannot believe that he would do anything like what he's accused of.

She also revealed that his wife, who is eight months pregnant, is devastated.

Ms Sharpe said that she will never watch the video footage of the fatal shooting.

She also expressed her sympathy for Walter Scott's family, the man her son shot dead.

*I just can't,' Sharpe told ABC News.

'Maybe to some people, 'Well, you're being in denial,' but I'm sorry I just can't. I just - I know how Michael is

She went on to say her son loved being an officer.

'I can't imagine him doing something, it's just not like him,' she said of the shooting.

'That's just not his character. It's not.'*

On Friday it was revealed that no warrant had been issued for Walter Scott's arrest when he ran from Officer Michael Slager moments before he was shot dead, it has been revealed.*

Court records show he was $7,500 behind on child support when he was pulled over on Saturday and had already been jailed three times for missing payments.

His family believe the fear of being thrown back in prison was the reason he tried to flee during the deadly traffic stop.

But there was nothing directing officers to bring him in to face a family court judge, despite the fact his last payment was only in 2012.**

In 2008, after a traffic stop in which he was charged with an open-container violation and driving under suspension, he was sent to jail in Charleston for six months for failing to pay about $6,800.

In 2011, bench warrants ordered deputies to bring him in, and Scott spent a night in jail when he was $7,500 behind. In 2012, he spent another night in jail when he owed $3,500.

On Thursday a police dashboard camera video released Thursday shows Scott bolting from his Mercedes after he pulled over.

The camera on Slager's patrol car captures him telling Scott his third brake light is broken, before asking him to produce insurance papers.

Scott, who appears to be accompanied by a person in the passenger seat, explains he does not have any documents as he has yet to officially buy the car.

'I haven't bought it yet, I'm about to do that Monday.... My car is down,' he says.

The officer appears calm, checks his licence, then tells him: 'I'll be right back with you.'

When Slager returns to his vehicle, Scott flees, running towards the park where he would die moments later.

Off camera, a scuffle can be heard, with shouts of 'Taser, Taser, Taser!' and 'Get on the ground!'*

Slager's account has been called into question after a shocking video taken by a witness shows the officer shooting Scott in the back.

In the dash cam footage, captured from Slager's patrol car, the officer explains, 'The reason I've pulled you over is because your third brakelight is out.'

The conversation is muffled, with music playing in Slager's car obscuring the sound.

He can be heard asking Scott for his licence, registration and insurance card.

Scott responds that he doesn't have papers as he has not yet to bought the car.

'Alright let me see your licence,' Slager replies. 'So you don't have any papers in the glove pocket?'

Scott repeats that he does not and he is paying for the car on Monday.

Slager returns to his car.

A minute later, Scott opens the door, and gestures to Slager, who shouts, 'you've got to stay in the car!'

Scott then sits back inside the car - and moments later flees.

The only other footage of the incident shows the moment Scott was shot. Released earlier this week, it begins in the vacant lot apparently moments after Slager fires his Taser.*

Wires which administer the electrical current appear to be extending from Scott's body.

As Scott turns to run, Slager draws his pistol and, only when he is 15 to 20 feet away, starts to fire the first of the eight shots at his back.

The video shows Slager handcuffing Scott's lifeless body.*
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-12-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Just to be clear I never defended him before, I just made the comment that these shooting always happen to people who are running/fighting from police which is dumb. Pulling the trigger 8 separate times as a man is running away from you unarmed is pretty clear cut.

Someone asked me "what if it was your kid" and my husband and I talked about and we are in the same page. We would want justice but we would not cry to media that our child was only a victim and was totally innocent. You have to admit the mistakes made and go on to tell other people the story and hope you can stop it from happening again.

Except you're wrong. Check out Akai Gurley's case - he's not the only one who literally did nothing to deserve what happened to him.

ETA & Aiyana Stanley-Jones - 7 yrs old & asleep on her grandma's couch, shot during the filming of a Cops? (I think) episode

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...n-house-search

Police raid wrong house, shoot innocent family dog, make kids sit with it's bloody corpse

http://www.naturalnews.com/036698_po...g_victims.html

Police raid wrong house, shoot innocent 61 yr old man, handcuff wife

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95475

2 yr old hospitalised after police raid wrong house & throw smoke grenade into his room despite mother & children telling them there was a toddler in there

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/2-y...enade-bedroom/

Toddler in coma after police raid wrong house & throw flash bang grenade in crib

http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-todd...ry?id=27671521

I can literally fill pages with these
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-12-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Let us not forget Oscar Grant, who wasn't running anywhere given that he was face down on the floor & handcuffed at the time:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_...of_Oscar_Grant

Yes my husband and I were just discussing this case in general. I have no doubt there a bad cops out there .

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks

So you honestly think that if you run from the police that you deserve to be shot? I'm fat, and if the police taser me, I'm running, and I bet you would to. It hurts. A natural reaction to pain is to flee from it.

Why am I wasting my time. How can you have so many kids, and lack empathy? Becoming a adoptive mother, and a aunt made me a lot more compassionate to the suffering of others. I just don't get you.

Yes my husband and I were just discussing this case in general. I have no doubt there a bad cops out there .
    But under your rules, if one of the listed cases had been illegally injured first & then run from the direct threat they were facing, you'd automatically assume they deserved everything they got unless they were lucky enough to have a bystander filming from the outset.

Unfortunately, in the present climate, people are afraid at the first sight of police & until something changes the view of many is going to be "do I just stand here & wait to die, or do I run & give myself a chance". It's not just arrest that people are afraid of, it's death. Innocence is not enough to protect you.

& for sure, not all officers kill, brutalise or abuse people, but out of those that don't, you can count on one hand those that speak out/testify against the ones that do. Doesn't that make the term "good officer" kind of questionable?
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-13-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Is it your goal to come across as perfect or something? Not trying to be rude but I absolutely do not buy that that's the way you would react if your son was shot in the back because he ran away from a cop.
    You really think you would get justice if even you as a parent are putting it out there that "he wasn't innocent and made mistakes"? I'm sure the cop's lawyers would love you.

I just don't get it. You agree that the cop was way out of line, then why does the running even matter? He should've just done what the cop asked? Levar Jones did, he got shot. http://www.salon.com/2014/09/26/watc...ivers_license/
    John Geer also did what he was told to do, he's dead http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/in-fair...ting-1.2960995

The point here is that there are cops out there that are way to trigger happy and seem to have no respect for a human life. They kill people in non life threatening situations and are being excused for it and you sitting there going "yeah but he shouldn't have ran, he wasn't innocent" is just giving another excuse to these murderers and shows you have just as much respect for the victim's life as they do. IMO.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Bears repeating.

God, JLaw has the best faces.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Because he did not just run after being tazed he ran from the car in the first place. There was no way that cop was going to shoot him at the traffic stop he wasn't all being violent or rude he didn't have his hand on his weapon. The second that man took off running and think about all the things that went to the police officers head. Do you think he chased after him thinking broken taillight or child-support know he probably thought he was armed or dangerous or had warrants etc.

I know the police officer was wrong but again I don't see in black-and-white I see in gray and the person running was not 100% innocent. You know that, his family knows that, the news knows that but they just want a headline and well they got a doozy! I have not read all the other stories of people shot by police I'm sure they are probably completely innocent people out there that happens to.

I have loads of empathy I am just over the whole riots and news casts and front page news stories of people who were so wrongly abused at the hands of authority only to see a few days later photos of them holding guns or robbing stores or having huge rap,sheets etc. hard to really spot a victim anymore. I will save my tears and heartache till I know the whole truth.

The mistake here was that there was an abusive cop on the force with a history of assault, in a community where marginal black families are familiar with the way white cops abuse their power. That is why this kid ran. That s why everyone runs. You don't know what it's like to see a cop car and automatically feel like in danger instead of relief. That is your privilege. It cannot be said for many people who grow up in marginalized, poor communities.

Hard to spot a victim? When you see a man on the ground with 5 bullets in his back and no weapon on him, you've spotted a victim.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

Jesus fucking christ Kat.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Jesus fucking christ Kat.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

you know kat is wrong when at the bar yesterday, the 86 year old man who thinks obama should be hanged told me that he feels so bad for 'that colored kid who got shot in the back for no reason by that disgusting pig' and that he should be thrown in jail for the rest of his life for murder.

so, what i'm saying is that even the most hardened racists that a small town can find, don't think this cop had justification for killing this guy. but you do, kat. you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-d...ocial_facebook

Maybe it was Walter Scott?s fault. Maybe he did something to make Officer Michael Slager, of the North Charleston Police Department, in South Carolina, shoot him in the back. Maybe the fearsome Scott attacked Slager, nearly overpowering him and wrestling away his Taser, as Slager reported. Yet in Thursday?s newly released video, showing Scott undergoing a routine traffic stop for a broken taillight, there is nothing of that terrifying creature. Nor is he present in that other video, now imprinted on the national consciousness, showing Scott lumbering away, slower than his fifty years, with the Taser wires still trailing him as Slager all too calmly fires off eight rounds. We squint and look closer: Did the officer really drop his stun gun by the dying man?s body, fabricating a ready-made cover for murder?

Such mythmaking and forced recantation?the story of the dangerous black man who turns out not to have been dangerous?has become commonplace. Tamir Rice was a teen-age thug who reached into his waistband for a pistol, leaving Officer Timothy Loehmann no choice but to kill him. Then we saw the baby-faced twelve-year-old with the toy gun, and it became clear that Loehmann, previously deemed psychologically unfit to carry a weapon as a police officer, had shot the boy with no real warning, moments after arriving on the scene. John Crawford was allegedly threatening shoppers in a Walmart with a rifle and waving it aggressively toward Officer Sean Williams, who also had no choice but to kill him. Only the store video revealed that Crawford was holding an air rifle from the sporting-goods section and chatting on his cell phone when the police swept in. Only the video allowed us to see the man lay down his BB gun and try to crawl away.

We persuade ourselves that these black men must have done something to deserve being shot. Perfect victims, as advocacy lawyers know too well, are hard to find. Walter Scott owed back child support. He had had skirmishes with the law?one arrest, thirty years ago, for assault and battery, and a slew of others for nonviolent offenses, including failure to appear in court and to pay child support. But, if he wasn?t a delinquent father?if he didn?t steal cigarillos, as Michael Brown did, or sell loose cigarettes, as Eric Garner did?then surely he was guilty of something else. Stories that would beggar belief if the victim were a person we recognized?someone white, or at least wearing a tie?are tucked quickly away when the bleeding are not our kind of people. (Never mind that Scott was a veteran of the Coast Guard, like the officer who shot him.)

The law governing encounters like the one between Scott and Slager is so straightforward that it should be surprising that the Supreme Court took until 1985 to rule on it. In Tennessee v. Garner, the Court held that the use of deadly force to catch a fleeing suspect is an unconstitutional ?seizure? unless that suspect poses a significant danger to others. The real question is why, death after death, beating after beating, as the major abuses and the minor humiliations pile up, we are collectively unable to face the fact that race makes too many police officers see threats where none exist, and makes the worst police officers, like Michael Slager, willing to deal death. The police beating, outside Detroit, of a fifty-seven-year-old black man named Floyd Dent made the news only after footage surfaced of an officer apparently planting an incriminating bag of cocaine. It takes a video to make the apparition disappear.

What do we imagine has changed in the past months and years? Has the behavior of some police officers suddenly worsened, or are smartphones?video sentinels in every pocket?finally confirming the laments of generations of black and brown Americans? If there had been no video of Walter Scott?s death, of John Crawford?s death, of Tamir Rice?s death, of Eric Garner?s death, how quickly would we have dismissed our doubts? Would we have taken seriously the evidence at hand and tried to determine what happened, or would we have allowed police and prosecutors to avoid the public accounting of a trial? How quickly we dismiss the stream of routine traffic stops, like Walter Scott?s broken taillight, that turn into summonses and warrants and arrests, lost jobs and lost freedoms, creating the volatile racial tinder that is ready for a spark. Did we listen to the people of Ferguson before the U.S. Justice Department released its scathing report, which revealed the town in Missouri where Michael Brown was killed to be like so many places across the nation, a town where poor and largely powerless communities are used as a source of municipal revenue?

The challenge now is to look past our default disbelief, to take seriously the complaints of those who we know are marginalized. We can no longer wait until there is footage to be shocked into outrage. Of course, there will be unclear cases and bad actors on both sides?suspects and police who lie to save their skins. But if we are to cease the particularly cruel disrespect of ignoring so many of our fellow-citizens, most often in our poorer neighborhoods of color, then we must act on what we know is true, on what they tell us is happening to them when we are not watching. Justice requires that we have the same seriousness of purpose when the cameras are off.
    Last edited by debk589; 04-13-2015 at 09:39 AM.

Because he did not just run after being tazed he ran from the car in the first place. There was no way that cop was going to shoot him at the traffic stop he wasn't all being violent or rude he didn't have his hand on his weapon. The second that man took off running and think about all the things that went to the police officers head. Do you think he chased after him thinking broken taillight or child-support know he probably thought he was armed or dangerous or had warrants etc.

I know the police officer was wrong but again I don't see in black-and-white I see in gray and the person running was not 100% innocent. You know that, his family knows that, the news knows that but they just want a headline and well they got a doozy! I have not read all the other stories of people shot by police I'm sure they are probably completely innocent people out there that happens to.

I have loads of empathy I am just over the whole riots and news casts and front page news stories of people who were so wrongly abused at the hands of authority only to see a few days later photos of them holding guns or robbing stores or having huge rap,sheets etc. hard to really spot a victim anymore. I will save my tears and heartache till I know the whole truth.

Respectfully, Kat, I disagree with the assertion that you're not looking at this in black and white. If you think someone has to be "100% innocent" for it to be a major problem when they're pumped full of holes by a cop, then you've missed the gray area by a long-shot.

And while I appreciate that you've acknowledged the officer was wrong, didn't you say in the cop thread that the problem is not that the officer shot Mr. Scott but rather he just shot him too many times? That is shocking to me. It is not OK for cops to shoot someone because they might be armed or might have warrants. What if someone has warrants for unpaid parking tickets? Does that person deserve to be shot simply for running away?

If the video doesn't convince you that Mr. Scott was not a threat to the officer, I doubt anything will.

As far your statement about this happening to one of your kids ... If your unarmed kid was shot multiple times in the back while running from the cops because he/she feared going to jail over money he/she couldn't pay, you would use that as some kind of "teachable moment" rather than screaming for justice for your murdered child? I have a hard time wrapping my head around that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

if a cop already has a person's information and has no reason to believe the person is dangerous, can't they just go pick the person up at their home or work?

With all the talk of "you shouldn't run", I just wanted to present for the record that this is what happens when you stop running and immediately start complying.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

what am i? chopped liver? i posted that twice the other day. this happened in my town.

Thread Information