Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Walter Scott, 50, Was Shot Dead By Officer Michael Slager Who Has Been Charged With His Murder

STAY ON TOPIC. The next thing you post that is not relevant to this case and just more of your boring rambling, or people fighting and being annoying, is going to be deleted. Cut it the fuck out.

Cat, you are being warned. If I see more shit about fuzzy animals or your cat or the color pink or whatever other garbage you use to deflect your opinions, I am going to time you out for two days.

and anyone continuously picking at her is gonna get the same. KEEP THIS SHIT IN CHIT CHAT THREADS.

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-sc-officer-...151700892.html

Ex-SC officer indicted for murder in shooting of black man

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A grand jury affirmed the state of South Carolina's murder charge on Monday against a white former North Charleston police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man trying to run from a traffic stop.

The shooting April 4 was captured on video by a bystander, showing officer Michael Slager firing eight times as 50-year-old Walter Scott ran away, enflaming a national debate about how black people are treated by white police officers.

Slager was charged with murder by state law enforcement agents and fired from the police force immediately after the video surfaced.

Prosecutor Scarlett Wilson announced the indictment, which represents at least the fourth time in less than six months that a sitting grand jury in South Carolina has agreed that white officers should stand trial in the shootings of black men.

"The jury will make up its own mind after it sees the video and hears the other testimony," Wilson said. No trial date has been set.

Walter Scott's brother Rodney Scott said the family is "very happy and pleased" with the indictment of Slager.

In South Carolina, the investigating agency typically presents the case to a grand jury, not the prosecutor. Wilson said the investigating officers had the video when they went before the grand jury but couldn't say for certain if they saw it.

The 33-year-old Slager, who has been jailed since his arrest, faces 30 years to life in prison if convicted. Wilson said the death penalty does not seem to apply because there were no aggravating circumstances such as robbery or kidnapping as required under state law.

Slager's lawyer didn't want to comment on the indictment.

"Until we have an opportunity to fully evaluate the state's case and to compare it with our own investigation we will not be commenting on any aspect of the case," Attorney Andy Savage said in a statement.

Chris Stewart, a lawyer for Scott's family, said in a news conference after the indictment that they plan to file a wrongful death suit against North Charleston and its police force.

"Today was just an example of if you keep the faith, even in the darkest times, you will see the light," he said. "We are going to patiently wait for the criminal trial in this case and we are going to patiently wait to see if the city, the police department and the chief are going to take responsibility in the civil suit."

Slager told authorities he initially tried to stun Scott with his Taser, but it didn't work, and that as both men scuffled over the stun gun, he fired his handgun at Scott in self-defense. The video shows the men briefly scuffling over what appears to be a Taser before Scott runs away and the officer begins firing at Scott's back.

Another video, from the officer's dashboard camera, shows Scott bolting from his car after Slager pulled him over and checked his identification. Slager then chased him down.

Family members have speculated that Scott may have tried to flee because he was fearful of returning to jail over about $18,000 he owed in late child-support payments.

As word of the shooting spread in South Carolina, many feared police would close the case without taking any action. Days later, Scott's family publicized the bystander's video, and his death instantly became international news. Slager's arrest and firing eased tensions in the community.

The cellphone video added fuel to the national debate about race and aggressive police tactics, which intensified in August with the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. In that case, there was no video of the shooting and Officer Darren Wilson was not indicted.

In Baltimore, six officers were indicted in the death of Freddie Gray, who was critically injured during an arrest there and later died at a hospital.

In South Carolina, charges have been brought against Slager and three other officers shooting at unarmed black men. Three of the men were killed, and the third seriously injured.

Only one of the cases has gone to trial, ending in a mistrial. A retrial is set for next week.

Grand juries in South Carolina are 18 people picked at random from the county who typically serve from several months to a year. They usually hear from the investigating officer and decide whether to indict a defendant.

Prosecutors cannot try anyone for a serious crime in the state without an indictment, unless the defendant waives the grand jury hearing. Defense attorneys said it is rare for a grand jury not to indict because just 12 of the 18 jurors have to agree it is probable the person charged committed the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I find it hilarious that YOU are acting all high and mighty toward us when you're posting on here just like anyone else and in addition, defending a murderer. A child murderer, at that. Go fuck a Popsicle.

Family of Walter Scott who was shot dead by police reach $6.5million settlement with North Charleston

-The North Charleston City Council approved the settlement by a 10-0 vote, and Walter Scott's family was on hand when it was announced Thursday
    -Scott, 50, was shot April 4 by North Charleston officer Michael Slager while trying to run from a traffic stop
    -A bystander recorded the shooting in dramatic cellphone video

City officials in South Carolina approved a $6.5 million settlement Thursday with the family of an unarmed black man fatally shot by a white police officer who was captured on cellphone video firing at the man's back as he ran away.

The North Charleston City Council approved the settlement by a 10-0 vote, and members of Walter Scott's family were on hand when it was announced.
    Scott, 50, was shot April 4 by North Charleston officer Michael Slager while trying to run from a traffic stop. A bystander recorded the shooting in dramatic cellphone video.

Slager was indicted on a murder charge in June and a judge refused to set bond last month, saying his release would 'constitute an unreasonable danger to the community.'
    'While nothing can replace having Walter in our lives, the City of North Charleston's historic action ensures that he did not die in vain,' Scott's brother Anthony said, noting the settlement will provide for Scott's children.

'It was a bittersweet victory,' he added. 'The family still wants justice for my brother and this was a step in the right direction.'
    Anthony Scott said the family plans to donate some of the money from the settlement to disaster relief for victims of the recent floods in South Carolina.

Mayor Keith Summey said he was pleased with the settlement.
    'The family took steps to keep the community calm, and for that the city is thankful,' he said. 'This is a very difficult period for the Scott family. I know they are glad to have this part behind them so their healing process can continue.'
    The bystander's cellphone video showed Slager firing eight times as Scott ran. The shooting inflamed the national debate about how blacks are treated by law enforcement officers.

After the video went public, the family called for peace and calm in the community. At least in part, the family's actions are believed to have prevented the kind of violence that erupted elsewhere in the nation following the deaths of black men following encounters with law enforcement.
    The mayor said that since the shooting, North Charleston police have been outfitted with body cameras. Slager was not wearing one. Summey also noted the police department will be working with a division of the Department of Justice that helps local communities resolve issues involving race, color, national origin or gender.

City Attorney Brady Hair said Summey met with the family and their attorney several days after the shooting. Hair said both sides felt that it was in everyone's best interest to reach a resolution and avoid a lawsuit. While attorneys for the family said at the time they might sue, they never did. A mediator helped negotiate the settlement, which Hair said will be paid by the city's insurance carrier and from the city's reserve fund. He said how much would come from each has not been worked out.

Attorney Chris Stewart, who represents the Scott family, said a number of issues had to be considered in reaching the $6.5 million figure. Noting that North Charleston is no New York, he remarked, 'There is no way this city could pay $50 million.' He said attorneys also had to consider the damage a drawn-out legal battle might do to the city and its residents.

Hair said the $6.5 million represents the largest settlement for such a case in the state's history.
    Slager was fired following his arrest on the murder charges and has been detained in solitary confinement.
    Before the video was brought to the attention of authorities, Slager had told investigators that Scott tried to grab his gun and Taser. But prosecutor Scarlett Wilson said Scott was running away and the only time Slager could be seen running was to go back, pick up the Taser and then drop it by Scott's body.
    Slager faces from 30 years to life in prison without parole if he is convicted of murder. There were no aggravating circumstances such as robbery or kidnapping,
    so the death penalty doesn't apply in the case, the prosecutor has said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3oQDWlCdE
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Wow

Slager was indicted on a murder charge in June and a judge refused to set bond last month, saying his release would 'constitute an unreasonable danger to the community.'

So different to Tamir Rice's case

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    I literally just said "holy shit" out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Well. That's ONE down.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    The motion says that if the video is allowed into evidence, it should not be shown in slow motion because that implies that Slager had malicious intent toward Scott.
    It shows he had malicious intent because he DID have malicious intent. Are they for real that they aren't going to allow the one piece of evidence that shows him blatantly murdering him in the trial? FFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

It shows he had malicious intent because he DID have malicious intent. Are they for real that they aren't going to allow the one piece of evidence that shows him blatantly murdering him in the trial? FFS
    You can't show that tape, because it makes my client look guilty. I mean he's shooting someone in the back, for crying out loud! Your honor, you must exclude it.

Sounds like an SNL skit.

I fired until the threat was stopped, not sure if he tripped, or what? Dude, I don't even remember dropping the taser.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Officer Skip Allen called Slager a "go-to officer" who would handle relations between the police and bars in North Charleston. Allen said that Slager was also a model for younger officers because of his knowledge and his maturity.
    And yes, I'm totally judging this guy based on his name. I would NEVER trust a fucking thing officer Skip Allen has to say.

Fuck off, Skip.

ETA: he sounds like the bully in an 80s movie.

"I would ask her to prom, but she's already going with Skip Allen. His dad owns the rec center, and they plan on shutting it down. I hate Skip."
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 11-29-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    Know why the guy ran? Hint: It's the same thing that made the cop shoot: Adrenaline.

Except of the two, only ONE of them was entrusted with a firearm and was supposedly paid and trained to handle it responsibly and do his job even when the adrenaline starts pumping.

The "shouldn't have run" argument doesn't hold water here. Even the officer knew that, or he would not have dropped the taser by the victim's lifeless body. It is a crap argument, and it's the reason he's being charged with murder.

[

But what about the end of the video that shows him dropping the taser next to Scott's lifeless body??????

Fuckers.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    But what about the end of the video that shows him dropping the taser next to Scott's lifeless body??????

Fuckers.
    word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-co...walter-n691291

''Lone Juror Says He Can't Convict Ex-Cop in Walter Scott Killing''

"I cannot in good conscience consider a guilty verdict"-So does that mean he got on this jury knowing that he could never find this person guilty no matter what they showed him?
    Exactly. What an asshole.

Abc news
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/drama-build...86&cid=abcn_fb

The jury asked a series of questions in a note this morning: Why was a voluntary manslaughter charge offered in addition to murder? Define imminent danger? What is aforethought for murder? Is there a time frame for self defense? Does the idea of self defense apply to a police officer the same as an ordinary person?

Looks justified to me

Mistrial called by the judge

SHAME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gooniemon View Post
    Looks justified to me
    I'm over you, bye.

I'm over you, bye.

I love when you do that

The state says they are going to do another trial.

I do wonder this tho....if that one juror says he can't find guilty "no matter what" why couldn't they replace him?

IMO, he was basically saying- no matter what evidence you show me I'm still going to find the police officer not guilty. He wouldn't even rewatch the video.

Of the 11 white and one black members of the jury, a white male juror was the holdout. He shook his head "no" when the judge asked the jury if they needed to hear back testimony from the man who recorded the witness video.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/drama-build...ry?id=43980786

I think owning a red MAGA cap should be enough for jury disqualification.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    The state says they are going to do another trial.

I do wonder this tho....if that one juror says he can't find guilty "no matter what" why couldn't they replace him?

IMO, he was basically saying- no matter what evidence you show me I'm still going to find the police officer not guilty. He wouldn't even rewatch the video.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/drama-build...ry?id=43980786
    Yes, he obviously had no business being on a jury. He wasn't capable of being unbiased.

Yes, he obviously had no business being on a jury. He wasn't capable of being unbiased.
    It's not like I'd go in with the attitude that "I'm sending this cop to jail no matter what," but if someone with a badge made it all the way to trial, that nigga is guilty as fuck!

Interesting tweet from Ferguson activist Bassem Masri. Haven't seen any of these comments myself but he's been very outspoken on police violence/murder so I'm going to take his word for it that they're out there

https://twitter.com/bassem_masri
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information