Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Space and astronomy

I was excited too, RBW. I planned to watch from my yard in South Florida. I can't see the actual launch from down here, but I can watch the rocket arc through the sky and it thrills the hell out of me. Watching an actual launch is on my bucket list though, we're thinking of driving up tomorrow.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I was excited too, RBW. I planned to watch from my yard in South Florida. I can't see the actual launch from down here, but I can watch the rocket arc through the sky and it thrills the hell out of me. Watching an actual launch is on my bucket list though, we're thinking of driving up tomorrow.
    We can't see the actual launch either, but can see it pretty quickly afterwards. I have not seen a rocket launch up close, but right after we moved here we drove over and saw a space shuttle launch on my birthday. My husband kept telling me not to get disappointed if it didn't go-that they never go when they are scheduled. This one went right on time and he was surprised. I told him they knew it was my birthday and didn't want to disappoint me. There is nothing like feeling the launch in your chest as you watch it light up and take off. Definitely something that should be on a bucket list!

I'm not ignoring it, this stuff fascinates me and I read it all. I'm just don't know enough about it to actually add anything to the thread. But I put the dates into my calendar so it will remind me to look skyward!
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Ok, I'm fascinated by planets and space and astronomy, etc., but I find solar eclipses underwhelming. The earth just gets a little gloomy and nothing much happens. Plus, I'm always tempted to peek because.... jeezus, it's a solar eclipse so something must be happening up there, right?

I did find this hilarious after the last big solar eclipse though:

Found this while browsing all things celestial tonight, and I have signed up to be alerted when the International Space Station flies over my house. PM only, it flies over at oh-dark-thirty too. I NASA for giving me the choice to opt out of the AM notifications.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/home.cfm

Found this while browsing all things celestial tonight, and I have signed up to be alerted when the International Space Station flies over my house. PM only, it flies over at oh-dark-thirty too. I NASA for giving me the choice to opt out of the AM notifications.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/home.cfm
    I used to do this via email, back in the old days. It's cool you can now get texts. Supposedly you can also get notified to see Elon's satellites fly over, but I haven't found it. Granted, I didn't look too hard, so I probably need to go back and look again. They fly over in a big line and it's supposed to be kind of cool. Of course, the flip side is that his satellites are messing up the night sky view.

Are you going to arise two hours before daybreak to find them? There's a lot of light pollution here, I doubt I'll be able to see them. And, of course, I'll be sleeping so.....

Are you going to arise two hours before daybreak to find them? There's a lot of light pollution here, I doubt I'll be able to see them. And, of course, I'll be sleeping so.....
    Sometimes I am up that early depending on my husband's schedule. Some days he has to go to work before God gets up. I am NOT a morning person though.

Has anyone seen the comet? The weather here hasn't really cooperated, but I want to see it.

Crap, I forgot. That was this morning, wasn't it? And I was AWAKE!!!!

ETA: Wait. That was the planets we had to wake up early for. When is the comet? So confewzed....!

Crap, I forgot. That was this morning, wasn't it? And I was AWAKE!!!!

ETA: Wait. That was the planets we had to wake up early for. When is the comet? So confewzed....!

The comet has been ongoing for a couple of weeks now. Check the 4th post down on this page for viewing specifics. I really want to see it!

This is about a week late, BUT.....

I got a text notification about the ISS cruising over my house, so I dragged my husband outside to watch it, not really sure what I was looking for. TBH, I spend a lot of time looking up at the sky and wondering what's out there. I did see the space station that night, and realized that I have seen it many times before. It looks like a big airplane with all white lights - none of them blinking or flashing, and it moves quite fast (17,000 mph!). I have sat and watched it on my mother's deck numerous times and wondered aloud about it, only to be told it's an airplane taking off or approaching Philadelphia. Yeah, I didn't think so....

Seeing the comet was cool. And for the first time I saw the milky way with the naked eye. Cool shit.

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    Seeing the comet was cool. And for the first time I saw the milky way with the naked eye. Cool shit.
    Dark sky viewing areas are so magnificent. I had no idea you could see so many stars with the naked eye until I went to an area out by NASA on the coast where there are no lights for miles.

I'm disappointed I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Dark sky viewing areas are so magnificent. I had no idea you could see so many stars with the naked eye until I went to an area out by NASA on the coast where there are no lights for miles.
    There is a Dark Sky Park near our home in SW Scotland. I never knew there were that many stars in the universe. It was breathtaking and mind boggling at the same time. There were stars on top of stars on top of stars.... and I felt like I could reach out and touch them.

I'm disappointed I missed that.

There is a Dark Sky Park near our home in SW Scotland. I never knew there were that many stars in the universe. It was breathtaking and mind boggling at the same time. There were stars on top of stars on top of stars.... and I felt like I could reach out and touch them.
    I don't know if it's an official Dark Sky Park, but Merritt Island is amazing! We went over there to kayak during the day with the manatees, and then at night to kayak in the bio bay. I know what you mean about feeling like you could reach out and touch them! I couldn't decide if the water or the stars were more breath taking!

(not my picture, but this is what it looked like)

It was amazing shit no doubt. We were at 12,000ft up at the continental divide on a night with a new moon. So many stars and shooting stars, crazy. My dumb ass was wondering why I couldnt see all the colors of the milky way. Seeing that comet was cool too.

It was amazing shit no doubt. We were at 12,000ft up at the continental divide on a night with a new moon. So many stars and shooting stars, crazy. My dumb ass was wondering why I couldnt see all the colors of the milky way. Seeing that comet was cool too.
    I would love to have seen that! I tried and tried to see the comet but it's been too hazy out here with storms and smoke from wild fires.

I would love to have seen that! I tried and tried to see the comet but it's been too hazy out here with storms and smoke from wild fires.
    Seeing space like that got me, I want to buy a telescope. I never thought stargazing would be fun.

Seeing space like that got me, I want to buy a telescope. I never thought stargazing would be fun.
    I actually recently bought a telescope but I haven't had a chance to use it. I will report back after I have used it. You can also do astrophotography with it, which sounds interesting.

https://www.celestron.com/products/n...ized-telescope

The Delta IV Heavy launch didn't go on Wednesday, it has been reschedule for tonight at 2:04am. Should be a nice display for the Florida peeps!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...id=mailsignout

I actually recently bought a telescope but I haven't had a chance to use it. I will report back after I have used it. You can also do astrophotography with it, which sounds interesting.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous that your telescope looks bigger than mine.

The Delta IV Heavy launch didn't go on Wednesday, it has been reschedule for tonight at 2:04am. Should be a nice display for the Florida peeps!

Thanks for the heads up, I've set an alarm. I know I'll be awake, I'll just fall down a rabbit hole and miss it.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous that your telescope looks bigger than mine.
    I got it over Black Friday on a super uber sale...that's the only reason I got a big one. And don't ask why I have had it 9 months and haven't used it...it's been a crazy year.

Boo, I stayed up and now it's on hold due to 'technical issues'.

Yo thats nice! I want one.

Thread Information