Thread: Andrew Doro, 40, and Derek Doro, 8, killed when jeep falls through ice.

Andrew Doro, 40, and Derek Doro, 8, killed when jeep falls through ice.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/story...-ice/22346541/

Death of father, son on Lake Winnebago a 'freak accident'

Photo courtesy GoFundMe.

A father and son from Sussex died Sunday despite the efforts of emergency responders and medical teams after their vehicle broke through the ice on Lake Winnebago.

Winnebago County Coroner Barry Busby said Derek Doro, 8, died at Mercy Medical Center at 4:35 p.m. Sunday. The boy's father, 40-year-old Andrew Doro, died earlier in the day at Aurora Medical Center.

Flight for Life was preparing to transfer Derek Doro to Children's Hospital in Milwaukee at the time of his death, Busby said.

"There were phenomenal, heroic efforts to save these two individuals," he said.

Emergency crews were called just before 7 a.m. to the lake after the operator of an all-terrain vehicle called for help. The ATV operator saw the vehicle the Doros were in break through the ice about two miles east of the Merritt Street boat launch but did not see the occupants get out of the vehicle, Winnebago Sheriff's Lt. Gordon Ledioyt said.

Andrew and Derek Doro were both removed from the water by divers from the Oshkosh Fire Department. They were taken to local hospitals, where doctors continued life-saving measures, but both later died.

Don Herman, a lake expert with the Otter Street Fishing Club, said on Saturday night he had been in the area where the Doro's vehicle broke through the ice and did not see a crack in the ice. He said the ice is between 12 and 18 inches thick in the area, but warm temperatures on Saturday followed by cold overnight temperatures caused the crack to develop.

"This was a very freak accident," Herman said.

The crack opened near the tree line that marks the road system on the frozen lake. While the route has been marked, no roads have been plowed because of a lack of snow, which allows people to drive anywhere they choose.

Due to the changing nature of the ice, Herman said even if Andrew Doro had checked with a local fishing club about ice conditions, they probably wouldn't have known about the crack.

"The lake's never 100 percent safe," Herman said. "You have to pay attention. Tragedy happened on this 132,000-acre lake."

Jennifer K. Woldt: (920) 426-6676 or jwoldt@thenorthwestern.com; on Twitter, @ONW_Woldt.
    http://www.gofundme.com/Andyandderekdoro

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I will refrain from passing judgment about driving in a jeep on frozen ice since I live in a place where the only frozen things are in a freezer and I have zero experience or knowledge about life in frozen places or how common this is. Super sad, though. What a terrifying way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    I will refrain from passing judgment about driving in a jeep on frozen ice since I live in a place where the only frozen things are in a freezer and I have zero experience or knowledge about life in frozen places or how common this is. Super sad, though. What a terrifying way to go.
    It's super common. There are lakes here that winter festivals are held on. Or people drive across it to get to the bar, etc.

The lake this happened on is in an even colder part of the region, so I'm sure they do a lot of the same things. I wouldn't blame this on stupidity at all. It's just a way of life in cold areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    It's super common. There are lakes here that winter festivals are held on. Or people drive across it to get to the bar, etc.

The lake this happened on is in an even colder part of the region, so I'm sure they do a lot of the same things. I wouldn't blame this on stupidity at all. It's just a way of life in cold areas.
    Wow, I never knew that. When I first read the story my thought was "why would someone drive across a frozen lake???" but I'm from Cali so I don't ever (thankfully) deal with frozen lakes and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Gotta find a way to not go insane in the winter. Might as well make use of what you can...

Our lakes get like, 15 inches of ice during a typical winter, and it's even colder (on average) where this guy is from.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Gotta find a way to not go insane in the winter. Might as well make use of what you can...

Our lakes get like, 15 inches of ice during a typical winter, and it's even colder (on average) where this guy is from.
    Yeah. They do it. They even put out little shelters so they can ice fish in comfort.

They also do it here, which is just insane. It can get very cold in the winter, then we can have weather like we are having now with 60's and 70's. Really messes up the ice, you know? The people that do the ice stuff around here are simply nuts.

http://www.ksfy.com/home/headlines/M...289733251.html
    Last edited by puzzld; 01-28-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yeah. They do it. They even put out little shelters so they can ice fish in comfort.

They also do it here, which is just insane. It can get very cold in the winter, then we can have weather like we are having now with 60's and 70's. Really messes up the ice, you know? The people that do the ice stuff around here are simply nuts.
    I wont touch frozen lakes if we've had so much as one 60 degree day, which we had this winter. Our friends are going on an ice fishing trip (they keep space heaters in these things) and I had to cancel because nope nope nope.

I wont touch frozen lakes if we've had so much as one 60 degree day, which we had this winter. Our friends are going on an ice fishing trip (they keep space heaters in these things) and I had to cancel because nope nope nope.
    Smart.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information