Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teacher Jillian Jacobson (31) hanged herself from her classroom ceiling and her students found her

Teacher Jillian Jacobson (31) hanged herself from her classroom ceiling and her students found her

Authorities say the Southern California teacher who committed suicide by hanging in her classroom was a well-liked 31-year-old photography instructor.

Placentia police Lt. Eric Point says Jillian Jacobson, of Anaheim, was found in full cardiac arrest Monday morning.

Several students at El Dorado High School found the classroom door locked and thought Jacobson was late. Point says they went next door to get another teacher, who returned with them and opened the door. Jacobson was found hanging from the ceiling.

Paramedics performed CPR but she was pronounced dead.

Assistant Superintendent Kevin Lee, with Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District, says classes were dismissed for the day at 11 a.m.

Crisis counselors are available on campus.

http://wgntv.com/2015/03/02/teacher-...a-high-school/

Her Facebook has been deleted.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://heavy.com/news/2015/03/mrs-ji...ia-california/

A beloved teacher at a California high school hanged herself to death in her classroom and was discovered by horrified students this morning as they arrived for class. Jillian Jacobson, 31, had worked for eight years as a photography instructor at El Dorado High School in the Orange County town of Placentia. Her students and colleagues described her in glowing, inspirational terms.

Here’s what you should know about this devastating school tragedy:

1. She Was Found Hanging From the Ceiling

Students arriving for Jacobson’s first class of the day found the classroom locked and summoned another teacher to open it. When they were let into the room, students witnessed their teacher hanging from the ceiling, authorities told the LA Times. She was lowered to the floor before emergency services arrived. Jacobson left no note.

The OC Register reports the Placentia police Lieutenant Eric Pointe told the media, “When police and fire arrived, the teacher was in cardiac arrest. After several minutes, she was declared deceased at the scene.”

2. Students Say Jacobson’s Father Also Committed Suicide

The OC Register quoted students who said Jacobson’s father had committed suicide, and she often discussed suicide awareness with her students. One of her students, Leo Amayas, told the Register that Jacobson “gave no signs of being depressed or sad.”

Reached for comment by Heavy, the school declined to comment.

3. She Said Her Students ‘Always Keep Me on My Toes’

A Spring 2010 school newsletter that “Ms. Jacobson had 100% of her AP kids pass!” The same page also has a quote from Jacobson that reads, “Today is a great day to take pictures! I really enjoy working high school students, they always keep me on my toes. This year I had 25 students take the AP photo portfolio, more than ever before.”

A profile from her work as a camp counselor for summer programs at Cal State Fullerton details her undergraduate and graduate degrees in fine arts and education:

As part of the Art Camp teaching staff, Jillian has taught ceramics, black and white photography, and digital photography. Currently, she teaches photography at El Dorado High School. This summer she will be teaching print making as well as unique painting techniques. She holds a BFA in Ceramics and Glass, a BA in Art Education, and an MS in Educational Leadership. She also has a Single Subject Teaching Credential in Art and a Tier 1 Administrative Credential. “I look forward to teaching in CSUF’s Art Camp every year,” Jillian says. “My goal every summer is to give campers an experience they will always remember, and to send them home with art work they will be proud of for years to come.”

On the teacher-review website Rate My Teacher, three students left comments — two five-star reviews and one critical assessment.

One student wrote, “love love love love LOVE Jacobson. She knows her stuff and is SO much fun to talk to you!! AP Photo is that much more fun because of her.” Another wrote simply, “The best :).”

The most recent review came in November 2013: “She isn’t very good at explaining everything. She is very nice though.”

Online records show that Jacobson made $62,000 in 2014. She had taught at the school for eight years.

4. Students Have Taken to Twitter to Mourn Jacobson

As news of her suicide spread, there was an outpouring of emotion from Jacobson’s students on Twitter.

5. She Lived in Anaheim With Her Husband

Online records show that Jacobson lived in Anaheim with her 34-year-old husband. Her married name is Jacobson, she was born Jillian Rose Prisbrey. She was originally from Glendora, California, according to her Facebook page, which has been deleted. You can view a cached version here. The profile photo on the page shows a tape cassette with the magnetic tape pulled out in the shape of a heart. The cover image is that of a cat. She was a fan of numerous photography businesses in southern California.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I wonder why her income is relevant?

Why would this lady do this to her poor students? I do not understand.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Maybe she wanted to be sure someone found her quickly?

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Maybe she wanted to be sure someone found her quickly?
    She had to know the effect that would have on her kids, though. Not at all a nice thing to leave them with, you know? Those memories will last forever. You can say all you want "remember the good times". That is, until you see your teacher dangling from the ceiling, dead as a doornail. Someone you just talked to yesterday. Someone who you knew, admired, got used to, maybe even cared about. That shit sticks with you.

Poor girl, I wonder what in her life was so bad that she had to kill herself to begin with?
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

This is horrible for the students. she had to have known there was a chance they would be the ones finding her.

Maybe there was stuff going on between the teachers behind closed doors - schools can be bitchy places to work. Maybe she thought a teacher would find her and it would be a final fuck you?

At first I thought she assumed only another teach would find her...but there are better places to do it to make sure only another teacher would find her and not students. she may have just not been thinking. it's still horrible for those students.

Am I the only one giggling at the "Placentia Police Dept" ?

Sad story though.

Those poor kids. Damn.

Well her dad passed by committing suicide, so she damn well should have known the effects of all this dramatic leave.

My year 3 teacher hung himself, at his home thankfully not at school.
    I remember the whole grade being sat down whilst a counsellor explained what had happened.
    It was pretty horrible a class room of yrs 3 kids trying to understand. We were all to young to even know about suicide.

It's hard. Last year we had a faculty member shoot himself on campus. Suicide leaves ripples, and no matter how much people try to tell themselves their friends, family and coworkers will be better off it's usually not true.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I just don't understand why she would traumatize those children in that manner. I usually feel sorry for suicide victims. I'm having a hard time finding sympathy.

Are they sure it's suicide? The first thing that came to my mind was the woman who was strangled in New York and they tried to make it look like a suicide.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly

Hmm I wonder if all classrooms can be locked from the inside? Sounds a bit dangerous if you have a bunch of kids lock themselves in a room.

Van Halen should write a new song "Hung for Teacher".

I am really having a hard time believing she chose to do this to her students. If she did, asshole move.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by superiorIntelligence View Post
    Van Halen should write a new song "Hung for Teacher".
    He already did, they had to change it for the censors. 1984 was a good year, but they'd never allow that shit on the radio then, fo sho!
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Are they sure it's suicide? The first thing that came to my mind was the woman who was strangled in New York and they tried to make it look like a suicide.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly
    There was no one else in the room with her, door locked from the inside, how could it not be?

They were able to unlock it from the outside, so I'm sure they could have locked the door from the outside, too. My doors can lock from the inside, but I use the key to lock them from the outside when I leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    There was no one else in the room with her, door locked from the inside, how could it not be?
    I use to climb out of my Science class windows all of the time after I threw my text book out there.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I cant help but think what she was feeling and thinking in the last 24 hours of her life? Did she have second thoughts? was she afraid? Did she think about her loved ones or students?

I didn't know her, but this story upset me

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    It's incredibly easy to lock a door from the inside on the way out. You should check out that Adrienne Shelly info, it's very fucked up.

And as Peace said, windows.

I hope they look into this. It doesn't sound like there was a note and if someone was going to go through the efforts of such a public suicide, you'd think there'd be some 'this is why I chose school' information. The whole situation seems very off to me.

Thread Information