Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beauty queen Tara Grinstead missing from Ocilla, GA since 10/22/05

Beauty queen Tara Grinstead missing from Ocilla, GA since 10/22/05

I'm surprised we don't have a thread on her already.

They are draining a pond to search for her.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/cri...case/23184781/

Investigators drained a pond in Ben Hill County to search for evidence in the 2005 disappearance of Tara Grinstead.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-14-2022 at 07:07 AM.

Wow, I am surprised we don't have a thread too. It may have been lost in the great crash.

Hmmmmm. After so much time, I'm not sure what finding her might even accomplish. Can you even get any forensics from bones drifting in the bottom of a pond for so long? Sure, there's closure for the family, but, God. This is all just so horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Hmmmmm. After so much time, I'm not sure what finding her might even accomplish. Can you even get any forensics from bones drifting in the bottom of a pond for so long? Sure, there's closure for the family, but, God. This is all just so horrific.
    You could possibly tell COD (gun shot, knife wound on bones), confirm that she actually is dead, tell something from where she is found (one of the suspects may have ties to where she is found), etc. I would hope that if I go missing they don't just stop looking for me because I might just be bones at that point.

But if she's been under water for ten years, what could be left? They'll be lucky to find bits, no?

But she wasn't in the pond?

But if she's been under water for ten years, what could be left? They'll be lucky to find bits, no?
    I don't know, I've seen some amazing cases where they can tell a lot from just a small amount of evidence. I'm curious, do you think they should set a time limit and just stop looking for someone after that point? I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm seriously confused and wondering if I am missing something?

One of my ex co-worker's had a daughter that was found in a landfill after several years. They never gave up on looking for her, and they also probably didn't find much left when they did find her after all that time. They nailed the bastard that killed her though. They had no clue who it was until they found her. It was a serial killer and they hadn't tied her to him at all until right at the end where they found her after several years.

Oh, no. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just curious as to what kind of evidence they might hope to find as I was naturally - wrong or right - assuming there would be next to nothing left.

That pond is likely full of bones. Animal or otherwise.

I just feel heartsick for the family thinking about them sitting around waiting, possibly, for a chip or two.

It's just all so depressing.

If hypothetically, she was in the pond, she would probably be encased in something heavy to ensure that she hadn't floated to the top in all these years. If it was a barrel, cement block etc, her remains may be somewhat preserved.

I hadn't thought about that.

Poor girl.

Thanks for posting this thread, rbw. I'm glad this case is still being actively investigated.

Thought I'd add a little background info.

http://www.investigationdiscovery.co...ara-grinstead/

Tara Grinstead, a 30-year-old teacher and former beauty queen, disappears without a trace on October 24, 2005. Although there is no crime scene at her home, investigators find a latex glove lying in the front yard, indicating foul play.

Searching for clues, investigators delve into Tara's personal life and discover a complex series of relationships with men. They learn that she had a stormy relationship with her ex-boyfriend, a former police officer and Army Ranger. They also discover that, months earlier, one of Tara's former high school students tried to force his way into her house. On top of that, a business card left on Tara's front door belongs to a married police officer from a nearby town.

Investigators recover male DNA from the glove left in her yard, as well as a partial fingerprint. But they collect DNA samples from every male Tara might have had any contact with, and find no match for the DNA on the glove.

Just as police are running out of directions to turn, a man calling himself the "Catchmekiller" posts an anonymous video online, claiming to have killed 16 people, including Tara Grinstead. Officials raid his home, but the video confession turns out to be nothing but a bizarre hoax.

Today, five years later, Tara Grinstead's disappearance still hinges on finding a DNA match to the latex glove found outside her home. Her case is the largest active investigation by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Here's a pretty good little video:

The Crime Library has some really good info: http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal...instead/1.html (I love the Crime Library. I don't know why nothing at all has been posted there since August.)

I can't find the video, but I found the transcript for an interview Greta Van Susteren did with Tara's ex-boyfriend: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2005/11...ara-grinstead/
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

There is a lot of threads in this case, but I kind of lean towards the ex-boyfriend doing something to her. His alibi of doing a ride along that night isn't really an alibi if he got his cop friend to help (which is what I suspect). I've often wondered if the cop friend planted the glove as a red herring? I'm not 100% sold on the boyfriend as the suspect, but he gets my interest more than anyone else at this point.

http://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-new...PzvpSvwpI3hwM/

News conference at 3pm today. Rumor has it someone has been arrested.

They have arrested a Ryan Alexander duke and charged him with her murder.

His photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-new...PzvpSvwpI3hwM/

News conference at 3pm today. Rumor has it someone has been arrested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    They have arrested a Ryan Alexander duke and charged him with her murder.

WHAT?! STFU! I have to go research this! I never thought they would get anywhere with this case. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Edited to add, this is what I was curious about, how they got to this point and if he had ever been in suspect before.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/majo...cher/496761014
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-14-2022 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    WHAT?! STFU! I have to go research this! I never thought they would get anywhere with this case. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Edited to add, this is what I was curious about, how they got to this point and if he had ever been in suspect before.

Wow- there really is hope for these cold cases. Rest in peace, Tara and I hope the family finds some solace and justice, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wondery View Post
    Wow- there really is hope for these cold cases. Rest in peace, Tara and I hope the family finds some solace and justice, of course.
    Yeah, Jacob Wetterling last year and now this one-both are cases I thought would never be solved. There are so many old cases out there. I hope advanced CSI techniques and time and guilty consciences (or people getting mad at others and talking) play in these cases' favor, and they can get more of them solved.

I think Tara's family realized she was probably dead, but I know this had to be a blow to them in a way. I hope they can get the closure they so desperately deserve!

Oh, and one of the stories I read said that he was a student at the school she taught at. He graduated 3 years before she was killed.

I definitely had this in the never to be solved basket, along with Maura Murray. There were a ton of people who were under suspicion in this case, I bet they are living it up today.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Wow. It was surprising to see her name on an updated thread, as I never thought there would ever be any resolve.

She was killed while he was robbing her house

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crim...134598734.html

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    She was killed while he was robbing her house

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crim...134598734.html
    Wow. Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

A robbery? That was the motive?

Maybe just maybe this guy will give info about why he took her keys and purse but not her phone. Those are clues that leaves us all wondering in so many cases. Not that he can speak for everyone, I'm just curious for some insight, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

Found this on reddit, so I don't know if we should really believe it or not...but I'll post it anyway, since it does seem plausible.
    I'm from Ocilla GA where this took place...They are speculating more arrests..His friend helped him dispose of the body by burning it on family land..His friend is nowhere to be found...That is what is being said...Also he was not even remotely on the radar..He got drunk and ran his mouth to ex gf and when they split she ratted him out..Would have never been solved had it not been for the Jim Beam family
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    Found this on reddit, so I don't know if we should really believe it or not...but I'll post it anyway, since it does seem plausible.
    See, this is exactly what I was talking about earlier. Time passes, and people no longer have the relationships they once had with people, and then they start spilling the beans. I hope this happens in some of the other old missing persons cases.

Thread Information