Thread: Raw video: firefighter falls through roof while battling Fresno fire

Raw video: firefighter falls through roof while battling Fresno fire

They just keep playing this video over and over again I look at news it's so sad.

http://abc30.com/news/raw-video-fire...e-fire/585413/

Sure hope he makes it.

On a totally unrelated note how come when people shoot these videos they always seem to move or drop the camera at the exact moment you want to see what's going on. It's like when people get photos of aliens there always blurry!

Mommy to: Misty-Allison-Elliot-Sebastian-Quinn
    And our newest rugrat MISS MARLEE!!!

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    I come from a family of firefighters and I was one myself for a few years. This video gave me a crying panic attack. He should not have been up on that roof, someone made a bad call. I hope he makes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

I believe the story said he was a fire chief

The unnamed firefighter, who is a captain with FFD, was rushed to Community Regional Medical Center. Donis said he has third-degree burns over 30 percent of his body and 60-70 percent of his body is burned.
    looking for an update

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Holy shit!!!...He fell into a fucking inferno!
    Holy shit.

I'd have had to call in a chopper for that one unless I were close enough to transport him on the ground quickly. His airway has got to be a holy fucking mess. That's the worst thing, they breathe in that superheated air and it burns everything on the way down. Then they sustain burns to their skin which causes fluid loss, third spacing, and hypovolemia, then they develop infections like pneumonia and...well, it occasionally doesn't end well.

I hope he gets the best care available and can recover fully.

And that's why I'm just a paramedic, and not a firefighter too. That shit right there.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Captain maybe, chiefs don't actually play with the fire, they manage the incident.

He was sounding the roof like he was supposed to. (that's what he was doing with the tool) It just looked like he was in a hurry and didn't do it as hard as he should. That the fire had been burning too hot and too long for them to have sent anyone up there for ventilation.

Not trying to monday morning quarterback, it's just a safety issue that's getting a lot of discussion on the facebook fire groups I'm on.

Fresno Fire has announced the only official fundraising page for the family. http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...-family/330134

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    And I just have to add, I know it's customary for firefighters to go back for their own..no one wants to leave anyone behind. But you have got to have balls of fucking titanium to walk through an inferno like that. Kudos all the way to every fucking one of them.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

I was just about to update, thank you Duckie!

The Fresno, California, firefighter who suffered serious burns on a majority of his body after falling through a roof while responding to a house fire Sunday will be likely be hospitalized for more than two months under the best of circumstances, his primary doctor said Monday.

The harrowing moment when Fresno Capt. Pete Dern fell through a roof and into flames, which leapt the moment the roof collapsed, was recorded on a neighbor's cellphone.

Fresno Fire Department Capt. Robert VanTassel said in a statement Monday that Dern was rescued by fellow firefighters within minutes, but he still suffered second and third degree burns on at least 65 percent of his body.

Dr. William J. Dominic, the director of the Burn Center at Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno, said during a news conference Monday that Dern is at risk for severe lung damage due to smoke inhalation and will likely contract an infection. Skin grafting will be difficult, Dominic said, since such a large portion of Dern's body is burned.

"He had burns that went all the way around his extremity," Dominic said. "We'll be taking care of Mr. Dern for a long time," he added. Dominic said Dern was in critical condition after an initial surgery Sunday and was receiving enough pain medication to make him "comfortable but not totally comatose."

VanTassel said during the briefing that Dern was an Army helicopter pilot and a 25-year veteran of the Fresno Fire Department. He is also the father of a college-aged daughter who is "very proud of him," Vantassel said.

Fresno Fire Chief Kerri Donis called Dern "a leader among leaders," who she said has probably trained most of the firefighters currently at the department. "We're hoping this is a near-miss as opposed to a line of duty death," she said.

— Elisha Fieldstadt

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    And I just have to add, I know it's customary for firefighters to go back for their own..no one wants to leave anyone behind. But you have got to have balls of fucking titanium to walk through an inferno like that. Kudos all the way to every fucking one of them.
    seriously.
    Last edited by PunkerDuckie; 03-30-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Thread Information