Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air Force Reserve Capt. Jamie Brunette (30) committed suicide two years after returning from Afghanistan

Air Force Reserve Capt. Jamie Brunette (30) committed suicide two years after returning from Afghanistan

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2125225

Suicide of Florida soldier recently returned from Afghanistan
    leads to questions of whether she was sexually assaulted overseas

A young soldier's suicide has left stunned relatives questioning whether she was sexually assaulted while deployed in Afghanistan.

Air Force Reserve Capt. Jamie Brunette shot herself in the head near her Tampa, Fla., home almost two years after she returned from overseas, authorities said.

Upon returning home, the 30-year-old began to withdraw and seemed reluctant to talk about her deployment, her sister and a friend told the Tampa Tribune.

On Feb. 9, she was found dead inside her Chrysler 200. A Smith & Wesson .387 handgun that she?d bought six months before was near her body.

"I suspect she was assaulted and she didn't feel comfortable reporting it for some reason and internalized the incident so she could finish her deployment, which she did with flying colors," sister Jackie Leverich, 40, told the Tampa Tribune. "It's not anything she told me, just from talking with all her friends this past week and piecing those things together. I am female active duty, 18 years in the Coast Guard. I am well aware of those issues, and that's my gut feeling."

Outwardly, Brunette was nothing but a success. She appeared to be a happy soldier, even videotaping a televised 2012 holiday greeting to a Florida friend during her deployment.

She had been named Contracting Officer of the Year by the Air Mobility Command for her work overseeing nearly $80 million in security contracts in Afghanistan.

Brunette left active duty in June after 10 years and was working to open Orangetheory Fitness with a husband-and-wife team while taking on a new role in the Reserves.

Photos from January show Brunette, dressed in a hard hat, smiling during construction of the gym.

But friends and relatives had started to notice signs of trouble. When a sister was married, Brunette seemed suddenly reluctant to talk about herself.

A roommate claimed she began partying hard while dating a new boyfriend and had admitted to suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

One of her partners in the fitness club, a fellow soldier, suspected she left active duty because of a bad experience overseas.

"I do not know the detail, but unequivocally I can say, yes, something happened, something that should never happen to a human," Air Force Lt. Col. Kurt Spranger told the Tampa Tribune. "Something happened and it was why she wanted to get out. So she wouldn't have to deploy again."

Still, she seemed to be handling her problems and moving forward. Her family was shocked when they learned of her death.

"She kept it hidden," Leverich told the Tampa Tribune, adding: "Whatever happened to her, she buried it, and I think it killed her in the end."
    http://mydeathspace.com/article/2015...om_Afghanistan
    Last edited by PeaceBeWithMe; 02-24-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Wow, she was gorgeous. RIP brave soldier

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Ugh, it's disgusting how many women are sexually assaulted in the military and either don't report for fear of retaliation or do report it and is basically ignored. They deserve the same protection afforded to anyone else. A girl I worked with a while ago was sexually assaulted, and continually harassed by the prick for a long time afterwards and absolutely NOTHING was done

She was a captain too...if she WAS assaulted and was afraid to report, then more than likely the person she was assaulted by was high up in the food chain. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Shut up, dick.

Wow , she is so so beautiful. RIP Jamie ! I hope justice comes to the monsters that hurt you

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitterbomb View Post
    She was a captain too...if she WAS assaulted and was afraid to report, then more than likely the person she was assaulted by was high up in the food chain. :(
    This. When I first saw this, sexual assault was the first thing that came to my mind. You can only hope that the person(s) who did this to her suffer greatly for their crimes, but this is the military, and they don't know how to treat women with much respect at all yet.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

And those fucks who abused her will come home and be revered as heroes, and go on to sexually abuse their girlfriends and wives or whoever..

But hey, at least they were fighting for your freedom while raping.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    And those fucks who abused her will come home and be revered as heroes, and go on to sexually abuse their girlfriends and wives or whoever..

But hey, at least they were fighting for your freedom while raping.

Why would a chick this hot bother to enlist? Sugar daddy? Video ho? So many other safer and more lucrative options.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Probably trying to make some stupid point that ended up fucking her in the ass.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Ugh. This is so fucked up. Gotta read this and learn more I guess...

uh...
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I was going to say biting her in the ass, but the pun was there. Too insensitive for you?

She was raped by her own people, I wouldn't be too worried about what I say.

nope. just not sure if it was intended. carry on.

I know I'm coming off crass, but the military fucking pisses me off for 197489378972985983275 reasons, and sexual abuse it as the top of the list.

I feel terribly for this girl and the realizations she probably came to.

and i know i'm coming off as sensitive, but i had just thought back to a comment someone made asking what makes one suicide more sympathetic than any other suicide and this one tops my list as a shining example of someone who had everything to live for - absolutely gorgeous and courageous enough to push through in a male dominated field - and she experiences something so terrible that she just can't live with it so she has to die.

whoever did this to her was a sick fuck who did it because he could with impunity and probably to put her in her place. it makes my stomach turn and my skin crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    and i know i'm coming off as sensitive, but i had just thought back to a comment someone made asking what makes one suicide more sympathetic than any other suicide and this one tops my list as a shining example of someone who had everything to live for - absolutely gorgeous and courageous enough to push through in a male dominated field - and she experiences something so terrible that she just can't live with it so she has to die.

whoever did this to her was a sick fuck who did it because he could with impunity and probably to put her in her place. it makes my stomach turn and my skin crawl.
    Totally agree. It's really disgusting when you think about it.

I'm thinking she went in with raving support from her family, with the spirit and heart in the right place to "make it" as a woman in the military, and she was repaid with ultimate betrayal from her peers, her leaders, her government... Then to top it off, her family knew she was battling demons but instead of coax her to seek help and aggressively attack the demons that were obviously eating her away, they celebrate her strength to deal with it "internally".

Sorry, but there's nothing fucking sadder. This was the complete destruction of a woman, inside and out, and it was done by everyone she trusted and looked up to in life. And I think she realized that.

that's some heavy shit man. the world needed her but turned its back. shes sorta like jesus. jkjkjk.

She was deployed for 10 years correct? So is it safe to assume this could have been an on-going incident with possibly more than one person sexually assaulting her? That had to be unbearable.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

or it could have been she saw friends killed?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    She was deployed for 10 years correct? So is it safe to assume this could have been an on-going incident with possibly more than one person sexually assaulting her? That had to be unbearable.
    Jesus fucking Christ.

This is what I'm thinking. And it included her higher ups, which was why she couldn't do shit about it.

I mean, she's hot. Horny pigs probably tore her shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAndy View Post
    or it could have been she saw friends killed?
    Did you read the article and just say "fuck that", or did you not read the article?

i admit, the first thing i thought when i read this was that i was surprised it took them so long to rape her. ugh.

but even if she was raped one time, you still have to live that shit over and over. especially if you have to see your rapist every day at work. every time you tell your story. there are a million triggers out there that people have to learn to navigate.

i used to stay at an air force base hotel every summer, though i've never been in the military. the last time i was there they had posters, and pamphlets, and signage everywhere about what to do when you're raped or how to avoid being raped. it was fucking sick and disturbing and it scared the fuck out of me as a civilian.

Did you read the article and just say "fuck that", or did you not read the article?
    i read the article, and i saw that 2 people mentioned they believed she was assaulted.

the friend mentions that something bad happened to her, like i said, it is equally just as possible that she witnessed death on daily basis and this contributed to her PTSD.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAndy View Post
    i read the article, and i saw that 2 people mentioned they believed she was assaulted.

the friend mentions that something bad happened to her, like i said, it is equally just as possible that she witnessed death on daily basis and this contributed to her PTSD.
    Air Force Reserves don't really "see death" on a daily basis, though. I have a close friend who's an AFR, who has served in the middle east for years, and he never went to battle. They do base work.

Thread Information