Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
Results 351 to 370 of 370

Thread: Conrad Roy (18) committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning after his friend encouraged him to kill himself

  1. #351
    So very tired raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12,104
    Rep Power
    21474855
    I'm guessing that the part in bold is the part she has the biggest problem with.

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...id=mailsignout

    Michelle Carter Will Appeal After Being Convicted for Urging Boyfriend to Kill Himself

    Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman convicted of involuntary manslaughter for urging her boyfriend to kill himself in a series of texts and phone conversations in 2014, on Wednesday filed a notice of appeal, according to court documents obtained by PEOPLE.

    Carter was sentenced in early August to serve 15 months in jail, but Massachusetts judge Lawrence Moniz stayed the sentence pending her potential appeal. After her sentencing, Carter’s attorney, Joseph Cataldo, said she would appeal and that that process “could take months, years.”

    It was not immediately clear what part of her case Carter will contest, the conviction or her sentence. Her attorney did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
    Carter was sentenced to two-and-a-half years, but all but 15 months of that sentence were suspended. She had faced up to 20 years after being charged as a youthful offender, which under state law allowed her to be sentenced the same as an adult although she was a minor at the time of her crime.

    As part of the sentence, Judge Moniz ruled that Carter could not make any money in connection with her case, saying that “part of the motivation for [the crime] … was a sense of self-aggrandizement. This court now orders that you are not to profit from the events of which you now stand convicted.

  2. #352
    So very tired raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12,104
    Rep Power
    21474855
    https://www.boston.com/culture/enter...ng-to-lifetime
    The premise of a Lifetime original movie set to debut this fall may sound eerily familiar: It?s the Michelle Carter texting suicide case, which gained national awareness when Carter was put on trial in Massachusetts for encouraging her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, to kill himself.

    ?Conrad and Michelle: If Words Could Kill? will be based on ?real-life events, court testimonies and authentic texts? from the case, according to a Thursday press release from the cable network, and will chronicle Carter and Roy?s ?turbulent tragic teen romance? that ?shocked the nation.? The made-for-TV movie will star Bella Thorne (?The Duff?) as Carter and Austin P. McKenzie (?Speech & Debate?) as Roy. It will debut on Lifetime on Sept. 23.
    http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/...6addd9397.html

    The state Supreme Judicial Court will hear the appeal of the controversial texting-suicide conviction of Michelle Carter in October.

    The state?s highest court is set to hear what are expected to be landmark oral arguments in the case on Oct. 4 on whether words alone are enough for an involuntary manslaughter conviction.

    Carter, 22, of Plainville, was convicted by a juvenile court judge in Taunton in June 2017 and was ordered to serve 15 months of a 2 1/2-year jail sentence. The sentence was stayed pending her appeal.

  3. #353
    Senior Member blighted star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Probably South Of You
    Posts
    11,280
    Rep Power
    21474854
    I really hope they haven't found some convoluted way for her to benefit from this new round of attention

  4. #354
    Senior Member queenaevadamthng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hogwaller, SC
    Posts
    4,217
    Rep Power
    21474847
    Too bad they can't put permanent gag order on the bitch


    "Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

  5. #355
    Senior Member blighted star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Probably South Of You
    Posts
    11,280
    Rep Power
    21474854
    A gag order & eyebrow enhancement restrictions

  6. #356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    2362242
    Anyone else see the Lifetime movie based on this case?

  7. #357
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    2362242
    This is old but an archive of her twitter account just re read the entire thread did not see posted.

    http://archive.is/7YnMN

  8. #358
    So very tired raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12,104
    Rep Power
    21474855
    https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02...to-go-forward/

    Michelle Carter has been ordered to appear at a Juvenile Court hearing Monday afternoon when Bristol County prosecutors will ask a judge to order her to begin serving her sentence for encouraging her boyfriend’s suicide.

    Carter, 22, of Plainville, found guilty in a jury-waived trial in 2017 in connection with the so-called suicide-by-text death of Conrad H. Roy III, has had an 18-month reprieve from reporting to a House of Correction while she appealed her conviction and 15-month sentence directly to the state Supreme Judicial Court.

    But Wednesday the SJC affirmed her conviction.

    Assistant Bristol District Attorneys Maryclare Flynn and Patrick O. Bomberg Thursday filed a motion in Juvenile Court in Taunton asking for her sentence to go forward, arguing that Carter is potentially a threat to herself and her community the longer the matter drags on.

  9. #359
    So very tired raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12,104
    Rep Power
    21474855
    https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/0...eme-court.html

    Lawyers for a woman convicted of encouraging her boyfriend to kill himself say they plan to appeal her involuntary manslaughter conviction to the U.S. Supreme Court.

    NBC Boston reports Michelle Carter's attorneys have also asked a Massachusetts judge to postpone a hearing scheduled for Monday in her case.

    Prosecutors plan to urge the judge Monday to order Carter to begin her 15-month jail sentence now that the Massachusetts' highest court has ruled in her case .

    Carter's lawyers want the 22-year-old to remain free while she takes her case to the Supreme Court.

  10. #360
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,139
    Rep Power
    3017950
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/michelle-c...ry?id=60991290

    Another Update

    Michelle Carter, who as a teenager sent texts urging her then-boyfriend to commit suicide, is heading to jail for 15 months, a Massachusetts judge ruled Monday.

    Carter, now 22, was taken into custody following a brief appearance in court.

    Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2017. She was sentenced to 2.5 years in jail with 15 months to be served and the rest suspended.

    Carter was allowed to stay out of jail while she appealed in the state courts. Her conviction was upheld by the Massachusetts Supreme Court last week.

    Carter’s attorneys then filed an emergency motion for a stay of sentence which was denied hours before Monday's court appearance.

    Carter’s attorneys said they will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

    "This case legally is not over," Carter's defense attorney said.

  11. #361
    So very tired raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12,104
    Rep Power
    21474855
    I'm glad they are making her serve the sentence at this point. It's been put off long enough.

  12. #362
    So very tired raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12,104
    Rep Power
    21474855
    https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/nat...508370811.html

    The wrongful death lawsuit brought against the Massachusetts woman convicted of sending her suicidal boyfriend a series of text messages urging him to kill himself has been resolved.

    Michelle Carter was convicted in 2017 of involuntary manslaughter in the 2014 death of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III. The 22-year-old Plainville woman, 17 at the time of Roy's death, began serving a 15-month sentence in February after the state's highest court upheld her conviction, saying her actions caused Roy's death.

    Eric Goldman, an attorney for Roy's mother, Lynn Roy, told NBC10 Boston the case has been "resolved" but declined to provide details.

    "I can confirm that the case has been resolved and a stipulation of dismissal was filed with the court. I am unable to provide additional information," he said in an email.

    Carter's attorneys, who have said they plan to take their client's conviction to the U.S. Supreme Court, also refused comment.

  13. #363
    So very tired raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12,104
    Rep Power
    21474855
    https://www.boston.com/culture/enter...g-suicide-case

    Illegal or just immoral? New film explores Michelle Carter texting suicide case

    Two years after Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in a case that gripped the nation, the director of a new documentary wants viewers to decide for themselves whether her actions were criminal.

    The two-part film, debuting July 9 on HBO, digs into the legal case against Carter and explores a different side to the young Massachusetts woman portrayed by prosecutors as a cruel manipulator who coaxed Conrad Roy III into killing himself for attention.
    Advertisement

    “There was this very simple story put forth that Michelle Carter was this good-looking ice queen that set about to kill a young man to become popular,” said Erin Lee Carr, the director of “I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth V. Michelle Carter.” ”I knew that that wasn’t going to be correct, but it would ultimately be the narrative that was set forth by the prosecution.”

    The documentary is coming to TV screens as Carter’s lawyers appeal her case to the U.S. Supreme Court. Carter, now 22, began serving her 15-month jail sentence in February, but her attorneys are expected to file their appeal with the nation’s highest court by July 8.

  14. #364
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    The HBO documentary was really well done and did a good job of presenting the case in the "trial by media" false perception kind of sense by having it split into two parts, with the first part being heavily influenced by the prosecution (and media perception) and the latter half examining the defense's case while still examining the prosecution and relaying the point that no one wins in this case. I'm actually kind of astounded that Michelle wasn't committed to a psychiatric facility because she is very clearly not mentally healthy and I do not think she is a sociopath. Narcissistic? Probably. Borderline? Perhaps. Prone to bouts of delusions and psychosis? Definitely. Unable to understand reality? Absolutely. I think the film did an excellent job exploring the entirety of Conrad and Michelle's relationship and it showed how this boy was intensely suicidal before he met Michelle, and while he may not have succeeded in killing himself without Michelle, he was at high risk for trying again. Given how many times he attempted I do genuinely believe another attempt would occur, whether or not he ever met Michelle. He also manipulated Michelle into believing his family was apathetic to his depression, he told her that his mother saw him reading about suicide methods on his computer and she just ignored it. He was trying to play it off as if his family doesn't care if he commits suicide. He even vaguely threatened her by saying he would hate her if she ever told anyone how he was feeling and what he was planning, so by telling someone, she might save his life but lose his "love", but by not telling anyone she kept him in her life and he died on her terms, which was easier for her to accept. By no means is what Michelle did right or excusable or justifiable, but I'm not entirely sure it warranted time in county jail when she would have benefited so much more from genuine psychiatrist rehabilitation. The two were both clearly very mentally ill; Conrad suggested them both killing themselves like Romeo and Juliet. For ages she told him life would get better and he had to have hope. I think she was really sick and genuinely believed that by giving up fighting his suicidal ideation and instead supporting his intense desire to die, that she was helping him.

    Her lies to her friends and his family are insane and it's really difficult to explain that. But what I wonder is if Michelle truly told him to get back in the truck, or if she only said that to Sam three months later in an attempt to get sympathy, or perhaps because the guilt of what happened was eating her alive. There is no audio or written text record of Michelle telling Conrad to get back in the truck. I don't doubt that it happened, given the break between their two phone calls and Conrad's tendency to back out of a suicide attempt out of fear while he was in the midst of attempting, but there is no way the Commonwealth could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she in fact spoke those words to Conrad. The intricacies of this case are so interesting, this case is so unique and I am in no way condoning Michelle's behavior; I just think it can be explained by something less vapid than "she persuaded him to kill himself because she wanted attention and sympathy." She only started agreeing to his plans to die several weeks before his death. Long before that she consistently tried to help him and he consistently told her that he was beyond help and nothing would make him want to live.

    Anyway, has anyone else watched the documentary?

  15. #365
    Moderator Jumaki15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Columbiana County, Ohio
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    21474847
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfyrr View Post
    The HBO documentary was really well done and did a good job of presenting the case in the "trial by media" false perception kind of sense by having it split into two parts, with the first part being heavily influenced by the prosecution (and media perception) and the latter half examining the defense's case while still examining the prosecution and relaying the point that no one wins in this case. I'm actually kind of astounded that Michelle wasn't committed to a psychiatric facility because she is very clearly not mentally healthy and I do not think she is a sociopath. Narcissistic? Probably. Borderline? Perhaps. Prone to bouts of delusions and psychosis? Definitely. Unable to understand reality? Absolutely. I think the film did an excellent job exploring the entirety of Conrad and Michelle's relationship and it showed how this boy was intensely suicidal before he met Michelle, and while he may not have succeeded in killing himself without Michelle, he was at high risk for trying again. Given how many times he attempted I do genuinely believe another attempt would occur, whether or not he ever met Michelle. He also manipulated Michelle into believing his family was apathetic to his depression, he told her that his mother saw him reading about suicide methods on his computer and she just ignored it. He was trying to play it off as if his family doesn't care if he commits suicide. He even vaguely threatened her by saying he would hate her if she ever told anyone how he was feeling and what he was planning, so by telling someone, she might save his life but lose his "love", but by not telling anyone she kept him in her life and he died on her terms, which was easier for her to accept. By no means is what Michelle did right or excusable or justifiable, but I'm not entirely sure it warranted time in county jail when she would have benefited so much more from genuine psychiatrist rehabilitation. The two were both clearly very mentally ill; Conrad suggested them both killing themselves like Romeo and Juliet. For ages she told him life would get better and he had to have hope. I think she was really sick and genuinely believed that by giving up fighting his suicidal ideation and instead supporting his intense desire to die, that she was helping him.

    Her lies to her friends and his family are insane and it's really difficult to explain that. But what I wonder is if Michelle truly told him to get back in the truck, or if she only said that to Sam three months later in an attempt to get sympathy, or perhaps because the guilt of what happened was eating her alive. There is no audio or written text record of Michelle telling Conrad to get back in the truck. I don't doubt that it happened, given the break between their two phone calls and Conrad's tendency to back out of a suicide attempt out of fear while he was in the midst of attempting, but there is no way the Commonwealth could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she in fact spoke those words to Conrad. The intricacies of this case are so interesting, this case is so unique and I am in no way condoning Michelle's behavior; I just think it can be explained by something less vapid than "she persuaded him to kill himself because she wanted attention and sympathy." She only started agreeing to his plans to die several weeks before his death. Long before that she consistently tried to help him and he consistently told her that he was beyond help and nothing would make him want to live.

    Anyway, has anyone else watched the documentary?
    I'm going to watch it either tonight or tomorrow.

  16. #366
    Senior Member Non_Saepe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    9006711
    I'd like to watch it too. Don't have HBO tho. Hopefully I can find it.

  17. #367
    Moderator Jumaki15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Columbiana County, Ohio
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    21474847
    Quote Originally Posted by Non_Saepe View Post
    I'd like to watch it too. Don't have HBO tho. Hopefully I can find it.
    I found it on Pirate Bay.

  18. #368
    Senior Member queenaevadamthng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hogwaller, SC
    Posts
    4,217
    Rep Power
    21474847
    I watched. A lot of people are now sympathetic towards her. It didn't change my mind one bit. She used his suicide to gain attention and sympathy. Of course she's got some mental issues. She's a manipulative witch who has some type of personality disorder. Conrad was no more than a fly she could pull the wings off to see what would happen.


    "Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

  19. #369
    Moderator Jumaki15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Columbiana County, Ohio
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    21474847
    Quote Originally Posted by queenaevadamthng View Post
    I watched. A lot of people are now sympathetic towards her. It didn't change my mind one bit. She used his suicide to gain attention and sympathy. Of course she's got some mental issues. She's a manipulative witch who has some type of personality disorder. Conrad was no more than a fly she could pull the wings off to see what would happen.
    I just got around to finishing it, and it did sway my opinion on the whole thing a small amount. As mentally ill as he seemed to be from his texts and other stuff, he was going to harm himself at some point. I'm not excusing or brushing under the rug what she did. It was abhorent. But they both seemed to be very unwell people

  20. #370
    So very tired raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12,104
    Rep Power
    21474855
    https://nypost.com/2019/09/19/suicid...parole-ruling/

    The Massachusetts woman whose heartless text messages goaded her suicidal friend into killing himself will get out of jail at least two months early regardless of a pending parole decision, according to officials — because she is a “model” prisoner.

    Since getting thrown behind bars in August 2017, Michelle Carter has been working in the jail kitchen and attending classes and programs; each month she does so, she earns another 10 days off her 15-month sentence, officials said.

    Carter is currently on track to be sprung in mid-March, rather than her originally set release in mid-May.

    “She has been attending programs and classes inside the jail, and she’s has a job inside the jail,” said Jonathan Darling, a spokesman for the Bristol County House of Detention, where Carter is one of about 100 female inmates.

    “She’s earned almost two months good time off,” he said. “Her original date was in May, and now I believe as of this morning she has earned enough that she could get out in the middle of March.”

    Meanwhile, parole officials told The Post that they will make a decision either tomorrow or early next week on a parole bid, made Thursday, that could get her out even sooner.

    Carter has received break after break in sentencing.

    After she was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in a 2017 bench trial, she faced a maximum sentence of 20 years.

    Prosecutors asked a judge to sentence her to seven to 12 years.

    Instead, the judge sentenced her to two and a half years prison, or 30 months.

    But those 30 months to as little as 15 months due to her juvenile status.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •