Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 29yo California Woman was abducted and then returned, and police did not believe her story

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Maybe the quotations around the word abducted should be removed from the title. I feel so bad for not believing this couple.
    Yeah but why should we feel bad the FBI literally went on national TV was like she's a liar why wouldn't we believe them ?

Mommy to: Misty-Allison-Elliot-Sebastian-Quinn
    And our newest rugrat MISS MARLEE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinatedkat View Post
    Yeah but why should we feel bad the FBI literally went on national TV was like she's a liar why wouldn't we believe them ?
    I question just about everything the media puts out there these days but this was so outlandish that I believed it was a hoax after reading all of the facts. It just turns out that this Harvard grad is like many others I've witnessed that are so smart, they are actually dumb... if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by soultosqueeze View Post
    I question just about everything the media puts out there these days but this was so outlandish that I believed it was a hoax after reading all of the facts. It just turns out that this Harvard grad is like many others I've witnessed that are so smart, they are actually dumb... if that makes sense.
    I know, especially those emails....wtf??

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I definitely don't believe everything the media tells me but The FBI... If you can't believe them who the hell can you believe?

There were photos??? I can't believe the kidnappers wanted to prove so badly it was all real....maybe they got pissed they weren't getting "credit"?

Can someone post the photos here for me, pretty please?

Vallejo kidnapping photos revealed

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) ?The San Francisco Chronicle has released photographs that one of its reporters received from Denise Huskins' kidnappers during and following her captivity in March.

The photos were included in emails sent to the newspaper as a way to convince Vallejo police that Huskins' story was not a hoax.

One of the photos shows various items that the kidnappers' emails said they used in the kidnapping or stole from people's homes in the Mare Island neighborhood of Vallejo.

Spread on the white garbage bag are gloves, surveillance cameras, a blonde wig and zip ties.

"Mare Island residents, if you recognize something as yours, please contact police and so advise them, to help the victims prove this is not a hoax," wrote the kidnappers on March 28.

Another photo shows a bedroom where the kidnappers said Huskins was held.

There is an unmade bed and eyeglasses on a nightstand that the kidnappers said belong to Huskins.

"I'm not sure why I became these guys favorite pen pal, but there you have it," Chronicle reporter Henry K. Lee told a San Francisco television station.

Lee said the Chronicle chose not to print the photos when it received them because editors could not be sure they were authentic.

On Monday, federal authorities unsealed court documents that include the emails to the Chronicle and identify Matthew Muller, of Orangevale, as a suspect.

Muller graduated from Bella Vista High School and later became a trumpet player in the United States Marine Corps.

Steve Reed said he is a friend of the Muller family and has known their son, Matthew, since he was born.

"I think everything that he took on, he wanted to do well," Reed said.

Reed, a retired police officer and former head of security at Arden Fair Mall, said he has not been directly in contact with Muller for about 20 years but has spoken this week with his family about his arrest.

"They've given to the community for 40 years or more. And (they're) proud of their child's accomplishments. And then something like this happens. They're devastated," he said.

When arrested on June 8 at a family vacation home in South Lake Tahoe, Muller told investigators he suffers from bipolar disease, psychosis and Gulf War illness.

Reed said during the time he knew Muller, he never saw symptoms of mental illness.

Neither did one of Muller's former classmates at Pomona College.

Alex Voldberding said he remembers Muller mainly as driven.

"Matt would rise early in the morning, run five miles before first class, which was slightly different than most of our peers," Voldberding said.

Muller remains at the Alameda County Jail, where he is being held on a robbery charged related to a home invasion in Dublin.

His attorney, Thomas Johnson, said he will likely be transferred to Sacramento within 2 to 3 weeks to face a federal judge on the kidnapping charge.

Johnson said he may explore a defense based on Muller's mental health status.

An attorney for Huskins, Douglas Rappaport, said such a defense strategy would be "crazy."

"Given the intelligence needed to orchestrate the crime, this all seems to say somebody understood the nature and quality of his acts," Rappaport said.

http://www.kcra.com/news/vallejo-kid...ealed/34190344

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Holy shit, the suspect graduated from Bella Vista....the same high school I went to and graduated from!

Not much to see one photo was just things they stole from peoples houses and one photo was where they and legibly kept the girl tied up

Oh. He was a trumpet player. Wel there you have it.,

The man charged in a bizarre California kidnapping that police initially dismissed as a hoax allegedly said he acted alone in the plot in an "off the record" jailhouse interview with a local CBS station that has since been obtained by the FBI.

Federal prosecutors charged Matthew Muller - a disbarred Harvard University-trained attorney - with the March kidnapping of Denise Huskins from her Vallejo, California, home. Huskins, 29, turned up safe two days later in her hometown of Huntington Beach, where she says she was dropped off, hours before a ransom demand was due.
    In the July KPIX interview recorded by the jail and outlined in an FBI affidavit in support of a search warrant, Muller allegedly "ascribed his conduct to mental illness, a belief in some kind of conspiracy, and some kind of supposed side effect from a vaccine." In a conversation with KPIX that Muller said was "off the record and on the background," Muller said that he acted alone as he discussed the kidnapping.
    KPIX reporter Juliette Goodrich didn't include portions of the conversation Muller said were off the record in her television report, according to the station. But the jail, which warns people that it records conversations with inmates, recorded the interview, including the portions that the accused requested to be off the record, the FBI said.

"When Muller told me in our jailhouse interview, 'you cannot use certain things I am telling you in your publication,' I did not," Goodrich said, according to KPIX. "However it turns out 'off the record' does not pertain to the feds."

Goodrich did report that Muller said he felt bad for the kidnapping victim and thought the victim deserved an apology.

News of the FBI's access to the jailhouse interview was first reported by Wired.

Police in Vallejo initially said they had no evidence to indicate the case was an abduction and dubbed it the "Gone Girl" case - referring to a book and movie about a mysterious disappearance - but after Muller was charged by federal prosecutors, they've declined to comment.

Attorneys for the woman and her boyfriend have demanded police issue an apology, calling Huskins "100 percent, positively a victim."

'There was an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence that linked Muller to the crime but now there's direct evidence which is his detailed admission he was the kidnapper that was recorded during your jailhouse interview," Huskins' attorney, Doug Rappaport, told Goodrich Wednesday.

Muller was arrested in Huskins' case following an attempted Dublin, Calif. home invasion in June which allegedly had similarities to the Vallejo kidnapping, according to the FBI. Police said in that incident, one of the victims managed to fight back and Muller lost his cellphone at the scene. The cell phone number pointed police to Muller's South Lake Tahoe address and in turn much of the evidence against him in the Vallejo case, according to the FBI.

The FBI has said that evidence includes a water pistol with a flashlight and laser pointer on it, a laptop that resembled one Aaron Quinn had, a pair of goggles with hair on it the same color as the victim's, and a vehicle navigation system that turned up the same address of the home where Huskins resurfaced.
    The FBI also uncovered four aerial drones - two of which had cameras -- and a wireless video camera and receiver in a Vallejo storage locker they say links Muller to Huskins' kidnapping, according to the affidavit.
    Muller's attorney, Thomas Johnson, is asking a judge to throw out much of the evidence in the case, saying it was obtained through an illegal search of the cellphone. The judge has not yet ruled on that, Johnson told 48 Hours' Crimesider.

Johnson said his client's statement to KPIX didn't amount to a confession, though he said he hadn't heard it and couldn't comment beyond that. Muller has pleaded not guilty in the Dublin case and plans to plead not guilty in Huskins' case, too, Johnson said.

The FBI said in a July statement that in the early morning on March 23 in Vallejo, Huskins and her boyfriend, Aaron Quinn, were awakened by a bright light.

Quinn told police he heard a noise similar to a stun gun, and then a man, who authorities allege was Matthew Muller, told Huskins and Quinn to lie face down on the bed.

According to FBI documents, Quinn said the man told Huskins to bind Quinn's hands and feet with zip ties and forced them both into a closet before Huskins was taken to the next bedroom.

Tape-covered goggles were allegedly put over Quinn's eyes, along with headphones on his ears playing a prerecorded message that said the break-in was being done by a professional group collecting debts and that both victims would receive electric shocks and cuts on their faces if they didn't cooperate.
    The recording said Quinn would be drugged with what he described as "1/4 a bottle of Diazepam and Nyquil," according to the FBI. The recording said that a camera would be placed in the home to monitor him, and responding officers found a small surveillance camera in the home.

The FBI said the suspect then allegedly retrieved Quinn's bank account information from his laptop.
    Quinn said he was placed on the couch and fell asleep. When he woke up he said he was able to free himself.

He found that Huskins, his laptop and his car were missing. Huskins was located two days later.

During that time, police received a ransom demand of $8,500, in exchange for Huskins' safe return. Two days later, she was found near her parents' house in Huntington Beach, Calif.

The affidavit states that the victim was sexually assaulted during the kidnapping.

During the time Huskins was missing, a San Francisco Chronicle reporter received an anonymous email with a link to an audio file "stripped of identifying data" that depicts a female voice identifying herself as the kidnapping victim, according to the FBI. The FBI did not name Huskins in the document. The woman said "she is still alive because she knows of the German airliner that crashed in the French Alps, and that it was in fact her as her first concert she went to was Blink 182," the affidavit states.

The affidavit also outlines two 2009 home invasions that have eerie similarities to Huskins' case.

In the early morning hours of Sept. 29, 2009, a 27-year-old victim was sleeping in her Mountain View, Calif. apartment when she awoke to an unknown man on her back, according to the FBI. The man told her that this was a robbery and he was there for identity theft purposes, according to the affidavit - he said he needed to wire money offshore for fraudulent activity.

The man was masked and wearing tight-fitting black clothing, the FBI stated, and he handcuffed the victim's hands and used Velcro to bind her feet. At one point, the suspect placed something the victim said she thought were blacked out swim goggles over her eyes.

The suspect made the victim drink a small amount of what she thought was Nyquil, the affidavit states. The suspect asked the victim questions including her date of birth, mother's maiden name and social security number, according to the FBI.

Muller hasn't been charged in that incident. Mountain View police didn't immediately return a call for comment from 48 Hours' Crimesider.

Several days before the Mountain View incident, Muller was interviewed by police after he was seen walking in the area in Palo Alto where a resident said he saw a suspicious person coming out of the back of an apartment building and entering the back of another apartment building. Muller told an officer he was a visiting professor from Harvard teaching at Stanford, but police later determined he wasn't teaching at Stanford.

Several weeks later, on Oct. 18, 2009, the FBI says a 32-year-old victim - a Harvard University student studying at Stanford - was sleeping in her Palo Alto apartment when she awoke to an unknown man wearing tight-fitting black clothing straddling her. The man said it was a robbery, and that he was there for information. He allegedly restrained the woman's arms, tied her ankles using Velcro, used surgical tape to cover her eyes, and forced her to drink Nyquil, the document states.

The suspect asked the victim for information including PIN numbers, email addresses and passwords, and her family members' addresses and social security numbers, according to the affidavit. The victim later told police she believed he was asking the questions to make some kind of overseas transaction.

The suspect attempted to rape the victim and threatened to inject her with the sedative and pain killer Ketamine, the affidavit states, but then stopped the attempt.

The FBI says the victim was connected to Muller because she had attended a 2008 event at Harvard University which he had organized. Muller was later interviewed in the case by a detective, the affidavit states.

Palo Alto police told Crimesider Muller remains the only suspect in that case, and they'll review evidence in the Dublin and Vallejo cases to see if there's any evidence that could assist in their investigation.

"The fact that Muller knew facts about his victims indicates that he probably conducted online research of his targets," the FBI affidavit states. "These recurring crimes involving nighttime home intrusions in which passwords are demanded indicates some plan for further use of computers and/or the Internet for crime."
    I snipped some of the article
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-obta...cbs-affiliate/

The woman is suing. Can't say I blame her.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/californ...ation-lawsuit/

Police who dismissed a California woman's kidnapping as a hoax akin to the Hollywood movie "Gone Girl" damaged her and her boyfriend's reputations and forced them to move, a lawsuit filed Tuesday claims.

The suit by Denise Huskins and her boyfriend, Aaron Quinn, accuses Vallejo police of defamation and infliction of emotional distress and seeks unspecified damages. It names the City of Vallejo and two police officers as defendants.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Good for her. That was insane.

Thread Information